Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@jshrek Thanks man! That's a great review :D

2. jshrek

jshrek

Another feature request to add to your to do list...

When using SI Console, right-click is missing a COPY option. You have to go back to regular Console window to copy a message.

3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hmm, I see, the context menu is missing in the lower part of the console. I'll try to fix that and you can use Ctrl+C on Windows or Cmd-C on OS X until then - no need to go back to the regular Console. ;)

4. alexthomasren

alexthomasren

Love this asset! Can I get a quick tip on best way to increase the font size? I think there's Control-+, is there any other way?

Thanks!

Flipbookee likes this.
  5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @alexthomasren! :D

Yes, Ctrl+Plus/Minus change the font size, or if you are on Unity 4.5 or a later version that would be Ctrl+Shift+Plus/Minus. On OS X you'd use Cmd instead of Ctrl, of course... And the other ways to do that are either to hold Ctrl and roll the mouse wheel, or on a laptop you can do zoom in or zoom out gestures on the touchpad. :cool:

I'm so glad you're enjoying Si2, but please make sure to check Si3's WIP thread as well. Let me know if you wish to join the beta :)

6. FamerJoe

FamerJoe

Flip I'm still waiting for my beta invite you said you would send me last year ! ;)

7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@FamerJoe, I must have missed you somehow. Trust me, that wasn't intentional! ;) The mailing list was too long, it's so easy to make mistakes... Please send me your email!

Everyone else, please let me know if you need access to Si3 Beta! :cool:

c22_DrMah67 likes this.
  8. c22_DrMah67

c22_DrMah67

I'd love to test it. When is full roughly going to be available? Cheers

9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@c22_DrMah67 I hope at the end of this month if everything goes smoothly :)

I'll PM you in a minute!

10. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

I've just imported beta 4.3 into quite a hefty package and I get the following error:

Multiple Managers!!!
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    ScriptInspector.FGTextBufferManager:OnEnable() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextBufferManager.cs:54)

Doesn't stop execution, just annoying.

Edit: This error occurs when importing Moodkie's "Easy Save 2" plugin.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  11. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Did you remove the Si2 first? If not, close all SI views, remove Si2 and Si3, and then if there are no compile errors reopen your Unity project and import Si3 Beta 4.3 again. If you have removed Si2 and there were no compile errors before importing Si3 this shouldn't happen. But if it did (for whatever unknown reason) reopening your Unity project should fix it.

12. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Not used Si2 in this project.

However, your advice works for Easy Save 2. If I import ES2 first, restart unity, then import Si3 the problem disappears.

Thanks

13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, cool if that fixed it :) although I have no idea how is Si3 related to ES2.

I'm looking forward to see your feedback on Beta 4.3 :)

14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Heya folks! Please update your Script Inspector 2 :)

Script Inspector 2, version 2.1.13 got just released on Asset Store! :cool:

This is only a maintenance update for compatibility with Unity 5.1 while the huge one, the Script Inspector 3 will be coming in only a few weeks from now. Stay tuned!

Thanks! :cool:

jprocha101 and Novack like this.
  15. jprocha101

jprocha101

@Flipbookee could I get access to the beta? I can't wait for the new features!! I purchased si2 yesterday. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    Flipbookee likes this.
  16. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

jprocha101 likes this.
  17. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Flipbookee

I just bought your Script Inspector 2.

How to control the font size in code editing (inspector) tab?
    What does this feature mean?
    "Font size controls (for dynamic fonts only)"

Is there a place (e.g. web page) that lists all the shortcuts of Script Inspector 2?

With option of "Always open in Script Inspector" selected, is there any way that I can still open script with my default external editor/IDE (e.g. VS)? For example, using some shortcut like "Ctrl + some_key + mouse_double_click"?

Flipbookee likes this.
  18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @Dan2013! :)

Ctrl+Minus and Ctrl+Equal on Windows and up to Unity 4.5 will change the font size. In Unity 4.6 these shortcuts were taken by the Hierarchy tab, so Si2 needs also a Shift key in addition to those - the shortcuts are Shift+Ctrl+Minus/Equals in Unity 4.6 and Unity 5+. On Mac these are same except that Ctrl gets replaced with Cmd. If you have a numeric keypad then NumPlus and NumMinus can also be used instead of Minus and Equal.

