Search Unity

Utilities Script Inspector 3

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Flipbookee, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

That should be super easy - I'll add that as an option :)

Novack likes this.
  2. Jimww

Jimww

Cool, I have another one :)

How about a right click option: "Goto Type Definition".

99% of the time, that's what I really want, rather than to go to that one line where I defined it. It would cut out that intermediate and really unnecessary trip, saving me from selecting the actual type and again clicking "Goto Definition" to finally get into the details of the type itself.

Flipbookee likes this.
  3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Jimww That's an amazing suggestion! :D I'll add that right now :cool:

Victor_Kallai and Jimww like this.
  4. castor76

castor76

I get this error on Unity 5.4.0 b18

GetString is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'FGCodeWindow'.
    See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
    UnityEditor.EditorPrefs:GetString(String, String)
    ScriptInspector.FGCodeWindow:.cctor() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGCodeWindow.cs:244)

There are others but I think this is related to SCI3. Any ideas?

5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I am aware of that issue and it will be fixed during this week. I'm planning to release a couple of fixes, a lot of optimizations and a few new features in a few days. I think it's safe to ignore that error for now.

6. castor76

castor76

Got it! Cheers.

Flipbookee likes this.
  7. Jimww

Jimww

Might be possible to do the same thing with parentheses.? Would be very useful when adding on conditions to if statements.

Flipbookee and Novack like this.
  8. Novack

Novack

And brackets!

Flipbookee likes this.
  9. Jimww

Jimww

An easy way to turn on/off and navigate bookmarks would be great. This is fun..

Flipbookee likes this.
  10. Jimww

Jimww

A few SI Console Suggestions:

Within the detail window at the bottom:
    Just after the error's coordinates and before the word "error", an added line break would make the actual error's text more easily read, as that text would then begin all the way to the left and not likely wrap to the second line.

Make the file name containing the error more visible. As it is, it's buried within the complete path. Maybe an option to not show the whole path? This would be useful in the error listing area especially.

While the actual error's coordinates are given, they too are buried in this error description.

Would be nice if when I double clicked an error line, it would use the error's column coordinate. That might be tricky I guess..

Parse out the error code and provide clickable link to ms error codes:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b66k5sz9.aspx

__

Editor Ideas:

Have a mode where you can display Test Files side by side with code files. I was thinking when in this mode, there would always be 2 instances of SI windows open. When selecting a code file on the left, the corresponding xxxxxTest.cs file would be loaded on the right.

Integrate something like the code generation library that Entitas uses, to allow for a right click "generate test code" when over a method declaration. This would insert the boiler plate test stuff into a corresponding xxxxTests.cs file.

Just being able to navigate in and out of test code would be really helpful. Maybe a system to help visually track test code coverage as well.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Flipbookee likes this.
  11. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Jimww, I like all your great ideas regarding test files and code generation! :) That would be really cool :cool:

That would also be very cool! Just I don't know (yet) how to translate an error code to that kind of URL...

It should be easy to find the column in an error message and make the cursor jump there. :) It's a bit more difficult to reformat the text displayed in a log entry because my code doesn't do that. That's done by Unity's original, built in Console window... I'll try to think of something though, there might be an easy solution. ;)

BTW, Go To Type Definition feature was just completed and it entered into Si3 Perforce repository :cool:

upload_2016-5-28_1-28-51.png

12. Jimww

Jimww

Cool, Will "Go To Definition" still jump to SymbolDeclaration? Then just a "Go to Type" should work right?

Also, I think the rules of punctuation state that prepositions in titles should not be capitalized. It makes sense because it helps draw focus to the more important words.

Flipbookee likes this.
  13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Go to definition still works, of course. It would go to definition of validDeclarations in that example ;) and the type of that symbol is List<SymbolDefinition> - a constructed generic type, therefore go to type definition gives two options to choose from: List and SymbolDefinition. :)

If the symbol is of a single type then Go to Type Definition menu item will go directly to that type (i.e. no submenu items).

