Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Screenshot Creator - Create screenshots at any resolution within Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DarkArts-Studios, Sep 29, 2014.

1. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@mdrotar I have spent today attempting to reproduce your issue (using nGUI 3.7.7) I have tried the "Anchor Example" as provided with nGUI and added many resolutions in a list and all are performing as expected, top right is in the top right no matter the resolution, same with all the others for all screenshots.

Is it possible for you to please provide me with a small example scene or how to reproduce this?

I will, however, soon be adding a new feature to record multiple frames, at this time I could also add "Advance frame between each shot" as a setting within the resolution list. Unless I hear back from you I will then add this at the time I add that next feature since I'm sadly unable to reproduce the NGUI issue you're experiencing :(

I have been able to reproduce this issue finally :) This is good, it means I can now work on a resolution.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. mdrotar

mdrotar

I was thinking, perhaps in addition to that, it would be useful to expose a "CapturingScreenshot" event that gets raised right before the actual screenshot is taken. That way I could try go through all NGUI elements and manually call Update and LateUpdate on them, as well as update anything else in my own code that needs updating without having to advance the frame. Because if you advance the frame then each screenshot will be slightly different which isn't always okay.
    I don't actually know if just calling Update and LateUpdate are enough to fix the problem but it's worth a try.

3. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@mdrotar : I already have hooks setup, exactly what you're asking for, in my current development build. Would you mind sending an email to " screenshot-creator@darkarts.co.za ", pop your Asset Store order number in the email and let me know it's you, from this forum thread. I'll then send you my current development version (stability disclaimers attached) and you can try out the hooks?

I'd really love to resolve this. My plan was to publicly enable these hooks and then by default ship with a hook script which detects nGUI - and if nGUI is found, does any pre/post screenshot processing required. I will freely admit though that I'm far from being an nGUI guru so most of my work here is trial and error. If we can test this and get it working I can get the next release out sooner and get back to adding features. ie: I'd truly appreciate your assistance in this regard with testing.

[EDIT] @mdrotar : The issue at play here seems to be within NGUITools.cs, specifically:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. static public Vector2 screenSize
    I'm looking into how to feed current screenshot size to that output.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  4. zilu12

zilu12

Great Asset & Amazing Screenshots! I would really like to see this on pitchyourasset.com!

5. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I haven't read all of the posts, but this is EXACTLY what I have been looking for...and I do have a question for you... will you be adding a feature for capturing frames in game? Such as if I want to do a turntable rotation for my models I want to be able to take all of the clips into After Effects and edit them.

Definitely going to buy this.

6. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi @Neptune_Imaging,

I'm not sure what you mean by frames in game? If you mean realtime screenshots, that's already implemented if you have Unity Pro. There is planned to add this support for the free version of Unity as well ( https://trello.com/c/Kyvvypn2 ).

If you mean multiple frames (movie-like sequences) either runtime or in-editor, that's coming as well ( https://trello.com/c/E2UluyBy/) in fact this is planned for the update after next.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood you, however if you follow the above links it will take you to the entire development roadmap and you can see (and vote) for any coming features which will be done in order of most votes first (unless there's a bug, they are always worked on immediately).

If there are any features you'd like to see, also please let me know and I'll add them to the roadmap for voting if I think this would make a good addition.

KRGraphics likes this.
  7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

There is no misunderstanding... :) Great product...

DarkArts-Studios likes this.
  8. minh3d

minh3d

I'm still looking to new update for new uGUI in Unity 4.6

9. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@minh3d : As I responded to your first query (which was a negative review rather than asking here or via support):

This is a bug in UNITY not in Screenshot Creator! Although I am trying to find a solution, there appears not to be much at all I can do until UNITY fixes this issue ... which they have said should be in the next beta, which I am monitoring closely.

See full forum thread with response from Unity here.

Screencaps from above forum:

minh3d likes this.
  10. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@mdrotar and others awaiting nGUI (not uGUI) related fixes. I spent quite a bit of time looking into this and have found what I think is the best solution. This, however, requires quite a bit of work and having had some bad luck recently after an injury to my hand I have not been as productive or provided as many updates as I usually aim to.

