Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Screenshot Creator - Create screenshots at any resolution within Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DarkArts-Studios, Sep 29, 2014.

1. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

logo.png

Screenshot Creator will create screenshots at any resolution directly within Unity. Add multiple overlay images, scale and position overlays with pixel accuracy. Take screenshots from any scene camera at any time whether in edit or play mode. Real-time preview window follows your view & allowing you to perfectly align your images.

v1.2 added Multiple Camera & ingame (runtime) support.

Website & Sign up for news

Asset Store Page

Development Roadmap & Feature Voting

Unity 4.0.0

screenshot-creator-1.png

Screenshot example taken in with Screenshot Creator (using Assets by 3DForge):

screenshot-creator-1-shot.png

Unity 5.0.0b

screenshot-creator-2.png

Screenshot example taken with Screenshot Creator (using Unity 5 demo doll):

screenshot-creator-2-shot.png

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  2. Cascho01

Cascho01

Are posteffects like Vignetting recorded accuartely in all resolutions ?

3. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

It's recorded exactly as you would see in the game view by that respective camera. As it shows in the game view, is how it'll be shot. Screenshot creator leverages your existing cameras directly, through the editor. Certain effects require you to take the shot in play mode rather than while in edit mode for exactly that reason ... to ensure you get the shot (at whatever resolution you like) with exactly the in-game-correct effects.

4. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@Cascho01 : Here are two quick screenshots with and without post-effects (scene camera vs main camera), the one with post-effects includes Vignetting. These in fact weren't even taken in play mode, simply in normal edit mode.

5. Cascho01

Cascho01

So, it is possible to save large screenshots in Standalone Mode including post effects - right?
    Cool.
    What formats can be saved (png/jpg)?
    Price?

6. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

It'll be arriving on the asset store at $10 It will remain at that price " 50% off " until the next major feature, which is being worked on, is published. Once that feature set is live it will settle at it's normal/final price of $20.

7. Cascho01

Cascho01

Ok. Nice.
    Do you consider to implement a feature for Webplayer, where a Screenshot could be uploaded to a webserver using WWWForm? Would surely buy it then....

8. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

A point to note, this is not for in-game, this is for in-editor. This will not create screenshots from inside any build this is only for developers to create media, wallpapers etc at any resolutions you like not restricted by monitor capabilities.

It could certainly be extended to upload to a webserver, although personally I do not see much value in that. That said though I will add it to my future-feature list :)

9. Cascho01

Cascho01

Ok :(
    For non game clients (e.g. architects, ...) it is a very useful feature to get highres-screenshots, also from webplayer.

10. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Noted. I can understand the need. I will look into this for a future update. Thank you very much for your feedback and input!

kenshin likes this.
  11. Cascho01

Cascho01

You´re welcome, I believe it should not be too hard to rewrite the code so that it will also work in runtime?
    The uploading to a server is easy and documented in the unity docs.

12. kenshin

kenshin

Absolutely +1! :)

13. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@Cascho01 & @kenshin : You have been heard. I will try get this feature into one of the first updates to Screenshot Creator once it's live. Please note however, due to Unity imposed run-time limitations this feature (runtime HD screenshots), if implemented, will Require Unity Pro. In-editor screenshots however will work on all versions of Unity (Free/Indie & Pro).

14. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Unfortunately it seems my banner images didn't pass the Asset Store vetting team and Screenshot Creator's back in queue after I adjusted to standards. I'm putting this live with a 50% off introductory offer, we as asset publishers are not allowed to add badges to the primary product banner indicating this (I thought we could do so if it wasn't too large or in the way). Anyway, it will be 50% off at time of launch, just not indicated as such on the primary banner, only within the description text.

In the mean-time, have some Unity 5 screenshots taken with Screenshot Creator while we wait for it to go live on the store ...

15. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

16. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

You guys are awesome! Screenshot Creator's not even been on the store 12 hours and it's already 6th place (by popularity) within it's category!

I'm already working on a feature update for the end of this week as a HUGE thank you for all the support!

17. Cascho01

Cascho01

Can´t wait to see the Runtime-Version :)

DarkArts-Studios likes this.
  18. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@Cascho01 : I only have one feature that's been requested more than runtime & that's such an easy thing I'm going to try finish it by the end of this week (choose multiple resolutions and one press takes multiple screenshots). Then I'll move on to runtime ability for the following update.

19. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Screenshot Creator v1.1 is now live on the Asset Store. The biggest new feature being multiple screenshots, at different resolutions, with a single click:

Full change list for v1.1 as follows:
    • User Interface Improvements (mostly cleaned up wasted space)
    • Snapshot sound when taking a screenshot
    • Multiple simultaneous screenshots at different resolutions
    • Fixed several bugs and optimized performance
    • Fixed a crash where it attempted to index selected camera when no camera was selected

20. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi Guys,

& specifically @Cascho01 & @kenshin

I've opened a "Feature Voting Board" so that I can, from this point, drive the development of Screenshot Creator based on your feature wants by votes.

If you'd like any other possible features added to this board feel free to message me with your ideas.

