Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Novack

Novack

@Flipbookee I was noting that the magic methods wont work when the method is already present (which is good and logic). Today, however, it seemed to me like a bug -"this method is not covered?"-, because the method was present but buried in a long file.

Could it be that it still offers the option, but moves to the position of the actual method?

Flipbookee likes this.
  2. SarperS

SarperS

@Novack Educate your clients man, Asset Server, yuck :D I use BitBucket based git repo's. They are free and unlimited in private repo count, love it.

Flipbookee likes this.
  3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

That's an interesting idea! I'll have to think about that though and see if there will be any cases where that wouldn't work... Can't think of any such cases right now, but it's been a long day so I'll leave that for tomorrow ;)

Thanks for the idea! :)

Novack likes this.
  4. SarperS

SarperS

Flipbookee likes this.
  5. ababab5

ababab5

Hi,

I just bought it, and it's nice: thanks!

But I have some issue with usual shortcuts :

cmd + d on mac open the definition of the function / variable => doesn't work.

cmd + Z for undo doesn't work and do the undo on the scene.

Thanks for your help !

Flipbookee likes this.
  6. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @ababab5, thanks man! :)

On OS X the shortcut for Go To Definition is Cmd-Y. Cmd-D is assigned to the Duplicate command which duplicates the current line or multiple selected lines at once.

Unity extensions are unfortunately not allowed to override some Unity shortcuts, and Cmd-Z and Cmd-S are one of these, so in Si3 by default Undo is on Ctrl-Z and Save is Ctrl-S... That's by default, but @inventor2010 has made an amazing plugin for Si3 that fixes that! This is a native plugin and you'll need either Unity 4 Pro or Unity 5 Professional or Personal edition for a native plugin to work.

You can take @inventor2010's plugin from here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/script-inspector-3.195218/page-13#post-2226154
    (and "like" that post if it work for you ;))

Thanks!!! :D

7. ababab5

ababab5

Thanks for your quick reply.

In fact I bought it before of all to increase the script "recompiling" after edition.

Maybe I make a mistake, but there is no impact on it. Right ?

Thanks !

8. SarperS

SarperS

Si3 does not come with a custom compiler, so the compile times are the same. It saves you from switching apps though every time you need to compile your code, which is a plus. But in all honesty Unity takes a couple seconds to compile the scripts in an average project, it doesn't get any better than that unless you move to a non-compiled (interpreted) script environment.

Flipbookee likes this.
  9. ababab5

ababab5

That's the point : I have a mac pro quad core 3,7GHZ with 32GO RAM and ... it take 2 or 3 minutes :(

10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @ababab5, Si3 has nothing to do with compile times and it can not help to make your project compile faster. It will also not make your project compile slower because it's located in the Plugins/Editor folder. Your changes to game scripts will not trigger Si3 code to recompile unless you are modifying scripts located in Plugins or StandardAssets folders, but even then it will only add a few seconds on the total compile time.

I guess when you say "recompiling" you mean the compile time in Editor, right? So then 2 to 3 minutes sounds like quite a lot! It almost sounds like you are creating a build, aren't you? If you are talking about a build then no, Si3 is purely Editor script and it doesn't get included or compiled to standalone builds or builds for a device. That's something totally different and it takes time not only because of the compile time but also because of checking dependencies, bundling all the resources, re-scaling textures, changing the compression to device specific formats, and what not...

In order to decrease your project compile time you may want to look at other options. One of them would be to try to move 3rd party scripts to StandardAssets or to Plugins folders, this will reduce your compile time. Another way would be to get rid of all JS and Boo scripts if you can, that will reduce the number of assemblies Unity needs to compile so it will works faster overall.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    ababab5 and Novack like this.
  11. ababab5

ababab5

Hi,

Thanks, I already do that.

Thanks a lot.

But I didn't need so far your asset, sorry for that. Is it possible to return the purchase ?

Thanks again.

12. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@ababab5 yes, please contact the Asset Store with a link to this post and tell them you want a refund. Let me know if that doesn't work, then I'll try to help with that too. :)

13. ababab5

ababab5

It's done, I will let you know.

