Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Little Angel, I'm absolutely flattered!!! :D
    Thanks for the feedback!

Cool, I just sent you a PM with download link.

2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

And just to follow up, I had a few concerns/issues and it turns out at most if not all of them had already been addressed, but I didn't know about them!

Like quick search hot keys, comment toggle hot keys, indent hot keys, and more.

I can't wait for official documentation!

3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, sorry Venged, I missed your post... No, UnIDE doesn't have debugging in it, neither will this release of Script Inspector. But I'll do my best to get that in if it isn't impossible. My initial experiment showed it might be doable, not so easy though. I'm talking here about real debugging with breakpoints, stepping over/in/out and inspection of variables. Now if that turns out to be impossible then at least some simple form of debugging will come for sure, sooner or later.

4. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks again for the this nice overview and your feedback last days!

I have to also mention that BIG credits for the current state of Script Inspector 2 must go to Novack and Xeir who were sending me great feedback and had some awesome suggestions with Beta 1 and 2. Most of that is already in Script Inspector 2 and it would never become what it is now without them! Thank you guys!!! :)

5. Novack

Novack

Thank *you* for such a great work man!

6. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Script Inspector 2 is done now! :D

I'll still have to make screenshots before submitting it to the Asset Store, but if you would like to have it earlier just PM me and I'll send you a link for download. I was aiming to get it done and published before this weekend, but I missed that by a little bit :p so after I submit it today I guess it should be available early next week.

As I've promised this will be a free upgrade for all of the existing licensees, by simply taking the update from the Asset Store. Please note that you'd have to remove the previous version (even if it's a beta or RC), restart Unity to avoid conflicts and then download and import the new version. Also, the name of the extension will most likely be changed to Script Inspector 2.

Of course, once it gets accepted in the Asset Store the price will be $25 for any new purchases, or more precisely $35 with 29% discount (which then equals to $25) till the release of the code completion feature, hopefully very soon with version 2.1.

I'll let you know once it's available in the Asset Store. ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  7. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

I'm using it last few days. I use Visual Studio even for small changes. Big disadvantage of it takes long time to open and close even for small changes. And you've to update solution file when you add something new to project. This sometimes causes damage.. With this version of Script Inspector, i dont have to open VS for small and fast changes. It's already replaces standard script view and i was happy with it. And with editing stuff, i'm happier about this..

I hope sometime it will have code completion soon. Thanks for great tool Flipbookee!

8. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey Yusuf, thanks for your feedback! I've added the double-click functionality to open scripts directly from the Project tab, as you suggested! That was easy :cool:... And pressing Enter on the selected scripts would still open them in the external IDE which (despite the fact that it seems to be impossible to handle that event :p) is cool because you can still choose where to open them! I've also added an option in the wrench menu to disable this feature, if someone wants that.

9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I've submitted Script Inspector 2 to the Asset Store yesterday, and trying to save some time I did that without any screenshots, but with the promo images only. So I'll make some screenshots and post them here first, then later once SI2 gets accepted I'll add them to the Asset Store too...

10. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Give us a shout when it's ready!

Looking forward to it "officially".

Using the RC regularly (and it's in my standard assets for easy access).
    ~/Applications/Unity/Standard Packages

Wish list (if not already implemented):
    <cmd/ctrl> + g / <cmd/ctrl> + <shift> + g for find next/previous!

I'm happy with and quite pleased with: <cmd/ctrl> + <shift> + <up>/<down> for find next/previous when the pointer is in a word (brilliant!), but I find that my muscle memory wants to do <word> + <cmd/ctrl> + f to find a word I don't have visible, then instinctively finds <cmd/ctrl> + g / <cmd/ctrl> + <shift> + g for find next/previous to search the script for additional instances of the word.

11. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Script Inspector 2 got just released on Asset Store!!! :D

Please remove the old version (even if you have the beta or RC version) and restart Unity before updating!

I tried to update right after it become available and I got the old version :-S, not sure why but it might be that I tried that too soon... Then I tried again, now with "Redownload and import" and it worked fine. Weird...

So, enjoy now!!! :cool:

And don't forget to let me know how you like it, ok? ;)

12. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

These are F3 and Shift+F3 currently, but I'll add those two as double-shortcuts.

Yep, I can't live without these two... I have these assigned to Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down in Visual Studio as I never use the defaults for scrolling up and down.