Besides that, Ctrl+Mouse Wheel works too (Cmd on OS X). Zoom in and zoom out gestures on a touchpad work as well.

All the shortcuts are listed in the readme.txt

When "Always open in Script Inspector" is on, all the scripts will open in SI and from there you can open them in the external editor with Ctrl+Enter (Cmd-Return on Mac) and also from the right-click context menu.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  19. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

That's a great idea! I'll make Ctrl+double click always open the external IDE :cool:

20. Dan2013

Dan2013

"Ctrl+Mouse Wheel" works best for me.
    "Ctrl+Enter" also works for external IDE.
    Thanks!

Flipbookee likes this.
  21. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Flipbookee

Is there any way to automatically expand an "tab" into fixed number of "spaces"?
    e.g. When I input a "tab" in Script Inspector, I actually input 4 "spaces".

22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hmm, currently no, but it's easy to add that as an option. Out of curiosity, why do you need that? Is that something very urgent? Because Si3 will replace Si2 in about two weeks, so if it isn't urgent I'd rather do that in Si3 only.

23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Dan2013 Thanks to your great idea - holding Ctrl on Windows / Cmd on OS X - now inverts the Open on Double-Click and Always open in Script Inspector settings! This is a great shortcut to quickly open a script, shader, or text asset in your alternative editor :D

Script Inspector 2, version 2.1.14 got just released on Asset Store! :cool:

Please update... Enjoy!!! :)

This will be the final update for Script Inspector 2. Next update will be to Script Inspector 3 with no additional charge for upgrading, although the price will change ;)

24. Fronne

Fronne

Hi Flipbookee,

You asked for some feedback, here is some to start with...

I just installed Si3 Beta 6 today and had no problems so far, I like the way Si3 works, you can alter something on the fly at lightspeed without even leaving Unity, Awesome!!! First impression is very good, I love some things but there are some things I miss and one thing I hate, it makes me nervous...

What I like a lot is when you have multiple files open, you can drag one file to the right and use the Si3 with a split window, this is great for comparing, copy/past code between files very fast...

The way you navigate to the code when you click a logged message, warning or error is a huge timesaver, well done!
    I don't use Unity's console window anymore but you can't use SI Console without it. I've hidden the Original Console window because two of the same kind is a little bit overdone. Perhaps you can find a way to "hide" the Original Console...

What I mis, is the "open file" button, would be great to access my script folder in the editor...
    One of the things I don't like in MonoDevelop is the print button which is not there, it would be great to be able to print inside the editor to save even more time...

What I hate (sorry), is the expanding (shrinking) tabs if the filename is too long (it Always is), I docked Si3 at the bottom, next to my project, console and some other tabs I use. When I just hover any of the (also the other) tabs, all tabs are dancing, trying to resize all the time, this is very distracting...

You could have an option to set the resizing tabs to off, perhaps a better option is to use tooltips displaying the full name when hovering a tab and display the full filename at the right side of the Unicode (UTF-8) message permanent...

Overall, Si3 can be an indispensable Asset if you take care of the details, I know you did a hell of a job bringing Si3 to this stage and I'm pretty sure you will have a superb Asset when finished... (most likely you never will) :p

I used Si3 for just one hour, I'm very pleased so far, I will let you know more in a few days...

Cheers,
    Franco Palmieri - Fronne

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Flipbookee likes this.
  25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Fronne Thanks for the great feedback! :D

You can disable expanding tabs from Preferences -> Script Inspector -> General -> Si3 tabs titles -> Expand on mouse-over ;)

Great idea, to show the file name instead of Unicode thingy! And tooltips on tabs as well :)

Unity and the .Net libraries that come with it don't support printing out of the box, so that's only doable with native plugins. Which sounds like an overkill for such a simple task IMO :-\

Next update should be ready today/tomorrow-ish ;) and the final release next week at latest :cool:

26. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Nah, don't put print in SI3 please. Who print code to paper these days? That's very wasteful and very environmentally unfriendly! If you want to print just save it as *.txt file and print it in ANY text file editor (Notepad on Windows, TextEdit on MAC)! SI3 is supposed to be lightweight and fast!