A symbol of a more complex type may give more options, for example a Dictionary<string, List<SomeClass>> will give options to go to definitions of Dictionary, string, List, or SomeClass. If SomeClass is a partial class there will be even more options, to go to each part of the definition :cool:

Good point, I'll change that ;)

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Novack likes this.
  14. Jimww

Jimww

If I'm hovering over a class I want to learn about, I'd probably be the most interested in navigating to "SomeClass" vs navigating to the reference documentation pages for "List", "String", etc. Would be nice if those doc type navigations could be the ones in a secondary menu. I love just right clicking and moving the cursor slightly down (could you auto highlight that first option?) and clicking that magic button to take me to where I want to go, without having to think and make choices. That balance between simplicity and functionality is a tricky one.. Look forward to playing with it!

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Jimww yes, I understand your point. Navigating to SomeClass is what you'd want to do. The .Net class names in that menu will actually navigate to the source code of those classes (on the web) and not to the documentation pages. It may make more sense to have one option called "Go to Type Definition (SomeClass)" and another one with a submenu for less important types. But then I'd have to call that also "Go to Type Definition" and put the .Net types in its submenus. But I feel that would be very weird - two items called "Go to Type Definition" next to each other. There will be only one "less important type" in case of List<SomeClass> - so only one menu item in the submenu - also weird. In case of Dictionary<MyKeyStruct, SomeClass> there will be two more important classes and one less important that goes in a submenu - so three similar options starting with "Go to Type Definition" ;) Count in that SomeClass might be a partial class, so that will need submenu items as well o_O so we'll end up with total mess in such cases... So I think I'll just keep it as it is :p and there's that "(.Net)" thingy to warn us that the definition is in .Net code libraries.

Unfortunately I can't highlight any item in the popup menus - there's no such option in Unity. Those are just standard menus coming out of the operating system, so I'd have to reimplement all that to have my own fully controlled popup menus - too much work with too little benefits... Nice idea though ;)

16. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

A quick progress update:

There was some really nice progress over the last week in improving the code analysis and optimizing it for speed and memory consumption. I also changed how reloading works after a successful compile - now Si3 becomes responsive much faster after that regardless of how many scripts you keep open! :cool:

I was hoping to have the new version with all the latest improvements (still without Rename though) ready the past weekend, but after spending some time trying to isolate those changes only I had to give up :p there are more improvements in the code analysis that are started but still not finished and that's complicating the things. And I won't be able to finish that in less than a week :( but hey, don't be sad because that means all the changes so far will get tested more thoroughly :)

Stay tuned for more...

Novack and Victor_Kallai like this.
  17. Jimww

Jimww

I slowed him down :p

Another option could be that instead of "Go to Type" or "Go to Definition" and then possible submenus, just "Go to MyClass" and "Go to List"? forget the submenus and put everything in the first menu.? Not that many.. But I hear you.. and thanks for being as open as you are to suggestions. I've always wanted to work on a development tool like this. So many places to take this.

Novack and Flipbookee like this.
  18. local306

local306

Hey @Flipbookee, I think I found a bug regarding colour themes and how they are displayed within the editor. I've been rolling with Monokai and I noticed recently that some of the colours changed dramatically and no longer look like the original theme.

I manage to trace it back to when I switch from Gamma to Linear colour spaces with the Player Settings. It would be nice if these settings didn't impact the themes since I prefer to work using the latter colour space.

19. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @local306, I have a fix for that as well! I just forgot to mention that in the list above. ;) it will be available in this first next release next week. :cool:

20. local306

local306

Flipbookee likes this.
  21. baby_jeans

baby_jeans

So I've had an unfortunate string of bad luck and haven't been able to use Script Inspector since 5.3.5 at all. Whenever I try to open any files, Unity hardlocks, and eventually locks my entire machine. Seems like there's an infinite loop somewhere I'm hitting. I started a brand new project with a brand new install, but same luck. :( This is also on both OSX and Windows, though OSX doesn't freeze the entire machine.

22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, that's not good! :eek: Say, are there any changes in your copy of Si3? Are you using the latest version 3.0.12? Is it working on any older Unity versions?

Anyway, Si3 doesn't work in Unity 5.3.4p4 and all newer versions released since then due to the assemblies reloading bug after a script compile error! There was an unsuccessful and incorrect attempt to fix that in Unity 5.3.5p2, but unfortunately that's also very broken due to the same bug, just maybe a little less in some situations. Using any of these broken builds will make Si3 and many many other editor extensions unusable.

