Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

FWIW, no, I'm not experiencing that issue. Each script I open becomes another tab in the SI window. (Hmm, I'd better stick with Si3... when I write SI, it makes me think of a major sporting events periodical known for its photography.)

Here is something I miss from MonoDevelop, though: I'm used to typing "///" above a function, and getting a doxygen-style function header filled in for me. I wonder if there's some way to approximate that using Si3's code templates? Or some other clever trick I haven't learned about yet?

2. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey,

I'm on Unity 5.2.1

Thanks,
    jrDev

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hey @jrDev, not sure if you've tried this, but does the "Toggle Floating Tabs" command under Window > Script Inspector 3 affect this issue at all?

4. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay... And you're one the new El Capitan as well?

@jrDev, I was suspecting this might be some issue related to Unity Layouts, that's why I asked to try it in a new empty project. Did you try that?

This is a good point! @jrDev, please try toggling floating windows twice. Are they still showing each in a separate window?

5. SarperS

SarperS

@Flipbookee Encountered a strange behaviour today, I can only open script files from the dialog I open with "Shift + Alt + O", nothing happens if I select a shader file. Is this a bug?

6. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Sarper Soher, are you talking about selecting shaders on single-click? What happens when you double-click them? Is your Si3 set to open shaders on double-click? Do you have any other editor extension that's related to somehow to shaders?

7. LarryWP

LarryWP

I've been suffering through VS2013 and it's stupid linking issues with Unity. MonoDevelop (MongoloidDevelop) is not even an option anymore. What a waste that is. I need a slight push to buy SI3, anyone feel like giving me a shove? :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  8. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@LarryWP hehe :) that's funny! I'll send you the latest Si3 version 3.0.8 in a minute ;)

9. LarryWP

LarryWP

You really did send it. That amazes me. However, we will consider this a shareware test, and if I like it better than my other two options, I will purchase it in the Asset store. This will be a trial copy. I will be posting here more soon!

Thanks again Flipbookee.

Edit: First off, I see your going to have to slow it down for the older devs. I'm used to using VS2013 and at my age, I have to watch my heart rate. Instead of waiting, waiting, and waiting for VS to open the first time and load the two VS assets that help slow it down, I opened SI3 and I had just enough time to blink. Dang it opens fast!

I pinned it to my Unity windows and it's nice having it right there inside my work space. I also dragged it onto my second monitor and it's great there too. It took over the spot that MonoNucleosus had at one time, I mean Mono Develop. I would have typed that as one word, but the word Develop does NOT belong connected to Mono, just doesn't work.

More later...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    JoeStrout and Flipbookee like this.
  10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe, nice :) thanks man! :D

There are many reasons why Si3 does that so fast, one of which is that it doesn't deal with solution and project files. Si3 relies on the fact that all the scripts, shaders and text files of a Unity project are already scanned and enumerated by its AssetDatabase component and there are strict rules in Unity regarding what script belongs to which project. Si3 uses those same rules, while MD and VS as general purpose IDE's have to read that info from solution and project files... Buggy as it is, MD will often fail reading even that :p so the folks at Unity are planning to add REST integration between Unity and MD to make this more reliable, hehe! Well, if transferring data using the file system doesn't work, then try transferring it over sockets :p :D

11. LarryWP

LarryWP

MonoNonDevelop would probably get lost in the network it's so stupid. They would have to send out a socket search party to reel it back in. I really do have a hate for MD. It's never worked right for me on several systems, all the same. The latest issue is that it opens every time with an error, and that error box is behind the logo. The logo won't go away, I can't click the error to make that go away so it hangs in limbo. Control+Alt+Delete to close it.

The main issues I have with Visual Studio (2012, 2013, 2015, I've tried all three) is the first time they open, I literally could go to the bathroom and take a leak, come back, and it might be ready. Minutes. I walk slow too. :) I get tired of solution files and all the VS quirks. I want to get in and get out, and while I'm making the trip, I need as much popup help as I can get. That's not any version of VS. The other day I accidentally double clicked a readme.txt file inside Unity and it went to open up in VS, I just went and did something else for a while...

