Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@mrleon, that is the important bug-fix I mentioned - in 3.0.13 under some conditions some of the Si3 tabs would open outside of the visible screen area and they will stay there even when you try to open the same script again. The bug is fixed in 3.0.14, so the new tabs will open correctly unless a script is already open in a tab outside of the screen. You'll have to close all those invisible Si3 tabs in order to get Si3 work normally again, which is now tricky because you can't see those tabs. One easy way to do that is to select a Layout (any layout should be fine), but then you'll have to configure your preferred layout again. A nicer way to close those Si3 tabs is to select Close All Other Si3 Tabs using the context menu on a visible Si3 tab title. After that all scripts must open on double-clicks!

I know, that was a terrible bug and you have full right to be mad at me for letting it slip in! :oops: But trust me, the intention was to eliminate the error shown in Unity 5.4 and to get reloading after recompile to work much much faster than before. You might have noticed how Si3 in 3.0.13 becomes responsive right after reloading the assemblies, and 3.0.14 does the same but without that bug with positioning of Si3 tabs.,. So I hope the time that improvement saves will be enough to cover up for the time you may have lost wondering where's your script ;)

However, using Unity 5.3.5f1 is a really bad idea!!! There is a bug in it that makes using editor extensions almost impossible, regardless if they are taken from the Asset Store or they are your own extensions. The bug was introduced in Unity 5.3.4p4 and it was fixed in 5.3.5p6, so you should upgrade your Unity to at least that version - 5.3.5 patch 6.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  2. mrleon

mrleon

Thanks for the help, I didn't know about the bad unity version and also didn't make the the connection that what I was experiencing were offscreen floating windows. Updating Unity to the latest and also using the latest Si3 fixed my problems!

Flipbookee likes this.
  3. syscrusher

syscrusher

@Flipbookee, I mainly just wanted to say thanks for continuing to keep this phenomenal asset up to date, and adding features. This is absolutely the very first asset I import any time I start a new project, even for a throwaway test or prototype. I can't stand working without it!

One quick question: What is the "Undo" key combo within the SI3 editor on Mac? Command-Z, the usual Mac combo, seems to be passed onward from SI3 to Unity's default key handler. I can't believe I haven't gotten around to asking this question until now after using SI for months. (hanging head in shame...)

Thanks again for an indispensable asset. I gave it a five star review because Asset Store won't allow six. :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  4. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Tinjaw likes this.
  5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Important info for all Si3 users!

After further investigation and some really huge help by @Nalincah, I managed to reproduce and find out the reason for that issue when some files would not open in Si3! It turned out Unity layout was getting corrupted because of the their assemblies reloading bug on script compile error. I was ranting how dangerous that bug may be as it can easily corrupt project data, and it did exactly that :D it corrupted the Unity Layout serialized data! It's funny that their own bug corrupted their own data, but not funny at all that Si3 got blamed for that by some reviewers :mad: (most of which got updated already, except the last one by @svanvs :()

Anyway, if you have at some point tried to use Si3 in one of the broken Unity releases then on a compile error you may have noticed that Si3 tabs disappear. After fixing the compile error those tabs stay invisible and they are saved with the layout data, and any attempt to open those scripts in Si3 again would result with those invisible windows getting focused, which of course looks like nothing is happening... The bad thing is that the layout data remains corrupted even after upgrading Unity to a version where the bug is fixed (5.3.5 patch 6 or a newer version)!

Switching the Unity Layout "fixes" the issue! So please do that if you are experiencing the bug (and of course don't use the broken Unity builds - upgrade to 5.3.5 patch 6 or anything else released after that)...

@Nalincah has helped me to find a 100% repro case, which means I can now easily reproduce the bug so that I can look for solutions. It's a bit tricky to dig inside Unity's internal data, but I think I'm on a good track to detect the corruption and eventually apply a workaround that makes Si3 work again even without resetting your current layout. :)

Stay tuned for another Si3 update soon...

