Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Screenshot Creator - Create screenshots at any resolution within Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DarkArts-Studios, Sep 29, 2014.

1. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

This project is currently being supported. At the moment you can only save in the one format (png) however we have an update branch (still in testing) that has multi-format support starting with raw TGA format (for speed) which will expand to other formats once that infrastructure is there.

We're also looking into an alternate source release (or at least source included as a zip) for those that prefer source access.

Regarding that ugui bug: we have a few experiments in mind for next year to address that. Since Unity 5's release and the removal of the differences between "indie" and "pro" versions of Unity there are a few more options available to us in order to work around the problem and I'm fairly confident a solution can be found to this in 2016.

Victor_Kallai likes this.
  2. richardh

richardh

I concur.
    I'm doing some scenes that allow the user to position parts of a room and furniture and then take a screenshot of the result. Sort of like a CSI environment for discussion on online forums. I tried to ad a screenshot system version for webplayer but couldn't do it. So THIS is idea if you can implement runtime screenshots.

3. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

@DarkArts Studios

Hello, please add the ability to set the default resolutions. I would have set them directly in the code, but I can't access it for obvious reasons.
    Also, I noticed some strange problems when I try to move the plugin to another folder inside the project. I use some external SVN folders to keep my projects in sync, but I can't include Screenshot Creator in them. After I move the plugin, Unity keep creating the Assets/DarkArts Studios folder. Is there some way to be able to set the path of the plugin to be different, maybe move it into the Assets/Plugins/ folder?

4. sipon

sipon

hi,
    reading all the posts, i've seen there is some issue with Ngui.
    Are they resolved now ?

What do you mean with World space ui ? 2D ui ?
    Does aspect ratio issue is ok now ?

5. hopeful

hopeful

As @DarkArts Studios has not responded here in about four months, my guess is you're more likely to get a reply if you send an email to the support link provided in the asset store for this asset.

6. Udin89

Udin89

Interesting product.....
    But how big the maximum size of screenshot that i can make with this product? Because I'm gonna make 'landscape skybox' with this and it needs 2048x2048 picture for each side

Thanks before

7. Palpoule

Palpoule

After Unity 5.4.0f3 I'm getting this error (non-game-breaking, more like warning):
    get_defaultScreenWidth is not allowed to be called during serialization, call it from OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'CameraScreenshot'.
    See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
    UnityEditor.PlayerSettings:get_defaultScreenWidth()
    DarkArtsStudios.ScreenshotCreator.ScreenshotResolution:.ctor()​

It's a new set of warnings from Unity to discourage from calling Unity libraries in module constructors. So UnityEditor.PlayerSettings:get_defaultScreenWidth() must probably be moved to OnStart() or other.

8. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi @Palpoule

Thanks for reporting this! The good news is I've found a way to work around this and the next update will solve the issue from your perspective. The bad news is that this is a false positive on Unity's side and I want to spent a bit of time creating a clean example and reporting the issue to them. It won't affect Screenshot Creator though as I'm fairly certain I can work around the problem there should be an update in by the end of this week, I'll let you know when it's ready.

9. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@Udin89

The maximum supported screenshot size depends on your own graphics card (not your monitor, your graphics card) - whatever the maximum individual texture size your card can support is the maximum - generally this is related to your graphics card's RAM. I've personally, quite successfully, taken shots of 8192x8192

10. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey man... good to see you back on... when will we have the video feature for this tool...? I would love to be able to get some really good frames for my demo reel done and this looks like it will do it well... is there an eta on the video capture feature? Thanks man.

DarkArts-Studios likes this.
  11. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Version 1.4.4 is now available

* More Unity version compatibility tweaks (the entire Unity 4.X series now have custom builds and deploys to the store for each Unity major version to ensure Screenshot Creator compatibility)
    * Fix (remove) false warnings from Unity reported in Unity 5.4.0 and above [ @Palpoule ]

hopeful likes this.
  12. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi, yes I've been away for a while :( - video recording has shown a few problems during testing. It is, theoretically, close to being complete however there have been instances of unity crashing (generally when buffering and running out of ram) - I want to try a few more things before I'm certain about giving out at ETA. That said, I want it to be in the next major Screenshot Creator release (1.5). At barest minimum it will appear as an "experimental feature - tread carefully - please report issues" - until it's more stable.

KRGraphics likes this.
  13. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Understood... and also too, there are moments in the game view shots where I don't get all of my Post FX... like they are disabled.. does this happen to you?

14. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

If you're able to isolate exactly how / when this happens it would be greatly appreciated. I've not seen this happen. Is it specific effects that are always missing or is it, as you said above, "moments" where they are not there?

15. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys... I just updated to the latest version of this asset, but it is creating black screenshots... anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: My bad, had the alpha button on

hopeful likes this.
  16. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Glad you sorted it out :)

17. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Actually I am surprised that this tool didn't pick up the models alpha... I am just glad I have this working

18. punk

punk

19. Michaelbgdrs

Michaelbgdrs

@DarkArts-Studios

Tried several times with email , NO RESPONSE at all.

Bought Unity plus (same as pro ) nothing , on key press runtime IS NOT WORKING.

Can you kindly come up with a solution to save on runtime (and working on build app / game of course).

Losing my almost unlimited patience here.

If you cant make it work take it down from the store NOW.

20. rifaterdemsahin

rifaterdemsahin

Looks nice. Wonder if it is still supported?

21. Kivak

Kivak

22. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Using this on Unity 5.6.1p2 on Mac freezes unity when you press screenshot button. I can still save/quit unity but I can't click on anything in the editor and the screenshot was never taken. No errors come up in the console. I've used an older version before and it worked fine a few months ago.

23. noumanriaz

noumanriaz

Getting this error in 5.6.F1
    Kindly suggest a fix, or update for a fix, please.

24. tomszirtes

tomszirtes

Hi with Unity 2017.1.2 I'm getting an error and the editor window is blank. I think Unity have changed the API for this function. Any chance of a fix as its a useful tool for us! Thanks

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.Texture2D.LoadImage'.
    DarkArtsStudios.ScreenshotCreator.DarkArtsStudios.Core.Icons.Fugue.icon (System.String name)
    DarkArtsStudios.ScreenshotCreator.CameraScreenshot.ensureWindowTitle ()
    DarkArtsStudios.ScreenshotCreator.CameraScreenshot.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

25. topofsteel

topofsteel

I'm getting it in 2017.3.0f3

26. game_apps

game_apps

Dosnt work in Unity 2018, please fix it.

Errors:
    GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

27. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi,

I am unable to reproduce this, please see the screenshot I've attached from inside Unity 2018, please make sure you're using the latest, correct version of Screenshot Creator otherwise try re-download it from the asset store. See the about box within this screenshot:

28. game_apps

game_apps

This is what i get in unity 2018.2.4 @DarkArts-Studios
    I really need the fix urgently, could you PM me the patch ?

Attached Files:

29. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Can you please open any one of those error messages up, so that I can get the full details of the error, and send it to:

screenshort-creator@darkarts.co.za ... then I will be able to either get you the current latest version immediately, or make a quick patch for you.

Please include your purchase invoice number in the email and I'll get you a solution as quickly as I can.

30. game_apps

game_apps

31. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi Everyone,

Please note as per @game_apps 's report above with their help we have discovered an issue with Unity 2018.2.4 and will be addressing it more formally in the coming week with an update to the Asset Store. If you're experiencing this issue in the meantime and can't wait until next week for an official then please get hold of me at screenshot-creator@darkarts.co.za and I'll give you something to work with in the mean time.

hopeful likes this.
  32. SureSight

SureSight

Is there an update on this? When can we expect a new version on the Asset Store?

33. Unityaware

Unityaware

I need to create a screen shot to be printed as an A1 poster in high resolution and all the detail of the scene needs to pop out. I tried a free screen shot program but on a screen grab of 6000 x 4000 pixels and more all the detail looks fuzzy and washed out. Can your tool create such enlargement of the game window with all the detail in tact? Thanks.

34. Gua

Gua

@DarkArts-Studios

Currently when I change screenshot path it doesn't get saved. So If a reopen that window Save Location get set to Assets/ScreenshotsAssets/Screenshots.Considering that there default path button. It looks like a bug.

Unity 2018.3

Also I'm not sure how keypress screenshot should work. It's not explained in documentation and I can't get screenshot pressing F10, when game is running, even if screnshot creator opened and configured.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  35. Meceka

Meceka

@DarkArts-Studios
    We have the same problem. "Assets/DarkArts Studios" folder is getting created after every Unity launch.

36. mikef

mikef

@DarkArts-Studios Broken in 2019.2.17f1
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    DarkArtsStudios.ScreenshotCreator.DarkArtsStudios.Vendor.HOEditorUtils.HOSoundUtils.PlayClip

Happens when pressing the take screenshot button

Xain likes this.
  37. Kujo87

Kujo87

any update on this @DarkArts-Studios? Does seem to work at all in 2019.x

unityunity