Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SarperS

SarperS

I was meaning to ask, do you have any planned features for shader file types? I think that is an area which gets the least amount of much required love in general. Yes there are visual node based shader editors but I prefer typing in my shaders and CG auto completion would be awesome for example.

Flipbookee likes this.
  2. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, this is what I suggested to the beta group some long time ago as a first stage after C# but they seemed to be more interested in getting support for UnityScript first... Both options are still in game - UnityScript is a .Net based language and there's already a lot of support in Si3 for that, while ShaderLab and CG are much simpler but unrelated to .Net... So I'd love to hear what people prefer more?

3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

YAY!!! Si3 just got its 35th 5-star review! :D

Thank you guys! A well earned reward is on the way - auto-generating magic methods and bug fixes :cool:

SarperS and Novack like this.
  4. SarperS

SarperS

Si3 deserves more. Are there any tutorials containing information on how to extend Si3? Like adding snippets, new fonts, color schemes, even more languages maybe?

Flipbookee likes this.
  5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey guys, this is just too cool!!! I'll just leave it here for you to admire it until I finish it :D

MonoBehaviourMagicMethods.gif

Tonight... ;)

charmandermon and Novack like this.
  6. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe, it certainly does ;) so I think I'll have to add a "rate and post a review to get your free update" button soon :p

Adding fonts and color themes is easy and I'm sure you'll figure that out if you take a look at the FGTextEditor class. @Adam Buckner posted somewhere in the first few pages of this thread how to add your own themes, and that's still valid more or less... I should look at these and maybe make that a little more obvious how it needs to be done.

I'll have to describe the process of writing snippets once the interfaces are finalized... Adding snippets is actually very simple! Take a look at the existing snippets in the CodeSnippets folder... But adding new languages is not nearly as simple as that. That might be challenging even for me :p

7. SarperS

SarperS

I actually added my own fonts and color themes very easily, code base is really clean and easy to understand for such things, but the point is, I think having some official tutorials -text or video- would help market the product. And would also great to see how you do such things so I don't feel like I'm "hacking" it.

Also it sucks to lose custom changes each update, adding fonts and color themes could be simpler maybe? Like through GUI. I don't know, it's not urgent or required at all, but a "nice to have" feature.

About the Monobehaviour method snippets you've shown on the gif, can you make it so that those comments are optional :) I'll just remove them from the snippets I guess :)

It's great to see you are constantly improving the IDE, again, I sincerely think Unity should hire you and give a team to you to integrate Si3 as the official IDE like they did with NGUI->Unity GUI, as a module.

Flipbookee likes this.
  8. Novack

Novack

Oh Jeeez those "magic-methods" looks awesome!

Flipbookee likes this.
  9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, I finished version 3.0.4 and it works perfectly on Windows but not on OS X, yet... This should be fixed later today... I'll let you know ;)

10. SarperS

SarperS

@Flipbookee do you have any plans to add refactoring options down the line? Like "extract method/local variable/class etc.", "move method/variable/class etc.", rename(solution-wide)

When you are done with the debugger, unityscript and shaderlab & CG support, snippets, advanced text editing like multi-caret, column selection etc., and maybe even some refactoring options this IDE will be able to go head to head with Visual Studio + Resharper. Which is a huge feat even for a team and you are doing this all by yourself.

Maybe you should open up a public roadmap in something like trello or any other similar tool, I would be very interested to follow it.

I'm using Si3 more and more everyday and spending less time in VS. Updated my asset store review accordingly too.

charmandermon, Flipbookee and Novack like this.
  11. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

and... Script Inspector 3 version 3.0.4 is alive now on Asset Store! :D
    • Smart code snippets for generating magic methods for MonoBehaviour, Editor, EditorWindow, AssetPostprocessor, ScriptableWizard, and ScriptableObject classes
    • All Si3 related main menu commands are now in a single place under Window->Script Inspector 3
    • Tab switcher is now accessible from any Si3 window
    • Script Inspector page in Preferences is directly accessible from menus
    • Support for Unity's built-in version control integrations!!!
    • Fixed keyboard shortcut for Find in Files on OS X
    • Fixed read/write reference highlighting
    • Fixed generic types inference in extension methods
    Enjoy!!! :cool:

UnLogick, SarperS and Novack like this.
  12. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Sarper Soher, making the comments optional for magic methods was a great suggestion and easy to add, so that's now in 3.0.4 :), check in Si3 preferences. Placement of the opening curly brace is also configurable there, which is temporary think until we get the auto-formatting feature in Si3 - then that option will come from those settings.

