Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey my friends, there were a lot of positive reactions regarding the Script Inspector 2 here in the forum, and only one review in the Asset Store (thanks Patrick ;)), so feel free to share your thoughts there too if you think it deserves that. Thanks! ;)

2. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Just wondering, is "search (find) and replace" in the work? That's another feature I would like to see.

Like Little Angel mentioned -
    Intellisense autocompletion., Find/Replace, Bracket Completion would be some of my top feature request along with txt file support :)

3. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I was just thinking about that "search and replace feature" and I came up with couple of ideas I thought you might be interested :

I think the strongest point of Script Inspector is its interface simplicity - so instead of 2 lines of search boxes that would normally be the case for "search and replace" - I thought just simplify it down to one box :

Search term on the left, replacing text on the right

I thought the up and down arrow is better to be on the right along with "replace text" button (the "tick" icon) for better interface usability

And finally, I think the "results counter" is probably not needed... if not, at least move it out of the search box. Also added clear text field button for the "replacement text" field

4. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks for the awesome reviews, guys! :D

@AndyGFX: Thanks a lot man! I would really appreciate if you'd say what can I do to "earn" that last missing star there ;)

@Indie Nirvana: That's the most amazing review I've ever seen for any asset in the Asset Store!!! :D I read it many times today :p and believe me, it feels great to know there are people out there who appreciate that much what I've been doing so far, and that there is actually a very good reason to continue. Thanks! :D

@Everyone else: I would appreciate a lot some 2 or 3 minutes of your time spent writing your reviews, in exchange for my time spent creating this... well, besides those couple of bucks I already charged you but I really hope that wasn't too much and you don't regret ;)

5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Great suggestions! :) I like the result counter outside of the search field the most. I had a little different idea about the replace function, but now I'm not sure as this also looks very cool :) The search box needs some work anyway so it will get improved and extended with all the fancy features you may think of. :cool:

Support for text files is still WIP and it will be released very soon as version 2.1, while auto-closing brackets, smart indent, and such may come just before auto-completion, or maybe at the same time with that.

Still, I hope you guys will enjoy using it as it is in the meantime ;) Feel free to drop your awesome ideas and make Script Inspector 2 even better.

6. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Jaimi McEntire: Thanks for your great review! :)

I'm still working on the word wrapping feature and I'll be lucky if I finish it before the weekend. It may look as a very simple feature but it's actually much more than just finding where to wrap words. That's the easiest part, but then that changes the rendering, cursor movements, screen coordinates mapping to positions in text buffer etc... so I'll keep you updated ;)

7. andymads

andymads

Good product, but how do I stop the SI Console tab from appearing (docked) when I open my project?

Basically, I get the 'Failed to load' tab error when I go to another project that doesn't have Script Inspector.

8. Novack

Novack

Thats a good point actually!

Maybe a check style option that allows SI2 to open the ConsoleTab on startup, so it would only do on projects where it is installed, and other projects will not have any issues. Can the docking place be saved?

9. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Hi mate,
    This is not related any editor component. Unfortunately its Unity issue. It keeps remember previously created windows and their positions and when the
    related editor loaded, its render in it. But the editor scripts not exists, it just keeps window open.. Was reported that bug. And still exists.. :)

10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yup, I was just about to say the same... There's nothing I can do to solve that issue unfortunately... except maybe for the SI Console tab, because that one is a little bit specific, i.e. it only works if the original Console tab is visible, and it makes sense to be docked right next to the Console tab. With a little bit of luck (depending on order of events) it might be possible to close the SI Console tab through the scripts just before unloading the project, so that windows layout would get saved without it, and then to reopen the SI Console when the other project is loaded with that same script, which would of course happen only if the script is present in that project too. :) Let me just try that quickly now and I'll let you know...

11. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Baah, that didn't work :p but seems like it might be possible to solve all such issues in a more general way that would work for any EditorWindow and for any extension. It's kind of more complicated and needs more time. I'm still working on text files support feature so I'll look into this again some other day, may solve a lot of headaches for all of us.

12. andymads

andymads

I want to report a bug with v2.0.

I have a material selected in my project window, and I press Enter to rename it (on Mac) but instead a new Script Inspector window opens with one of my scripts showing.

$Screen Shot 2013-02-11 at 10.27.39.png

EDIT:

It's worse than this. Double clicking a script opens the window too, rather than opening MonoDevelop.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey andymads, the Enter key is my fault, sorry, but the doubleclick is a feature ;). These both can be disabled in the dropdown menu on the wrench toolbar button in that popup window. I'm not close to my PC now, but I'll post the hot fix for that just a little later. I suspect that's part of my test code which I guess I must have forgotten to remove before submitting it. Thanks for finding that!