6. syscrusher

syscrusher

Good evening!

I just updated to Unity 5.4.0f3, and I get the following error from Si3:

GetString is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'FGCodeWindow'.
    See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
    UnityEditor.EditorPrefs:GetString(String, String)
    ScriptInspector.FGCodeWindow:.cctor() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGCodeWindow.cs:244)

I moved the offending line, and the one after it which used the result, to the very beginning of OnEnable(). That seems to be working for me, but I emphasize that I have not extensively tested yet.

7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@syscrusher That was fixed in 3.0.13 ;) and your stack trace seems to be coming from 3.0.12. Just update to the latest version 3.0.14 and it will all be fine :cool:

8. syscrusher

syscrusher

Ah, thanks. I have the new version on disk, and I thought I had imported SI3 to my current project after upgrading, but I must have already imported it before I downloaded the new version. I'll reimport from the new download. Thanks for the reply. :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  9. 2dgame

2dgame

@Flipbookee Do you think you could make the shortcuts for curly brackets and square brackets available via Ctrl+Alt instead of having to use the right Alt key? I am very accustomed to using Ctrl+Alt for those.

Thanks!

syscrusher likes this.
  10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@2dgame Yes, that should be doable. What keyboard is that?

11. 2dgame

2dgame

I'm using a german layout where curly brackets are on 7 to open, 0 to close. Square brackets are on 8 to open and 9 to close.

12. syscrusher

syscrusher

Not directly applicable, but related: When considering key shortcuts, remember that Macbook laptops have Command and Option (Alt) keys on both sides, but no right Control key. :)

13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @2dgame! I'll check and hopefully fix this quickly...

Yep @syscrusher, I know that. Is there anything in particular that needs to be changed in Si3?

14. syscrusher

syscrusher

The only thing that I'd really like to request is integration of the patch for undo within a source file, the one for which you sent me the link previously. Even if it is not the default, and I have to enable it as a preference, it would still be nice not to have to third-party-patch SI3 in each project. Your fault for making an asset that is so valuable it's used in even the smallest projects. :)

Other than that, there are no specific problems with Macbook keyboard for me. My comment was a general principle.

Flipbookee likes this.
  15. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

@Flipbookee for 3.1 could you also include a .dll?
    It's easier to drop-in across project and cleaner in the script editor not to see... well the script editor.

Tinjaw and Flipbookee like this.
  16. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes! Maybe not for 3.1, but a bit later. There's a way to make Unity dll plugins available across all projects without importing the plugin to all projects, and that's the main reason why I have to make the dll version ;)

Tinjaw and laurentlavigne like this.
  17. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

You mean one location multiple project? Please do share that information.
    And .... .dll when? :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, I haven't tried that myself yet, but someone (not sure now who was that :p) claimed any dll placed in this folder below becomes available across all Unity projects:
    "c:\Program Files\Unity 5.3.1\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity"
    ("Unity 5.3.1" is where my Unity is installed on Windows)

"when?"... Not sure. I was looking for a way to make Si3 auto-compile itself. That way you could still use the benefits of having access to its full source code and still be able to get it compiled in a dll after adding your own customisations. Other than that, Si3 needs some changes to work from a dll and I haven't found time to do that yet.

Tinjaw and laurentlavigne like this.
  19. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Flipbookee likes this.
  20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@laurentlavigne Well, we can invoke the Mono compiler that comes with Unity to create a dll ;)

Thanks for the link to that old thread! It leads to some other useful resources :)

21. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

Hi flipbookee! any schedule for unity script auto completion ?

Many thanks !

Flipbookee likes this.
  22. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

On the brink of hijacking your thread, can you share more on this? I want to bake tons of crap to dll and the mono workflow cost me the "," key on my macbook.

