Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks! I’m looking forward to getting more info, but if it's easier for you, just zip the project (without any data assets and without shaders, only scripts, DLL's and .asmdef files left in it) and send it to flipbookee[at]gmail[dot]com. I promise I won't look at the code (other than what's needed for debugging the issue) and it will be all deleted afterwards :)

2. syscrusher

syscrusher

@Flipbookee, is there some documentation out there on using the refactoring features of SI3? I've been using it so long that you sneaked those features in without me realizing it, until I happened to glance at the current version of its Asset Store page a couple of days ago. (Ahem...I guess maybe I should have paid more attention to the release notes of all those upgrades!)

Deeeds and Flipbookee like this.
  3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe :) which ones did you discover so far?

4. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@syscrusher, to be more precise, the existing automatic code generation and automatic code fixes are not code refactoring features. Refactoring features would take the existing valid code and modify it in a way that the original functionality of the code wouldn't change. The first of those features is the Rename Refactoring that will be released next and this is how it looks like so far:

RenameRefactoringWIP.gif

But yeah, you were right - I need to document in a single place all of these (almost hidden) features! :)

syscrusher likes this.
  5. syscrusher

syscrusher

I can't find the mention now; maybe it was on your web site and I was mistaken about the Asset Store being where I saw it. I just remember seeing the word "refactoring" and thinking, "Ooooh, I've been hoping for that to be added -- and it's already there...who knew!"

Flipbookee likes this.
  6. syscrusher

syscrusher

Completely understood, and something like this Rename feature was exactly the kind of thing I had in mind. That alone is a very large step forward, and I'm sure you'll think of other useful behaviors.

Another really useful thing that would hopefully be easy to do: Right click on a class name, and in the context menu is an "add namespace" submenu. Select under that from the namespaces that exist in currently-open SI3 windows, and automatically wrap the current class in the selected one. This is one of those things that's a real pain to do, and when you add a new C# script to an existing project you have to do it by hand every time. It's not bad to do once, but it gets old fast when you're adding more than one.

Flipbookee likes this.
  7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yep, the plan is to add more refactoring commands after releasing Rename. These are much easier to do than Rename, but Rename is much more useful and highly demanded, so I couldn't afford to waste time on those and delay the Rename feature any more.

Add Namespace refactoring will only add this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. namespace
    2. {
    3. <your existing code will be here>
    4. }
    and place the cursor right after the namespace keyword, so you can pick an existing namespace using auto-complete or type in a new one there :cool:

As you can see, this is a really simple thing to do, and the existing refactoring related code in Si3 makes that even easier, so the right-click popup menu will get populated with things like this really fast.

syscrusher likes this.
  8. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @dsafew! I found the reason why that happens - working on a fix right now...

dsafew likes this.
  9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

...and I fixed it, I believe! :cool: I just sent you the fix to try it out in your full project, so let me know how that works :)

10. Artaani

Artaani

Hello.
    Since MonoDevelop no longer works in Unity 2018 I am seeking for a new IDE, and all popular solutions such as Visual Studio does not suit my needs.
    So I have a several questions about Script Inspector 3:

1 Can I create custom color schemes? How easy it is? Can you please show a screenshot of color scheme editor?

2 There is a problem in visual studio. Standard types such as "int float string" have the same color as "public void". In MonoDevelop standard types have the same color us custom types such as "Vector3" or "SomeCustomClass". Is this possible to display standard types with the same color as custom types but not the same color as "public void" in Script Inspector 3?

3 For "summary" I use short version, just /// before the description. It works in MonoDevelop but does not works in Visual Studio. I think that full tags <summary> is super big and inconvenient. How summary implemented in Script Inspector 3? Can I use just a simple /// ?

Flipbookee likes this.
  11. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @Artaani, I have some good news and some bad news for you - see below:

Yes, it's very easy... A color scheme editor? :confused: Well, sure... it looks like this:
    ThemeEditor.png
    ;)
    Color schemes are defined as C# scripts that look like that one above. So if you'd like to add a new scheme, you'd duplicate one of those scripts, give it a name and edit the color values. Changes are applied on save (and after compile, which gets triggered on save automatically with Si3 default settings).