Thanks !

14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well yes, I still have R# only because I don't use VS except for debugging. Coding on my tiny laptop is incredibly slow with it. I can type like 5-6 letters and then the first one would show up, and I'm not that fast in typing :p... Other than that the features are nice... Thanks for the link! :)

15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

R# reminds me of Android. Android devs should not be allowed to use iPhones - they should be forced to use only Android phones and suffer from their own slow software and walk around with a battery charger everywhere they go. Then I guess they'll fix it :D they'll have no choice... Same for R# devs, they should be forced to develop it while they are using it on a min-spec machine :p... Also same for Si3 - imagine if I would have it made on a ultra-fast super machine - you would need the same setup to run it ;)

16. ababab5

ababab5

Unity team tell me to to ask you for the refund.
    Sorry for that.

What's your email please? I will send you the invoice.

Thanks a lot again and sorry for that.

Best regards,

AB

17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@ababab5, The Asset Store is the one who is managing the licenses, invoices and billing, not me. If you get a refund you'll have to return your license, and you can only return it to the Asset Store. Also the money you've paid is not with me but it's with them. I am the developer of the asset but they are the ones who are selling it, so you will have to get the refund from them... I hope that makes sense?

Please write them another email and CC me as well, I will support your claim, but I can't promise anything because this is something only the Asset Store team can deal with. They have their own rules and policies and we can't change that, but we can try something together and I hope it will work... My email is info at flipbookgames.com.

18. SarperS

SarperS

@ababab5

Let the flame wars begin. I have an android phone, rooted, optimized and it can beat any ultra expensive and fragile iPhone both battery life wise and performance wise. At least I can change my battery if it dies after some years ;) Seriously though, what developer defends the close, over-priced, over-hyped platform of Apple?

ababab5 likes this.
  19. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

20. Novack

Novack

Could we have the individual stacktrace elements of the console, to open the file and line described?

Flipbookee likes this.
  21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

You mean like when you right-click a log entry in the SI Console and you see the full stack-trace? ;)

SarperS and Novack like this.
  22. Novack

Novack

Holy crap! Yes, precisely that. Thanks for the reminder!

I had forgotten of it, and crossed recently with an extension that allows to dblclick the stack trace elements for opening, and thought "well, this is what we need in Si..." :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  23. SarperS

SarperS

I didn't know about this either, super cool. Si3 needs tutorials or at least a features video, definitely something more than a text file.

Flipbookee likes this.
  24. Novack

Novack

Something that gets in the middle (and that may be part of your work if you're working with Find&Replace), is that the search box counter, does not gets updated as the code is modified.

Flipbookee likes this.
  25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well yeah :p this is because it was much simpler to do that than to rerun the search after every change. A found result may get deleted, a new result may appear... Which is not impossible but it needs to be optimized to only consider the modified part.

Do you talk about the search field in the top right? Both search results in the current file and Find Results from a Find in Files don't update the count, but the Find Results list gets updated if lines are inserted or deleted above a result - you can notice how line numbers change in the list. :)

Novack likes this.
  26. SarperS

SarperS

Another thing about local search that bothers me is, upon pressing enter to search, caret focuses to the first found match. So I have to use F3 to cycle through other matches which is not natural in my opinion. I end up pressing enter and creating a line every time I do a search. I think the focus should remain on the search field.

P.S. Functionality is already there, how about putting an option in the settings like "Search -> Focus to first match"

Novack and Flipbookee like this.
  27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Sarper Soher, yes I was planning to change that actually and make it work similar to VS and MD. I thought it would be more natural to use the up and down arrow keys for that, but seems like people are not used to that :p

I use the search field very rarely - quick search does what I need in most cases (Shift+Ctrl+Down/Up). This selects the word at cursor and finds the next or previous occurrence instantly :D

Novack likes this.
  28. Novack

Novack

:(
    Didnt thought it was a whole rerun of the search that was required. I think in MD it does something else, because its too fast. Like a buffer list of all tokens found, and that may be the only thing you really need to loop through?