I've reported the bug with a lot of details and they are (I hope) working on it. There is one recently added issue in the issue tracker that describes the symptoms of the bug here:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ation-error-which-occurs-in-the-editor-script
    and the description looks like it was derived from my description. Unfortunately my description of the actual cause of the issue is not included, so this may not be enough again. The last bug report was reported similarly in a wrong way, describing the symptoms only without mentioning the actual cause of the issue, so someone fixed it by treating the symptoms instead which was apparently enough for that issue to get resolved :(

23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey folks, I've decided to offer Si3 for a very special price of $35 instead of $55 for very limited time. This is a very special and unique opportunity as this is the first time Script Inspector is available with a discount since 2012. Anyone on a tight budget can now get access to a professional tool that will make them change the way they look at Unity and what editor extensions can do for them.

This is not an official sale supported by the Asset Store and it isn't really advertised anywhere, so please let your friends know about this and I hope they will appreciate that :)

Novack likes this.
  24. baby_jeans

baby_jeans

I just realized I reported the 5.3.4 issues to ya before, so I apologize for making another post - the hard lock just seemed scary. It is 3.0.12, and it seems to be fine when I reinstalled 5.3.3.

Do the latest versions of 5.4's beta happen to have any solutions for the issue or is it plaguing 5.4 too??

Flipbookee likes this.
  25. Novack

Novack

Hey mate, I have a question, whats the status regarding xml comments/docs?
    More specifically, the triple "///" for summary, param, and returns.

Edit:

Btw, an snippet for automatically having this would be great:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. /// </summary>
    2. ///
    3. /// </summary>

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    Flipbookee likes this.
  26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

The issue was introduced in 5.3.4p4 and it hasn't been transferred to 5.4 beta so far... There's a Unity Forums thread here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...ditor-window-when-code-doesnt-compile.406379/

27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

The status is done, just try it and it should work as expected. :cool: Let me know if it doesn't ;)

The snippet adds a <summary> tag and also <param> and <returns> tags whenever that makes sense. :cool:

28. Novack

Novack

Really?!o_O

Thats cool, how do I make it work? The intellisense hints does not seem to grab the docs for a given method, nor I seem able to invoke the snipet!

29. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

It should just work, just type a triple slash on top of a method and it will expand... If it doesn't I'd like to see that script, pretty please.

30. Novack

Novack

Ohhh I see, pretty slick!
    It happened that I swapped to a project with an outdated SI.

However, the intellisense hints still do not bring up the details described in this docs...

Edit: Maybe this was not yet an implemented feature, sorry to pester I was not sure what to expect around the XMLDocs thing. The snippet is gorgeous!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Flipbookee likes this.
  31. Novack

Novack

Tiny bug report:
    In long method parameter declarations (ie: "Dictionary<string, string> fields"), it makes the hint parameter highlighting to word wrap when getting highlighted (when the parameter is in bold in the hint).
    This would be prevented by simply making the hint size a bit wider.

Flipbookee likes this.
  32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yeah man, showing XMLDocs in hints is not implemented yet, but one day it will be ;)

Ah, yes! Very good point! I've noticed that too, but I didn't take a note of that so it got forgotten. :p Thanks for reminding me! :)

Novack likes this.
  33. Smolli

Smolli

Hi @Flipbookee , by coincidence I got note of your Script Editor and gladly noticed it was at a special price. I pretty much directly grabbed it :) And so far I love it, brought me back to enjoy coding again. So thanks for that!

Feature wish:
    Hmm, I don't know if it's possible, but this is a thing I normally use quit a lot and it would be great to be able to do it in Script Inspector, too. It's selecting a few lines of codes and then creating a function for this automatically. The code lines are swapped out for the new function and the new function has the code directly inserted.
    Doesn't have to be ultra complicated, simply saving me to do the cut&paste, moving the cursor around to find a place etc. Makes refactoring much simpler.

