Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks so much, @adamgolden! I always appreciate support like this, and I think it's essential for keeping my motivation high as it's been over these 11+ years. Without it, I'd have given up a long time ago :cool:

I hope you enjoy working in Unity like never before! And who knows, maybe I'll even earn a nice review from you :rolleyes:

I haven't noticed that, so thanks for reporting it! I'll check...

Stexe and adamgolden like this.
  2. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

This turned out to be a bug in changing fonts - the font doesn't change actually, but it only changes the calculations for the size of characters while still using the previously selected font. That's wrong, of course, and I've fixed it already for the next release.

adamgolden and blacksun666 like this.
  3. davidang

davidang

Hello @Flipbookee

Is a little bit hard to find the info i need, but may i ask, is there a quick search file open like in visual code? I just want to jump to a file. Right now i still have to navigate to the project window and look into the folders to open the file.

Flipbookee and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

You mean when doing a search in the project from the si3 search window?

Then when the results show up a way to ping the files?

Thats what I’m looking for.

Flipbookee likes this.
  5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Lars-Steenhoff, I think @davidang is looking for a way to quickly find and open a file, something like this command in Si3:
    upload_2023-11-13_14-34-7.png

So yeah, @davidang, Alt+Shift+O is the hotkey you're looking for, I think.

There’s this list of (almost) all Si3 hotkeys for Windows:
    https://cheatography.com/sarper/cheat-sheets/script-inspector-3-windows/
    and for Mac:
    https://cheatography.com/flipbookee/cheat-sheets/script-inspector-3-os-x/

I hope that helps, but let me know if you meant something else... By the way, I replied to your email regarding this same question, you must have missed it or it went into your spam folder.

davidang likes this.
  6. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here, but it sounds intriguing! Can you explain, please? :)

7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Right let me try to explain it:

When doing a search the results are shown in this window:
    Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 09.44.03.png
    1.When clicking on a line it opens the script in SI3. thats good ( for example 183 etc in this case )

2. When clicking on a .CS script nothing happens. I like it to ping the script in the project window.
    So I can locate it quickly, now I would have to manually go to the script location and when its deeply nested it can take a bit of time. ( SVNContextMenusManager.CS in this case )

Flipbookee likes this.
  8. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see, yeah, that makes a lot of sense... Thanks for another great suggestion! :cool:

