Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Script for generating ShadowCaster2Ds for Tilemaps

Discussion in '2D' started by ThundThund, Jun 6, 2020.

1. ThundThund

ThundThund

Hi everybody,

Since I did not find any built-in functionality to make shadow casters fit in the shape of the tilemaps (something that I think it is fundamental) I made my own script to achieve such thing without having to manually create and adjust every shadow caster.

Just add the script to your project and you will see a new option in the top menu of the editor. Once you execute it, shadow casters will be created for all the tilemaps in the open scene. It requires that the tilemaps have CompositeCollider2Ds. I made it as generic as possible so it is not limited to tilemaps, it only depends on composite colliders.

I hope it helps you to save some time.

Other code I shared:
    Pixel perfect LineRenderer2D
    Delaunay Triangulation with constrained edges
    Target sorting layers as assets

Regards.

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using System.Reflection;
    5. using UnityEngine;
    6. using UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.Universal;
    8. /// <summary>
    9. /// It extends the ShadowCaster2D class in order to be able to modify some private data members.
    10. /// </summary>
    11. public static class ShadowCaster2DExtensions
    12. {
    13.     /// <summary>
    14.     /// Replaces the path that defines the shape of the shadow caster.
    15.     /// </summary>
    16.     /// <remarks>
    17.     /// Calling this method will change the shape but not the mesh of the shadow caster. Call SetPathHash afterwards.
    18.     /// </remarks>
    19.     /// <param name="shadowCaster">The object to modify.</param>
    20.     /// <param name="path">The new path to define the shape of the shadow caster.</param>
    21.     public static void SetPath(this ShadowCaster2D shadowCaster, Vector3[] path)
    22.     {
    23.         FieldInfo shapeField = typeof(ShadowCaster2D).GetField("m_ShapePath",
    24.                                                                BindingFlags.NonPublic |
    25.                                                                BindingFlags.Instance);
    26.         shapeField.SetValue(shadowCaster, path);
    27.     }
    29.     /// <summary>
    30.     /// Replaces the hash key of the shadow caster, which produces an internal data rebuild.
    31.     /// </summary>
    32.     /// <remarks>
    33.     /// A change in the shape of the shadow caster will not block the light, it has to be rebuilt using this function.
    34.     /// </remarks>
    35.     /// <param name="shadowCaster">The object to modify.</param>
    36.     /// <param name="hash">The new hash key to store. It must be different from the previous key to produce the rebuild. You can use a random number.</param>
    37.     public static void SetPathHash(this ShadowCaster2D shadowCaster, int hash)
    38.     {
    39.         FieldInfo hashField = typeof(ShadowCaster2D).GetField("m_ShapePathHash",
    40.                                                               BindingFlags.NonPublic |
    41.                                                               BindingFlags.Instance);
    42.         hashField.SetValue(shadowCaster, hash);
    43.     }
    44. }
    46. /// <summary>
    47. /// It provides a way to automatically generate shadow casters that cover the shapes of composite colliders.
    48. /// </summary>
    49. /// <remarks>
    50. /// Specially recommended for tilemaps, as there is no built-in tool that does this job at the moment.
    51. /// </remarks>
    52. public class ShadowCaster2DGenerator
    53. {
    54.     [UnityEditor.MenuItem("Generate Shadow Casters", menuItem = "Tools/Generate Shadow Casters")]
    55.     public static void GenerateShadowCasters()
    56.     {
    57.         CompositeCollider2D[] colliders = GameObject.FindObjectsOfType<CompositeCollider2D>();
    59.         for(int i = 0; i < colliders.Length; ++i)
    60.         {
    61.             GenerateTilemapShadowCasters(colliders[i]);
    62.         }
    63.     }
    65.     /// <summary>
    66.     /// Given a Composite Collider 2D, it replaces existing Shadow Caster 2Ds (children) with new Shadow Caster 2D objects whose
    67.     /// shapes coincide with the paths of the collider.
    68.     /// </summary>
    69.     /// <remarks>
    70.     /// It is recommended that the object that contains the collider component has a Composite Shadow Caster 2D too.
    71.     /// It is recommended to call this method in editor only.
    72.     /// </remarks>
    73.     /// <param name="collider">The collider which will be the parent of the new shadow casters.</param>
    74.     public static void GenerateTilemapShadowCasters(CompositeCollider2D collider)
    75.     {
    76.         // First, it destroys the existing shadow casters
    77.         ShadowCaster2D[] existingShadowCasters = collider.GetComponentsInChildren<ShadowCaster2D>();
    79.         for (int i = 0; i < existingShadowCasters.Length; ++i)
    80.         {
    81.             GameObject.DestroyImmediate(existingShadowCasters[i].gameObject);
    82.         }
    84.         // Then it creates the new shadow casters, based on the paths of the composite collider
    85.         int pathCount = collider.pathCount;
    86.         List<Vector2> pointsInPath = new List<Vector2>();
    87.         List<Vector3> pointsInPath3D = new List<Vector3>();
    89.         for (int i = 0; i < pathCount; ++i)
    90.         {
    91.             collider.GetPath(i, pointsInPath);
    93.             GameObject newShadowCaster = new GameObject("ShadowCaster2D");
    94.             newShadowCaster.isStatic = true;
    95.             newShadowCaster.transform.SetParent(collider.transform, false);
    97.             for(int j = 0; j < pointsInPath.Count; ++j)
    98.             {
    99.                 pointsInPath3D.Add(pointsInPath[j]);
    100.             }
    102.             ShadowCaster2D component = newShadowCaster.AddComponent<ShadowCaster2D>();
    103.             component.SetPath(pointsInPath3D.ToArray());
    104.             component.SetPathHash(Random.Range(int.MinValue, int.MaxValue)); // The hashing function GetShapePathHash could be copied from the LightUtility class
    106.             pointsInPath.Clear();
    107.             pointsInPath3D.Clear();
    108.         }
    110.         UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager.MarkAllScenesDirty();
    111.     }
    113. }
    115. #endif