I'm thinking now maybe it would be better to extract all these in some config file. But let me check, it might be easy enough to just change a line of code or two...

13. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ooh! Shortcut config file... mmmm.

<updating>

14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ok, here it is... Open FGTextEditor.cs (using Script Inspector 2, of course ;)) and search for F3. You'll find this block of code:

$F3.png

Then replace that whole block (lines 2986-3001) with this code:
    Code (csharp):
    1.         if (Event.current.type == EventType.KeyDown  !Event.current.alt)
    2.         {
    3.             if (Event.current.keyCode == KeyCode.F3  !EditorGUI.actionKey ||
    4.                 Event.current.keyCode == KeyCode.G  EditorGUI.actionKey)
    5.             {
    6.                 if (Event.current.shift)
    7.                     SearchPrevious();
    8.                 else
    9.                     SearchNext();
    11.                 Event.current.Use();
    12.             }
    13.         }
    and you'll get F3 or Ctrl/Cmd+G mapped to Find Next, and Shift+F3 or Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+G to Find Previous. Isn't it cool that Script Inspector 2 comes with full source code? ;) But yeah, a config file would be nicer...

15. Venged

Venged

I was thinking of going to another third party IDE to be able to edit right in Unity. I'm glad I waited for your update.

Great job! Thanks!

16. pvloon

pvloon

Congrats on the release! I will have to check this out for sure. I'll stick to my VS2012 for any serious editing, but for quick fixes this is awesome! Thanks :D

17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks p v lion! :) VS is cool but Script Inspector 2 is addictive. :p I found myself using SI2 much more than VS during the last month...

18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks Venged! :)

Well, there are no other editor extensions that offer code editing in Unity currently! At least not for any serious use. Those other two look like jokes compared to Script Inspector 2! Nice attempts but very far from being usable, because for serious coding the last thing you'll need is annoyance and distraction by bugs in the editing tool.

Script Inspector 2 was in beta for the last 3 months, and even in beta 1 it was more polished than the other two, so just imagine at what level is SI2 now. It took me more than 6 months in total to reach that level, while those other two were under development for only a month or two at the time when Script Inspector 1 was also available in full source code form, so it could be used as a great starting point and reference for anyone who wants to make something similar. :cool:

19. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

Hi Flipbookee,

i just bought the Script Inspector 2 and from the first impression it is really nice. BUT unfortunately i just can't write curly brackets "{" and square brackets "]" here. I'm using a german Keyboard layout, could these be the problem? The shortcuts for square brackets should be: [Right ALT] + 8 or 9 and for curly brackets [Right ALT] + 7 or 0.

And it also looks like if the fonts are slightly unsharp. I tried different fonts but no luck.

Hope this can be fixed, because for now it is kind of useless without brackets ;)

20. AndyGFX

AndyGFX

Great.
    It's very useful for small changes and fix bugs in code just now.

A few feature requests from my point of view:
    - CTRL+DoubleClick for open Unity Default Editor (just now it's possible only from popup menu on code or from ScriptInspector
    - code completion
    - CTRL + ' => Open Unity Doc with selectd commant

Bugs:
    - CTRL+ALT+S => code is saved but file state (*) and button for save still in unsaved state.
    - DOUBLE CLICK on error line in SI Console open script but cursor isn't on error line

21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Can you type the brackets anywhere else in Unity? If yes, I'm sure there will be no problem to fix that quickly. I'll check right now... Stay tuned...

If you are on Unity 4, yes, the fonts are a little bit blurry because I had to export the whole package through Unity 3.5 to support earlier versions, and on importing that in Unity 4 some of the font properties are preserved, and some are not because they don't exist anymore. However, there are more advanced properties available in Unity 4 and you should definitely take advantage of those! Just go and tweak them manually to achieve the best results (Assets/FlipbookGames/ScriptInspector2/Editor/EditorResources), and then let us know which settings worked best for you. I'll put the tweaked Unity 4 fonts in a zip file inside the package with the next submit.

22. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

yes i can type them in unity anywhere else.

okay this is great! I changed the rendering mode from smooth to hinted smooth, now the font is nice and crisp :)

thanks for the fast reply! Keep up the good work!

23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

It's also possible to open the selected script from the Project tab in the external editor with the Enter key. Ctrl+Click is already taken for multiple selections, Alt+DoubleClick might work. Nice idea ;)

Sure, I already planned that.

No problem, that's easy.