Thanks for updating your review! :D

Cool that you've added your own color theme and font! Screenshots? If it's something cool then it has to be shared and included in Si3 by default... I've been planning to make adding themes and fonts a bit easier and also upgradable so that my updates wouldn't overwrite your customizations. This shouldn't be too hard, so maybe in the next version ;)

Novack likes this.
  13. Novack

Novack

Hey @Flipbookee , 3.0.4 looks pretty awesome. The granularity of the options, is fantastic (like the detail of the opening curly brace you mentioned).

I have some suggestions/requests for the intellisense.

First, when the automcomplete list is displayed, could it be affected by the "neutral colors" option? I use monokai, and the list gets indistinguishable from the background, what forces my sight a bit.

And also, as I go up and down the elements of the intellisense list, would be possible to display the popup hint for the currently focused element on the list? This way, it also works like a quick but important reference, specially if you are going to add the Unity reference (and MS C# language reference? ;-) ) to the hints.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Flipbookee likes this.
  14. SarperS

SarperS

Sure, below screenshot is "Visual Studio Dark with Resharper 9.1". Also note that the font is Consolas. I don't think you can distribute it with Si3, afaik it's a commercial font that comes with some Microsoft applications like VS.

Below are the values;

Code (CSharp):
    1.         // Visual Studio Dark with Resharper 9.1
    2.         new Theme {
    3.             background = new Color32(0x1E, 0x1E, 0x1E, 0xFF),
    4.             text = new Color32(0xDC, 0xDC, 0xDC, 0XFF),
    5.             hyperlinks = new Color32(0x00, 0x00, 0xFF, 0xFF),
    7.             keywords = new Color32(0x56, 0x9C, 0xD6, 0xFF),
    8.             constants = new Color32(0xB5, 0xCE, 0xA8, 0xFF),
    9.             strings = new Color32(0xD6, 0x9D, 0x85, 0xFF),
    10.             builtInLiterals = new Color32(0xDA, 0xDA, 0xDA, 0xFF),
    11.             operators = new Color32(0xB4, 0xB4, 0xB4, 0xFF),
    13.             referenceTypes = new Color32(0xAD, 0xD8, 0xE6, 0xFF),
    14.             valueTypes = new Color32(0xAD, 0xD8, 0xE6, 0xFF),
    15.             interfaceTypes = new Color32(0xAD, 0xD8, 0xE6, 0xFF),
    16.             enumTypes = new Color32(0xAD, 0xD8, 0xE6, 0xFF),
    17.             delegateTypes = new Color32(0xAD, 0xD8, 0xE6, 0xFF),
    18.             builtInTypes = new Color32(0xAD, 0xD8, 0xE6, 0xFF),
    20.             namespaces = new Color32(0xAD, 0xD8, 0xE6, 0xFF),
    21.             methods = new Color32(0x00, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF),
    22.             fields = new Color32(0xEE, 0x82, 0xEE, 0xFF),
    23.             properties = new Color32(0xEE, 0x82, 0xEE, 0xFF),
    24.             events = new Color32(0xDD, 0xA0, 0xDD, 0xFF),
    26.             parameters = new Color32(0xDC, 0xDC, 0xDC, 0xFF),
    27.             variables = new Color32(0xDC, 0xDC, 0xDC, 0xFF),
    28.             typeParameters = new Color32(0xAD, 0xD8, 0xE6, 0xFF),
    29.             enumMembers = new Color32(0xEE, 0x82, 0xEE, 0xFF),
    31.             preprocessor = new Color32(0xDC, 0xDC, 0xDC, 0xFF),
    32.             defineSymbols = new Color32(0xDA, 0xDA, 0xDA, 0xFF),
    33.             inactiveCode = new Color32(0x93, 0xA1, 0xA1, 0xFF),
    34.             comments = new Color32(0x57, 0xA6, 0x4A, 0xFF),
    35.             xmlDocs = new Color32(0x00, 0x64, 0x00, 0xFF),
    36.             xmlDocsTags = new Color32(0x00, 0x64, 0x00, 0xFF),
    38.             lineNumbers = new Color32(0x2B, 0x91, 0xAF, 0xFF),
    39.             lineNumbersHighlight = new Color32(0x58, 0x6E, 0x75, 0xFF),
    40.             lineNumbersBackground = new Color32(0x1E, 0x1E, 0x1E, 0xFF),
    41.             fold = new Color32(0xDC, 0xDC, 0xDC, 0xFF),
    43.             activeSelection = new Color32(0x33, 0x99, 0xFF, 102),
    44.             passiveSelection = new Color32(0x33, 0x99, 0xFF, 102),
    45.             searchResults = new Color32(0xEE, 0xE8, 0xD5, 0xFF),
    47.             trackSaved = new Color32(0x71, 0x9A, 0x07, 0xFF),
    48.             trackChanged = new Color32(0xB5, 0x89, 0x00, 0xFF),
    49.             trackReverted = new Color32(95, 149, 250, 255),
    51.             currentLine = new Color32(0x0F, 0x0F, 0x0F, 0xFF),
    52.             currentLineInactive = new Color32(0x24, 0x24, 0x24, 0xFF),
    54.             referenceHighlight = new Color32(0x87, 0xCE, 0xFA, 102),
    55.             referenceModifyHighlight = new Color32(0xFF, 0xB6, 0xC1, 102),
    57.             tooltipBackground = new Color32(0xEE, 0xE8, 0xD5, 0xFF),
    58.             tooltipText = new Color32(0x58, 0x6E, 0x75, 0XFF),
    59.             tooltipFrame = new Color32(0x83, 0x94, 0x96, 0xFF),
    60.         },