Now on that doubleclick, yes it's a feature, enabled by default since the Script Inspector 2 is an editor for scripts, right? And that option is normally supposed to stay on as there are still many options available to open the script in MD if you still want that, for example select the script and press Enter, or right-click on it and choose Open, or press the Open button in the upper right corner of the inspector when it's selected... Opening it in the popup window is much faster though, and still gives you a nice view on the script as MD and let's you edit it if that was your intention. At any time you can easily switch to MD by pressing Cmd-Return, and MD will set the cursor on that same line so you can continue... In fact those popup windows are supposed to stay open if you are working with them so you can edit your scripts right there in Unity! Still, the choice is yours.

Sorry again for that bug, I'll send you the fix very soon...

14. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Flipbookee, just a quick suggestion - can you include all the CURRENT DEFAULT hotkeys in text file/manual in the next release? It can get a bit hard to keep track which one is current which one isn't without digging into the source code.

15. andymads

andymads

Yes, but do you think it's good etiquette to override behaviour like this? Wouldn't it be better to allow the user to enable these settings if they want them? I've got into the habit of doing things in Unity a certain way.

I originally got Script Inspector because I like the way it formats the script in the Inspector window. Not sure I want it changing editor behaviour without my say so.

16. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

To be honest, I really wasn't sure what's better to do about that, but I had to make a decision quickly. My reasoning was that people rarely read the manuals so if it was turned off by default many people wouldn't even notice that. And it kind of made more sense to me that most of the users would want that to be on. I see, I didn't anticipate it might be annoying for those who don't want that, even more if it isn't obvious how to turn that off... I'll be more careful with such decisions in the future, thanks for the suggestion! You can turn that option off and Script Inspector 2 will remember your choice.

Here's the hot fix for that Enter bug:

Open FGCodeWindow.cs (in Script Inspector 2, of course ;)) and remove the selected lines (lines 64 to 68 inclusive):

$MaterialsHotFix.jpg

Now save that (Cmd-Option-S) and Unity will recompile and reload the extension. See now, this is magic, you've just used a tool to modify that very same tool!!! ;)

Sorry about that bug again, and thanks a lot for finding it!!!

17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Sure, I'll add them all in a txt file so you can open it in a Script Inspector tab and keep it on side of behind some other tabs for quick reference. Thanks, cool idea! ;)

18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Now this is cool! I couldn't resist to not post this screenshot :cool:

$WordWrapping.png

WIP, still...

19. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

AWESOME. Just awesome. I am just so glad I bought this. :)

This is already perfect as it is. Now just Intellisense Autocompletion is left to make this a perfect 10+/10 product!

20. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Just had a thought, would it be hard to re-architecture Script Inspector so you can have an Inspector option panel for keyboard assignment?

Basically, you have a list of keyboard assignment save to a file (as config.cs?) Which can be dynamically inserted into Script Inspector's FGCodeWindow.cs upon modification from the option inspector panel.

21. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

yess! This is indeed awesome! :) Cant wait for the new update!

22. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I've pretty much ditched any other code editors and have stopped paying attention to SublimeText, as this does as much with a LOT less hassle.

23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks man! :D

...and debugging to make it 11 out of 10? ;)

Well, I was thinking a config file would be nice for that, but then I realized that such settings would have to be global for all projects and local for every user in team environments. Which means both, my idea and yours are bad, those settings must go in the EditorPrefs, along with some UI to access that. And it would require less efforts or re-factoring than word-wrapping for example.

Thanks a lot! :)

Awesome! :cool:

Word-wrapping turned out to be more interesting than I thought! I was procrastinating in the beginning a lot (who wants to work on splitting sentences into words when there are so many other interesting things to do?) so I've added many tiny features and a couple of handy shortcuts. That line highlighting is one of them. At the end I realized it's actually fun to look for some efficient solution for word-wrapping that wouldn't affect the performance. I was stuck with that for a couple of days, but finally I think I found a nice solution, not fully implemented though, but I hope it will be ready in about 2 days...

24. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Yep! But I am not really expecting debugging to work. Its no biggie really. I am only expecting Script Inspector to be used to fix up code here and there as I do the real debugging in MonoDevelop. Script Inspector is just meant to be FAST FAST FAST ! :D Not to be bog down by complex feature like debugging. I think Auto-Completion/Intellisense is what I (and probably everyone)'s most wanted feature right now (after that txt file/wordwrap is done).

But if you really want the debugging - check out PlayMaker, uScript, and Antares Universe, they all have debugging feature built in. So its not impossible.