Some might be saying my PC is old and slow. Nope, pretty new and fast with lots of memory. VS opens much faster OUTSIDE of Unity. The two assets I use for VS to help with comments and such, they might slow it down, I don't know and don't really care. VS is too much bloat for me. I'm looking forward to using Si3 more and seeing what else it can do. Thank you sir!

Flipbookee likes this.
  12. SarperS

SarperS

The dialog closes and nothing happens whereas the C# scripts open up a Si3 window normally. I've tried with double click and Enter also.

Yes.

Nope.

Would a gif showing the problem help?

Flipbookee likes this.
  13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, I see what you mean... You've found a bug!

Double-click in the Project window works fine, but not in the Alt-Shift-O dialog. I'll check this right now...

14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Sarper Soher yes, my bad... Please remove the "as TextAsset" part in Si3 Open Any File.cs, at line 43 and save it. That will fix it ;)

Very nice find actually! I'll have to check now the rest of my code for similarly overlooked cases.

SarperS and JoeStrout like this.
  15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe yes, I know this, I had the same issue :D

You need a fast SSD as well for VS, seems like :p j/k Thanks for the info! :)

16. crafTDev

crafTDev

Yes, I tried this and it just shows/hides as normal, this problem still happens in a new project too.

I can drag and drop to combine them, but as soon as I hide them it happens again when trying to show.

Thanks,
    jrDev

17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@jrDev, I see... No idea what's this now :confused:

Okay, is anyone else using Unity 5.2.1 on El Capitan? Are floating Si3 tabs working as they are supposed to for you?

18. SarperS

SarperS

I'm getting a compile error about casting when I remove it.

Cannot implicitly convert type `UnityEngine.Object' to `UnityEngine.TextAsset'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)

19. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah dammit, yes, change the type of "selected" to be Object. I forgot that I had to do that as well, sorry!

SarperS likes this.
  20. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

OK, I just ran into an instance where, for the first time, Si3 replaced my correct code with incorrect code. :( I was trying to type:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. return loadedMods.FindAll(t => t is ProjectMod);
    I tend to type very quickly and accurately, so you can imagine my surprise when I hit Run, and found a compiler error, because my code had been changed to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. return loadedMods.FindAll(true => t is ProjectMod);
    Fortunately 'true' is not valid in this context, so it didn't compile. But it's not hard to imagine other cases where this might have been something that compiled, but simply didn't work. Scary stuff.

This change happens as soon as I press the spacebar after typing "t". I didn't catch it because I wasn't expecting it, and I was thinking hard about my next step. I'm really not OK with the editor thinking it knows better than I do about what I want.

Here's my proposed solution: don't select from intellisense on spacebar. Do it when the Tab key is pressed instead. This is the way the REALbasic/Xojo IDE has worked for years, and it's great; you quickly get used to "thing you want is highlighted? Smack tab and go on." But when you don't want what's highlighted, you can just keep typing, and you get what you type. Unless you're typing Python or a comment, it's quite rare to want tabs in your code, so (unlike the spacebar) this isn't overloading something that you might intend for something else.

To me, this is so much better than overloading the spacebar that I can't imagine why everybody wouldn't love it. But, since I've been around a while, I know there are those who would hate it. So I guess it could be an option in the Preferences.

But please, please, please make it either an option or the new standard behavior. When I type space, I expect to get a space... having the editor instead change my perfectly good code into incorrect code is really not cool.

EDIT: I found where to hack the code to get this behavior... and whoa nelly, it's not just the spacebar that has been overloaded by default! It's pretty much anything. I get that this is good if you don't want to press a special key to get autocomplete to happen, but prefer to just keep typing... but it raises the danger of autocomplete popping in when you don't want it to. So, for folks like me who would rather explicitly accept the suggestion, go to line 712 of FGListPopup.cs, and change:
    Code (Csharp):
    1. var acceptWith = "\t\n {}[]().,:;+-*/%&|^!~=<>?@#\'\"\\";
    to:
    Code (Csharp):
    1. var acceptWith = "\t\n";
    In future versions, I'd love to see this controlled by a simple preference along the lines of "Require Tab or Return to accept autocomplete".

