Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Script Editor Support

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by noyogiisMYusername, Jul 10, 2020.

1. noyogiisMYusername

noyogiisMYusername

2020.1.b.15
    3 out of 8 packages in the package manager window are for script editor support.
    I've removed them as two are for microsoft studio and the other for jetbrains, I use Atom.
    Question1: will removing these hinder any functionality between Atom and Unity?
    Question2: are the packages for supporting Unity's importing of .cs or for the Editorss writing of the .cs?
    Question3: Is it beneficial to have multiple packages for different script editors or am I supposed to pick one that makes the most sense for the editor I'm using and remove the others?
    Thank you

2. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

1: AFAIK no, they only affect their respective editor
    2: You can see if Atom is providing a custom one, Unity only has official integrations for Jet Brains, Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code
    3: There is no negative impact AFAIK, I usually work with team members that use different IDEs so I always install all of the available ones and had no issues with that so far

EDIT: I misread your question 2, if I understood correctly, the answer is that the IDE packages are basically for the scripting debugger integration (and a couple more features that may relly on the IDE-Editor communication)

noyogiisMYusername likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

As far as I have noticed, no. I'm using MonoDevelop and I systematically remove all the packages; no problem so far. :)

noyogiisMYusername likes this.