Yes, kind of - see how the Monokai color theme looks like in Si3
    Monokai.png
    You see, the "void" type keyword is colored same as the other type keywords or type names. Did you want "void" only to be in same color as "public", while "int" or "string" etc. to be same color as other types? Well, that's doable, but currently, there's one color for built-in types (including "void"), and one color for each of the five different .Net type types (reference types, value types, interfaces, enums, and delegates). Most of the existing themes use the same color for keywords and built-in types, only Monokai is an exception, but you can change that easy as you like it.

Hmm, here you'll get disappointed - Si3 doesn't pick those comments up currently. This is because of the way how Si3 works - it doesn't parse and analyze all the source files, but only the ones that have been modified and not yet saved and compiled. That's one of the reasons why it's incredibly fast... Anyway, I plan to add that feature (just needs to very be well thought out to not affect the speed) and it's good that you mentioned you'd like to see regular comments as well and not only the comments in XML Docs format - I'll keep that in mind.

Well, I'll send you a copy now - go check it out yourself and let me know what you think about it ;)

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    syscrusher, AthrunVLokiz and Artaani like this.
  12. Artaani

Artaani

Wow! Amazing! Thanks you very much for detailed reply!

syscrusher and Flipbookee like this.
  13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @Fattie for updating your review and for your awesomeness! :cool:

Fattie.png
    But it seems like you're still using the older version. Take the latest and enjoy even faster Si3 with improvements and some bug fixes ;)

14. AthrunVLokiz

AthrunVLokiz

Excuse me, How I can show/hide code in a region? (I mean #region "bra bra" to #endregion)

Thank you, and so hype developer.

Flipbookee likes this.
  15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hi @AthrunVLokiz! You mean code folding? I'm sorry my friend, but that feature hasn't been finished yet. It was postponed for a later release in favor of the Rename Refactoring, and these both were delayed because of need for urgent fixes and updates for compatibility with the recent changes in Unity... I'll continue working on code folding once I finish the rename refactoring :-\

John-G and AthrunVLokiz like this.
  16. AthrunVLokiz

AthrunVLokiz

Yes. Don't worry, I will waiting for that is coming. I understand very well that fixing bugs or refactoring is more important than facilitating. But I never had problems with your assets. :D (Actually, I would like to reward you)

Flipbookee likes this.
  17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, okay! :) Cool! Thanks! The best reward would be a nice review :) that always makes my day, sometimes even keeps me high for a week ;)

18. AthrunVLokiz

AthrunVLokiz

Of course, I will review soon. I decided to review any asset when it was really used in my project. However, for this asset is excluded. (This is better than bad or ridiculous review when trouble with any assets, even didn't really use it. That's fair for me.)

So sorry for the long message. XD

For my review let time a bit to me, my English still not good enough.
    Look forward to my stars. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ for asset And ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ for support and friendly

Deeeds and Flipbookee like this.
  19. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @dsafew, did you have a chance to check the fix I sent you? Cheers! :)

20. Deeeds

Deeeds

A thank you!

This asset helps me learn Unity, use Unity and progress faster.

One of today's many examples, and a short story.

I sometimes write code in Rider, then edit it in your fantastic Script Editor 3, using it as the missing editor in Unity. Because Unity is DEARLY missing an inbuilt text editor.

Rider seems to know what I should be doing, most of the time. Which helps, because I mostly don't know what I'm doing.

Sometimes Rider misses things. But your wonderful little-editor-that-could catches them.

Here, I tried to put a float where a Vector2 is required. Rider missed this, Si3 did not.

Script Editor 3, showing me the error of my ways:

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 5.14.48 pm.png

and here's Rider...
    only worried that I'm not using the forceFactored variable:

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 5.15.26 pm.png

So, to you: Thank YOU!!!