lclemens and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  9. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ScriptInspector.MethodGroupDefinition.CollectCandidates (System.Int32 numArguments, ScriptInspector.Scope scope, ScriptInspector.ParseTree+Leaf invokedLeaf) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:7144)
    ScriptInspector.MethodGroupDefinition.ResolveMethodOverloads (System.Int32 numArguments, ScriptInspector.Scope scope, ScriptInspector.ParseTree+Leaf invokedLeaf) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:7358)
    ScriptInspector.MethodGroupDefinition.ResolveMethodOverloads (ScriptInspector.ParseTree+Node argumentListNode, ScriptInspector.TypeReference[] typeArgs, ScriptInspector.Scope scope, ScriptInspector.ParseTree+Leaf invokedLeaf) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:7081)
    ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition.ResolveArgumentsNode (ScriptInspector.ParseTree+Node argumentsNode, ScriptInspector.Scope scope, ScriptInspector.ParseTree+Leaf invokedLeaf, ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition invokedSymbol, ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition memberOf) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:14632)
    ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition._ResolveNode (ScriptInspector.ParseTree+BaseNode baseNode, ScriptInspector.Scope scope, ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition asMemberOf, System.Int32 numTypeArguments, System.Boolean asTypeOnly) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:16152)
    ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition.ResolveNode (ScriptInspector.ParseTree+BaseNode baseNode, ScriptInspector.Scope scope, ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition asMemberOf, System.Int32 numTypeArguments, System.Boolean asTypeOnly) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:15057)
    ScriptInspector.FlatExpressionResolver.ResolvePrimary () (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:11294)
    ScriptInspector.FlatExpressionResolver.Resolve () (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:11130)
    ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition._ResolveNode (ScriptInspector.ParseTree+BaseNode baseNode, ScriptInspector.Scope scope, ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition asMemberOf, System.Int32 numTypeArguments, System.Boolean asTypeOnly) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:17103)
    ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition.ResolveNode (ScriptInspector.ParseTree+BaseNode baseNode, ScriptInspector.Scope scope, ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition asMemberOf, System.Int32 numTypeArguments, System.Boolean asTypeOnly) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:15057)
    ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition._ResolveNode (ScriptInspector.ParseTree+BaseNode baseNode, ScriptInspector.Scope scope, ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition asMemberOf, System.Int32 numTypeArguments, System.Boolean asTypeOnly) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:17052)
    ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition._ResolveNode (ScriptInspector.ParseTree+BaseNode baseNode, ScriptInspector.Scope scope, ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition asMemberOf, System.Int32 numTypeArguments, System.Boolean asTypeOnly) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:16846)
    ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition._ResolveNode (ScriptInspector.ParseTree+BaseNode baseNode, ScriptInspector.Scope scope, ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition asMemberOf, System.Int32 numTypeArguments, System.Boolean asTypeOnly) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:16673)
    ScriptInspector.FGResolver.ResolveChildren (ScriptInspector.ParseTree+Node node) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:20284)
    ScriptInspector.FGResolver.ResolveNodeInternal (ScriptInspector.ParseTree+Node node) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:20229)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    ScriptInspector.FGResolver:ResolveNodeInternal(Node) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:20233)
    ScriptInspector.FGResolver:ResolveNode(Node) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:20130)
    ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor:GetTokenStyle(SyntaxToken) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:6062)
    ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor:DrawLinesInView() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:5966)
    ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor:DoGUI(Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:5055)
    ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor:DoGUIWithAutocomplete(Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:2469)
    ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor:OnWindowGUI(EditorWindow, RectOffset) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:2238)
    ScriptInspector.FGCodeWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGCodeWindow.cs:1565)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:190)

This error comes up when scrolling in a script

Mac Unity 2022.3.16

Flipbookee likes this.
  10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Lars-Steenhoff, that's an error in my code, it looks like. I just published a new update before seeing your post. Could you update and check if that error is still happening?

11. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Looking at the code changes for the latest release, I'd say that error can still happen. I'll fix it!

adamgolden and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

yes you are right still happening, will try it again after the fix

Flipbookee likes this.
  13. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The release itself has many nice things, thanks for adding the ping when searching assets it will save me time!

Flipbookee likes this.
  14. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think I found a bug in the latest version, when SI3 Is installed the foldouts are rendered white when collapsed.
    When I remove SI3 from the project it renders normal.

white
    Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 02.24.34.png

normal
    Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 02.24.28.png

Flipbookee likes this.
  15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ho, ho, ho! Look here, Santa has a present for you ;)

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.1.6

is available on the Asset Store
    New in version 3.1.6:
    - New font: JetBrains Mono
    - New option to choose the access modifier for generated Unity magic methods
    - Fixed GUIStyle of the collapsed UnityEvent property drawer header - thanks @Lars-Steenhoff
    - Fixed a null reference exception - thanks @Lars-Steenhoff
    - Fixed a null argument exception
    - Fixed a typo in the UI