34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks a lot @Smolli for the feedback! :D Enjoying coding in Unity was Si3's main goal, glad to hear it does that :cool:

Yes, I'll start adding refactoring features from version 3.1 which in the beginning will have the Rename Refactoring and then the other refactorings will follow, including Extract Method, of course. I've been working on Rename for quite some time so far, but once that's done the other ones will be much faster to implement. :)

35. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

Hi @Flipbookee . I love the new features, this is becoming the best plugin for Unity. I wish the dev guys there will realize that and stop wasting time on Mono Develop or other 3'rd party solutions, and integrate this inside the editor as a default.
    I just wanted to know if you made any progress on the ability to pretty print the code. I did some research on my own and I found this, but I'm not sure how to port this for Unity editor. https://github.com/ghost6991/Jsbeautifier this is a JavaScript beautifier, but I guess it could work on C# as well. If could take a look and tell me what you think about this, it would mean the world to me. Unfortunately, I do not have so much time on my hands right now to play with this, I have a thesis to write. Thanks again!

Flipbookee likes this.
  36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @Victor_Kallai :)

No, no progress with auto-formatting yet... I've been trying to wrap up what has already been started so that I can release all that. That's almost complete now, I'm just doing some final test before publishing the new version... I'll do the auto-formatting right after this, and it shouldn't take too long as I don't want to have too long update cycles anymore like this last one.

MikeTeavee and Victor_Kallai like this.
  37. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Believe it or not, I managed to submit a huge change list to my Perforce with the following description:

- Tons of optimizations for speed and memory consumption
    - Fixed C# grammar rules for "orderby" keyword in LINQ expressions
    - Members are now listed in groups by #region in code navigation toolbar
    - Added option to disable members grouping by #region
    - Better handling of C# operators
    - Improved C# symbol resolving for method groups used as delegate targets
    - Improved handling of constants and literals in C#
    - Fixed C# code navigation toolbar for destructors, operators and constant declarations
    - Improved incremental semantic analysis
    - Fixed resolving of base types for some types defined in DLL's
    - Improved resolving of method overloads
    - Fixed autocompletion for namespaces distributed across multiple assemblies - thanks @DshFox
    - Fixed resolving of parameters names in some specific cases
    - Added C# rules for implicit conversions of numeric literals

That means now I can finally release those changes with all the other ones done since January! :D Stay tuned...

Novack and Victor_Kallai like this.
  38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Breaking news! :D

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.13

Got just released on Asset Store! :cool:

This is the list of changes (but it may not be complete):
    - Tons of optimizations for speed and memory consumption
    - Members are now listed in groups by #region in code navigation toolbar
    - Added option to disable members grouping by #region
    - New option: Always Open in External IDE - thanks @UnLogick
    - Added Go to Type Definition feature - thanks @Jimww
    - Added support for 4th (Go Back) and 5th (Go Forward) mouse buttons on Windows
    - Added option to keep changes in memory without asking - thanks @Jimww
    - Added C# rules for implicit conversions of numeric literals
    - Better handling of C# operators
    - Improved handling of constants and literals in C#
    - Fixed C# code navigation toolbar for destructors, operators and constant declarations
    - Fixed a typo in OnSelectionChange() magic method - thanks @bocs
    - Fixed the error logged by Unity 5.4 beta
    - Fixed autocompletion for namespaces distributed across multiple assemblies - thanks @DshFox
    - Fixed C# grammar rules for "orderby" keyword in LINQ expressions
    - Improved C# symbol resolving for method groups used as delegate targets
    - Improved incremental semantic analysis
    - Improved resolving of method overloads
    - Fixed resolving of base types for some types defined in DLL's
    - Fixed resolving of parameter names in some specific cases
    - Fixed theme colors when Color Space is set to Linear
    - Fixed a index out of range error - thanks @thienhaflash
    - Fixed "second F12 goes back" after moving the caret with a mouse click - thanks @castor76
    - Fixed a tab-switching bug
    - Improved text buffer loading speed after reloading assemblies
    - Fixed handling of changes made in-memory after reloading assemblies

Please update your projects :) and don't forget to use that opportunity to rate and post or update your reviews! ;)

Thank you all and enjoy! :cool:

39. Novack

Novack

Woot! Congrats for another awesome release man!

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @Novack! :) Not all requested features made it in this release, but the changes were growing too far already and I had to wrap them up at some point.

I'm looking forward for some feedback when you guys get some time to try it out :) especially regarding the new much faster reloading of assemblies on successful compile, performance improvements, and members grouping by #region for those who like using regions.