That's very interesting... Can you please tell me some more details about that? Either here or a PM works fine for me. I'll need to know if there's a repro case or not, how often it happens, is it on one or more files at the same time, are you sure that the file was saved, what happened with the track changes indicator, can you undo/redo after that, what happens if you close that tab, what if you press the save button in the toolbar, a screenshot if possible... Stuff like that, you know, the more stuff you share with me it will be easier to find out what was that.

Same with this one, or maybe just a screenshot would be great. Thanks!!! :)

24. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

How'd you turn around that fix so fast? I went in to paste the "Cmd/Ctrl + G" code, and it was already in the package and up on the asset store!

Yay!

25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I submitted that with another tiny but important fix in a few hours after the conversation as version 2.0.1 and it passed through quickly :D

26. AndyGFX

AndyGFX

Repro case isn't problem.

1) Open any source with DOUBLICK to external Inspector window.
    2) make any changes in code
    3) now TAB title has * before name and save button is BLACK
    4) press CTRL+ALT+S
    5) progress bar windows shows save progress
    6) but nothing is saved.

Looks like one of my other asset packages use same key shortcut for save :(

In a Project i have added:
    - PlayMaker
    - AstarPathfindingProject
    - HyperView
    - DecalSystem
    - LocknShoot
    - NGUI

Edit: ---> AstarPathfindingProject <--- here is problem !

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

In that case there's nothing I can do about that because Unity Editor gives priority to shortcuts assigned on menu items instead of passing the events to focused EditorWindow first. There are two things you can do, either change my code and remap the Save shortcut to something else or change/remove the shortcut assigned to that menu item if source code is available. So you'd search in all scripts of your project for something like %#s" or #%s" to find the one which defines that menu item shortcut and either remove the shortcut or change it to something else. Or if you wish to remap SI2's shortcut to something else open FGTextEditor.cs (in Script Inspector 2, of course ;)) and search for KeyCode.S until you find that (line 2182) and change it to whatever you like, but try to avoid collision with something else again. Well, now you'll have to save that with the Save toolbar button, wait a few seconds for Unity to recompile that, and voila :D here's the magic!!! You've just modified the extension using the very same extension itself! Isn't that cool? :)

28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I think this will help with the German keyboard (works on Windows with Unity 3.5):

Open FGTextEditor.cs in a SI2 tab ;) and replace line 2470:
    Code (csharp):
    1.             else if ((current.character >= ' ' || current.character == '\n')  !EditorGUI.actionKey)
    with this line:
    Code (csharp):
    1.             else if ((current.character >= ' ' || current.character == '\n')  (!EditorGUI.actionKey || current.keyCode == KeyCode.None))
    Now save it, wait to compile, and voila! :D You also did the same type of magic :p Enjoy! :cool:

29. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

Hoooray!! It works (with Unity 4)! :)

thanks!!

30. AndyGFX

AndyGFX

AstarPathfinding has used this shortcut from Edit menu - removed - and works.

Thx.

31. crafTDev

crafTDev

Congrats on release! Lovin how it opens scripts so fast!

32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Excellent! :) I'll submit the fix as version 2.0.2 along with something else related to the SI Console very soon.

33. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah Andy, you missed the opportunity to do the magic ;)

34. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Dude, this is awesome now lol.
    I'm using external assemblies for my project. But there are few more scripts in unity.. I dont have another VS for editing stuff for this scripts.

Thanks for great component !

35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks!

Yes, it was getting more and more optimized to open them fast over a couple of iterations. I was doing that since the beginning because if you're changing the selection in the Project tab by holding the arrow keys for example, the selection must change fast and follow the keyboard repeat rate. When a script is selected I had to make sure it shows up quickly in the Inspector to not stop that movement. I remember in version 1.0 it was taking about 40 seconds to open iTween.cs with its over 7000 lines of code, so I managed to put that down to 2-3 seconds in version 1.1... Then with almost all next releases I was trying to optimize that even more, using different techniques, until I got to the current state of nearly zero time to show up that same script in the Inspector! :) Note that this is all running within the main thread, so it could be even faster if I move it now into another thread! :cool:

36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, so you run only one instance on VS for your external assembly and you don't need another one for your scripts in the Unity project? I got that just now :p... My laptop gets really slow with two instances of VS 2010 for some reason. I wonder now if I could do something to let you work on such external assemblies from inside Unity...

37. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

For me, it doesnt work for external assembly development in Unity because of build time doc update and obfuscation settings :) Don't bother with that, script inspector is awesome!

I think you should focus code completion now ;)

38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Deal! There will be a lot of fun this weekend :)

39. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Does anyone know how to change the title of a thread? Or shall I start a new one, because currently this thread's title says syntax highlighting instead of editing scripts?

40. crafTDev

crafTDev

Is there a hotkey to select a word and have it be put into the search field just like cmd+F?

I think you have to start a new thread Flipbookee. I had to for ASE and I just relink to new thread and in new thread relink to old if needed.

41. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Congratulation on the new Script Inspector 2.0. That is indeed the best package on Asset Store right now. Its simply magical to use it.

Now, on to the suggestion - How about supporting .txt file format (or any text file format) ? I been waiting for that since v1.0 !! :D It would be REAL handy to get support for that so I don't have to use external text file editor to just read the README text files that are included with most extension packages.

42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yep, there's something even better than that. The Quick Search shortcuts, Ctrl+Shift+Up and Ctrl+Shift+Down copy the word at cursor to the search field and find the previous/next occurrence of that word at once. Then just continue with these shortcuts until you find what you were looking for.

Well, seems like I'll have to do that... :-\ Thanks for the suggestion!

43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks for these awesome compliments! :cool:

Sure, I already started adding word-wrapping option, because it would be difficult to read long lines if you have to always scroll left and right, but then I started looking into code completion... Code completion was more challenging thing to do, so I couldn't resist :p but then word-wrapping is a lot simpler feature than code completion, so I think I'll just finish that first in a day or two and add basic support for text files.

44. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Awesome! I really can't think of anything else I want besides text file support and possibly code completion (bonus!) Its already pretty much a perfect package for me! I tried it on several script and it is rock stable, haven't come across any problem yet!

45. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Okay, I just ran into a problem, not sure if its this particlar extension or just me.

Trying to load : CubemapNode.cs

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.EditorGUI.ObjectIconDropDown (Rect position, UnityEngine.Object[] targets, Boolean showLabelIcons, UnityEngine.Texture2D nullIcon, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty iconProperty)
    UnityEditor.MonoScriptImporterInspector.OnHeaderIconGUI (Rect iconRect)
    UnityEditor.Editor.DrawHeaderGUI (UnityEditor.Editor editor, System.String header)
    UnityEditor.Editor.OnHeaderGUI ()
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (Boolean isRepaintEvent, UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Boolean eyeDropperDirty)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)

46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, that call stack is not coming from my code. Seems like the object icon assigned to that asset is null. I'm not sure what's the reason, but I know I'm not doing anything related to those icons... anyway, just in case, tell me did you edit that script in SI2? If yes, please tell me some more info, like did this happen right after saving maybe? Or maybe while doing something in the SI2? Or while importing assets? Was the game playing at that time? Were you changing the object icons maybe? Also if you have the Editor.log it may help to see what happened just before that... let me know, ok? Thanks!

47. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

No, I merely clicked on the CubemapNode.cs to view it in Script Inspector 2 and I got that error message. But I think I know what's happening....
    Turns out there is a down arrow besides that CubemapNode.cs - it seems the file is a containter of some sort (I didn't know C script can do that!) and once I clicked down arrow there is the actual script file, and clicking the actual script file will show up in Script Inspector 2 no problem and no error message - so long as I don't click that CubemapNode.cs parent/container file.

1. As you can see, source files are just .cs files

2. Clicking the source .cs file cause the error message (right click on the image to view it in original size)

3. Drill down and clicking just the script works!

48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see, that has nothing to do with the Script Inspector 2. I think something similar happened to me when I was moving assets between different Unity projects, but I'm not sure how did I do that. It was either by exporting packages from one project and then importing them into the other one, or more likely by copy/pasting them between two instances of Unity running at the same time (I forgot it was a long time ago, even before the Script Inspector was made). If you have done something like that recently it might be better to check these scripts and see if you can transfer them from the original project somehow without breaking them. If those scripts are behaviors you might also have to check the references from game objects to the scripts and make sure they are still there. I hope this helps a little bit, but maybe someone else with more experience than me might know the answer.

49. S0ULART

S0ULART

How about supporting .txt file format (or any text file format) to be editable, not just readable?

that would be really awesome!

50. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Sure, editing will be also supported, for any Unity asset of type TextAsset :)