I will be submitting an update in the very short term (I'm finished the changes, I'm testing and tweeking) which will encompass all changes I had on my plate excluding (unfortunately) the nGUI related fixes - I will be doing this to get a clean plate so the next update (which will come shortly afterwards as this will have my primary focus over the holidays) can be entirely about anything near and related to nGUI aspect ratio fixes. That next update will be large and incredibly feature rich since many features I had planned for the future have the same base requirements as correcting the nGUI issue. So expect the development roadmap, at least for the following update, to not consider votes as much as usual since features will be cherry picked based on their similarity and base requirements related to fixing nGUI aspect ratio issues.

The (somewhat horrible) nGUI work-around, for now, would be to have your game view at the same aspect ratio and only take screenshots at one resolution at a time. This is NOT by any means a solution, it's simply horrid in my opinion, so nGUI related issues will have my full focus once I've tested and submitted all the other little tweaks I was busy with before the nGUI issues were raised with me.

Again, apologies for the long-waited updates, especially to all my new customers who aren't yet aware that I do in fact update quite frequently. I have had serious issues with my hand and have been unable to be as productive as usual. Don't worry, I've not forgotten you all.

hopeful likes this.
  11. mdrotar

mdrotar

@DarkArts Studios
    Just FYI, I did send an email on Dec 10 to screenshot-creator@darkarts.co.za as you requested and got an automated response "Your request (366) has been received [...]" but I haven't received any follow-up since then. No big deal though, I managed to get the screenshots I need for now.

12. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@mdrotar I received your email, thank you (I should probably have mentioned that). I don't yet have an nGUI friendly build yet which is why I'd not yet sent you one.

13. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

I’d like to announce a Happy DarkArts Twitmass

Do you own one, or more, DarkArts Studios Editor Extensions on the Unity Asset Store?

Tweet about your experience and include @UnityAssetStore and @DarkArtsStudios in your tweet and you will be entered into a draw to win any DarkArts Studios product on the Unity Asset Store. This could either be a different DarkArts Studios product for yourself or even the same product you already own, for a friend. The winner will be given a Unity Asset Store voucher code to claim their prize so you will own it on the Asset Store, forever, including all future updates.

You don’t (yet) own a DarkArts Studios Editor Extension? Then tell us which one appeals to you the most and why, also including @UnityAssetStore and @DarkArtsStudios in your tweet and you will be entered into a draw as well.

However, you know how they say “A picture is worth a thousand words” - so include a screenshot in your tweet of something you’ve created using one or more of our Editor Extensions or something you’d like to do in the future and you will get 2 entries into the draw instead of just one.

Let’s not be “that guy”, You are only eligible for a single entry into the draw per twitter account, unless you add an screenshot to your tweet - in which case you get two entries. So let’s avoid the spam ;)

All tweets in 2014 will be taken into consideration and the winner will be announced in the first week of 2015, starting the new year with a free give-away and opening 2015 “The year of the feature” for DarkArts Studios where all our products will be getting many more updates with some exciting new features.

Happy Holidays everyone, wherever you may be, from DarkArts Studios.

14. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Busy testing the next update, here's a preview of what Screenshot Creator's next release will be able to do:

Video recording right within the Unity Editor.

This video was originally recorded at 1280x720x2 (2560x1440) at 30 FPS

KRGraphics likes this.
  15. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Very nice. Perfect for getting demo reel models from Unity for portfolios. Will this also record with the post effects enabled?

16. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Yes, everything supported within Screenshot Creator for screenshots will automatically be supported for video as well, since they use the same core capabilities. If you're wanting to record at crazy high resolutions you will need the hardware to support it though. I personally don't have a very high end PC so I've added a few tweaks to allow recording at very high resolutions at a decent, end-result FPS, but what you lose is realtime. ie: it'll slow down your unity scene using time scaling so that the resultant video is perfect by rendering frame-by-frame at a rate your own hardware can handle - with all effects kept in-tact. I feel this is a decent solution for those with limited hardware, since it's my opinion that most very high resolution takes would be the kind of scene that's not actual gameplay but more demo reels (as you've mentioned) or scenes where you're using camera paths to show off what you've created.

17. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Here's another little example, recorded at a much lower resolution though (apologies, my 4yr old 500gb hard drive couldn't keep up with this one at a high resolution - definitely time for a PC upgrade for me).

18. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Very nice. Looks like this will be added to my toolset.

DarkArts-Studios likes this.
  19. Michaelbgdrs

Michaelbgdrs

;) Well done.

Any update when its going to be released?

20. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@Michaelbgdrs As I'm sure you can imagine, this is a significant & large update so although I'm still testing and tweaking I can only see this being sent out near the end of next week. Around the 16th. Feature additions are very important to me, however a stable build is more so.

mdrotar likes this.
  21. iamsam

iamsam

Hey,

Excellent plugin, this ought to be included in Unity, its a must have in all respects.

We are facing a bug while using it with code. We have it set to take a screenshot after an event takes place and put it in a specified folder (PC). However sometimes it seems to take the default path and store the screenshots in "Users\LocalLow....". Is there a way to make another folder the default so that no matter what the screenshots are stored in that folder and not in the user folder?

Thanks,
    Sam

22. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi @iamsam ,

The current "Screenshot Manager" component is, admittedly, very limited in it's ability and support. It's a recent addition and will definitely be expanded and improved within the short term. You are correct that currently the save location cannot be altered from Screenshot Manager.

You can however, create your own script to capture screenshots which uses:

DarkArtsStudios.ScreenshotCreator.ScreenshotUtility​

This is, in fact, what Screenshot Manager component uses itself and allows for a lot more flexibility.

In the future, Screenshot Manager will improve and make this easier, for now though, here is the full source code for Screenshot Manager's "TakeScreenshot" function in it's current form. Simply create a new script, yourself, and paste this code into it then you can alter it to save wherever you might like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public string TakeScreenshot( string filename, int width, int height, int scale )
    2. {
    3.     if (Camera.main == null)
    4.     {
    5.       Debug.LogError(string.Format("No current camera to take screenshot: {0}", filename));
    6.       return "";
    7.     }
    8.     Texture2D screenshotTexture = ScreenshotUtility.RenderCamera(
    9.         width, height, scale, true, false);
    10.     screenshotTexture.Apply();
    11.     string fullPath = System.IO.Path.Combine( Application.persistentDataPath, filename );
    12.     byte[] pngEncoded = screenshotTexture.EncodeToPNG();
    13.     Destroy(screenshotTexture);
    14.     System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(fullPath, pngEncoded);
    15.     return fullPath;
    16. }
    The trick is "fullPath" above, simply change it to what you would like.

I hope this helps.

23. iamsam

iamsam

This is incredible top-notch support.

Wow, we are at a loss of words, we had a patch release tomorrow and you just made our day :). The code works amazingly well and it consistently saves it in the path we need, thanks again.

Glad we purchased all your assets, now we know whom to bug :p in case of problems.

24. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

:) I'm glad you're happy, please feel free to contact at support@darkarts.co.za if I'm slow to respond to these forums, I do try check in here when I have a moment, however the direct contact via support is guaranteed to get a fast response (unless I'm asleep ;) ). Please take a moment to rate and or review, this goes a great deal towards helping us publishers on the Unity Asset Store.

25. Gaurav-Gulati

Gaurav-Gulati

Hi,
    I am very excited to purchase this asset.But i have a query:
    My game has 2 cameras,one for UI(orthographic) and one for 3d scene(perspective).
    Is this possible that your asset renders 2 cameras at a time,so that i can take screenshot of whole game i.e UI+3d environment?

26. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi Guarav,

Absolutely yes. There are two camera modes: "Automatic" in which all active cameras are automatically detected as they are used within your scene to create the screenshot, or "Manual" in which you can choose and add as many cameras as you would like.

Please note with regards to UI:
    1. The old style Unity GUI (OnGUI) is not captured if created from script
    2. The new style Unity GUI (nGUI) is currently only captured if it's used in "World Space" - this is a limitation of Unity itself and they consider it a bug and will, in the future, be fixing that ( see this forum thread for more details ).

27. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hello,

I just got Screenshot Creator but I'm having problems starting it up. I tried both in playing and non-playing mode, but each time I go to Tools > Screenshot Creator > Create Screenshot, then click the "+" button to add a resolution, I start having an infinite list of log errors:

Code (csharp):
    1. System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    2. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    3. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    4. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    5. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:241)
    6. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:234)
    7. UnityEditor.HostView.SendUpdate () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:291)
    8. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/EditorGenerated/EditorApplication.cs:231)
    I'm on Unity 4.5.2f1, Windows 7.

I checked in the Issues section of the manual but couldn't find anything on this matter.

28. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@Izitmee Thank you for reporting this, we have received another report of this happening yesterday and are already busy working to resolve this. I will post an update as soon as it has been fixed.

29. Demigiant

Demigiant

Great :) By the way, everything works perfectly if you use the "add default resolutions" button (can't remember the exact label but you know what I mean). This bug only happens if there are no resolutions and you press the "+" button.

30. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey there... I am about to purchase this screenshot tool and I was going to ask you if this is working with Unity 5 beta 21? I went into the asset store and I got a compatibility warning, and I just want to make sure it is functional.

31. Landci

Landci

Just bought it and wanted to test , this still doesn't work with NGUI!
    i tried automatic and manual camera setup.
    So any hints on how to fix it or do you still have to reset resolution for every time?
    Because then this thing is worthless

32. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Neptune_Imaging & @DarkArts Studios A few days ago I quickly imported Screenshot Creator on Unity 5.0.0f3 and used it to grab a few screenshots, so it seems it's working. Though after taking a screenshot Unity's Editor started stuttering, even if I closed SC's panel, and I had to restart it.

@DarkArts Studios Each time I close and reopen the Screenshot Creator panel (both on Unity 4 and on Unity 5.0.0f3) all my settings (resolution, save folder, etc) are forgotten and I have to setup everything once again. I suppose/hope this is not normal?

33. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

I'm hoping to use Unity 5 for production-quality realtime rendering for CG filmmaking. So the ability to take 4K to 8K screenshots with all camera effects would be a perfect solution. And I'm very happy to see the Video Capture feature in the works as well!

So I just bought Screenshot Creator (hoping it would work fine in Unity 5) and imported it into a basic Unity 5 project that also has PlayMaker. I got the following errors when I tried to open the editor window for Screenshot Creator. The window won't open and when I relaunch the project, it freezes. It's currently completely unusable unfortunately. On Mac 10.10.2 Yosemite and Unity 5.0.0f4.

Full error:
    Any advice?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  34. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi @Xander Davis ,

Thank you for the detailed report as well as the support email you submitted.
    We have, at this moment, a fix in place on our own systems and are testing our solution. As soon as we've happy that this is solved an update will be sent out. When that happens I will let you know by posting here again as well as via our support system.

35. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hey @DarkArts Studios our other new issues? Serialization of Screenshot Creator settings is gonna be implemented? Any idea of the release date?

36. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@Xander Davis , @Izitmee and everyone else:

Screenshot Creator v1.4.1 is now available to download as an update, changes as follows:
    • Fixed error when adding first resolution to resolutions list
    • Added display of aspect ratio within resolutions list & preview title bar
    • Mac on Unity 5 only:
      • Fixed a crash on screenshot window opening [upstream ReorderableList update]

Izitmee: We're hoping to add serialization (in the form of explicit save/load of presets) to the next major update (v1.5)

Xander-Davis likes this.
  37. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Thank you so much for this swift update. I've been delayed in getting you more info on some of the further issues, but here we go:

One in particular now is how Screenshot Creator seems unable to render the frame at all (on Mac) once I switched the Rendering Path to Deferred and Color Space to Linear (after watching Unity's official Unity 5 Lighting overview tutorial video and setting it to their recommendations to leverage full effects). I also need to use Cinema Pro Cams, since they simulate standard 35mm film cameras and lenses. I tried turning off all camera effects one by one to see if this improved the scramble and it didn't. UPDATE: I also tried this with normal cameras and got the same scrambled result.