EDIT: speaking of course, about removing tokens (lowering the number), not adding, which is a case -I think- would be more natural for the user to search again.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Flipbookee likes this.
  29. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Novack Yes, that's how it is in Si3 as well - there's a list of found matches ordered by position in file. After each edit I can do a binary search, remove only affected matches and then insert the new ones. ;)

Something else that I wanted to add is to have markers on the scrollbar showing an overview of where the matches appear :cool:... And then in the same spirit show highlighted references :) and then errors and change tracking markers :D

Novack likes this.
  30. Novack

Novack

That would be awesome!

How the video goes?

Another thing that has not being mentioned in a while is code folding. Are you considering it?

Flipbookee likes this.
  31. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Done, and this is the YouTube version of it:

Likes and shares are highly appreciated! :)

32. Korindian

Korindian

Awesome job with SI3! It feels very fluid.

Some things I would love to see:
    • Rename - probably the feature I use most often in VS as I'm always changing names
    • Find Text dialogue - be able to choose the folder to search in, as some times I'm looking for something but don't want to see the results from 3rd party assets.
    • Some sort of interface to customize existing themes or save new ones outside of SI3 so they don't get overwritten on updates. Also would be nice to change the color of punctuation like periods.
    • More complete highlighting for Shaders, possibly even JSON?
    • Not sure if this is possible in the editor, but a minimap scrollbar would be pretty cool.
    I know this is a lot, but since there are many free IDE alternatives like VS2015 Community, Code, etc., and this is a paid product, I figure there's no harm in at least asking :)

One more thing, I'm on dual screens, and if all SI3 tabs are closed, and I double click a script, it keeps opening on the right screen whereas I want it on the left. I can move a SI3 tab to the left screen and dock it, drag other scripts to the window to have them open next to the existing one, and when I double click new scripts, it opens on the left just fine. But once I close all SI3 tabs, and again double click a script, it opens on the right side next to some other non SI3 tabs. Any ideas?

Really amazing what you've done so far.

Flipbookee likes this.
  33. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Korindian This is how I read your post:
    Just kidding, hehe :p Thanks man! :cool:

I'll check the dual screen issue! Thanks for the report!

No harm for asking at all! Si3 features are like 95% community driven ;)

Rename is the feature I miss the most now and it's at the top on my TODO list. Currently it's only blocked by the "Find all References" that will be coming really soon...

Filtering by folders in the Find Text dialog is an easy thing to do - will be added! Improvements to themes customizations are also planned. Punctuators and operators can have their own color defined in themes, although the same color is shared for both. Would you like to set a different color for the periods only?

Yeah, shaders and UnityScript need better support, and it would be also nice to have json, xml, yaml, maybe even xaml... We'll get there one day as well ;)

Minimap scrollbar is also on my TODO list. If you reduce the font size to the minimum in Si3 you'll see how that may look like and I'll probably use that same method but I have to do that in a more optimal way - drawing that much text every frame may hurt Si3 performance, so some sort of caching in a render texture with partial updates needs to be implemented.

Korindian and Novack like this.
  34. SarperS

SarperS

This happens due to the way Unity's layout system works. I hated this too so I managed to find a way to fix this. Open and position your Si3 window where you want it to appear in the future. Save your Unity layout. Then from the layout drop-down, select another layout and come back to the saved layout. Now Si3 should open in the last saved position all the time.

Korindian, Novack and Flipbookee like this.
  35. SarperS

SarperS

That's cool but needs some description throughout the video in my opinion. It would be great if you could describe what you are doing each step. Voice-over would be cool but subtitles would also do I guess.
    Also showing the pressed keys on the video would be great, there are capturing software which does that automatically (screenflick in osx both captures desktop and shows input, for windows you can use a tiny portable app called ShowOff and capture the video with another software http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html#ShowOff).

Below is a nice features overview video

Novack and Flipbookee like this.
  36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Nice! I should have used that as reference :-\

37. Korindian

Korindian

No, just having a general punctuation option separate from operators like VS2015 has would be enough. By the way, thanks for including many different options for syntax highlighting. I wasted so much time looking for an extension for method highlighting in VS for so long. I finally found one recently called Codinion that had the options I wanted. Yours comes straight out of the box.