Lars-Steenhoff and Flipbookee like this.
  21. Bradamante

Bradamante

I am the person who wrote you an email recently about this and other things. Why is setting syntax colors so arduous? Couldn't you use the built-in Unity/Inspector tools for color picking to provide a better color scheme editor?
    Also, what fonts are delivered with SI3? Can I use my own font? I tried a lot of fonts throughout the years and settled on Fira Mono. Do I have to give that one up when I use SI3?

Flipbookee likes this.
  22. Deeeds

Deeeds

To add a font: https://forum.unity.com/threads/script-inspector-3.195218/page-28#post-2886960

Flipbookee likes this.
  23. syscrusher

syscrusher

If you would like help editing your final text, from a native English speaker who is a professional writer, I would be glad to assist you. I am not connected with @Flipbookee at all, just another satisfied customer like you, so there is no conflict of interest. Please send me a PM if my assistance would be useful. :)

I have also seen other assets receive non-English reviews. You could post a review that is in both your native language and in English, one above the other.

AthrunVLokiz, Flipbookee and Deeeds like this.
  24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Wow! FiraMono looks gorgeous inside Unity, even at smaller font sizes :)

This is FiraMono-Medium: (click on it to see it full size)
    FiraMono-Medium.png

Thanks @Bradamante! This will be included with the next update :cool:

Sorry about editing color themes in code - I guess I didn't think someone would complain about that. Yeah, a visual editor would make much more sense... However, I'll have to somehow find time to add that feature. I have a full time job and I can only work on Si3 in my free time. And there are already a bunch of high priority features on my todo list, so adding a visual editor for color themes is a bit less likely to come soon. Until then, you're free to edit them in the script files. ;) (and of course, share screenshots and your color theme scripts here)

syscrusher likes this.
  25. Bradamante

Bradamante

Question: When I change the font or the color schemes by hand, do those changes survive an asset upgrade?

Spiekermann knows what he is doing :) Careful with the legal side though. Fira Sans and Mono are a free download, but he designed it for Firefox OS, so I am not sure if one can just use this font freely.

Well I made my own color schemes in the past (for MonoDevelop, BBEdit etc) so I guess I will convert those to SI3 - should I start to use it.

Flipbookee likes this.
  26. syscrusher

syscrusher

Holy crap, if you are maintaining this asset in your CST (Copious Spare Time), I'm...speechless.

Would you consider contributed code that stores the color settings in a Scriptable Object, if I had time to crank it out? Or do you currently store your settings some other way? I did some pretty complicated editor tricks in Magic Markers, so I think I could do a credible job at this, but I don't want to invest the time if you are averse to the concept. :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Added color schemes survive updates, but if you just modify the existing ones those changes will be overwritten. But you can make a copy of an existing scheme and then modify that instead. When @syscrusher finds time to put these in ScriptableObject assets, these scripts will be not needed anymore, but it will be similar - modified existing schemes won't survive an update and added new schemes will survive.

Added font assets survive, of course, only the line that lists the font file name won't (which is unnecessary and I should change that to build that array by scanning file names in the Fonts folder).

I had a quick look at the license before downloading the fonts and I think I saw something like "can be embedded in commercial software". I'll check more carefully, of course, before doing that...

Ah cool! Can we see them? :) Can I use them in Si3 (if they look nice and cool)?

MonoDevelop saves its color schemes in human readable files (not sure what was that, xml or maybe json) from where it's easier to copy the exact same color value and paste that value in a script. :) Either that, or we could ask @syscrusher to write an importer for MonoDevelop color scheme files ;) (just kidding, I could probably write that faster than you).

28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well yeah, but I'm not alone! I also have you guys next to me, helping me to find bugs, sometimes even fix them for me, and (believe it or not) sometimes add a new feature here and there! :cool:

Yay! :) Of course, scriptable objects would work perfectly for a single project and they can be copied around to other projects as well. The need for copying them on a single machine is not so cool (they could go in EditorPrefs instead), but the ability to copy those assets to another machine is awesome! And also, it would make it easy to share a color scheme with others. :cool:

Thanks for the offer to give me a hand with this! Great if you can help me, but don't worry if you are short with time - I can do that as well.