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021 at 6:39 PM
    Mindjar, id0, lilacsky824 and 14 others like this.
  2. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

MD_Reptile likes this.
  3. ThundThund

ThundThund

Regarding performance, it only creates a GameObject with a ShaderCaster2D component per independent block (i.e. non-continuous block) of the Tilemap. For example, in the image, it creates 14 objects. I don't know how the shadow casting system performs as the number of shadow casters increase, that's my only doubt and nobody can do anything to solve that (apart from Unity guys). Besides, I don't know if having a CompositeShadowCaster2D makes a difference or not in terms of performance.

Redninja7002 likes this.
  4. japhib

japhib

Wow, this is awesome!

5. Kashlavor

Kashlavor

Looks great, thank you.

6. FarGalaxy

FarGalaxy

Hi, the script works fine, but an error occurs when building the project, because Unity tries to add this script with UnityEditor to the build.

I solved this problem by adding the
    #if UNITY_EDITOR
    at the beginning and
    #endif
    at the end of the script.

7. ThundThund

ThundThund

Sorry I forgot to add the compiler definitions. I've updated the script.

thathurtabit likes this.
  8. Dannyxv8

Dannyxv8

Wow, this actually worked unlike everything else I've tried so far! You're a god!! I just hope there's not too many side effects or performance intensive...

9. PaulKhill

PaulKhill

Quick addition for anyone trying to make this work : if you are using a Tilemap Collider 2D, you must add a Composite Collider 2D and check the "Used by Composite" option in the Tilemap Collider 2D for this to work. (You may also want to set the bodytype of the rigid body to static, if you don't want your whole tilemap to fly)

Great work friend !

10. Mazemace

Mazemace

Looks great!

The light travelled through walls for me, so I added the following code

Code (CSharp):
    1. component.selfShadows = true;

11. unity_AJ5N9uSO-J1hIw

unity_AJ5N9uSO-J1hIw

Hello,
    I can't seem to find the option that is supposed to execute. Could you send a screenshot or describe more specifically to me where I can find it? Sorry for this dumb question.

Edit:
    I found it. It's just me who had not searched properly. If someone else has the same issue that I had, here is how to access it.

Tools -> Generate Shadow Casters

Yep, it's that simple.
    Again, sorry for this question.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Subnormal and japhib like this.
  12. Yumineko

Yumineko

Great! Thank you for the useful script.

13. ThundThund

ThundThund

Added the line "UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager.MarkAllScenesDirty();". Sometimes I just open the scene and generate the shadow casters, without making any other change. Since the editor does not realize about those changes, they are not saved. Pressing the Play button makes the scene restore its original content, as if nothing happened. Now the scenes are marked as dirty and everything works as expected.

14. mega8200

mega8200

Hello, does the script work on runtime

15. ThundThund

ThundThund

Never tried.

16. japhib

japhib

I'm pretty sure I got it to work at runtime in the past. You just have to remove anything that uses a "UnityEditor" namespace, like this line at the bottom:

Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager.MarkAllScenesDirty();

17. LordHobbas

LordHobbas

Hi!

I can't seem to get this to work.
    If I understand correctly, all I need to do is
    1. Import Universal RP from Package Manager.
    2. Copy paste the script to somewhere in my project
    3. Create a Tilemap, (and edit the collisions of course).
    4. Add a Tilemap Collider 2D and Composite Collider 2D to the Tilemap. (Make sure to check "Used By Composite" under TileMap Collider 2D).
    5. Lastly, run Tools > Generate Shadow Casters.

Nothing changes after running it. I tested creating a new project for this but it made no difference.
    I'm running Unity 2020.2.4f1

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

18. ThundThund

ThundThund

Hi LordHobbas, let's try to find the issue. I'm not sure but could it be related to the Geometry Type in the CompositeCollider2D?

19. LordHobbas

LordHobbas

Thanks for the quick response, I didn't expect that!
    It's set to "Outlines".
    I can see now that there are several "ShadowCaster2D" created as children to the Tilemap object, and they're recreated everytime I run the script. So the script seems to work perfectly. I think I've missed something else.
    Do I need to enable something to make the Tilemap receive shadows as well?

20. ThundThund

ThundThund

You are welcome. If the shadow casters have the correct shape, then it all depends on the layers that are affected by the casters and the settings of the light, shadow intensity, target sorting layers, etc.

21. LordHobbas

LordHobbas

I got it to work!
    I had to create a new Material. The one I already had was created before I set the custom pipeline asset as my graphics, and Unity did not like that. After creating a new one, and upping the shadow intensity on the lights, it started working perfectly!

ThundThund likes this.
  22. Mindjar

Mindjar

Thanks for the script, works perfectly!

ThundThund likes this.
unityunity