Screenshot of workstation, camera panel (with all effects added), and Screenshot Creator panel (don't mind the VERY work in progress scene):

Notice how the preview panel (and screenshots captured alike) are scrambled. Full devblog here with examples of full-quality shots directly screenshot using Mac OS (Command + Shift + 3) from the editor at a Maximized Game window (2.5K) : http://blog.xanderdavis.com

If we can resolve this, then we can examine the shadow issue. Basically, it would (most of the time) successfully capture a 1920x800 2K CinemaScope frame, but if I would double that for 4K Scope, it would drop realtime soft shadows and [even baked shadows - actually it keeps those] and I'd have to restart Unity to get them back. I have 8GB of RAM in a 4-year old iMac at this point (after I baked Occlusion Culling)... looking to upgrade soon but hope I wouldn't have to for a screenshot.

Thanks for your help. Let me know if you need anything else, any more details, etc...

UPDATE 2015.03.11 : I changed the render path back to Forward because Deferred's anti-aliasing was awful. Also switched Color Space back to Gamma. It works again (successfully takes screenshots). So I guess the scramble above is a non-issue if I don't want to work in Deferred. But when I did a 4K screenshot, it dropped realtime shadows but kept baked lighting in tact. I'm also now getting 60+ fps when I run this scene with all camera effects on (I'm not sure why performance suddenly got excellent), so it appears performance is strong enough that we should be able to get a 4K screenshot.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  38. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Just purchased this asset... it's perfect :)... if I could make a suggestion for an update, perhaps we could include the ability to fade out the overlay image, such as for a watermark :)

39. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Bump. I am having a blast playing around with this asset.. I was going to ask if there are any new updates... particularly with recording within Unity...

40. Michaelbgdrs

Michaelbgdrs

Greetings @DarkArts Studios

any news on the animation recording?

Thank you very much.

41. Michaelbgdrs

Michaelbgdrs

This is officially dead right?

42. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

It certainly looks that way. It's a shame. I was gonna get this asset if it worked with Unity 5.

43. hopeful

hopeful

You should PM @DarkArts Studios or send an email to support if you need help.

Forum owners sometimes do not receive an email alert when someone posts in the thread.

44. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

I'm not looking for help. I'm looking to purchase a screenshot asset that its developers are interested in.

If you have the time to hunt for an e-mail address then I commend you. Please post the address on this forum page.

45. hopeful

hopeful

You have the time to write that message on the forums, but you don't have the time to go to the asset in the store and click the support email link?

46. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi Everyone,

I was sent a support message about the recent messages on here. For some reason I've not been getting notifications of messages on the forum. I'll look into that too and make sure to check in here more often until I can figure out why I've not been receiving notifications. The most trusted way, as @hopeful suggested above, is always to get us directly via our support system (thanks @hopeful ).

This project is definitely not dead. It does support Unity 5 and will be getting more updates, current estimate for the next large update is during the course of July, probably with a minor update with some simple tweaks and adjustments prior to that.

@Michaelbgdrs & @Neptune_Imaging : The animation recording was ready (and being tested) on Unity 4. Unity then released Unity 5 and we decided to hold back on releasing that update (and testing more) while Unity 5 matured for a few months rather than releasing something that could possibly break in the first large update. With Unity 5.1.x being out it's reached a maturity level where we're back to testing this feature.

Again I'm sorry I missed so many messages and I'll be sure not to trust the notification systems any more and check in here personally more often.

47. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Is this feature still coming?

48. sameer-mirza

sameer-mirza

Hi @DarkArts Studios , I've just recently bought your plugin in order to render screenshots including post-processing effects. I am, however, unable to use it with the following plugin https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/37214
    It just renders a white image. I guess it's the technique being used by the supersampling plugin but could you have a look and tell me if it's possible to have this work with SuperSampling_AA turned on?

49. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision

Hi DarkArts Studios,

This project is still alive? Thanks,

50. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

@DarkArts Studios

Hello, I just bought the plugin, it's really unfortunate that the unity guys have not fixed the ugui bug yet.
    Just a quick question, is it possible to set for photos to be saved either as png or jpg?
    Or, if the project is no longer supported, can you at least release a version with the source code, so we can modify it ourselves?