Novack likes this.
  41. mcmorry

mcmorry

Hi @Flipbookee, I have some feature request for your Console. I know you are pretty busy with much more important features, so just append it at the end if you like them :)

1. option to have single line inside console log (Most of the time the second line is just spam and wasting space) and reduce the size of the icons to have narrower rows.
    2. a way to define wrapper methods, so that when double clicking the code will open on the next call in the call stack (for example to skip wrapper custom DebugUtils.Log methods that internally use Debug.Log)
    3. allow to double click inside the bottom part of the console where the call stack is displayed so to avoid using the context menu.
    4. Add a search box
    5. Add custom filters (saved searches) bound to custom icons (with counters :p), beside the info/warning/error icons

Looking forward for refactoring in SI3!!! I really can't more of MonoDevelop!
    Keep going. Your work is really amazing!

42. Jouni-Mannonen

Jouni-Mannonen

Thanks @Flipbookee for the new version. :) I went in again and added my preferred pageup/pagedown behavior - that is, holding the vertical position of the current editor line static on the screen so that you don't end up looking for the cursor with your eyes and sustain equal amounts of view above and below the line. This matches the default behaviour of Visual Studio, Notepad++, Notepad, WordPad and Word .... pretty much any and every editor I can think of, actually. If you don't want this as a default, I'd love to see this as an option. :)

So instead of pageup "pushing" the cursor up by a screenful of lines leaving the cursor on the top line, this way the source scrolls down by exactly one screen's worth and the cursor remains at the same visual position. Also, this means a combination of pressing pageup + pagedown lets you peek at the code a screenful up or down where you're at, without losing your scroll position.

In any case, thank you for the update!

upload_2016-6-28_1-54-37.png

Flipbookee, mcmorry and Novack like this.
  43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Jouni Mannonen Yes, I forgot about that in all the rush to get the important fixes released first... Thanks again for the code and I'll add it with the next release :cool:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  44. baby_jeans

baby_jeans

I'm gonna test later today, but it looks like 5.3.5p6 might fix the script compiling issue!

• (804864) - Editor: Fixed an issue causing unnecessary script compilation, and improved compilation error handling
    • (804139) - Editor: fixed an issue where custom windows could be removed when encountering errors in user editor scripts.

45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I just installed Unity 5.3.5p6 it and seems like the bug is gone now :cool:

Time to celebrate, I guess :)

baby_jeans, JoeStrout and Novack like this.
  46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

And for those like me who don't like using regions this might be a good enough reason to start doing that. ;) Just imagine if you'd have members grouped in groups like: message handlers (magic methods), static methods, serialized fields, interface implementations, or if you wish even things like: public members, nested types, old functionality, and whatnot! :cool:

47. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

@Flipbookee The best practice is to keep the classes small (under 400 lines) and take advantage of encapsulation - Unity is really good at that. And if you keep the classes as small as possible, you do not require regions. But that's just my opinion... I guess it depends on the project

Flipbookee likes this.
  48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Victor_Kallai yes, I agree but somehow I tend to make my classes really long :p and yes, it depends on the project, but my point was about the editor - the IDE must work well in all situations, right? Hopefully this feature makes working with big classes a bit easier :)

A Go to Any Symbol feature with fuzzy search similar to Open Any File would be even better! I promised that feature in Si3 some long time ago, it doesn't take too long to implement that, so I'll try to keep my promise these days :cool:

49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Breaking news! :D

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.14

...got just released on Asset Store! :cool:

Please update your projects! This version is mostly about bug fixes, one of which is very important IMO as it addresses the issue reported by several users with floating Si3 tabs not always opening on double-click in the Project view!

Here's the full list (although a bit short this time ;)):

New in version 3.0.14:
    - Search field shows "no results" when no results are found
    - Disabled smooth scrolling for mousewheel events - thanks @Novack
    - Fixed positioning of floating Si3 tabs - thanks @mcmorry, @JoeStrout, @SquareZhao
    - Fixed color theme selection for text assets - thanks @2dgame
    - Other fixes...

Enjoy! :cool:

JoeStrout and Novack like this.
  50. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You da man. What city are you in? If I'm ever there I really must insist on buying you a beverage of your choice.

(And if the Asset Store supported gifting, I would be buying Si3 for every Unity developer among my friends & family, too!)

Flipbookee likes this.