Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @Fashtas for the detailed error report! I’ll try reproducing that...

Can you tell me please, these two things:
    - is this happening on MacOS or Windows, and
    - do you use word-wrapping or not?

Knowing that may make reproing the issue a bit easier for me :)

Stexe likes this.
  2. Fashtas

Fashtas

I thought I *was* sticking to LTS builds, you can't even install 2019.4.1 using the HUB which I'd always assumed was the "correct" way of doing Unity things

upload_2020-8-4_9-42-23.png

At any rate this crash has been happening across multiple versions though I cannot be sure if one of them was 2019.4.1

3. Fashtas

Fashtas

Hi there, sorry I missed this reply entirely :)

This is under Windows, Word Wrap (Code) is not turned on

The error has not popped up in the last few days.

Chris

Flipbookee likes this.
  4. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Hi, is this Asset still in Active Development?

Flipbookee likes this.
  5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hi, yes! It is, the next update is coming in about two weeks.

However, I’m not working on Si3 full time because I wouldn’t be able to pay my bills with that, so it all depends on availability of my free time. Unless if there’s an urgent issue that breaks everything, of course.

Next update is for improving compatibility with the latest version of Unity and to support some of the C# 6.0 syntax.

P.S.: As I’m not doing this for money, my only motivation are the amazing reviews Si3 has been receiving from you folks :cool: so please, everyone, don’t forget to chip in to the “motivation pool” :rolleyes:

6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Why don't you provide it for free then?

Flipbookee and AGregori like this.
  7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

He can still make some money on it, just not enough to be a main income,
    I don't have any problem with that. the product and support are worth it.

This tool is a life saver for me, as I really don't like any of the external editors.

crafTDev and Flipbookee like this.
  8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

He absolutely can do that, sure. I'm just curious why going the money route, with all the trouble that can include, if it's not for the money.

Flipbookee likes this.
  9. kenlem

kenlem

I've been using Script Inspector since it's release. I can't imagine using an external editor except to debug or profile.

10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I considered that as an option, but there are a couple of reasons I couldn't do that. The main reason is to discourage all the haters who would abuse that for posting negative reviews and 1-star ratings. Why would anyone do that, you may ask - I have no explanation, but there used to be a couple of users who used to downvote every new positive review within the first 30 minutes after posting. There was also one person with a weird hobby spending his time on creating fake Unity accounts only to use those accounts votes in the former Unity Feedback and vote up everything else except the suggestion to make Si3 built into Unity Editor. He was doing that for more than a year, creating on average 10 fake accounts every day.

Besides that, the current price covers my expenses for refreshing the hardware I use for working on Si3. In these 8 years, two Windows laptops just died of overuse and an older MacBook stopped working with newer Unity versions, so I had to replace them.

And to be fair, it is nearly free - it's a one-time payment and then free for life. ;) My target price was to reach something between $80 and $120, but I decided to give that up and I lowered the price from $55 to the current price of $39. Once a year, if Unity includes it in an official sale, it goes with 50% off that price too. And for those who can't afford even that, I may have a voucher :cool:

11. wood333

wood333

This is simple. Script Inspector 3 is well worth the money for time saved. Game development requires a huge investment in time, to do it right. Any asset that saves me time is worth its weight in gold. Script Inspector 3 is one such asset.

12. kenlem

kenlem

Well said. Honestly, it's the first asset I import when I start a new project.

13. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello,

What people need to understand is that if your asset is not on the Top Sellers list on the Asset Store, there is no way that Asset is your main source of income. Many times I have had to sideline my Asset Store projects because when I look at the sales, it is just not there to sustain working on it full time. Doesn't mean it is not being worked on, just means it is not a priority. Keep doing what you are doing @Flipbookee. I look forward to any improvements.

Thanks,
    jrDev

14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey, hey! Did you know you can get Script Inspector 3 with a 95% discount now?

Yes, you can - if you buy the Asset Store X Mega Bundle:
    AS-XMEGA.jpg
    It costs $35.99 and you get 20 awesome assets for a price of less than the regular Si3 price. :rolleyes:

The regular price for all those assets is more than $900, but don't worry if you feel like $35.99 is a steal - you can add some extra to that if you wish and sleep without guilt ;)

Stexe and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  15. Stexe

Stexe

If I didn't already own almost all those assets already I'd pick it up.

I have passed it on to some friends who might get it though. =)

Flipbookee likes this.
  16. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

scrollmap support?

Flipbookee likes this.
  17. aganm

aganm

I have a feature request: Vi mode. Vim would be too much, Vi is much simpler and all I need is the modal editing power of Vi.

That is the only missing feature to make this tool perfect for me.

Averrin and Flipbookee like this.
  18. Kapteeni-Studios

Kapteeni-Studios

Hi,

I got the Script Inspector 3 today with Unity Asset Store Mega Bundle X. Sorry for asking such a basic question. But I can't figure it out. From the upper right corner, I can change which font I'm using and Color Scheme. Everything looks perfect now, but how can I increase the font size?