Deeeds likes this.
  29. Bradamante

Bradamante

I named it "Bluevion" since I based it on MonoDevelop's "Oblivion" (on macOS: Library/MonoDevelop-Unity-5.0/HighlightingSchemes/BluevionStyle.json). I tried to emulate TextWrangler's/BBEdit's blue/white/orange style, so it's blue and white letters with orange accents.

Code (csharp):
    2. {
    3.    "name":"Bluevion",
    4.    "version":"1.0",
    5.    "originator":"Xamarin Inc. (http://xamarin.com)",
    6.    "baseScheme":"Oblivion",
    7.    "colors":[
    8.    ],
    9.    "text":[
    10.        {"name": "Plain Text", "fore":"#EEEEEE", "back":"#101A1A" },
    11.        {"name": "Selected Text", "fore":"#333333", "back":"#79CCFF" },
    12.        {"name": "Selected Text(Inactive)", "fore":"#EEEEEC", "back":"#555753" },
    13.        {"name": "Line Numbers", "fore":"#CCCCCC", "back":"#111111" },
    14.        {"name": "Punctuation", "fore":"#FF99FB" },
    15.        {"name": "Punctuation(Brackets)", "fore":"#FF9930" },
    16.        {"name": "Comment(Line)", "fore":"#AAAAAA" },
    17.        {"name": "Comment Tag", "fore":"#888A85", "back":"#FBE746", "weight":"Bold" },
    18.        {"name": "String", "fore":"#FCC7FC" },
    19.        {"name": "Number", "fore":"#00E3ED" },
    20.        {"name": "Preprocessor", "fore":"#719DCF", "style":"Italic" },
    21.        {"name": "Preprocessor(Region Name)", "fore":"#719DCF", "style":"Italic" },
    22.        {"name": "Xml Text", "fore":"#D0D5CB" },
    23.        {"name": "Tooltip Text", "fore":"#D0D5CB", "back":"#555753" },
    24.        {"name": "Keyword(Access)", "fore":"#A3E8FF", "weight":"Bold" },
    25.        {"name": "Keyword(Type)", "fore":"#00F3FF" },
    26.        {"name": "Keyword(Operator)", "fore":"#00F3FF", "weight":"Bold" },
    27.        {"name": "Keyword(Selection)", "fore":"#A3EAFF", "weight":"Bold" },
    28.        {"name": "Keyword(Iteration)", "fore":"#00C3FF", "weight":"Bold" },
    29.        {"name": "Keyword(Jump)", "fore":"#B3ECFF", "weight":"Bold" },
    30.        {"name": "Keyword(Context)", "fore":"#9AE7FF", "weight":"Bold" },
    31.        {"name": "Keyword(Exception)", "fore":"#00C3FF", "weight":"Bold" },
    32.        {"name": "Keyword(Modifiers)", "fore":"#00BBFF", "weight":"Bold" },
    33.        {"name": "Keyword(Constants)", "fore":"#FF9930" },
    34.        {"name": "Keyword(Namespace)", "fore":"#99E9FF", "weight":"Bold" },
    35.        {"name": "Keyword(Property)", "fore":"#B2EEFF", "weight":"Bold" },
    36.        {"name": "Keyword(Declaration)", "fore":"#C4FAF8", "weight":"Bold" },
    37.        {"name": "Keyword(Parameter)", "fore":"#B2EEFF", "weight":"Bold" },
    38.        {"name": "Keyword(Operator Declaration)", "fore":"#A3ECFF", "weight":"Bold" },
    39.        {"name": "Keyword(Other)", "fore":"#AFEEFF", "weight":"Bold" },
    40.        {"name": "User Types", "fore":"#93CCCC" },
    41.        {"name": "User Types(Enums)", "fore":"#93CCCC" },
    42.        {"name": "User Types(Interfaces)", "fore":"#93CCCC" },
    43.        {"name": "User Types(Delegates)", "fore":"#93CCCC" },
    44.        {"name": "User Types(Value types)", "fore":"#93CCCC" },
    45.        {"name": "User Types(Type parameters)", "fore":"#93CCCC" },
    46.        {"name": "User Field Usage", "fore":"#DDEEFF" },
    47.        {"name": "User Field Declaration", "fore":"#FFFFFF" },
    48.        {"name": "User Property Usage", "fore":"#99F6FF" },
    49.        {"name": "User Property Declaration", "fore":"#FFFFFF" },
    50.        {"name": "User Event Usage", "fore":"#FBC7FB" },
    51.        {"name": "User Event Declaration", "fore":"#FBC7FB" },
    52.        {"name": "User Method Usage", "fore":"#FFFFFF" },
    53.        {"name": "User Method Declaration", "fore":"#FFFFFF" },
    54.        {"name": "User Parameter Usage", "fore":"#FFFFFF" },
    55.        {"name": "User Parameter Declaration", "fore":"#FBC7FB" },
    56.        {"name": "User Variable Usage", "fore":"#FFFFFF" },
    57.        {"name": "User Variable Declaration", "fore":"#FBC7FB" },
    58.        {"name": "Syntax Error", "fore":"#EF2828" },
    59.        {"name": "String Format Items", "fore":"#CC66CB" },
    60.        {"name": "Diff Line(Changed)", "fore":"#AD7FA7" },
    61.        {"name": "Diff Header", "fore":"#89E230", "weight":"Bold" },
    62.        {"name": "Diff Header(Old)", "fore":"#89E230", "weight":"Bold" },
    63.        {"name": "Diff Location", "fore":"#89E230", "weight":"Bold" },
    64.        {"name": "Html Attribute Name", "fore":"#D0D5CB" },
    65.        {"name": "Razor Code", "fore":"#D0D5CB", "back":"#202424" },
    66.        {"name": "Css Keyword", "fore":"#AD7FA7", "weight":"Bold" }
    67.    ]
    68. }

