Search Unity

Script for importing Adobe Fuse character model into Unity (fixes materials)

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by saulth, Jul 7, 2017.

1. richyoung_readify

richyoung_readify

Hi truebototics,

I needed to get this running in 2018.3 as well and have updated the script to work. Please find attached. As materials are now embedded in the model, had to make a few adjustments to the way it handles those. It will create two new materials for the eye and eyelashes.

Attached Files:

2. richyoung_readify

richyoung_readify

Let me know if you run it and if you have any issues - I haven't tried the updated script with anything extra like gloves, masks etc - so YMMV.

Huge thanks to @saulth for the original script - it was a lifesaver!

fairtree likes this.
  3. richyoung_readify

richyoung_readify

Decided to create a version that extracted the materials out so that I could play around with them as required. Thought I'd put it up here as well.

Attached Files:

4. RedHermit

RedHermit

Thank you so much to @saulth and @richyoung_readify - I love this script and has worked great up to Unity 2018. I tried it in Unity 2019, and unfortunately it gives an error in all my tests.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MixamoUnityImporter._process_model (System.String character_name, System.String folder, System.String filename) (at Assets/Mixamo/Editor/MixamoUnityImporter.cs:295)
    MixamoUnityImporter.ImportCharacter () (at Assets/Mixamo/Editor/MixamoUnityImporter.cs:108)

Line 295 is:
    model.transform.Find(mesh.name).GetComponent<SkinnedMeshRenderer>().sharedMaterials = shared_mats;

Model is defined on 243:
    var model = (GameObject)PrefabUtility.InstantiatePrefab(asset, UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager.GetActiveScene());

Honestly I was hoping to fix it and provide a working script for 2019.. unfortunately all my attempts, and Novice C# skills have failed.. If anyone has any thoughts on what may have changed in 2019 that the code isn't happy with, I'd be grateful for your input.

5. milad-y

milad-y

It didn't work for me. It does not import any texture.

6. unity_3jbc22

unity_3jbc22

does this support HDRP?

7. s9asthie

s9asthie

I debugged the script and implemented a bugfix for all of you who received the following exception:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MixamoUnityImporter._process_model (System.String character_name, System.String folder, System.String filename) (at Assets/Mixamo/Editor/MixamoUnityImporter.cs:295)
    MixamoUnityImporter.ImportCharacter () (at Assets/Mixamo/Editor/MixamoUnityImporter.cs:108)

For me it is working fine now. :) Thanks for your nice script!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    drcfrx, sunwangshu and Shizola like this.
  8. sunwangshu

sunwangshu

This works for me. Thanks a lot for posting the update!

Also thanks @saulth and @richyoung_readify !

9. sunwangshu

sunwangshu

Side note for file setttings:

屏幕截图(20).png

Where the texture folder should be named the same way as .fbx file.
    And the texture folder is generated by Fuse from "File -> Export -> Export Textures". Not the ones extracted from .fbx file.

10. mekkinen

mekkinen

Seems like a super useful script! I tried, I think, all versions posted but it didn't do the job with my Unity 2019.2.14f.

The script runs, but I'm always left out with a Prefab where my Body, Bottoms, Eyes, etc. have a material called "No name" which doesn't have any texture maps in it. In the /[Character_name]/Materials/ folder I only have one material: "No Name". Same goes for the prefab which is inside the folder /[Character_name]/Textures/, where I have BodyMat, BottomsMat, etc. which have no texture maps attached. My textures are copied into the same /Textures folder, but not used in any materials.

Have any of you run into the same issue? I'm not too familiar with the material system in Unity, so I find debugging the script to be quite difficult.

11. Jay-Loccult

Jay-Loccult

I've got the same issue as @mekkinen
    Maybe it comes from the "File -> Export -> Export Textures" which is not available in the version of Fuse that I use.

Attached Files:

12. dukerustfield

dukerustfield

This is super old. But Fuse CC is going away in a few weeks. Or at least won't be supported. And I suspect they will break the link to Mixamo.

Make a standard, empty game. Import into there using above. Move everything to HDRP. Get all the textures and materials setup properly. Then use the Edit/Render Pipeline/Upgrade selected materials to HDRP. You'll still have to tweak a bit.

Beef-Tooth likes this.
  13. Beef-Tooth

Beef-Tooth

Is this still possible now that Adobe axed Fuse to Mixamo? Also no longer a way to export the facial blendshapes from Fuse. Major loss.

14. StephenWebb

StephenWebb

If Fuse were a bro, it'd be the one that crashes your wedding drunk, and pisses all over the flora arrangements. I hate Fuse with a passion, Adobe what the hell happened to you? I loathe using their waaaaaay over kill poly count characters, but I still do once every blue moon when I don't feel like doing retop and rigging / weight mapping...