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    crafTDev and Flipbookee like this.
  21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@JoeStrout yes, I know there's an issue when a lambda expression is expected, Si3 will try to offer auto-completions where parameters are supposed to be, and I'll change that because I know this is annoying and I already know where's the lambda expected! I'll also add an option to disallow the other characters for accepting completions, so you'll be able to say only Tab is going to replace what you've typed already... This will not be default option though, but once you turn it on it will stay there for all future updates ;)

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

JoeStrout and crafTDev like this.
  22. unicat

unicat

Is it possible to change the font size ? I`m on a 4k monitor.

Flipbookee likes this.
  23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes man! Just hold Ctrl on Windows or Cmd on OS X and roll the mouse wheel. Or Ctrl+Shift+Minus/Equals will also change the font size. If there's a touchpad then punch/zoom gestures do the same. ;)

You haven't read the readme.txt I'd guess so ;) You'll find a lot of tips there that will make you more productive, such as the Quick-Search for example - Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down Arrows :cool:

24. SarperS

SarperS

@Flipbookee do you have any plans to integrate a task list window for user defined comment keywords like "todo, fixme" etc.? It would be amazing to have a small window where we can see all those and double click on them to move to that line in Si3. Just like in Visual Studio.

Flipbookee likes this.
  25. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Sounds perfect. And maybe once you've fixed the issue with lambda expressions, I'll try going back to all keys... so far this is the only place where it has guessed wrong, so it could be I just tripped over the only stone in the path!

(And, by the way, you rock. This level of support & responsiveness is outstanding by any measure... and having the source code available, so I can tweak it to my own liking, is fully awesome.)

Flipbookee likes this.
  26. oguztecimer

oguztecimer

Hey, good job on making one of the most useful assets in the store! I can't find how to change the color scheme and the font. It would be nice if you can point it out so i wont have to go through the code :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @oguztecimer! :)

Do you just want to switch the font and the color scheme to some of the other ones in Si3? Or you want to add a completely different font than the ones that come with it, and tweak some of the colors of the built-in color schemes?

28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, but I'll have to understand how that works exactly in other editors... I have never used any of those windows! I only add TODO comments at places where I don't think I'll be able to do anything within a few days, and that may possibly take much longer than that - weeks or maybe months, so there's no point for me to keep an open window listing those places all that time. :p If it happens that I'll have time to finish those one day I can simply search for //TODO... So I assume the TODO windows must be doing something more than that, or otherwise I can simply take the Find in Files functionality of Si3 and adapt it to list TODO's, FIXME's, HACK's etc.

29. oguztecimer

oguztecimer

Well it would be nice to know how to do both. If there is a scheme that fits my preferences i will use it, else i will need to tweak them.

Flipbookee likes this.
  30. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe, thanks man! :D

The new cursor navigation for OS X is ready now! I didn't expect this is going to take that much time - full two days :p but it's good now I think... By default Si3 on OS X will work using the new word-breaking rules, while on Windows it will be same as it is now. And there are plenty of options to tweak this as you like it:
    upload_2015-11-4_20-17-0.png
    (all the Word Break Mode toggles are on by default on OS X)

So if you like you can use the OS X behavior on Windows and the other way around, or anything in between the two extremes.

Currently the cursor navigation history is bound to Alt+Left/Right arrows, so this will change automatically (if the first option "Use both modifiers" is on) to Cmd-Alt-Left/Right on OS X and Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right on Windows. :cool:

SarperS and JoeStrout like this.
  31. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Just click the gear button in the upper right corner in Si3 tabs and play with the fonts, font hinting, and try different color schemes (there are 15 currently, I'm pretty sure you'll find something to fit your taste ;))

upload_2015-11-4_20-27-37.png

Note that these fonts are the ones I've found to give the best results in Unity, handpicked and configured for you already :cool:

32. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

WOW! Looks fantastic! I hope this is putting your kids through college or something... you deserve every penny! Heck, I'm going to go right now and put a link to your asset in my signature, which I've never done before... but honestly, Si3 has fixed the #1 glaring deficiency in the Unity environment, and I can't thank you enough!