Novack likes this.
  15. Novack

Novack

Inconsolata is a nice option, created precisely for that reason, and is included with Si.

Flipbookee likes this.
  16. SarperS

SarperS

I know, I still like Consolas better though, that's why I've added it to my Si3. Tried to mimic my current Visual Studio look as close as I possibly could.

@Flipbookee You know what would be really cool? A *.vssettings parser for Si3! Then people could just import any color scheme from https://studiostyl.es/ with a single click!

Flipbookee and Novack like this.
  17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yep, that would be awesome! :) I started working on that once but I never finished it... I think I still have that code somewhere, I'll try to find it.

SarperS likes this.
  18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

19. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, that was totally unexpected although I was secretly hoping for that :p

Si3 was first released right on the last day for Unity Awards submissions, and I had no promo materials prepared for that. I made something really quickly, something that doesn't look anyhow special, assuming it will be just tossed away by the judges... :) Apparently I was wrong :D

Novack likes this.
  20. SarperS

SarperS

Voted on both categories, wish you the best of luck!

Flipbookee likes this.
  21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks man!!! But... Both categories? Is it nominated in 2 categories? :confused:

22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, I see! Community Choice category :D

Cool! I didn't even notice that one! :cool:

I'm impressed!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, I think I didn't get that, all the finalist are also included in the Community Choice category :p

Did you see all those beautiful videos? So many creative games, I just want to play them all!!! :D

Did you see those other finalists assets? Tough competition and interesting assets, I must admit! Their videos are so much super-pro, mine looks so embarrassingly bad compared to theirs :p I was asked to send a nice video to be shown at the awards ceremony, and I have about a week to do that... But, as you all know, my artistic skills are no skills actually! I guess I'll fail at that too :p

I got also officially invited to attend the ceremony! YAY! :cool: Two members of "my team" can attend the conference for free, but I'm only one... My team is you guys - a little army of supporters with the greatest ideas about how to improve Si3! :D Some of you have helped me track down unsolvable issues, some of you have found solutions, and some of you have even written pieces of code to extend Si3's functionality! :cool: Team Si3 is an amazing team indeed! :) I wish I could send you all there instead of me (I can't go, I have Glossophobia ;))... So I'd only want to say: Congrats Team and Good Luck ;)

Novack likes this.
  24. SarperS

SarperS

Dude, this is an amazing opportunity for both beating your phobia and getting yourself out there. Imagine how that would increase the sales too for Si3 and your future products. You would get to meet Unity guys too and who knows what would happen. When is the ceremony? You made a product and now it's opening some doors for you, if I were you I would look into ways to beat the phobia, see a psychologist, take a short class etc.