Flipbookee likes this.
  19. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

Hello @Harha-Studios
    You can use Preferences -> Ui Scaling for that, it scales all Unity editor fonts. I think the way it is setup by default, in Win10 one can also do that via shift + mouse wheel, but I cannot test that right now..

Kapteeni-Studios and Flipbookee like this.
  20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Harha-Studios, if you only want to change the Si3 font size, on Windows press Ctrl+= or Ctrl+Plus sign to increase it and Ctrl+Minus sign to decrease the font size. Use Cmd on MacOS instead of Ctrl with the same keys. You could also do that by holding Ctrl and rolling the mouse wheel. And if you’re on a laptop, zoom in and zoom out motions on the touchpad should work as well.

21. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

Hi @Flipbookee
    I was just wondering if there's a way to automatically implement methods of an interface with Script Inspector?

Stexe and Flipbookee like this.
  22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Uh, that’s still on my to-do list, sorry. :oops:

I’ll do that when I get the first chance...

Stexe likes this.
  23. Kapteeni-Studios

Kapteeni-Studios

Yes, it's working. So excited to start using Si3! :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  24. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

No worries, I just wanted to be sure I didn't overlooked a shortcut! ;)
    It would be really cool if you implement that.

Flipbookee likes this.
  25. Hankelios

Hankelios

Hello! Would it be possible to add editor support for null-coalescing operator?

Code (CSharp):
    1. other.GetComponent<Player>()?.Damage();
    The code above compiles fine but the editor complains about unknown symbol

Thanks!

Flipbookee and Stexe like this.
  26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes. I have that added and working locally already and it will be released with the first next update. I hope, very soon.

Hankelios, Stexe and valarnur like this.
  27. Hankelios

Hankelios

Awesome, thanks!

Flipbookee likes this.
  28. Adrian

Adrian

You should avoid using the
    ?
    or
    ??
    operators with
    UnityEngine.Object
    -derived types. Those objects can be fake-null when the underlying native object has been destroyed but these operators don't pick up on that.

Meaning when you have a reference to a C# wrapper of a destroyed native object, these operators will consider it non-null but you'll get a
    NullReferenceException
    if you try to access any of its properties.

Additionally, in the editor
    GetComponent
    will return a fake object when the component doesn't exist to provide a nicer error message (
    MissingComponentException
    instead of generic
    NullReferenceException
    ) and these operators also won't prevent you from triggering the exception.

See here for a discussion about this issue:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/elvis-operator-null-coalescing-operator.433767/

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  29. Hankelios

Hankelios

Thanks, you learn something new every day. Back to regular old null checking then I guess.

Flipbookee likes this.
  30. Stexe

Stexe

31. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Hello,
    am having the issue that despite having disabled reload on save,
    The editor reloads the scripts after a couple of seconds even if only having saved once. probably Unity still detects that the file changed on the drive.
    Unfortunately that makes this quite unusable as the main editor for larger projects because it interrupts the workflow by 5-10 seconds each time...
    Would like if it only updated on the Ctrl+R command or when pressing the play button of Unity.
    Any suggestions?
    Huge thanks in advance.

Flipbookee likes this.
  32. Steedalion

Steedalion

Hey Flipbook,
    I've been using your plugin recently and it works great on Windows. But on Ubuntu there are some small issues. I'm not sure if these are issues you can solve or do I ask unity.

1. Undo undoes tasks in unity as appose to script inspector (SI). This is annoying because as I am scripting, I make a mistake, undo, and I don't know what I just undid in the unity editor. The undo button in SI works as expect.
    2. The Delete button. I am not sure what the deal is with this but sometimes I press delete and it creates spaces. Also with line delete (Shift + delete). I don't know much about this myself, but these line endings are considered errors.
    Using Ubuntu 20.04.
    P.S. SI is much easier to use on Linux than VSCode or Monodev.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    Flipbookee likes this.
  33. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Steedalion, regarding this issue on Ubuntu:
    Can you try Shift+Ctrl+Z for Undo and Shift+Ctrl+Y for Redo? I know that's not ideal, but I hope it will be a good enough alternative until I find a solution for that.

I don't know what's this issue:
    It sounds like a bug in Unity on Linux, but I'm not sure. Can you check what happens on pressing Delete outside of the Si3's code editing control, like in a search field for example?

I'm not sure I understand what happens on Shift+Delete:
    Does it also insert a Space? Where? Why is that considered an error? There used to be a warning about mixed line ending characters in a single script, but Si3 is never going to save a script like that. So I'm not sure what you get with this last issue.

34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Unity runs its auto-scan for modified scripts when the Editor receives "application focus", i.e. when you switch to another application and then back to Unity. There's a way to prevent that by turning off "Auto Refresh" in Edit->Preferences...->General, but keep in mind that this option affects all the assets in your project, not the scripts only. You'd have to manually tell Unity to reload any changes to the assets made outside of Unity by selecting Assets->Refresh from the main menu. The same would apply for the scripts edited in an external IDE, so if you do that, you'd have to click Assets->Refresh for Si3 to pick those changes up.