Flipbookee likes this.
  33. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh WOW!!! @JoeStrout, that's the biggest favor someone has done for me in these forums :D

Thank you so much! YAY!!! :cool:

34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

The easiest way to try your own fonts is by overwriting the existing ones in:
    Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/EditorResources/Fonts
    and in Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/EditorResources/Smooth Fonts
    (there are two copies, one of these is used depending on "Use Font Hinting" option)

If you want to tweak the built-in color schemes or add some more then check FGTextEditor.cs script and search for the name of one of the existing themes - I'm pretty sure you'll figure it out ;) Just tweak the values, save the changes and let Unity compile that. Changes will be immediately reflected in Si3 :) and congratulate yourself - you've just done some very cool magic - you've edited the source code of a code editor using that very same code editor! :cool:

Please share your new color scheme if you end up creating something cool! :)

35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@JoeStrout Thanks for the incredible review as well!!! :D

I hope I didn't make you feel bad when I mentioned those 2 days, that was not my intention at all! You made an absolutely valid point, and I took that as an advice what would make Si3 better, which has always been my goal. I'm really proud of what I have done so far and when I tell someone that this is one of the best assets on Unity Asset Store I want to say that with 100% of confidence ;) so I did that only because of my pride :p

It actually took that long because I wanted to make it configurable instead of just black and white, which then with only 4 binary options accounts to up to 16 variations of the same algorithm. Making sure it all works with all variants is what made it that more complex. But it was worth because the end result is so cool! :cool:

That was also meant to be my excuse for not being able to release 3.0.9 last weekend :p, hehe... Besides that, the Replace in All Files function turned out to be a little bit more complex than I expected - I had to add support for Si3 to change files without having them open in a view, verify that editing all those files will be allowed by version control systems and to checked them out, then to make sure those changes are registered by Si3's internal undo system, and finally that all this affects the type system (Si3's internal model of all the symbols defined in user scripts). Last two things still missing are a) the ability to optionally preview and select which occurrences will be replaced, and b) to group all those changes in affected files in one single undo/redo step...

This weekend I should be able to finish all that and go through the bugs reported since the last release to check if I have missed anything. And then we'll have another great Si3 update by Monday! Stay tuned :cool:

JoeStrout likes this.
  36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

YAY! Another one! :D

6-stars.png
    Thanks @Serepa!!! Nice and effective, perfect for my next tweet :cool:

JoeStrout likes this.
  37. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hello Flipbookee,

I just bought your SI3 asset. Is there a find and replace functionality?
    And is there a way to keep the floating tab the same size it was when I closed it?

Regards,
    Carlos

Flipbookee likes this.
  38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hi Carlos! :)

There is Find, Quick Find, and Find in Files currently. Replace in Files will come with the first next update, which is currently scheduled for Monday next week. This is what I was talking about in my post above ;)

Floating SI tabs are supposed to "remember" their last position and size and new ones to appear at same place. Is that not happening? :confused: I'll check, but please send me screenshots if that's not the case!

Thanks! :D

39. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hey man now it is working. It seems that I had to close Unity once before the floating tab starts remembering its size and position. I guess. It is working now. Thank you very much for your prompt response. Excellent product in many aspects, I just miss the replace all feature which is very very handy when coding.

Regards,
    Carlos

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah cool then! Thanks for the info :)

Ever since people started asking about Replace All I was wondering what's the big thing about that? I've been programming for more than 30 years and I don't even remember when was the last time I used that functionality :p I guess it's been at least 10 years since then... I'm either doing it wrong or I must be missing something very important :)

41. SarperS

SarperS

Refactoring! :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  42. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

@Flipbookee, I know you're working on Replace in Files, but I would think a Replace All within a single file would be useful too. Since a file typically represents one class (plus maybe a helper class or too), this is a very sensible scope to replace within. (EDIT: but since we can already limit our Find All scope to open tabs, I guess that takes care of it!)

