Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe, thanks @wood333 :cool:

I don't recall the last time when my free time was not booked for at least a year in advance. There are so many cool things I want to add to Si3 - I'll never have time for another asset. If I ever make another asset it will have to be something simple and free :p

But if you think my work is cool then please let the others know ;) by adding a review! That will mean a lot to me :) and will help Si3 to finally reach its 100th five stars review :cool:

2. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey, hey, my dear friends! Do you know whose birthday is today? :rolleyes:

Script Inspector celebrates its 5th birthday! :D
    In these 5 years Script Inspector:
    • transformed from a simple script viewer with syntax highlighting to an advanced C# code editor;
    • became the world's fastest C# code editor;
    • turned programming in Unity from a frustrating to a pleasant and comfortable experience;
    • was nominated and entered Unity Awards finals for the prestigious Asset Store Award;
    • was praised by many of its users including Unity's own staff;
    • earned 318 five stars ratings (in average);
    • received 108 reviews, of which 95 are five stars, making it one of the top 12 editor extensions by number of 5 stars reviews;
    • became 27th top rated asset in Editor Extensions category (out of 2389 assets);
    • became 85th top rated asset in the whole Asset Store (out of 38427 assets);
    • allowed almost 1800 programmers to enjoy Unity like never before! :)
    Thanks everyone for sharing this adventure with me during all these 5 amazing years! :cool:

recon0303, antoripa, petey and 6 others like this.
  3. Novack

Novack

Congratulations man! Some well deserved achievements for a great guy and an awesome asset. Cheers to 5 years more!

Flipbookee likes this.
  4. amisner2k

amisner2k

We're just going to need to clone @Flipbookee...it's the only solution. ;)

wood333 and Flipbookee like this.
  5. docsavage

docsavage

All deserved. Definitely in my top5 most favorite editor assets. Probably number 1 thinking about it.

Flipbookee likes this.
  6. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

I was having this too (and I did't report previously). To solve the problem I deleted and reinstalled Si3.

Flipbookee likes this.
  7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see, thanks for the info! It must be something related to serialization of Si3 data that went wrong right after updating it to a newer version. Perhaps there's a field which isn't supposed to be serialized - I'll check that.

8. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

hmmm... yeah, I think it started appearing when I updated from beta to latest.

How did you manage to work at SE, create Si3 and respond to all these messages using only one lifetime?

Flipbookee likes this.
  9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Cool, thanks for the info!

Hehe yeah, I don't know :p... It was mostly weekends and evenings, but I wouldn't do this without the motivation and great support from you guys :)

One thing I didn't count on when I said I'll have plenty of time now was that I forgot I'll be moving to another country while looking for new job and attending job interviews. This is taking all my time now including the free time I used to have, but I hope once I settle down with the transition there will be a period with a lot more time for Si3 and Favorites Tabs.

Novack likes this.
  10. syscrusher

syscrusher

Good morning, @Flipbookee! I have an unusual feature request for Script Inspector -- several of them, actually. Here is the situation:

As you may recall, I have switched from MacOS to Windows for my Unity development workstation (due to Apple's anemic GPUs in the latest laptops). In my new environment, I have a 4K (3840x2160) primary screen on the laptop, and I usually work with an external monitor that is 2K (1920x1080). Normally, this works fine, and Windows is surprisingly graceful about managing the mismatched screen sizes. It probably helps that 4K is an exact multiple of 2K.

The problem is that if any program (ahem...Unity) crashes, window positions can get stored in an INI file or the Registry, and when you restart the program any floating window may be positioned offscreen and very hard to recover.

If the floating window shows up in Windows taskbar, there is a right-mouse option to Move that window back onto the screen. You select that option, then press any arrow key, and the window will be "grabbed" by the mouse even if it was way offscreen. Now move it where you want, click the left mouse button, and the problem is solved.

Unfortunately, each time SI3 opens a file, if there is not already an SI3 window open and docked, it defaults to a floating window. What I'm finding is that after a Unity crash (or a Windows crash), the next invocation of SI3 in any project where I didn't leave a docked SI3 window present, SI3 wants to float its window to the upper-left edge of the physical screen, with its title bar just *slightly* out of the clickable area. Since it's not visible in the Windows taskbar, I can't use that right-mouse trick to reposition it, nor is there a way to dock as a tab into any existing Unity window.