Flipbookee likes this.
  30. syscrusher

syscrusher

Good morning, @Flipbookee. I have a couple of points for discussion I wanted to raise for your consideration.
    1. I've been experimenting casually with the Scriptable Render Pipeline in Unity 2018.1. As you know, Unity has added the Shader Graph extension to edit shader files. To keep SI3 from conflicting with Shader Graph, I changed my SI3 preferences to have it not be the default for shader files. In some cases, I've found that this change causes SI3 to not open C# files, and VisualStudio comes up instead on a double-click. I can't reliably replicate this yet but wanted to see if you have any insight.
    2. Last night, Unity ate itself because I deleted some C# scripts that were part of an art asset. There was an error indicating an index out of range for an editor window (which was odd, because the C# code I deleted was just animation management for the art asset, with no custom editor extensions involved). I couldn't get SI3 to come back, even after restarting Unity and even though there were no C# compiler errors in the console log. I finally solved the problem by deleting and re-importing SI3, something that I've had to do before.
    I don't think #2 indicates anything wrong with SI3 itself, but rather is a symptom of the way Unity connects to editor extensions, that makes it unstable when Unity's window manager gets confused. I mention it here because I'm wondering if assembly definition for SI3 in the newer Unity versions could help prevent this. Any thoughts?

Flipbookee likes this.
  31. Deeeds

Deeeds

I've struggled, repeatedly, with this same problem, but with Visual Studio Code, and its plugin-like incorporation into Unity on a Mac. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't, sometimes it'd seem to corrupt, and require the entire setup within the project be redone. Also in 2018.1, but in the betas, Since then I've been using Si3 and Rider instead. Rider sometimes loses its connection with Unity, but other than that is fine.

Flipbookee likes this.
  32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @Bradamante, thanks for sharing your Bluevion color scheme! This is how it looks like in Si3:
    Bluevion.png

Is this how it looks like in MD? I may have messed something up while copying color values, but to be honest, I'm not sure I can work with this color scheme. Or maybe, I'm just not used to it ;)

The script is attached, if you want to try it or tweak it... Cheers!

Attached Files:

Deeeds likes this.
  33. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hmm, this looks like it will be another busy weekend for me (sorry, but I can't do anything in workdays this week). Thanks for reporting the issues!