I don't know is it possible to find a better solution. I'll have to think about that...

35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Interesting, thanks for bringing this up! It sounds like I should better add a warning in Si3 when it detects these cases.

36. Steedalion

Steedalion

Hi Flipbook,
    Thank you for your prompt response.

That works, thank you.

I have attached a short video. I believe these are the same issue.
    The problem is that delete creates a space with no character that unity registers as errors. Delete-line is also affected (Shift+Del), but Ctrl+Del functions correctly.

Keep up the good work.

Attached Files:

Flipbookee likes this.
  37. tacman1123

tacman1123

I'm running Ubuntu, and the ctrl-s is being ignored when I try to save edits. (Linux support in Unity is often problematic, I know).

Kudos for the great tool!

Tac

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Flipbookee likes this.
  38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@tacman1123, that seems to be a similar issue as with Ctrl+Z. Please try saving with Shift+Ctrl+S instead and let me know if that works. I think I should be able to fix this, and the Ctrl+Z issue on Ubuntu, so I'll send you and @Steedalion the fix. It will be a great help if you could verify the fix for me!

Steedalion likes this.
  39. realcosmik

realcosmik

Wondering if support assembly definitions could be added. It would be great if in the code editor somewhere I could see what assembly im currently working in that would be of a great help!

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, it should be possible. I'll only have to decide where to show that... Let me know, if anyone has a suggestion.

realcosmik likes this.
  41. realcosmik

realcosmik

upload_2020-11-15_12-19-11.png
    I was thinking right after the file path in parenthesis (assemblyname.dll). Visual studio for mac gives me so much difficulties with assembly definitions this would be an enormous help. Thanks for the plugin please keep up the great work

Flipbookee likes this.
  42. realcosmik

realcosmik

Another productivity idea/recommendation, renaming variables and methods. I noticed the editor already highlights all references of a given variable/method when clicking on it so being able to mass rename all of them would helpful.

upload_2020-11-15_14-28-8.png

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Flipbookee likes this.
  43. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Hi, if I work in a team and want to use this tool, will it work for the others that don't use it if I add the ScripInspector folder within Assets to .gitignore in my local branch?
    Thanks.

Flipbookee likes this.
  44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, the project will work fine without Si3 because it doesn’t add anything to it or to the final builds. :cool:

45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I miss the rename refactoring as well. I have that feature partially implemented, just it isn’t ready for a release yet. I have to take care of more urgent needs first, but that will be done right after.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  46. toomasio

toomasio

Screenshot 2020-11-19 123530.png

Not quite sure why this keeps happening...but sometimes after the editor refreshes all my text gets messed up. I then need to close the editor and reopen to fix.

also, seems like this script editor does not understand DOTS logic. It just says "unknown symbol" for lamba burst logic.

using unity 2020.1.14

any ideas?

Flipbookee likes this.
  47. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

@toomasio haha, yeah, sometimes the text render breaks. I know that one too well, but actually consider it more of a feature than a bug. ;-) It looks mysteriously beautiful sometimes and you can experience you script in a new light. :D
    And it always goes away with a save or opening a different script file.. But I agree otherwise, some better support for the DOTS style programming would be nice to have at some point.

Flipbookee likes this.
  48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@toomasio and @ElevenGame, the font mess up is not something I can fix. Si3 is relying on Unity for text rendering, so that would be a bug either in the Unity code or in the graphics drivers. Either the texture atlas containing font glyphs got trashed or the UV coordinates to those glyphs got messed up, and both of those are outside of my control.

I haven't seen this issue myself (or maybe I did once on Mac, a long time ago), but I believe reimporting the font assets in Si3 would fix the issue. Could you please try that the next time it happens and let me know whether that fixes it? The easiest way to reimport the fonts would be to right-click the root folder of Si3 - Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3 and select Reimport. That would force Unity to regenerate the glyphs texture atlas along with their UV coordinates.

I can't see what are the false syntax errors exactly in that screenshot, but I believe they are due to the lack of support for newer C# versions, which is something I'm working on and will be covered with the next release, I hope this weekend.

realcosmik, toomasio and ElevenGame like this.
  49. tchris

tchris

I'm enjoying Script Inspector but sometimes I want to use Visual Studio. Is there a way to keep Visual Studio as the default and then use Script Inspector when I want to? I noticed when I right click on a component it will say "Edit Script" and "Edit In Script Inspector" but both of these open in Script Inspector. I'd like it if Edit Script went to Visual Studio (which is my default in Unity's preferences)

Flipbookee and Stexe like this.
  50. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@tchris, yes, holding down Ctrl on Windows or Cmd on macOS while opening a script "swaps" the external IDE and Si3. Your primary script editor will be the one chosen in Si3 Preferences, either Si3 or your external IDE, and the other one will be your secondary editor. Holding the key while opening a script swaps temporarily the chosen primary editor with the secondary.

The issue with right-clicking on a component sounds like something I may have missed. I'll fix that, thanks for reporting that.