Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Here's the list of supported keyboard shortcuts so far for version 1.4:

Left, Right - move cursor one character
    Up, Down - move cursor one line
    End - moves cursor at end of line
    Home - moves cursor before the first non-whitespace character in line or at the beginning of line
    Page Up, Page Down - move cursor one page

Ctrl+Left/Right - move cursor one word
    Ctrl+Up/Down - scroll content one line (cursor doesn't move)
    Ctrl+Home - moves cursor at the beginning of file
    Ctrl+End - moves cursor at the end of file

Shift+any-cursor-move - selection

Ctrl+F - moves focus to search box
    Ctrl+C - copy selection
    Ctrl+A - select all
    Ctrl+Enter - opens file at line

Did I forget anything?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

OK, I found a solution for that! :)
    I also posted an answer to that question in case anyone is interested

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  4. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hello Everyone!!!

Script Inspector is part of the Asset Store Madness! Available now for an incredible price of only $5!!! :cool:

Enjoy!

P.S. And please share your opinion with me and the rest of the Unity community. :)
    P.P.S. If you liked Script Inspector, consider liking my Facebook Page too ;)
    P.P.P.S. Make sure you also check my brand new extension - Favorites Tab :cool:

5. kersk

kersk

Ah, couldn't resist for $5. Grabbed it. Works great.

I definitely agree with Jaimi, the upcoming code editing feature might come in handy in those rare cases where you just want to make a tiny edit to change a constant or add a missing semicolon after a compile error. But other than that, I'm just an alt-tab away from my editor. Don't go too crazy on trying to make a full-fledged editor, I'd much rather see you spend that time focusing on what makes this plugin really useful -- *quickly* looking at code and making very minor edits.

Off the top of my head, some feature suggestions:
    * Right now, when you get a compile error and you click on the log entry in the console, Unity "pings" the faulty script in the project view. Would it be possible to instead show the script inspector preview and jump right to the line number of the compile error? With the upcoming ability to make edits, this would be a killer feature.
    * Same thing as above for debug logs, exceptions, etc.
    * Expanding supported filetypes -- supporting more files, like .txt mentioned above is an absolute must. The role of this plugin is to let you quickly see text based content without making that big context switch over to your dedicated text editor. Being able to quickly view and make small changes to .txt, .xml, .csv, etc would be handy.
    * Key shortcuts for the "find next" and "find prev" UI arrow elements when searching.
    * VIM key bindings! j/k. ;)

6. Yann

Yann

Personally, I'm going really mad with the ultra-buggy MonoDevelop for Mac and would be very glad to see this asset evolve into a full editor with auto-completion, etc., even if I had to pay more for it.

7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks kersk!!! :) Much appreciated!

No, I'm not going crazy with features yet, the priority is to get a very basic editor first. I just felt like having all the fancy cursor navigation and selection methods available in fully featured editors would come really handy even with the basic editor. Well, not all of them, but at least those features which I use every day, otherwise it would be annoying for some people including me :p

Thanks a lot for those suggestions!

I was planning to grab the log entries from the console and show compile errors and exceptions in Script Inspector, and I know such feature would be great, so I'll have to see if that's anyhow doable later, after the editing is done.

More support for different file types will come soon too. That's easy enough, so it may come at same time as the editor feature.

There are keyboard shortcuts to jump to next and previous find in the current version, Up and Down arrow keys (when the focus in on the search field only, I think). Currently these are remapped to F3 and Shift+F3 in my working version.

VIM key bindings might be cool! Will see... ;)

8. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Working on Script Inspector so far was really exciting experience, and if it continues like that this might be very possible. Let's see... :cool:

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

Ctrl-X - Cut
    Ctrl-V - Paste

10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

He, he... :) Of course, those two will come with the editor feature

11. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hello Unity Folks!

I just wanted to thank everyone who grabbed a copy of Script Inspector so far, especially those lucky ones who got it on Madness price! This Madness thing turned out to be very effective way to promote assets, so if have something on Asset Store I can highly recommend you to participate. Script Inspector is selling like there's no tomorrow which helped it climb on Top Paid charts at least, if not on Top Grossing. No new reviews though, but I hope some people will appreciate this bargain and spend a minute to write some. :)

I know you've been waiting for the next update quite long time, and you'll have to wait only a few days more. Update has entered polishing and code clean up phase now, so you may expect it very soon. :cool:

Stay tuned...

12. Xeir

Xeir

Just added a review for you. Granted, I purchased it back during the previous asset sale but had been away for a few months so had no chance to try it out or even any of the numerous others I've picked up during past few sales. But now that I'm back, I'm going through them 1 by 1 and checking them all out, yours just happened to be first as I figured it was an everyday use type of add-on. And it most certainly is!