All that being said, here are my feature requests, if you are kind enough to consider them:
    1. Provide a menu option to combine all floating SI3 windows into a single floating window (with each SI3 window being a tab), and auto-center that window on the same physical screen as the Unity editor. I'd recommend it be about 50% of the physical size horizontally and vertically, and centered, and then the user can resize or dock it as they wish from there. If you can do this one change, it allows the user to recover from almost any monitor-induced anomalies. (This is meant to be a manual menu-driven recovery action, not a setting.)
    2. I'm not sure if this is possible, but can floating SI3 windows be made to appear in the operating system's task list? I'll just about bet my eyeteeth that is a Unity behavior not under your control, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    3. Could there be an SI3 preference to allow the first SI3 window to open pre-docked alongside the user's choice of several other common tabs? For example, a preference dropdown with three choices:
      • First SI3 window is floating (that is, the same as the current behavior)
      • First SI3 window docks as a tab alongside the Scene View tab.
      • First SI3 window docks as a tab alongside the Project tab.
    That last suggestion can't cover every scenario, of course. I don't know how others work, whether people have multiple Scene View tabs open at once, or none at all, etc. I suggested cases that I thought would be common. If multiple windows of the selected type (Scene or Project) are already open, I think simply choosing the first one you find is a reasonable default.

Any one of these three options would help a lot. I would prioritize #1 as highest priority, both because it directly solves the problem and because I perceive (perhaps incorrectly) that this one would be simplest of the three to implement.

If you are kind enough to take a crack at adding one or more of these features, I would be altogether happy to assist with testing on both Windows and Mac for you. :)

Thanks for listening, and as always thanks for continually improving my all-time favorite Unity asset!

Flipbookee likes this.
  11. DGordon

DGordon

Heya,

I'm going to be that annoying guy who keeps asking the same question every month. If nothing else, I won't let you forget about it ;).

Any word on the immediate window stuff? I would still love to implement SI3 into our custom editor windows which take in c# snippets. We have way more editors than I imagined at first, and quite a lot of them use c# directly typed into them which then gets saved out to c# files. Its working great ... but having SI3 directly embedded in them would take them to a whole other level :).

Flipbookee likes this.
  12. syscrusher

syscrusher

'Scuse me, but I thought it was my job to be the annoying guy who keeps asking for new features! :D

Flipbookee likes this.
  13. petey

petey

Hey Flipbookee, Just wondering if I could also be annoying and ask if you had made any progress on folding?
    Just checkin' no stress.

Thanks!
    Pete

Flipbookee likes this.
  14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @petey, @syscrusher and @DGordon! I just finished moving back to my home country and I'll be continuing my work on Si3 now (or I think from tomorrow). I've read all your posts, but I couldn't reply - I was that busy... And I haven't done much in the last month or so, because this move was taking all of my time. I hope you'll understand ;)

I'd like to thank all of you who were posting those great reviews and star ratings in meantime! :) I'll do my best to reward you back with some cool updates and new features in Si3 :cool:

15. DGordon

DGordon

No problem. I completely understand having responsibilities in other areas of your life ;). Thanks for explaining though. Looking forward to someday using this in our editors :).

Flipbookee likes this.
  16. petey

petey

Hey thanks for the update! Sounds like you have a bit going on! o_O
    P.

Flipbookee likes this.
  17. myloran

myloran

Hello guys!
    I've been trying this plugin on Windows for a while now and it's working just fine. However, i've tried it on Mac and the "Inspect Values of Properties" feature does not work. I enabled it in Unity Preferences window, reloaded unity, but it does not help. What can i do to fix this problem?

Flipbookee likes this.
  18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @myloran, thanks for reporting the issue! I'll check that now, but I think it should be just working fine. There are no differences in that part on PC and Mac, so if it works on one it must work on the other one too... But let me check...

19. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hey man,

Long time no see :) I'm back with a bad news. I'm on Mac Sierra, Unity 5.6.2f1, SI3 v3.0.18

Code (CSharp):

Flipbookee likes this.
  20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @thienhaflash, thanks for the bug report! I think I've fixed this one, but I'll double-check to be sure...

21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @myloran, I checked this but, as I expected, it's working fine on Mac, same as on PC. Can you give me some more info? How about a screenshot? Do you see any tooltips on code elements at all?

22. myloran

myloran

I don't see any tooltips at all.

