Search Unity

Screenshots of My Future Home

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by terransage, Mar 13, 2007.

1. terransage

terransage

Well, theoretically this could be my home after I rake in all the money from my game....

These are screenshots from the game under construction.

Attached Files:

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Please direct me to the guest house where I'll be staying, thanks. You rake in the cash, I'll rake the leaves and keep the lawn lookin' good.

Nice work btw. :)

3. drJones

drJones

coming along nicely terran ; )

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The only thing I'm not fond of is how the large square pattern on some of the walls is arbitrarily cut off at the top. This makes it look like just a texture rather than something that's really "built".

--Eric

5. terransage

terransage

Thank you, drJones and HiggyB. I have a hard time gauging how well this is working out, especially since I'm new to it. But I suppose it's the same for everyone here. It really helps to show your work. The last time I did it, I got a lot of constructive criticism that helped me rethink the modeling and texturing, much to my satisfaction.

Ah, thank you, Eric, for mentioning that. That was bothering me, too, in other places in the interior of the building, but I wasn't sure how much of a problem it was. In fact, that pattern is more of an interior one, anyway--like a floor pattern--so it's probably going to leave the outer walls. I'm also planning to put windows in them. Right now I think they're too austere and imposing. The yard needs a little botanical attention, too.

Speaking of the pattern placement problem, one of the setbacks I'm having is that, in C4D, I can't use multiple UV mappings of one texture on one object plus a lightmap and import it correctly into Unity. I have to let each texture fall more or less whereever it wants to on a complex object. Either that, or split the object into separate objects with separate UV maps and lightmaps (which is costly), or skip the lightmap altogether. I'm doing a lot of that already, and am making up for it by using triggers to turn the renderers on and off. AFAIK, C4D doesn't do vertex baking like Maya. Is there anyone here using C4D who knows of a better way? I've done a few posts about that already, but still had to use workarounds.

In the screenshot below, all of the separate textures you see are actually separate objects. Only in cases where I didn't really need a lightmap did I use multiple UV's on an object. Wherever each texture is repeated elsewhere in the room (like around the doorway), they're all part of one object with a single lightmap. With renderer enabled/disabled (and some objects active/inactive), my framerates are still pretty good.[/b]

Attached Files:

6. terransage

terransage

My masons and carpenters toiled all day tearing down the old wall and putting up this new one with windows. I definitely like it better than the old texture, but my workers are clamoring for higher wages and more vacation time. :(

Attached Files:

7. jeremyace

jeremyace

Looking quite interesting. I like the colors. Looking forward to seeing where you take this.

-Jeremy

8. terransage

terransage

Thanks, jeremyace, I'm also wondering where I'm taking this. I have plans, but I keep going off-track and improvising. I never intended to create this long, low building with the two towers. And I never intended the yard, either. The main castle and unfinished courtyard are behind the camera. There's also a "dungeon" below this scene that I haven't worked on at all. It's just a series of hallways with one texture on them. The backstory behind it all is fantasy/sci fi. Something about saving the world from aliens and involving the Illuminati and possibly the Knights Templar, subjects that no one has ever tackled before in games or fiction! :wink: It will rely heavily on word games, crosswords, codes and passwords.

9. jeremyace

jeremyace

If you were to put some particle systems in there it would look quite nice. The lighting is a bit to uniform for my tastes unless you are going for a night-time look. Maybe if you added a couple orange or yellow lights?

Hey, I think we all do the random projects. But eventually all those random projects turn into a game. ;-)

-Jeremy

10. terransage

terransage

jeremyace said:
    Nope, I haven't gotten around to the lighting yet. In fact, there's no lighting in this scene at all, except for the fires inside the towers. It's all lightmaps so far. Besides the fires, I have a mesh particle emitter around the yard tower/sculpture that flares up when you get close to it. When you get even closer, a rotating shaft of light shoots down. When you step into the light shaft, the tower/sculpture disappears and a treasure (as of yet undetermined) is revealed.

Attached Files:

11. jeremyace

jeremyace

Cool. It looks quite "alive" which is a good thing. I like your choice of colors. Keep it up!

-Jeremy

12. Foxxis

Foxxis

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but what keeps you from having separate objects using one shared texture (and lightmap)?
    I use bodypaint and let several objects share a texture. If I need repetition/tiling (mainly bump/color), I have to manually edit the UV-mapping which is a bit of a pain - but it works.