As I know many others are as well, certainly looking forward to the editing feature in the upcoming release!

13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks Xeir for your wonderful review! :D

14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I was actually planning to do that, but I'm not sure how much should I ask for it.

I'd like to keep the price low enough so anyone can afford it, but on the other hand Script Inspector has grown to about 2500 lines of code so far, and it took all of my spare time for about two months (for which I cannot really complain as it was really enjoyable experience).

Can anyone give me some suggestion?

15. nuverian

nuverian

It price raise really depends on the editing features you are planning to implement. Whats on your mind about them?

16. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

you shouldnt,
    the editing feature feature addon will add extra value to your already script, that will drive more sales. so imo, no need to bump up the price.

new clients will see that future updates or releases are free of charge so, that is another sales tool to gain more clients.

I have noticed that most of assets sellers jack up their prices every time they do a new revision of their existing assets in the store, that should not happen,

that business era is way over, and has become less credible or less motivational for new clients.
    the "buy it now because price will raise after this patch" no longer works nowadays, instead potential buyers just turn around and buy something else.

I am not just saying this because I dont want you to raise your price on your product, you can price it however you like, or raise as many times as you like.

but I am positive that you wont land as many sales as you should since your product can get burned from the client point of view due of unstable price.

one example, lets say you plan to buy Unity3d pro license, assuming you only have indie right now.
    you have been saving for some time to get your pro license, but just when you got all the money togehter to buy it, Unity decides to jack up the price from 1500 to 2K because they just released Unity4 since they added more extra features from existing ones in 3.5x

imagine every new unity revision Unity jacks the price a little.

I know the unity example price is just does not compare, but is just an example. how it makes you feel as a potential buyer.

buyers need to feel that they will be backed up from the developer they purchased from, future releases for free will make your existing clients to act as a sell tool for you, you dont have to do anything , your clients will speak for you and will drive you new sales.

you have a great product here, pretty much seems like a must have tool for untiy, so if the product gets polished the end result will get you more sales every single time you add a new extra feature to it.

just an opinion.

best of luck,

17. Jaimi

Jaimi

I think a "script editor" has significantly more worth than a "script viewer", and it's OK to raise the price if you are adding so much functionality that the worth of the asset is now greater. Personally, I would probably have bought an editor at perhaps $25, maybe $35.

18. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Okay, $5 is just irresistible.
    Now, first thing, how do I run this? (oh I have to read the Readme file using Monodevelop?!) LOL!

EDIT: Okay, it looks like it won't read text files unless its one of the script files. This extension just works once imported. You can view all the script files specified in the Readme (C#, JavaScript, and Boo!).

But, I would like to suggest for maybe Script Inspector to extend its functionality to read ALL TEXT FILES (regardless of extensions) like "readme" file (some of them may not have file extension).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  19. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey I am da bawss, thanks for buying it! Script Inspector is a custom inspector for scripts so there's no need to "run" it, it runs by itself inside the Inspector whenever you select a script in your Project window, same as any other custom inspector in Unity.

Now if you were expecting to see the selected script in a dedicated editor window I'd have to disappoint you because such thing is not implemented yet, and you'll have to wait until version 2.0 for that. Version 2.0 is also going to support editing and of course will be available as a free update to all of the existing customers. I'm sorry if this thread made you think editing is already there, I'm still working on that and so far there's full support for cursor navigation and selections inside the code view control, which is the most difficult part of the editing feature. Cursor navigation and selections is done and currently is in final testing phase, and it will be released as version 1.4 once it's polished enough for public release.

20. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Okay, I figure it out (or more like just read your Readme file in Monodevelop instead of your Script Inspector ;)) (also I edited my comment above now)

Seriously, you need to expand Script Inspector's text file support (eg *.txt, or any type of ASCII text file format) - its ironic I have to launch Monodevelop (which is very slow for me) just to read the Readme file you packaged with your script. It is as if you sell a key but it is packaged inside a locked safe and you need another key to open the lock just to get to the key! LOL !! :D

Also, I agree with others, it is FANTASTIC little tool for $5. I can't recommend it highly enough. I just wish you would bring the editing soon enough! I would love to have some basic editing features with this tool.

BTW, disregard my previous suggestion for Toolbar. I was used to the extensions being launch from Toolbar, but your extension DOES NOT NEED to be launch from Toolbar, it just works!! So PLEASE! Do not put it on toolbar! My Unity Toolbar is too crowded as it is!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, that would be great and it's planned to be done! The only problem is that Unity creates different object types for different assets and there's no support for custom inspectors that would work on any object type, so each supported type would require a separate custom inspector... Which is not a big issue if I know all the file types you would like to see as text.