I personally think you just need to concentrate on the core feature sets - make Script Inspector as fast and as stable and as optimize as possible. The features are pretty much almost complete now. Oh and before I forget - don't forget SEARCH AND REPLACE !!!

So I would rate (in order of difficulty) the features I would like to see in the future :

1. Search and Replace
    2. Keyboard Assignment
    3. Auto-Completion / Intellisense
    10. Debugging
    :D

25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Wait a second, you bought all those three and you're still saying Script Inspector is the best extension available in Asset Store? :D Wow, I'm flattered, again!

Sure, I miss the auto-completion the most of all those... But a simple debugging feature allowing me to toggle a breakpoint on a script would be so awesome and still it could be simple enough to not affect the performance. Every day I'm in situations where I simply want to know whether a part of my code is executed or not, how often that happens, what's the call stack or values of some variables. I'm using Debug.Log for such simple cases because running MD, attaching it to Unity, finding the lines of code to toggle breakponts, switching back to Unity and running it until it hits the breakpoint while keeping an eye on taskbar to see if MD wants the focus, switching back to it, etc. is really big pain for me compared to just a simple Debug.Log line. Now if I could do all that by simply toggling a breakpoint inside Unity, and if that would offer me all or most of that, it would be enough in most common cases, while for deep debugging I can still go through all that pain and use MD.

26. jashan

jashan

Thank you for posting the fix regarding the Enter-"bug" ... I guess on Windows, you could probably still go with Enter - just don't do it on the Mac ;-) I believe there's a standard key for opening files on the Mac as well but I'm not sure what it is right now (I do use keyboard shortcuts a lot - but seemingly not for opening files ;-) ). But since the file is shown in the inspector immediately when it is selected in the project view, maybe a key for opening the file isn't really necessary anyways ;-)

Overall, I have to say, Script Inspector/Editor is pretty awesome. One minor issue: I believe the default color coding isn't available in the list of color codings that you can select via the context menu. And speaking of color codings: Having the default Visual Studio dark style available would be awesome.

27. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Awww, don't say that, don't make me choose!

(But I will secretly admit Script Inspector is the best :) )

You mean like this?

I suppose maybe if we could get a color theme editor?

Updated Feature Request:
    1. Search and Replace
    2. Keyboard Shortcuts Assignment
    3. Auto-Completion / Intellisense
    4. Color Theme Editor
    10. Debugging!!

28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I tried to handle the keyboard in the Project view but it didn't work because Enter key for opening assets gets processed before the callback, so we only receive "used" events on Windows, but on Mac seems like this callback happens before processing Return key events, which I didn't know at that time and I didn't notice anything unusual on Windows, so I forgot to remove those few lines there. :-\

Well, I was always using the default theme in Visual Studio and I didn't know there's default dark style? What's that? Is that in VS 2012 maybe? I'm still on VS 2010 :p

:cool:

That looks gorgeous!!! And now that's my color theme in VS too, just downloaded it from http://studiostyl.es :)

A color theme editor may come even sooner because I'll have to add a settings page anyway, as the current wrench menu got overcrowded I think...

29. jashan

jashan

Upgrade if you can - VS 2012 is awesome :) I believe it's something that was added for 2012 - and I guess the reason is because in the normal style, VS 2012 looks pretty terrible (you also absolutely have to hack your registry to remove that stupid ALL CAPS MENU #§$%!! ... but once those two things have been done, VS 2012 is really awesome ;-) )

30. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey Folks!

Script Inspector 2.0.2 is available now on Asset Store! :) No, no, no, there's no support for text files yet ;) this only fixes the Return key issue in Project tab on Mac, and also adds support for "AltGr" keyboards to make my German friends (and possibly other nationalities) happy.

Enjoy it! :D

31. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yay! This thread's title just got changed to something that makes much more sense now! ;)

I hope your subscriptions would still work... :confused:

32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Keyboard handling works now! :)

Mouse handling doesn't work yet :p, that's the next and I hope the last thing missing...

Can someone suggest me how to capture the screen into an animated GIF maybe?

33. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I use this software called Gif·gIf·giF

It captures everything (either a window you specify or an area, or the whole screen) including the mouse pointer. You can also specify the frame rate and other settings. It captures straight to gif. Very nice and simple software. You can download it as trial but will expire after 30 days.

This is what the captures looks like :

http://www.peda.com/ggg/

Besides that, there is also TechSmith Camtasia Studio.

But it looks like it takes a while for Camtasia to recompress the video to animated gif. Also you need to capture first, than edit in Camtasia studio (drag the video to timeline) and then finally output to animated gif. Sound a lot more trouble than that Gif·gIf·giF where it just saves straight to gif (trouble free!).

