Search Unity

Script access to vertex colors in a mesh

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by RockHound, Sep 20, 2006.

1. RockHound

RockHound

I am trying to attenuate my character's shading based on its location in a room.

More specifically: The room in question has "baked lighting" stored in the mesh vertex colors, and we modulate the room's texture color with the baked lighting via "BindChannels". I would like to also modulate my character's color using the room mesh's vertex colors.

My intention is to render the floor under the character's feet in a separate render-to-texture camera (ortho, 1x1 pixel). That render would shade the floor using only vertex colors. I could then modify the character's texture using the rendered texture via "combine previous * texture". I haven't done this yet, but it seems like it should work.

However, this approach requires multi-texturing graphics cards (as listed in the manual), and so is not as general a solution.

Is there a better way? And has this question been addressed before in the forum?

Ideally, I'd like something like this: a RaycastHit object (or something like it) retuns not only collision info, but mesh info as well, such as the triangle that was intersected. From that I could access vertices and their colors, do my own interpolation, and get my color. However, I haven't found any such capability in Unity; in fact I can't find any way to access Mesh objects of imported assets at all.

Thanks for any insights or suggestions on what I'm trying to do.

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The render texture approach should work. I would not worry much about multi-texturing cards (anyways, I think all cards that can do rendertextures also have multi-texturing; i.e. at least two textures per pass). For extremely old hardware, you can just write a shader that does not tint the player character, right?

The mesh access interface is documented here. You either access a mesh of existing object, or expose a variable in your script of Mesh type and assign the mesh directly to the script.

A raycast returning mesh face plus more info (like barycentric coordinates on the triangle) would be useful, sure. We'll add that in the future.

3. RockHound

RockHound

Aras, thank you for the info.

I had missed the mesh access interface. It probably wouldn't be too time consuming to write up a bounding volume hierarchy class for a Mesh object and do my own intersection queries. For the time being though, I'll likely use render textures.

4. RockHound

RockHound

Could someone briefly review the process of using a render-to-texture image in a shader? Despite picking through the manual and the CharacterShadow.cs script, I seem to be missing something. Here is how I do it:

I create a second camera (besides Main Camera), and I initialize and orient it. By setting the viewport, I can see during run-time that it is rendering what I want.

In script (Awake) I create a RenderTexture object, and assign it to the second camera's targetTexture. In Awake() I also call renderer.material.SetTexture() on the shaded object using the rendered texture. I think this should work, but unfortunately it appears that the texture is not being rendered into; it contains random/noisy data.

Oddly, if I set the Main Camera's targetTexture to the RenderTexture, the process works (from the Scene View, 'cuz the Game View isn't rendered on-screen), so I am assuming that the RenderTexture object is created correctly and that my shader sees the correct rendered texture. But the process won't work for my second camera.

I dislike airing my bugs to the public, but at the moment I am at a loss with this. Thank you for any input.

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

First thing I'd try is not creating a render texture dynamically, instead create a small RT in the project, then you can see it's contents in the inspector. The other thing to watch out is that by default textures created from scripts are non-power-of-two (i.e. RECT textures) so they might need a special shader.

6. RockHound

RockHound

Thanks (again) Aras. I couldn't get the render texture contents in the inspector, so I set is as the texture map to a dummy cube. Using your suggestion, I immediately saw my problem--I forgot to change my viewport back to (0,0,1,1) after setting the camera's output to the render texture.