22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks a lot! :) Reviews and star ratings are very welcome ;)

23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I was planning to have a very basic editor in the beginning, and later to expose a publicly available API so we can build add-ons that would do the fancy things like code completion, code snippets, function call parameters hints, and more if the advantage of running inside Unity and having full access to current Unity project and scene is taken. Just imagine being able to drag an asset or game object and drop into your code to get auto-generated code for accessing those objects! Or imagine a function that takes an asset path as a parameter and you get path auto-completion :) ... But I'm aware that I may not be able to do all of that by myself and that's why I would go for the API. Now those add-ons might be either free or paid and, if the author wants that, available on Asset Store. I would probably do the auto-completion by myself so others can use that as an example and reference. I'm pretty sure if Unity one day brings their own solution it would look very similar to this idea.

What do you think about this?

24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@CaptainExtra300: Thanks for your advice! I believe you are right, extra features would drive extra sales, but I don't agree with your example with Unity. They actually ask you to pay extra money if you want to upgrade to a newer version, as it also happens with any commercial software package and it's a common practice. If I bump up the price for a feature so big that it doubles the size of the initial code I it think would be fine. And it wouldn't affect any of the existing owners, which I see as a reward for those who decided to buy this in earlier stages.

Another point is that initially Script Inspector was priced to match its usefulness as a viewer only. To be honest I started this only as an exercise to familiarize myself with Unity and I didn't even dream it would become that popular! Currently it's the fifth top paid asset in Editor Extensions and it's just about to show up in the top ten list on the main Asset Store page :cool: But still the income generated since the beginning can hardly cover costs of production of only a couple of days, while it took about two months of my spare time so far for programming it since it's all being made from scratch. Just compare that with some of those assets that port a cool open source project into Unity (for which one wouldn't spend more than a week to wrap it up) and still sell for hundred bucks and top the Top Grossing charts on Asset Store!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  25. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Now, that would be my wet dream cum' true!
    If only you would support ALL the text file formats (or the very least .txt) to come with it I would marry this thing! :D

26. nuverian

nuverian

I think it's a freaking great idea. I wish you the best. A code editor inside Unity indeed can have a lot of inovating ideas and interesting workflows.

27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, I see, I forgot F3 and Shift-F3 for navigating through search results.

I'll also add my favorite custom shortcuts in Visual Studio, Edit.FindNextSelected and Edit.FindPreviousSelected, by default mapped on Ctrl+F3 and Shift+Ctrl+F3, but I keep them remapped on Ctrl+Down and Ctrl+Up. In Script Inspector these will be Shift+Ctrl+Down and Shift+Ctrl+Up. :cool:

28. nuverian

nuverian

maybe add Shift+Del like in sublime which cuts the whole line the cursor is at (included indended spaces). To me that is very handy..The rest seem prety fine to me. I can't think of anything else right now cosidering editing controls. But if you are asking in genral, how about auto closeing "", (), {} ? meaning that if I enter a "(", it auto enters a ")" for example.
    Good job on getting what you mentioned allready in 1.4 :)

29. crafTDev

crafTDev

Bought it on sale :-D

Looking forward to the script editor. I would like auto indentation too as well as what nuverian said above me...

30. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Shift+Del sounds cool and easy, just a couple of lines to implement that, either as built-in functionality or as an add-on through the API.

This would have to be context aware I guess, which is not so trivial unless it goes through the API which I was planning, taking the advantage of the context within the syntax tree where those are typed. For that and for things like code navigation or code folding for example I'd have to change the parser and make it recognize and output more details about the code. Sounds like quite a lot of work, but also a lot of fun, and it is a must have feature for a rock solid API. So, it may take some time, but I hope we'll get there too. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  31. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Auto indentation is a must have feature and it will be part of the basic editor in version 2.0. ;)

32. Novack

Novack

Got SriptInspector during the madness, and besides being a very cool tool, Im looking forward to see the editor working.
    Regarding this, or more precisely, code navigation (which is not necesarily for the editor release), I would like ScriptInspector to have CTRL+Click over classes and method calls, to be moved to its declaration. This is a feature MonoDevelop does not include, but highly estimated in other IDEs.

Also, have you considered adding a new Window for the scriptInspector? Unity wont allow to have two inspector windows, SO I have to choose between having the usual object inspection on the proper place, or having script Inspector on a batter place.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

PS: Maintaining a text editor can be a lot of work, consider using something as scintilla for the editor codebase, it already solves much of what you are planning.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  33. Novack

Novack

On a side note, since installed Script Inspector, I've having lock file errors on MonoDevelop.