34. Bradamante

Bradamante

Close enough.

Flipbookee likes this.
  35. syscrusher

syscrusher

Don't make this a high priority on my account; I didn't give you much to go on here. If I can get better replication steps I'll post them. :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  36. Bradamante

Bradamante

I tried following the instructions linked to earlier, but no dice. The code editor doesn't look like my Bluevion theme at all. Sometimes tinkering around in FGTextEditor the visuals do change, but not to what I want. I am also not sure if the Fira font is being used. It doesn't help that all this

Code (csharp):
    1.  [MenuItem("CONTEXT/MonoScript/Xcode Theme", false, 167)]
    2.     private static void SetCodeStyleXcode() { SelectTheme(1, false); }
    4.         [MenuItem("CONTEXT/MonoScript/Bluevion Theme", false, 168)]
    5.         private static void SetCodeStyleBluevion() {
    6.             SelectTheme (15, false);
    7.         }
    is not very intuitive. What the hell are these indexes and priorities?

Why is there no documentation for this? Not on the Flipbook website, not in the ReadMe file of the asset itself? Even if I would not want to use my own font or theme, even if I did not tinker with the code, I would not know how to change the fonts or theme?!

Wrong. Cmd-Y does not work. On macOS. Instead it creates a new line where the cursor is, like hitting Enter. F12 works, yes, if you use the F keys as standard function keys, which is not the default of macOS. The default for F12 on macOS is to make the volume louder. I kinda need this.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Flipbookee likes this.
  37. Deeeds

Deeeds

How much time have you spent using other code editors and around coders?

Flipbookee likes this.
  38. musspell

musspell

Hello,
    Just reporting some issues I'm having using SI3 with newer versions of Unity.

So, I've been playing with Unity 2018.2.0b1 for a couple of days and using SI3.
    Everything was working perfectly.

But, since after I updated the new Unity Hub today I'm having a lot of issues.
    The main issue is that most of the SI3 shortcuts stopped working (ctrl+s, ctrl+z, etc). They are all redirected to Unity now, even when the Si3 tabs are focused. So there is no way to even save the scripts I'm writing.

Already tried to reimport the plugin, restart Unity and create a fresh project with only SI3 with no luck.

Any clues to what might be happening? May the Unity Hub have broken something?
    I'll try to investigate a bit more what is happening and what may be causing the issue.

Really liked the last refatoration changes, good work.
    Looking forward to the renaming feature.

====
    Another unrelated issue is that the shortcut to comment lines (ctrl+k) is conflicting with the shortcut from ProBuilder to create a new cube. I couldn't find a way to change the keys in either plugin.

Flipbookee likes this.
  39. Bradamante

Bradamante

If memory serves my first code editor was BBEdit Lite, but my first "real" editor was Metrowerks CodeWarrior for Mac OS 8(?) in 2001. Around other coders? Well reading other people's code was always a thing, but literally sitting in an office next to other coders? Since 2012.

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. Deeeds

Deeeds

Cool. Great. In those years, I imagine you've learnt much about the personalities, motivations, inspiration and interpersonal relationships of coders.

Have you tried Sublime or VSCode?

Which of these do you enjoy most?

Flipbookee likes this.
  41. syscrusher

syscrusher

FWIW, I use a Macbook Pro as one of my machines for Unity, and I have found that in general almost any developer activity on a Mac goes better if you make the function keys work like function keys. In a code editor you'll spend a lot more time doing search and replace than you will controlling your audio playback.

My memory may be foggy here, but if I recall @Flipbookee doesn't personally own a Mac due to cost, and so Mac support has to be done at one level removed. I've reported Mac keyboard issues for SI3 previously and always received great tech support on getting them fixed. It takes a little more active involvement from the user reporting the bug if the developer doesn't own the target hardware, and very few people can afford to own one of everything. :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  42. Bradamante

Bradamante

I think I have yes. Not sure what you are trying to say?