New in version 3.1.5:
    - C# support improvements:
    * infering return type of lambda expressions in block syntax - thanks @zeiksz
    * dictionary initializer lists
    * 'using' local variable declarations
    * 'private' and 'private protected' modifiers on accessors
    - Updated support for the latest version of Hot Reload plugin
    - Reload externally modified files if Auto-Refresh Assets is turned off
    - Code generator for overriding virtual properties - thanks @GrassWhooper
    - Added auto-generate for more magic methods / Unity messages
    - Ping the asset on doubleclicking its path/name in Si3 find results tabs - thanks @Lars-Steenhoff
    - Fixed displaying text with both Word Wrap and Code Folding turned off - thanks @JoeStrout
    - Fixed selecting fonts - thanks @adamgolden
    - Fixed the 'base' type of interface types - thanks @GrassWhooper
    - Fixed foreach iterator variable type inference from a generic enumerator
    - Fixed GUI style of the search bar for Unity dark theme - thanks @Lars-Steenhoff
    - Fixed indentation with spaces on pressing the tab key - thanks @halley
    - Fixed GUI error on right-clicking the SI Console - thanks @MrProtek
    - Fixed Shift+Wheel for horizontal scrolling in latest Unity - thanks @DestrucSean
    - Fixed Si3 property drawer for UnityEvent properties in Unity 2022.2+
    - Fixed showing text while loading after reloading assemblies
    - Fixed vertical text misalignment in some cases
    - Fixed showing constructor name in the code navigation toolbar
    - Fixed unwanted scrolling on changing font size
    - Fixed names of SI tabs listed in the Window->Panel main menu

I hope this will make your holidays more enjoyable!

Happy coding :cool:

Unifikation, Novack and adamgolden like this.
  16. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey there, I wanted to post a quick reminder here that Si3 is still on 50% sale, and the sale is ending in less than a day, so this might be the last chance to grab it at half price for those few remaining fellows out there who are still struggling with only external IDEs.

This might be literally the last chance ever to get it at a discount because this sale went so bad for Si3 that I don't think the Asset Store would put it on another sale ever again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. ch1ky3n

ch1ky3n

ouch, Unity 2023.2.5f1 messed up
    upload_2024-1-12_7-59-50.png

Flipbookee likes this.
  18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yeah, they messed up in Unity 2023.1.0, but luckily, I fixed that in Si3 v3.1.0. Check the release notes:

Just update Si3 to the latest version, which currently is 3.1.6, and don't forget to post a nice review if you haven't done that yet :cool:

19. ch1ky3n

ch1ky3n

thank you!!

But, It is already 10 years ++

We want Script Inspector 4 With tons of new feature !!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
    Flipbookee likes this.
  20. ch1ky3n

ch1ky3n

By the way, i deleted the asset from my app/localroaming/Unityassetstore
    redownload it again from package manager
    and open fresh project in Unity 2023.2.5f1, and it still messed up..

Flipbookee likes this.
  21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

That’s impossible, it’s been fixed in version 3.1.0 and I tested it with Unity 2023.2.5 - it works great. Please check what version is shown in the Si3 About window (About is the last option in the “gear” toolbar button). Also check the version stated in the comments at the beginning of any of the Si3 scripts, and if that’s different than the version in About it means you have the latest files but they didn’t compile, so then find the the compile error and fix it to make the new version of Si3 start working.

if none of that helps, I can send you latest version as an attachment, just let me know.

22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Did you know? Si4 will include debugging :cool:

adamgolden, blacksun666 and lclemens like this.
  23. ch1ky3n

ch1ky3n

No!!!!
    Why Me..... Screenshot 2024-01-15 180016.png

Flipbookee likes this.
  24. ch1ky3n

ch1ky3n

\
    And also able to display xml documentation like this ...;);););) Screenshot 2024-01-15 180755.png

Flipbookee likes this.
  25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see this is happening for real, but only with the Monaco font in the latest Unity.

Could you use some other font until I discover what's going on?

27. ch1ky3n

ch1ky3n

You're right, I feel dumb for not trying other type of font, thank you
    PS : Still waiting for SI4 ......

Flipbookee likes this.
  28. Mansatu

Mansatu

There seems to be an issue in Unity 2021.3.24f1. As soon as I select a script and then another Prefab or GameObject, the inspector scrollbar disappears. The editor itself works very well.

Flipbookee likes this.
  29. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @Mansatu! I'll check that...

30. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

No worries, I'm glad you reported it so I can fix it.

;)

31. GoodAUB

GoodAUB

this is an amazing tool. I hated jumping between Visual Studio and Unity.
    I have one question... how do I make script inspector 3 the default inspector when clicking on the errors in the console?