Btw is there an option to choose how many lines are scrolled per mouse wheel movement? Or is it that dependent on Unity editor windows?

Thanks, I tried your suggestion, and it works as long as one SI3 tab is still open, but once I close all tabs, it keeps going back to the other screen. There are certain scripts I keep "pinned" anyway, so it's not going to be too much of a problem.

Flipbookee likes this.
  38. SarperS

SarperS

Hmm, strange, works for me indefinitely. Was the Si3 window in full screen mode when you tried saving the layout? It defaults back to the windowed mode every time you open it, that may be why it's resetting back to your default monitor. You may try saving the layout while it's in windowed mode but manually stretched to cover the external monitor.

39. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Korindian and @Sarper Soher, this may depend on which of the two monitors is set as primary and which one is the secondary. When the secondary one is on the left hand side of the primary, the screen coordinates coordinates in Windows get negative values, and this is often messing up applications which don't take that into account. @Korindian, what's your setup?

40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Korindian, I see, adding different styles for punctuators and operators shouldn't be too difficult. I'll check that...

I guess adding an option to set how fast the mouse wheel will scroll is an easy one too, so I'll add that as well!

41. Korindian

Korindian

The primary monitor (monitor #1) is on the left. I thought taking a screenshot would be much better than trying to describe it.

As you can hopefully see, I'd like to open the scripts on the left side docked next to the scene and game views, exactly where the readme tab is open. When I double-click a script in the project tab, it keeps opening on the right side docked next to the Animator tab, where the "AboutScriptInspector" tab is open (I left it there as an example).

At first I thought it was opening in the same window as the Project tab, but even when I dock the project tab to the left screen, scripts still open on the right side.

If I drag a script to the readme tab on the left side, any additional script I double click on will open on the left side correctly. However, if all SI3 tabs are then closed, and I double click a script, it will again open on the right side.

It gets even stranger. Let's say I double click a script and it opens docked on the right side. I undock it and move it as its own window somewhere on the left screen. Now if I close it and open a new script, it will open as a free window exactly where the previous one was. But if I then dock it on the left side, then close the tab, and open a new script, it ends up going to the right side again. Pretty weird.

Flipbookee likes this.
  42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Korindian, okay I see! Thanks for the detailed explanation, I'll investigate ;)

43. Korindian

Korindian

@Flipbookee Saw a tweet earlier today from @willgoldstone that Unity is looking to hire a Scripting Code Editor Developer.

Job Listing

I think SI3 already fits the bill perfectly. Might want to contact them if you're interested? Just thought I'd pass the info along just in case.

Flipbookee and Novack like this.
  44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

He he, thanks @Korindian! ;)

I tried to repro the issue you described - no luck so far... I'll try some more

45. Novack

Novack

For some reason, the bracket matching highlight, does not work with the methods brackets.

Flipbookee likes this.
  46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah yes, that was an experiment which didn't work - I'll revert it now! Thanks man! :)

Novack likes this.
  47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thomas, Kent, & Taz - Thank you for those awesome reviews! :D :D :D

Looking forward to seeing you join this conversation :)

48. fairtree

fairtree

Hi,
    I bought your asset more than two years ago and just tried it again, what a huge improvment.
    You re doing a great job.
    The only thing I miss is to have the list of functions and variables sorted by functions, or the possibility to have it.
    Would be so much easier to find a function.
    Take care.

Flipbookee likes this.
  49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @fairtree! :D

Adding that option should be a very easy thing to do. It has been requested even before by someone, but I forgot to add it - thanks for reminding me about that :)

50. kharrison

kharrison

I just purchased Script Inspector 3 and it seems like a great addition to Unity, but I've encountered a deal breaker for me that I hope is just a configuration issue. I'm on a Mac and cmd-s, cmd-z, cmd-shift-z and f12 keys don't save, undo, redo and jump to definition. So far the only way I see to use these functions is to click on the icons at the top of the window.

Also, I can't find any documentation with keyboard shortcuts. Is there a link I'm missing?