I have not yet worked with these editors. Currently I shy away from VSCode since it is based on Electron and I don't like the idea of supporting the trend of non native Mac apps emulating a native Mac feel or generally speaking the trend of JS on the desktop. And of course we heard multiple reports recently about security issues of this tech.
    I have heard good things about Sublime of course, but to my knowledge Sublime does not integrate well with Unity (debugging, jump to error lines from Unity etc).

Not sure why this is relevant, I like the idea of a code editor within Unity, hence I am trying to get SI3 to work. Yet I see no online documentation, readme file or code comments explaining how to integrate custom fonts or color schemes, or even how to switch the built-in ones.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Flipbookee likes this.
  43. sngdan

sngdan

When I started with SI3, I invested some time in going through all menus and testing the effect of the settings (changing built-in fonts is in a menu)

The thing is like other tools, there will be a few things, you wish were different- the good thing, if you invest a little time you can customize the source (will take some time).

Nowadays, I just use the original version because it is quite good (in particular after getting used to it)

Because it is integrated with Unity, the shortcut thing is at times a bit frustrating- but I think SI3 does what is possible and this point goes back to Unity / maybe they could have something better for shortcut compatibility.

Overall, my advice is to get used to SI3, accepting that some things are not exactly as you want, it’s just a transition phase and you will get used to it quite quickly- and maybe do a hack for 1-2 must haves

Flipbookee likes this.
  44. musspell

musspell

I don't know what happened, but now the shortcuts are working again.
    Everything is fine!

Flipbookee likes this.
  45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Bradamante, excuse me, I wasn’t around these last few days to explain... Right, there’s no documentation to show how to select the built-in color themes and fonts. I thought that would be too obvious to be explained - the gear button in the top right corner contains a dropdown menu with those options, so I thought that would be one of the first things a new user will discover ;)

Adding custom fonts or color themes was never a feature of Si3 that I have mentioned or advertised, even though users can still do that with a small effort. In fact, Unity’s font rendering for long time wasn’t as good as it is now, so back in the days I spent a lot of time to find some nice looking fonts that actually worked nicely in the Editor.

I hope that makes sense and I see the need for making this more user friendly now that the range of supported fonts in Unity has increased dramatically. I’ll take care of that and until then you are free to use the existing options or even extend them with a little bit of efforts. Of course, I or someone else in this thread will be always here to help with that! (thanks guys, you’re amazing! :))

46. Deeeds

Deeeds

I understand your philosophical and ethical reasoning. And agree. VSCode irks me, Rider does, too, because it's not nearly as quick as it could be if they made it with Swift/Objective-C with their other app, AppCode. I love writing in Sublime, huge swathes of text, in 8 layups. For this, it can't be beat. For coding fast and light, I don't mind the missing Unity stuff. I fix my mistakes in Si3 and then Rider tells me all about my stylistic "mistakes".

Point of it all: programmers don't make visual tools. VSCode and Sublime (and Rider) use XML-like files to edit all their settings. In this sense, Si3 is no different. I agree, GUI for everything is best. But it's not how coders think, work or imagine. And it's for the best, because coders doing GUI and UX is... funky. At best. They have different sensibilities and remember things like numbers for colours. I don't.

Flipbookee likes this.
  47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, great then! :) I don't know what happened either, but I'll try that with the Hub and check are there any issues related to that... Just tell me, on what OS was that?

48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I know and I tried to do something to prevent that bug in ProBuilder (even though it shouldn't be my job to fix their bugs) but so far I didn't find a way to do that in a nice way because they've put that command handler in a DLL, unlike all other commands. I already complained to Unity about that (with no effect so gar) but I'll investigate other ways to prevent them from stealing keyboard shortcuts like that... Till then, please use the alternative shortcut for toggling comments in Si3 - Ctrl+/ ;)

49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yay! Tuto Unity FR made a video review of Si3 :D

It’s in French, so I only understood les than half of it :p but still it’s a great birthday present - Si3 turned 6... yesterday ;)

50. h00w

h00w

Hello @Flipbookee ,
    I can't type Chinese characters in the SI3.
    Can you support it?

Flipbookee likes this.