Flipbookee likes this.
  32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Cool, thanks @GoodAUB! :rolleyes:

The default options of Si3 should be set to do that for double-clicking entries in the Console or the SI Console. The SI Console is slightly better because it also shows the call stack on right click, like this:
    upload_2024-1-20_19-59-57.png

Please note the ticked option in this context menu, "Open Call-Stack Entries in Script Inspector". Ensure it's ticked to keep opening SI Console log entries in Si3.

There are also these global options in the "gear" toolbar button in Si3 (the first two menu items, and the submenu items of the third):
    upload_2024-1-20_20-4-16.png

These options control which types of assets will open in Si3 and which should open in the external IDE.

Finally, keep in mind that holding down the Ctrl key while opening an asset temporarily flips all these options, so if they were set to open that asset in Si3, the Ctrl key will make it open in the external IDE.

I hope this helps - please let me know :)

33. Drakenroft

Drakenroft

Firsts of all, thanks @Flipbookee to have made this plugin, it is simply a dream became true, i had Si3 now for quite some time (a bit more than a year) and it's what i always wanted from Unity, an integrated Code Editor (and with this quality!) grants a quicker and snappier workflow across every OS (i usually switch between many machines all with different os and versions), and i just love to have an engine that feels more completed, this should have been part of Unity all along, Godot did ship with his Code Editor from day one.
    But love to Si3 aside, may i ask how to download older versions?
    I often play around with older Unity versions especially when i'm on one of the retro machine i have with WinXP, i know that Si3 is born with Unity 4, but i can't find a way to download the old version that were compatible with Unity 5.2.5 / 5.6.7 and 2017.2.5.
    Also just for curiosity i found one of your old video about Script Inspector 2, did this work on Unity 3.5? I often play around with that version too (a lot of nostalgia ahahaha), is it downladable anywhere?

Flipbookee likes this.
  34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @Drakenroft! :rolleyes:
    (Please post a review if you haven't done that yet - it would mean the world to me!)

I have all the older versions, so I'll find which version works in Unity 4 and send it to you. I'm pretty sure it worked up to version 3.0.33, and then I gave up supporting those too-old Unity versions. The Asset Store Publisher Tools stopped working in them quite a while earlier, so I couldn't upload new updates for those versions, but I kept Si3 compatible with them for a couple of years more.

Yes, Si2 worked in Unity 3.5 but without autocomplete, as that was the main new feature of Si3 when I released it in 2015. I'll send that as well if you think it might help.

35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, you already did that! :eek: (but I didn't receive a notification)
    upload_2024-1-21_21-27-18.png
    Thanks so much for the five stars! You made my day! :cool:

36. Drakenroft

Drakenroft

No thank you for your product! Really a must-buy, and also thanks a lot for your support with the older versions

Flipbookee likes this.
  37. Alaadel

Alaadel

How to change the default c# file template please?

Flipbookee likes this.
  38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hiya @Alaadel! Si3 cannot help much in customizing the C# template. The templates are defined inside the Unity installation folder. You can edit them as you like following this guide:
    https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/210223733-How-to-customize-Unity-script-templates

That guide might need an update for the latest versions of Unity as I see that the content of the template is slightly different than in that article:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5.     #ROOTNAMESPACEBEGIN#
    6. public class #SCRIPTNAME# : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    9.     void Start()
    10.     {
    11.         #NOTRIM#
    12.     }
    14.     // Update is called once per frame
    15.     void Update()
    16.     {
    17.         #NOTRIM#
    18.     }
    19. }
    20. #ROOTNAMESPACEEND#
    I guess you'll only have to make sure you leave the special tags as in the original template that comes from Unity.

I hope this helps, but let me know how it goes. :)

P.S.: Now that you asked this, maybe I should add something in Si3 to make editing the templates easier... I'll think about that, and thanks for the idea!

Alaadel and Stexe like this.
  39. Alaadel

Alaadel

Flipbookee likes this.