Novack likes this.
  25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe, it's not like I have a real phobia, that was supposed to be a joke :p... I would probably feel uncomfortable in front of so many people all looking at me, but who knows, maybe I'll like that :) And it's not like everyone gets to go out on stage and say something, only the winners do.

Anyway, I should get back to work maybe... I mean if everything was fine with 3.0.4? Next is partial classes and operators handling. I have to complete the semantic analysis in order to get find all references, renaming symbols and other refactorings :cool:

Novack likes this.
  26. Novack

Novack

Not sure you noted my post here.

27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Whoops, I totally missed a couple of posts above in all the euphoria ;)

Thanks for your feedback! Hints on side are easy, I'll check that and the colors issue.

@Sarper Soher, I've tried Consolas some long time ago but it didn't look nicely in Unity. Maybe things have changed since then, so I'll check again. Right, I'm not going to be able to distribute Consolas with Si3, but I can add an option to use it directly from your system fonts ;)

28. SarperS

SarperS

Oh, who doesn't. What works for me is, I only talk about what I know really well and have prepared thoroughly beforehand. Once I get through the first 10 minutes, the rest is incredibly fun, especially Q&A. At least it was my experience in a couple of universities I got on stage as a guest speaker.

Consolas still looks like S*** mostly, don't bother adding it I would say. It's made for using with ClearType I guess so that figures. Size 11 in Smooth rendering mode doesn't look all that bad though, you can see it in my screenshot in the above post.

Next batch of planned updates sound very exciting. But I can't help myself insisting on shaderlab and cg support. That would be huge. Any plans to keep a public roadmap so I can stop nagging your ears off about features?

Flipbookee likes this.
  29. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Sarper Soher, I see, not too bad but I like DejaVu more ;)

Looking at that code I got an idea - auto-generating caching fields and methods for required components :cool: - I may try that... Which means there's no roadmap, plans change quickly and nagging consistently is the only way to influence those plans :p Either that or you should come up with an effective idea that wouldn't require too much time to be implemented ;) like those ReSharper auto generated properties for example... But yeah, I'm also looking forward to having an intelligent buddy under my fingers that writes shaders with me :cool:

SarperS likes this.
  30. Negue

Negue

First of all...... this asset is a must-have, saves a lot of my time^^ so thanks !

Was a good decision to buy it :D

Could you maybe add an option to use spaces instead of a tab ( \t )?

Flipbookee likes this.
  31. SarperS

SarperS

Not sure if it's a bug but the files types set to open with Si3 open just fine with mouse, you know double clicking on them. But when I use the "enter" key in Windows to open a file, the file opens in the external IDE.

Flipbookee likes this.
  32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @Negue! I'm glad to hear that :D

Yep, I can add the option to insert spaces instead of tabs (even though I'm all against using that option ;))...

33. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

This used to be intentional to allow opening files in the external IDE as an alternative over Si3, and this is how it works currently if the "Always open in Script Inspector" option is not enabled... Recently Ctrl/Cmd was added as a modifier to double-click action and that opens an asset in the "other" editor, so maybe it makes sense now to make Enter act same as double-click. I'll think about that...

SarperS likes this.
  34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Great news for today :D

Script Inspector 3 - version 3.0.5
    is alive on Asset Store now!

New in version 3.0.5:
    - Fixed finding full lines matching the search string in Find in Files
    - Fixed searching for TextAssets in Find in Files
    - Added search history to Find in Files window
    - Added auto-focus options to SI Console
    - New color theme: VS Dark with ReSharper (thanks @Sarper Soher!)
    - Xcode theme update to Xcode 5 (thanks @inventor2010!)

Please update as those fixes to Find in Files are kind of critical! Also don't forget to post or update your reviews (or at least give star rate) while you're on that page ;), but most importantly upvote the more recent reviews which are relevant to Si3 as well the updated older by Sarper Soher and Eric Turgott because currently all 3 most helpful reviews are the ones that show by default and they are all quite old and a little bit misleading... (but please don't downvote them ;) they are still amazing!)