Attached Files:

Flipbookee likes this.
  23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see. Then that's the reason for not seeing member values... For me, it just works all fine, so I'll have to find out how to reproduce this issue on my Mac. Tell me the following things:
    - What's your Unity version and OS?
    - When you right-click a symbol in your code, is the popup menu aligned exactly below that symbol?
    - Have you tried this in an empty new Unity project with only Si3 imported in it? If not then please try that.

24. myloran

myloran

Unity version: 5.6.0f3
    Mac version: macOs Sierra 10.12.5 (16F73)

Attached Files:

Flipbookee likes this.
  25. crimi

crimi

Flipbookee likes this.
  26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see... There must be something that prevents popup windows to show in your project. Can you share it with me maybe? That would be the fastest way for me to reproduce the issue.

27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Auto-formatting is a new feature which hasn't been finished. @Victor_Kallai was helping me with this feature, but it isn't ready for release yet. I hope, soon it will be...

crimi likes this.
  28. crimi

crimi

This will make script inspector a perfect alternative to VS :=)

recon0303 and Flipbookee like this.
  29. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

Here it is https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8udJnI2vbD6bU5mNFZDRHFFaDA . Use it at your own risk. Sometimes, it does not work, so you have to manually add some empty lines at the end of the file. Use Ctrl+Alt+L to format, but you can change it in the SI3 Formatter class. Cheers!

crimi and Flipbookee like this.
  30. crimi

crimi

Thanks it works. It is not like you have to format the code that often but sometimes you lose the overview :)

This is very helpful.

Flipbookee likes this.
  31. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

BTW, change the 38 line in SI3 Formatter to "string beautifiedText = Beautifier.Beautify(text) + "\n" + "\n" + "\n";"
    This will add the new line for you, and it will prevent some format failures. I will update the package as well.

Flipbookee and crimi like this.
  32. jeffkenz

jeffkenz

how to auto generate code for implement interface/abstract function shourtcut in windows? in visual studio smart window with ctrl + . command?

Flipbookee likes this.
  33. petey

petey

Hi Flipbookee, just wondering is there a way to filter this breadcrumb thingy to only show Methods or Functions?
    Thought it could be handy.

Sorry, forgot to add this.

Thanks!
    Pete

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Flipbookee likes this.
  34. LWatkissVeal

LWatkissVeal

Hi Flipbookee, I've been using Script Inspector 3 for quite a while and have had few problems up until now: Unity froze while I was typing in script inspector on OSX, and after waiting a while I forced Unity to close. Now when I try to open a .cs file it opens MonoDevelop instead. This causes the following line to be written to Editor.log:

EditorHelper: Attempting to open file (using Apple events): [path to file]

I've tried opening Window > Inspector and nothing happens, and nothing is written to Editor.log either.

ScriptInspector3 doesn't show in the right-side pane. Instead it's Unity's default view of the file that I can't edit in.

When I go to the Unity menu > Preferences the external script editor is currently set to Mono Develop, with no other options except Browse.

Many thanks

Lawrence

Flipbookee likes this.
  35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey Lawrence, this sounds like the scripts didn't compile because of a compile error. You'll have to check the error in the Console window and then fix it in order to get Si3 back in life. I'm pretty sure there is an error shown in the Console, but if you don't see it then please send me your Editor.log file and I'll check what's going on...

36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yeah, that should be useful. I can easily add an option to do that!

Currently there's no command for auto-implementing all missing methods at once, but I can add that as well. It isn't so easy to do that as Pete's suggestion above, but also it isn't too complicated.

Many things were happening in my life recently that left me with almost no time for Si3 last few weeks. In a few days this will be over and I'll have much more time for improving Si3 again... Thanks for the patience and support! ;)

petey likes this.
  37. LWatkissVeal

LWatkissVeal

Thanks Flipbookee, that did the trick

Flipbookee likes this.
  38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Great! You're welcome :)

39. punk

punk

@Flipbookee

hey bro,

I'm getting a small problem After updating to unity 2017

when I double click an error in the SI console I get the follow error

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ScriptInspector.FGConsole.OpenLogEntry (UnityEditor.EditorWindow console) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGConsole.cs:264)
    ScriptInspector.FGConsole.OnGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGConsole.cs:226)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

I've also tried deleting it from the project and re-installing it and no joy

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. docsavage

docsavage

Life has a habit of doing this. You've done a great job with this asset and supported it amazingly so surely everyone can forgive you:)

41. Baste

Baste

I've been trying to use Script Inspector now to get a better feel for the different alternatives out there. I've got some questions:

- Is there any way to make it insert four spaces instead of tabs? I'm not interested in spending most of my programming time in git due to tab vs space conflicts. This is a bare minimum.
    - Is there any kind of "go to file" or "go to member" features that I'm missing? there's go-to-declaration, so SI3 can obviously open the location of any symbol correctly, so it shouldn't be hard to implement. In most code editors I've used, there's a shortcut for "go to type", that I can hit, write the name of the type, and then hit enter to open that type. Here it seems like I have to click in the Project view and write the name of the script, and if the script name and type name is not the same, I just have to remember where the type's defined.
    Similarly, go-to-member is nice to go to a field/property/method in the current file. Find isn't really the same thing, as that also finds calls to the method I'm looking for.
    - SI3 keeps nagging me with warnings about how it can't find the UnityScript dll. Could you perhaps consider not doing that?

SI3 seems to be a pretty decent product. It's nowhere near the functionality of say Jetbrain's products, but the faster startup time is a decent trade-off for refactoring tools. I'm probably slower and I'm probably outputting slightly worse code than if I was using eg. Rider, but the annoyance factor of waiting for the IDE to get going is a worthwhile tradeoff. But the tab thing is an absolute deal breaker, and lacking navigation features is pretty severe.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Flipbookee likes this.
  42. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Hey @Flipbookee - I get a bunch of errors and weird behaviour if I double-click on the same word often. On Mac at least!

Flipbookee likes this.
  43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

That's weird, but thanks! I'll check that...

44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, but this isn't released yet ;). I can share that with you now, if you wish, or just wait until it gets released.

Yes, there is a go to file command, called "Open Any File..." in Si3, and the keyboard shortcut is Alt+Shift+O on Windows or Alt-Cmd-O on OS X. The shortcut also works globally in Unity, regardless which window is focused. :cool:

There's no go to member, but there is something very close to that - you can press Alt+M on Windows or Ctrl+M on OS X to access the last button in the code navigation toolbar. :)

I've started working on a "Go To Any Symbol" command (but I haven't finished that yet) which can help you navigate to types or members of those types.

Hehe yeah, I could consider that :p... The thing is this warning wasn't happening before Unity 2017.1 got released, so I never noticed it. Now this warning needs to be removed and ignored, as it seems like Si3 is working just fine. Please remove that Debug.LogWarning line and I'll do the same with the next update.

Thanks for the compliments! :cool: The tab thingy has already been solved and there are plenty of navigation features already (did you know you can jump to method definitions from UnityEvent properties shown in the Inspector ;)), but yeah, the go to any symbol is still missing for now.

45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe, thanks for understanding! :rolleyes:

docsavage likes this.
  46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @punk, please check this post by the awesome @Andrew_Howe - the latest Unity has moved the LogEntry and LogEntries types from UnityEditorInternal namespace to UnityEditor, which broke the SI Console. :( I'll add this fix in the update I'm preparing...

punk likes this.
  47. punk

punk

thanks ;)

Flipbookee likes this.
  48. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

@Flipbookee

Hey Flipbookee, it's long time ago :) I'm very interesting to write shader code with SI3 and auto format it.
    I know that auto format is not available. I asked you about for 2 simple Si3 Methods for SI3.

sting[] SI3_getText(current_window) (complete text)
    void SI3_replaceText(current_window, sting[] text) (complete text)

So on a keystroke I would be able to get text without un-formated and token, and replace it with the current text after SI3.replaceText(current_window_id, sting[] text) for sure color format should be done as well after replacement. This should be happen on file format .shader only.

What do you think?

49. Fattie

Fattie

hi @Flipbookee your product is ... mindboggling

I just bought it and am about to put a million star review on the asset store

you do need to add code collapse .......

If I may suggest, keep it simple - the best way is just:

keystroke combo left arrow (say, command option left arrow .. whatever) ...
    that collapses the block { } you are in at the moment

keystroke combo right arrow (say, command option left arrow .. whatever) ...
    that expands a collapse you are in at the moment

iIt would be great if you could do this!

Those are indeed the first two basic features here:

Later at your leisure you could add the other four typical functions.

But if you just do the first two that would solve "90% of the problem".

Off to the review page! Astounding product, thank you so much.

Flipbookee and petey like this.
  50. recon0303

recon0303

I keep getting an error saying the complier this script was imported with is not available anymore.

I have this happen every time I update a script.

any idea why this happens?

Flipbookee likes this.