Search Unity

ScreenToWorldPoint acting differently on a Mac compared to a PC

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JeffersonTD, Jan 25, 2017.

1. JeffersonTD

JeffersonTD

I have set up some editor tools for helping in doing some level editing. I mostly work on a PC, but then at least to do iOS builds I open the project on a mac. But there is one thing that seems to behave differently on the mac. Getting the coordinates within the scene seem to work in the same fashion, but when I call

camera.ScreenToWorldPoint(posInScene)

on Windows the correct position is returned but on the mac it returns something entirely different. What could be the reason for this? And how could I fix this? I'm doing this in OnSceneGUI.

A possibly related thing I've noticed is that for some weird reason camera.rect is always camera.rect(x:0.00, y:0.00, width:1.00, height:1.00) on PC, but on a mac for "Layout" events it's (x:0.00, y:-0.99, width:2.00, height:2.00). Could someone explain that? :confused:

2. JeffersonTD

JeffersonTD

Has someone had similar experiences or have an idea why eg on the Mac the camera.rect is different for the Layout event?

3. JeffersonTD

JeffersonTD

No one's had the same issue?

4. tarasrng

tarasrng

I have the same issue with Camera.current.ScreenPointToRay.
    Have you found what's wrong?

5. tarasrng

tarasrng

I found the the workaround: use HandleUtility.GUIPointToWorldRay instead of camera.ScreenToWorldPoint.

JeffersonTD likes this.
  6. JeffersonTD

JeffersonTD

I actually moved on to another project, and also primarily working on a PC, it's not that important, so I didn't find a solution.

But thanks for sharing your finding! That might come in handy if I do something similar or some day return to that earlier project!