23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

No timeline, but I will look at that these days as I'll have some more time during this week. I'll let you know is there anything to be expected soon :)

24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Have you checked Mad Compile Time Optimizer? I haven't tried that yet, but it sounds like exactly the tool you're looking for ;)

I was planning to invoke the mcs command line compiler as explained here:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UsingDLL.html

I'd have to make a list of all Si3 source files to pass it to the compiler and let it produce the dll. There are one or two things I'm still not sure about - how are asset GUID's of scripts stored in the dll and how to make the dll inactive when opening a project where Si3 is present in source code form. I'm also not sure do GUID's have to match the script assets or not.

25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe, according to @jbevain's tweet, VSTU will soon be able to do this as well. :p

MonoBehaviourMagicMethods.gif

...while you guys are enjoying that in Si3 since more than a year ago :cool:

26. punk

punk

Did you ever get auto format working for a document ie like ctrl K, ctrl D in VS?

Flipbookee likes this.
  27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Not yet... soon, I will ;)

I just checked your Abracadabro :) it looks like a great fun to play game! :D But I can't play it, I've given up Android in favor of iOS :p

Was it made with Si3?

28. punk

punk

It was :)

Fronne and Flipbookee like this.
  29. punk

punk

I use Si3 for everything, fantastic editor, better than visual studio I reckon ;)

30. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @punk! :cool:

Yay, that's cool! :D

I only know about a couple of projects made with Si3 (counting Si3 itself as well :p hehe), but it would be sooo cool if you guys are so kind to show me what you've done with it :)

punk likes this.
  31. kenlem

kenlem

As update on Fode Colding?

One thing that I run into is that if my code doesn't compile, SI can break and no longer work. Is there a fix for that? Maybe precompiled DLL?

32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Not yet, soon I hope...

Is that om introducing a compile error while Unity is running? If yes then you shouldn't use any of the broken Unity builds, not only because Si3 doesn't work with them but also because other extensions, your code code and even Unity's own code don't work with those builds :p

So, the broken Unity builds are all starting from Unity 5.3.4p4 and up to Unity 5.3.5p5. They were fixed in Unity 5.3.5 patch 6, and the bug hasn't reappeares since then. :)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  33. syscrusher

syscrusher

I'm running Unity 5.4, and yesterday I had a compiler error that crashed Unity. When I restarted Unity, the fact that my code would not compile caused SI to fail, and every SI window gave an error message in the console. I fixed my code syntax in Monodevelop and recompiled, then SI started working again.

If this was a Unity bug, I don't think it's as fixed as they thought.

34. mcmorry

mcmorry

Can it be that your broken code was in the Plugin folder?

35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@syscrusher and @mcmorry, no, this is normal behavior of the Editor. ;) When the Editor is running and it has already loaded the assemblies and a script error is introduced the compile fails and the Editor keeps running previously loaded assemblies. Those assemblies will only unload if the Editor crashes, it gets closed, or the Unity project unloads (in order to load a new one or even the same project).

On opening a project, the Editor checks if the assemblies match the existing scripts and if they don't it will try to compile them (this is how it's been working since I know about Unity). Now if the compile fails then no assemblies are loaded and the Editor opens the project without any of the project script assemblies. Having Si3 as a dll will help in this case to find and fix the compile error, I agree, and this needs to be done and it will be!

So @kenlem, what is your Unity version?

syscrusher and mcmorry like this.
  36. syscrusher

syscrusher

No, but that's a good thought. I think @Flipbookee's explanation covers what I observed. :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  37. sindrijo_

sindrijo_

I just got this about 10 minutes ago and so far I'm very impressed, I was worried that some of the navigation functions I'm used to from VS weren't going to be there but most are, really good for the price! I'll give it a serious try this week though I'm really used to having ReSharper/DotPeek though. (Maybe I can hack it in somehow...)

The autocomplete seems to work very well, impressive.

I was surprised to see that you need to have the old console window open for the log window to work but it became obvious when I looked at the code for it, it's using reflection to grab what the console window generates.