As an example of where I would use it: I had an older project yesterday (in another environment) that was calling a deprecated method in a bunch of places. A Replace All made short work of it.

However, for my money, I'm not too fussed about it. This isn't something that comes up very often, and when it does, I'm content launching TextWrangler, which is very fast and has powerful search & replace in single or multiple files, with or without RegEx. It would be quite a lot of work to duplicate all that in Si3.

However, let me just throw out one more notion. The best way to support a multiple-replace functionality would be to tie it to your existing Find All functionality. In the Find Results window, you just need to add a couple more controls:
    1. A "Replace with:" text field.
    2. A Replace All button. (Replaces all the highlighted text with the new text.)
    3. A Replace Selected button. (Replaces highlighted text in only the selected rows.)
    4. Not a new control, but obviously you would need to enable multiple selection in the results list.
    This is basically how it works in REALbasic/Xojo, and it's fantastic — you can see exactly where your matches are, and select any subset of them to do the substitution in.

Flipbookee likes this.
  43. SarperS

SarperS

Jetbrains IDE's and Resharper have this "rename in place" feature also, it can detect all the usages, open up all the tabs optionally to make the operation undo-able, optionally detects usages in string literals (and comments), optionally rename the Property name if you are renaming a Backing Field etc.

Flipbookee likes this.
  44. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hey guys,

I noticed that when making a search using the shortcut (CTRL + F) while a word is highlighted, the search doesn't limit just to the word I highlighted... for example if I search for "diving" the search includes words like "freediving". How can I set the seach so it only finds the specific word I want instead?

Flipbookee likes this.
  45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @strongbox3d, there's no such option in the search field currently, but I will be changing slightly how that works today or tomorrow and I can easily add options for finding whole words only and for case sensitivity, similar to how's that done in Find in FIles. Alternatively you can use Find in Files with Match case and Match whole word options turned on. I'll also add an option to limit the search to the current script only there.

I was also thinking about extending the behavior of Quick Find shortcuts so that when it's done without any selection to be finding the next or previous reference to the symbol under the cursor. But I need to know first, what do you guys think about that?

46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

That's what I thought and that's what I was using it for until I discovered how wrong can that go! And it went wrong eventually, so then I learned what Rename refactoring is... I've never ever used Replace All since then :)

I'll add one additional option - Current File.

This is good example. Thanks!

Ah, that's so cool! Because that's exactly how it will work in Si3, so it's great to know I'm aiming for the right thing :)

JoeStrout likes this.
  47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

"To make the operation undoable"? Hehe, sometimes people just add ridiculous options like this one - a super powerful option to make the operation NOT undoable :p

But renaming properties and their backing fields at once sounds like a nice touch :)

48. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yep. Let me just encourage you not to throw in everything an enthusiastic user (even me!) asks for... we don't want to end up with the Microsoft Word of code editors! :) It's always good to think about elegance, and OK to sometimes say "no" to a feature that just means too much bloat (particularly in the UI) to handle a rare edge case encountered by a small fraction of users.

You've done such an amazing job up to this point that I'm not especially worried, but I just wanted to let you know that your users understand this and are cool with it.

Flipbookee likes this.
  49. SarperS

SarperS

Hahaha yeah well you may not want to open up 30 tabs for a rename operation, so it's required. If you uncheck it, it just renames the usages in files without opening them, thus you can't undo it.

Flipbookee likes this.
  50. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yeah, after thinking about this I thought that might be the reason... Which means VS sucks then if it allows undo only for opened files. :p Si3 rocks! With these recent changes Si3 allows files to be modified "in memory" if they are not shown in a tab, so changes will still be tracked in its undo buffers :D

JoeStrout likes this.