Other than that, it can get more complicated - where it requires multiple softwares (screen capture program + recompression program to compress to animated gif).

34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I know about Camtasia... I was actually looking for something small and simple. Gif·gIf·giF sounds perfect but it doesn't run on Win64 :(

35. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yep, it doesn't even install on Windows 7...

I found that one too, really nice looking and simple, but it just crashes whenever I try to use it. :(

Then I tried a couple of other similar applications, and all of them were either not working, or looking like 20 years old, or try to install various junk, etc. I've spend maybe more than one hour and I'm still not able to capture anything... I'm thinking, maybe I'll just send you the code and you'll capture it for me? :p

37. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

It seems Cropper Plugin v1.3 will crash when trying to capture Animated GIF for a lot of people. Try the older version of the plugin v1.2.2.
    http://cropperplugins.codeplex.com/releases/view/37787

Found another two :
    Screencast-O-Matic
    http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/update-10-2011

GIF Recorder
    http://www.gifrecorder.com/download.htm#.USRav_IoRjk
    This one specifically says it supports Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. So it *should* work for you :)

To be honest, I think its even MORE complicated if I am to capture it for you LOL. The computer I can do screencapture I do not (and cannot) have Unity on it. The computer (OSX) that does have Unity doesn't run screen capture software.

38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Woah! I just learned that MonoDevelop doesn't support word-wrapping at all! Not even for plain text files :)

@I am da bawss: Thanks man for all those links! I'll try to find something that works and I'll post the capture here. Word-wrapping is fully working now! :cool:

39. jashan

jashan

If you're on the Mac, I can very much recommend ScreenFlow ... I've just used it yesterday to create the "video release notes" for ScoreFlash V3.1 ;-) ... it would capture full screen res if I wanted to (2560x1440) ... but I felt 720p is actually better ;-)

I'm not really sure how to go from a captured move to animated GIF ... first search result: HOW TO: Make animated GIFs from QuickTime movies

40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks jashan, I may try that too... For now Screencast-O-Matic did the job :) It's a great and simple application, although it lacks framerate control, but the default seems to be fine. Here's what I got:

41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hi! I'm back again :) ... I had to fix one serious issue in the Favorites Tab and I didn't get any chance to work on finishing the Script Inspector 2.1 over the weekend. But that's done now and I'm back on this project again :) There's no much work left before the release, mostly optimization and testing. If any of you is interested to give me a hand with testing I'll be glad to send you a pre-release copy ;)

42. Venged

Venged

When do think the code completion and tips will be complete or added? That is the only feature that I still use Monodevelop for. What I mean is like if type OnCollision or something a menu pops up with choices that I can click on in puts that word in.

Thanks,

43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Code completion will take at least 3 weeks. But don't take this as a promise because this is all done in my free time, and since that comes in random amounts it's really difficult for me to estimate. The good things are that I already know everything I had to learn for implementing such feature, I've done a little bit of the GUI, I'm extremely interested to work on that, and same as for you it's the only feature that makes me switch back to Visual Studio from time to time. And I really don't like to use Visual Studio anymore because my laptop has only 4GB of RAM with no option to add more so those 300MB that VS takes are golden for me! I've given up of MonoDevelop long time ago, but sometimes I still have to use it for debugging. I hope one day I may be able to solve that too and convert Unity into a fully integrated development platform, well, at least from the programmer's point of view...

44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks Yusuf for the great review! :D

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

I've switched over to doing most of my coding with this now. While Code Complete would be great, I'm still hoping you can get in shader editing (and other text files) soon.

46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

It's great to hear that! :)

Text editing is done now, and I just added support for editing shaders. I couldn't resist after such comment ;)... I'll try to add shader specific syntax highlighting too, then I'll only have to update documentation, add new screenshots, pack it and submit it to Asset Store...

47. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Woah... wait... shader syntax highlighting?!! OMG!! <passout>! :D
    Not really expecting it but its a pleasant surprise!

48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

There we go :cool:

$ShaderLab.png

Sorry, no CG :p... yet

49. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Looks great!

/me updates his projects.

50. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks man! :D There are still at least 2 important bugs left that have to be fixed before releasing this...

I had to put the SI2 under stress for testing purposes, so I thought maybe instead of typing in some nonsense I could do something that might be useful... and here's the result of that:

$Shader-Monokai.png

Improved syntax highlighting for shaders, fixed recognition of indented preprocessor directives, support for italic highlighting styles (dynamic fonts only), language constants, Monokai theme... :cool:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013