One big missing feature is autocomplete/"intellisense" support for extension methods as I use those quite extensively...
    Edit: This is actually included as well! I've just been spoiled by ReSharper's auto-import feature... that is you start typing and if it's a unknown type/symbol ReSharper looks for it and lets you auto-complete/import it which will add the appropriate 'using' to the file... THAT would be VERY nice thing to have!

Some immediate things I miss is automatic highlighting of a variable/local variable usages when selecting it. I'm aware of CTRL+SHIFT+UP/DOWN. but it doesn't respect scope as it seems to be just a normal text-search. I'll have to look into how the lexer/grammar engine works to see if I can easily add it myself.
    Edit: Apparently it actually works correctly! :D

One thing I think that would be pretty nice is "scope labels" when your cursor is highlighting/near a closing brace and the corresponding opening brace is not visible, it should display a label so you can see the control/signature whatever it is that came immediately before that brace, this can be useful when adding code to the ends of some long statements of files because there you could encounter a few braces and you're not sure exactly where/in what scope the is... you pretty much have this already with the breadcrumb navigation.

Oh and custom color themes, though if I can be bothered I can probably hack something together to get it working.

I'll be back here in a few days/a week or so with more feedback/praise/ideas/critique...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Flipbookee and 2dgame like this.
  38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @sindrijo_ ! I'm glad to see you impressed :D Wait until you discover autocompletions for Unity Message Handlers, a.k.a. Magic Methods ;)

You can customize color themes, search for a name of one of the.existing themes inside FGTextEditor.cs and you'll figure it out. If you manage to port a nice looking theme don't forget to share it with me so I can include it in Si3 :)

Yes, I know what you think about scope labels - that's a really nice feature in ReSharper, although I'm not a big fan of R#. I'll see what I can do about that....

Thanks for the great feedback and I 'm looking forward for some more soon :cool:

39. magarcan

magarcan

Looks awesome but $55 is not something all indie developers can afford. I'll wait til some discount.

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @magarcan! :) Yeah, it sounds pricy if you don't know I've spent more than 4 years working on it and that it currently counts around 55000 lines of code. ;) It also comes with a promise for a lot more free updates and support.

Of course, you can wait for a discount and that will save you some bucks for sure, but once you try Si3 you'll also want to buy me a drink for creating your favorite asset, so you'll spend that money again when you get a chance :p (j/k)

41. kenlem

kenlem

Honestly, the first thing I do when I start a new project is install Script Inspector. It really changes the way I use Unity. I love it. I paid full price and I'd still buy you a drink!

Fronne, punk and Flipbookee like this.
  42. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Ditto..

For the price, it is a bargain. Look at the price of ReSharper. And then consider, you have to pretty much re-buy it at least annually.. Script Inspector gives me most of what I used ReSharper for with the added bonus that I never have to actually leave Unity! And when I spoke with @Flipbookee before purchasing, a lot of the other things I used in ReSharper are on his list of things to do.

Also Script Inspector seems to be regularly updated and has awesome support. It would be impractical for him to provide that at a lower cost.

Keep up the awesome work @Flipbookee!

Fronne, John-G and Flipbookee like this.
  43. mcmorry

mcmorry

I would be happy to pay an yearly subscription to support even more the development of the plugin.
    I really would like to see more features implemented!

44. SarperS

SarperS

+1. Something like Patreon would be even better. But I guess the problem is, Si3 will never let @Flipbookee go full time and afaik he works on it as much as possible while maintaining a full time job. So I'm not sure if it would increase the amount of updates or the features added.