Cool! Enjoy! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Adam-Buckner, SarperS and Novack like this.
  35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Novack, a forgotten Debug.Log slipped in somehow :p - please update again to version 3.0.5a ;)

SarperS likes this.
  36. Novack

Novack

o_Omh?

Flipbookee likes this.
  37. Novack

Novack

Ahhh much better color for the autocomplete, my eyes are very thankful :cool:

Flipbookee likes this.
  38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah yes, I've tweaked all color themes a little bit - forgot to mention that too ;)

Novack likes this.
  39. Novack

Novack

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. charmandermon

charmandermon

this is amazing finally a fix for unity not using proper overriding!

Flipbookee likes this.
  41. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I take a long holiday, and come back to a nice surprise!

Flipbookee likes this.
  42. Novack

Novack

I will ask (once more) for also a DLL version to be included.

At the moment Im working on a contract in which I cannot commit Si3 to the repo (for licensing issues, and also, would not be really nice on me to commit to the client repo a personal code/tool etc).

So if I want t use Si3, I need to accept the fact of the long list of files that it has, and everytime I need to commit changes, I need to pick carefully what are real changes, and which ones are files from ScriptInspector.

Flipbookee likes this.
  43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Novack, I see, that's a really good point... Let me investigate that option...

Novack likes this.
  44. Novack

Novack

Ok another option for the editor preferences: "Always place semicolon at the end of line".

45. UnLogick

UnLogick

@Novack and @Flipbookee.
    It's fairly trivial to do... Just make a clean project with only the script inspector in it... Open in VS and compile the first pass editor dll and copy that into your project. As long as the project doesn't have other standard assets or plugins that should only be Script Inspector and it should be automatically set up to be a platform independent IL dll.

Novack likes this.
  46. bocs

bocs

no clue if this will work, just an idea if you have the time/money to test...
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/40736

Novack likes this.
  47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yeah... Just compiling it to an assembly is not an issue, but there will be a couple of things that will not works out of the box. Code Snippets for example, Si3 scans and "keeps an eye" on changes in the CodeSnippets folder - on startup it loads all snippet templates and then whenever these change it does hot-reloading. Smart Code Snippets are also limited to only exist in the Assembly-CSharp-Editor-firstpass.dll, but that's easy to change as @UnLogick pointed out in the WIP thread. Besides that Si3 loads its resources (images and fonts) by looking into folders relative to its scripts location. And there's the readme.txt of course that would have to stay outside of the compiled dll...

One thing I'm not sure about is will it be possible to put Si3 resources inside the dll. Does anyone know how's that supposed to work in Unity?

48. SarperS

SarperS

Which VCS are you using? Git has .gitignore files, these text files where you can put extensions and directory names in and git will just ignore them. SVN has a "svn:ignore" property etc.

And if you are using a Mercury or a Git repo, you could use Sourcetree as your VCS client, it has global gitignore settings and it's generally the most superior GUI based vcs client I've seen. So I have only one gitignore file in my dropbox, shared by all my computers and Sourcetree is set to that file. Whenever I import something from the Asset Store for the first time, I add it to my list. Those assets are never sent to the repo in any of my computers, they don't even show up on commit list. Below is how it looks right now.

Code (CSharp):
    2. [Ll]ibrary/
    3. [Tt]emp/
    4. [Oo]bj/
    5. NGUI/
    6. RootMotion/
    7. TNet/
    8. uIntelliSense/
    9. Time of Day/
    10. Mega-Fiers/
    11. Universal Sound FX/
    12. UnityVS/
    13. Screenshots/
    14. JMO Assets/
    15. The combat collection PRO/
    16. Dungeon_Props/
    17. PigeonCoopToolkit/
    18. Illogika/
    19. ScriptInspector3/
    20. CodeStage/
    22. # Autogenerated VS/MD solution and project files
    23. *.csproj
    24. *.unityproj
    25. *.sln
    26. *.suo
    27. *.userprefs

49. Novack

Novack

Well, thats pretty basic really, almost all VCS on earth have "ignore file(s)" EXCEPT Unity's own Asset Server, which sadly, is pretty common. Thanks for the help anyway.

SarperS likes this.
  50. Novack

Novack

I use SVN for my own projects, or when I can choose.