[EDIT: Thought some more, and I haven't actually combined a tiling texture with a separate non-tiling lightmap, for which you would need more than one UV-map for the object in question, which may not work. Is that what you mean? ]

What I really would like is an automatic way of setting up tiling UV-mapped textures in C4D, as I haven't found a way to do it...yet. :)

13. Marble

Marble

How do you mean automatic? C4D has the paint wizard and the "UV Mapping" tab when you're editing UV polygons that allow for certain automatic mapping, tiling, and relaxation methods. There's also pelt-mapping, even though you'd never guess it was there because it's not the manual.

And I think terransage was referring to multiple UV maps with the lightmap thing. It's been a sticking point for both him and I (and surely others!) that C4D currently doesn't export multiple UVs.

La, la, la.

14. Foxxis

Foxxis

What I meant was a way to automatically set up multiple collections of polygons to use the same part of a texture without having to manually edit the UVs to match. If a function for it is already in there, I do have to read the manual again... :)

15. Marble

Marble

Don't do that! Life is already too short. :wink:

It would be nice if there was a feature like that. It may be possible, but I'm not sure. There's certainly a lot to Bodypaint that one might never discover without being told it's there.

16. terransage

terransage

dfvdan wrote:
    Yes, that's the problem I was referring to. Complex UV-mapping on a single object and a lightmap just won't work together when imported from C4D to Unity (as far as I know, anyway). I remember reading that you need the vertex baking of Maya (or Modo?) to do it correctly. I got Modo a little while ago, but I still haven't figured out how to do it, or if you can do it. Still, I really like C4D in every other way. It's great for modeling, Bodypaint, simple UV-mapping with lightmaps and baking of all kinds. I can work with it as fast as I did with Blender.

So for now, it's the workarounds, which seem to be fine, as long as I optimize with scripts, visibility cullers and combineChildren. :)

17. terransage

terransage

Here are some more screenshots of the area under construction. I removed all of the scaffolding, tarps, wheelbarrows, cement mixers and trowels.

Attached Files:

18. jeremyace

jeremyace

Good call. Last thing you want is a lawsuit when someone trips over that junk.

Looking good, very creative.

-Jeremy

19. terransage

terransage

Thanks, jeremyace! This level might be overkill, though, because the game is nothing more than an elaborate version of tic tac toe. :wink:

jeremyace said:
    This cracked me up. I've been to the top of the Sears tower, and I don't think anyone would want to catch anything falling from there!

20. jeremyace

jeremyace

You are not serious are you? Geez, if this is tic-tac-toe I'd hate to see you work on a "complex" project.

Heh, that is a quote from good old Steven Wright. One of my fav quotes.

-Jeremy

21. drJones

drJones

looking good terransage ; )

isn't that jack handey (deep thoughts)? i remember seeing someone on here has the "mile in his shoes" quote in their sig also.

22. jeremyace

jeremyace

Could be, I don't remember exactly where I got it, but Steven Wright has similar ones also.

Btw, I had the mile in his shoes one ;-)

-Jeremy

23. terransage

terransage

jeremyace said:
    Yeah, I was kidding. It's going to be a little like Myst, where you try to piece together puzzles (in this case, mostly word puzzles that act as keys for unlocking all kinds of things, finally leading to the resolution of a mystery). I'm being a little secretive about it, because there are some experimental aspects to it that I have to test, just to see if they will work.

Right now, however, all I'm doing is building the level. It's taking a long time, because I only have about an hour or two each day to work on it, between the chain gang and the solitary confinement. Sorry, I'm kidding about that last part.

drjones and jeremyace wrote:
    I've been repeating the mile in his shoes quote to some of my friends, and they find it pretty funny. For some reason the only Steven Wright joke I can remember was when he said that one day he accidentally tried to open his front door with his car keys and started up his house.

24. jeremyace

jeremyace

Hour a day, that is a pain for sure. And if you are not in solitary confinement, perhaps you should be?

"I had some eyeglasses. I was walking down the street when suddenly the prescription ran out."

"I live on a one-way street that's also a dead end. I'm not sure how I got there."

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

Classic stuff.

Oh, and I loved Myst and Riven. Good games. Good to see someone keeping adventure games alive.

-Jeremy

25. drJones

drJones

ahh, knew i saw that somewhere ; )

"I wish I had a Kryptonite cross, because then you could keep both Dracula AND Superman away."

26. terransage

terransage

Steven Wright was always one of my favorite comedians--low-key and smart. I was never crazy about the ones you scream at you and rub their jokes in your face.