Flipbookee likes this.
  27. Fronne

Fronne

I installed Si3 Beta 7 and had no problems so far, perhaps I am da bawss is right, I shouldn't look at Si3 as a full editor replacing the IDE but more as an addition and a way to access code from within Unity at Warp Speed...

I promised to write a review, do you want me to do that before or after the "final release" next week?

Cheers,
    Franco Palmieri - Fronne

Flipbookee likes this.
  28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks Franco! :D Wait with the review please, there will be a few more things to see ;)

You can use Si3 as a quick editor for small changes, or you can use it as a full IDE, as many others including me do. In either case, there's no faster or more convenient alternative! :cool:

Fronne likes this.
  29. Fronne

Fronne

Can't wait for the few more things to come Dejan, Si3 has become my favorite IDE by now... :p
    I'll wait with the review but don't let me wait too long, the weight of all those stars are slowing me down... ;)

Cheers,
    Franco Palmieri - Fronne

Flipbookee likes this.
  30. schplurg

schplurg

I haven't posted here in a while but this sounds awesome! Any release date? Believe me I'm terrible at living up to release date promises so no pressure haha.

Flipbookee likes this.
  31. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@schplurg :) Just about now-ish... I'm finishing the presentation images and it will go live immediately after the upload :cool:

If you act fast you can still get it with the old price. I will have to update the price as well

32. schplurg

schplurg

Oh so this is an update to version 2?

ETA:
    Too late, I bought it!

Fronne and Flipbookee like this.
  33. SpectralRook

SpectralRook

One more test. Just confirmed that the Buy Additional License button for Script Inspector 3 works. Best purchase I've made on the Asset Store, by far. Congratulations on the release!

Screenshot 2015-07-31 00.08.41.png

Flipbookee likes this.
  34. Dan2013

Dan2013

Oh, I just resumed my game developing work and tried your Ctrl+Click function.
    Nice~~! :D

Flipbookee likes this.
  35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks for the idea, it was a great one! :)

36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ha, ha, nice :D Thanks!

Yes, it's an update to Si2 :cool: a pretty big one actually ;)

37. Fronne

Fronne

Congratulations on the official birth of Si3!

I just installed Si3 without any problems and lost some weight of 5 stars, the stars are accompanied by a review... ;)

Cheers,
    Franco Palmieri - Fronne

Flipbookee likes this.
  38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Script Inspector 3 got released a few hours ago! :D

Please update your projects, but remove the older versions first!

Enjoy!!! :cool:

nuverian likes this.
  39. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, you did test that as well? :p Thanks man, and thanks to everyone else involved in the beta! I think Si3 had the best beta testing team in the world! :D

40. imtrobin

imtrobin

Si 3 , I can't find the set font option anymore in the main inspector.

41. imtrobin

imtrobin

Getting a VSObject_Indexer.png not found error too.

42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@imtrobin Sounds like an installation mess up. Try removing it and importing again. Or try importing it in a new empty project.

43. imtrobin

imtrobin

its a new empty project and I don't see VSOBject_Indexer.png file.

Flipbookee likes this.
  44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see, seems like I missed that somehow :S

I've fixed that just now, and Si3 version 3.0.1 should be available on Asset Store in a few minutes... Thanks for finding this issue! :cool:

45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

And... Script Inspector 3, version 3.0.1 is already available now :D

@imtrobin Thank again for finding the issue! And sorry about that ;)

Enjoy! :cool:

46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Fronne likes this.
  47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@jrDev Thanks for the nicely updated review too! :D

Fronne likes this.
  48. imtrobin

imtrobin

Hi, we still can't set font from default inspector view. I have to open in Tabs to be able to change font.

49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, that was like that since the beginning... I should maybe change that, so I'll put it in my list =)

50. Jaimi

Jaimi

Wow, Script Inspector just gets better and better, thanks for the update! Are more enhancements coming? I have a wish list, of course! :)

Code folding, Find in Files, Find all references, and (... maybe impossible...) debugging. :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Fronne and Flipbookee like this.