Flipbookee likes this.
  45. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Bad news for today ! I'm on Unity 5.4.1 x64 Windows 10 and SI3 3.0.14

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
    2. Parameter name: array
    3. System.Array.BinarySearch[Entry`1] (.Entry`1[] array, .Entry`1 value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Array.cs:2044)
    4. FavoritesTab+Favorites.OnAssetDeleted (System.String path) (at Assets/_Shared/ThirdParties/FlipbookGames/FavoritesTab/Editor/Scripts/FavoritesTab.cs:795)
    5. FavoritesTab+FavoritesTabAssetPostprocessor.OnPostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] importedAssets, System.String[] deletedAssets, System.String[] movedAssets, System.String[] movedFromAssetPaths) (at Assets/_Shared/ThirdParties/FlipbookGames/FavoritesTab/Editor/Scripts/FavoritesTab.cs:272)
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    7. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    9. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    10. UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal.PostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] importedAssets, System.String[] addedAssets, System.String[] deletedAssets, System.String[] movedAssets, System.String[] movedFromPathAssets) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetPostprocessor.cs:27)

Flipbookee likes this.
  46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @thienhaflash, that's some bad news for the Favorites Tabs, the call stack comes from there. :p Still, great find - I'll fix it! Is that the latest version?

47. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Arr, my bad ;(

I checked SI version only but quite possibly it's lastest version of FavoriteTabs too as I always update both at the same time.

48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey, hey! Good news for everyone :)

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.15

got just released on Asset Store :cool:

Some of the included fixes this time are very critical, so please update ALL of your projects! :rolleyes: Oh, and of course, you'll get some cool new features as well :D

What's new:
    • Added easy navigation to handlers in your code from UnityEvent fields in the Inspector - thanks @JoeStrout
    • Auto-fixing corrupted window layout data :)
    • Customizable tabs size - thanks @dstanley
    • Help on unresolved symbols opens search on Unity Scripting References - thanks @_Adriaan
    • New option to disable changing font size with Ctrl/Cmd + MouseWheel - thanks @Mocho & @Sarinen
    • SI tabs now show the filename and path
    • Auto-closing SI tabs for missing scripts
    • Cmd-Shift-W and Cmd-F4 are closing the current SI tab on OS X - thanks @_Adriaan & @mcmorry
    • Fixed a crash of Unity with recently updated Mono runtime caused by infinite recursion while resolving certain constructed generic types - thanks @JoeStrout
    • Removed unnecessary calls to EditorWindow.mouseOverWindow since accessing that property may crash Unity 5.4 on OS X - thanks @sngdan
    • Attempt to avoid another crash in Unity 5.4 on OS X - thanks @sngdan
    • Fixed initial repainting of SI tabs after reloading assemblies
    • Fixed keyboard shortcut for Replace All command - thanks @Sarinen
    • Fixed finding references to virtual properties - thanks @Eduardnaut
    • Fixed listing operator method definitions in code navigation toolbar
    • Fixed operator methods shown as completions
    • Fixed resolving method overloads that take a parameter of type double - thanks @_Daniel_
    • Fixed resolving extension methods hidden by a member with the same name - thanks @JoeStrout
    • Fixed word wrap formatting on resize when docking SI tabs - thanks @AdamBuckner
    • Fixed word wrap in Inspector view on retina displays - thanks @sngdan
    • More retina display fixes
    Thanks to everyone who helped me with the release! :)

If you haven't posted a review yet, then you're one of those "other" 1200 Si3 users, but I really hope this free goodness will make you spread the word and join the 81 cool ones ;)

Please let me know how these cool updates work for you (or if they don't)... Enjoy!

SarperS, punk, mcmorry and 2 others like this.
  49. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Unity's bug, was introduced in Unity 5.3.4 patch 4, so don't use that or any later version up to Unity 5.3.5 patch 5.

50. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey folks, are you using Visual Studio? They have been working on improving solution loading time in VS 15 Preview 5:
    They also showed a video where a solution that used to open in 30 seconds now can open in "only" 15 seconds... So that moves VS much closer to Si3 speed - now they only have to reduce the loading time for 15 seconds more :p :p :p ... Just saying ;)

Has anyone tried Si3's new UnityEvent property drawer? :)

Fronne, punk and JoeStrout like this.