34. DougMcFarlane

DougMcFarlane

Interesting, I was getting locked file errors too, and I have the Script Inspector installed.
    I would only get the error if I had the script selected in Unity, otherwise no problem.

Being new to Unity, at the time I didn't know what was causing the error.
    I've started using VS, and can't remember if I had that error since.

35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, that must be my fault, sorry! I'll check ASAP. Thanks!

36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

OK, I found the problem, an easy repro (which is: save a script with compile errors -> double click that script in Unity to open it in the external editor -> try to save it from there -> boom), and the fix is to add this function to ScriptInspector class in ScriptInspector.cs:
    Code (csharp):
    1.     private void OnDisable()
    2.     {
    3.         if (streamReader != null)
    4.         {
    5.             streamReader.Close();
    6.             streamReader.Dispose();
    7.             streamReader = null;
    8.         }
    9.     }
    I'll include this in the new 1.4 version which I'm planning to submit for review by tomorrow.

Thanks Novack and slydog for finding this!

37. Novack

Novack

That was quick! thanks for the fix :)

38. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Awesome! What's new in v1.4? Do we get the editing feature?
    More importantly, do we get .txt file support? :D

39. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah, not yet, the editing feature comes next with 2.0, which is not too far from 1.4 as this version has all the fancy cursor navigation with keyboard and mouse and fully working text selection, which is needed for the editor. All that would be still missing for the editing feature is the ability to type on the keyboard and replace the selection with those characters, right? Well, not really, as you'd also need delete, cut, paste, moving the selection with mouse drag and drop, undo/redo, save and save as, increase/decrease indentation on Tab key, automatic indentation, and recoloring as you type...

There will be no .txt support in 1.4, but tell me, what would you exactly expect from that feature? I was thinking recently that having a separate Text Inspector extension would make much more sense in Unity than bundling it with the Script Inspector, because in Unity TextAsset and MonoScript are two different asset types that require two different custom inspectors. In theory, one might choose to use my Script Inspector and a text inspector from someone else, and that wouldn't be possible if these two are bundled into one single extension.

40. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I see, I just thought it would be easy to include .txt file support. Basically, all I want is to be able to quickly inspect the content of .txt file (eg. Readme files) that's included with every extensions without having to load it externally like through monodevelop (slow on my laptop) that's all.

41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, it isn't easy like just one single line of code, but it is fairly easy and it would take me a few hours to do that, so I'll try to release that as a separate editor extension I guess right after I submit 1.4 tonight.

42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I've submitted it yesterday :)

43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks Novack for all your comments and suggestions!

Once I get the code navigation working extending it with Ctrl+Click is just a matter or of adding a few lines of code. The only problem is that code navigation seems not so easy to implement from scratch, although I haven't looked at that seriously yet. I hope there is some library already to help with that, Reflection perhaps or maybe Mono libraries.

Yes, I plan to add a new dedicated window for code editing. That needs a little bit of refactoring in my code, but I have to that anyway. Btw, you can have multiple Inspector windows showing different assets at the same time, just add more Inspector tabs from any tab context menu Add New->Inspector, and then lock the Inspector with the lock icon in the upper right corner. ;)

I know about Scintilla, but I thought porting that to Unity might be more complicated than implementing something similar from scratch. As I progress more and more this may prove to be wrong assumption :p

44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Script Inspector 1.4 is available for download from the Asset Store now, and it's also featured on the Home Page :cool:

Enjoy, and let me know what you think about this now... :)

45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

EDIT: OK, price is $5 again now! :) Enjoy!

Oh, hold on a little bit with the new purchases! The price went back to $10 by mistake and now it shows 0% Off! :S I'm very sorry about that, I requested now to be set to $5 again until the end of the Madness, and I hope the price update will happen really soon.

And one purchase so far happened with that 0% off price, so I would like to ask the person who did that to PM me for his refund! Please!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Last day of the Asset Store Madness! Hurry up ;)

47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I didn't hear any comments regarding the last update, so I guess you are all busy playing with the new features added in Script Inspector 1.4 :p Anyway, I would appreciate your feedback :)

48. nuverian

nuverian

I think that selection and cursor movement is as expected. Nice job and start for the 2.0 version :)

49. Yann

Yann

@Flipbookee : congrats on the new release ! It's very encouraging to see it evolve into a more and more mature tool. I have just experienced my 4th or 5th MonoDevelop's crazy behavior of the day, so I'm following your product with great interest...

50. blaze

blaze

Monodevelop is a shot in the foot. I stopped working in my Macbook because of it.
    Now I'm programming in my Desktop PC, using que awesome Visual Studio 2010. It is perfect!

Try using Sublime Text 2 instead of MonoDevelop, it may help alot.