From this point on the Roadmap for development will be driven by community voting:

21. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

Does the plugin support taking a screenshot through multiple cameras?

We have a multiple layered camera setup and I was wondering if Screenshot Creator only supports a single camera or if it can also support layered cameras.

22. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi @dreasgrech , The current version (as available on the Asset Store) does not unfortunately, however that's set to change in the short term. You are not the first to request this feature ( Screenshot Creator Development Roadmap ).

Support for layered camera setups will be coming in the short term.

23. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@dreasgrech I see you voted for it as well. After giving this some thought, although I've not used that functionality much myself (layered cameras). I'm of the opinion this is a "show stopper" as far as being able to render absolute and "correct" screenshots and I've moved it to the top of the list. As soon as I'm done with adding in-game ability (since this was already in progress prior to making the roadmap publicly accessible) I will be adding layered cameras next. I had a quick look through the project source code and it's my opinion this will be a relatively quick feature to add. Expect this to be within Screenshot Creator soon.

24. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

That's great to hear, thanks! We'll be purchasing as soon as the feature's in.

Thanks again,
    // Dreas.

DarkArts-Studios likes this.
  25. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Progress update toward next release.

1. Runtime Screenshot taking is complete (without the ability to add image overlays yet)
    2. Scripting API is complete, example below this used at runtime (take screenshot, use it in a GUITexture)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class TakeScreenshot : MonoBehaviour {
    5.     public Camera camera;
    7.     private GUITexture guiTexture = null;
    9.     void Start()
    10.     {
    11.         guiTexture = GetComponent<GUITexture>();
    12.     }
    14.     void Update()
    15.     {
    16.         if (guiTexture == null) return;
    18.         if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Space))
    19.         {
    20.             this.gameObject.SetActive( false );
    22.             Texture2D cameraRender = DarkArtsStudios.ScreenshotCreator.ScreenshotUtility.RenderCamera(
    23.                 camera, Mathf.RoundToInt( Screen.width/2f ), Mathf.RoundToInt( Screen.height/2f ), 1, false );
    25.             cameraRender.Apply();
    27.             guiTexture.pixelInset = new Rect(-cameraRender.width/1.5f,-cameraRender.height/3,cameraRender.width,cameraRender.height);
    28.             guiTexture.texture = cameraRender;
    29.             this.gameObject.SetActive( true );
    30.         }
    31.     }
    32. }
    So what's missing from runtime?
    1. Image overlays (already mentioned) : This will come (that's why we have Texture.apply() separate, for speed optimization)
    2. A friendly Screenshot Manager component / gameobject that you can (re)use. This too will come
    At this point, for the next release, I'm pausing work on runtime work and consider this "enough" for the next update. I'm pausing due to the overwhelming requests for multiple cameras and layered rendering support (both in-editor & runtime). I consider this a problem as certain customers are unable to capture screenshots. Once this has been completed (during the course of this week) and submitted to the Asset Store I will continue with what's missing from runtime.(as mentioned above) and do a quick update with those additions.

26. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@dreasgrech : The feature you requested will be in the next update. It's "feature complete" and entered the testing phase.

27. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Screenshot Creator v1.2 is now available on the Asset Store.
    • Multi-Camera support. This is experimental.
    • The beginnings of the scriptable API (documentation to follow, example in this forum, pasted above this post, is valid)
    • Fixed a bug where screenshots didn't save when odd characters (eg semi-colon) existed in Game, Scene or Camera names
    • Lighting mode toggleable now within preview window and screenshots. This behaves in the same manner as the scene view's lighting toggle.
    Unity Pro Only:
    • Realtime (in-game) Screenshots, with API to go with it
      • In the next release a Screenshot Management component/gameobject will join to help manage this.

28. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

50% Discount will end 24 hours from now at approximately 1pm GMT, Thursday 23rd

29. Teila

Teila

Does this require Unity Pro? Thanks.

30. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@Teila No it does not require Pro

Teila likes this.
  31. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

Hi,
    just bought it and I like it from the first view.

I have only some problems with a flickering Screenshot-Creator Editor Window. (The weired thing is that this happens only in a couple of projects . I made some test but I can't see what the problem could be.)

Another point is that the preview image auto resizeing is not optimal. When I want to see the whole settings I have to make the window wider but then the preview window region gets larger. Would be better if the size (height) of the preview would be fixed and could only be changed with the mouse.

The Overlay Image feature is cool but the preview doesn't correspont with the real screenshot you made. There is some difference with the scaling. The overlay image doesn't scale in the preview when you resize the window.

Apard from this it is a very useful tool. Looking for the upcoming features.

32. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi @sloopidoopi

Welcome :)

I have had a single report so far of flickering Screenshot Creator Editor Window. Are you (perhaps) using UFPS in those projects where you are experiencing this? If not, any other details would be greatly appreciated. I only had one report of this so far but with yours making a second I need to fix this immediately and any additional information would be greatly appreciated by myself as well as the other user that has experienced this.

I agree 100% that the preview window is not optimal. I have been giving this some thought myself and agree that an adjustable height would definitely suite this better. I think, additionally, it should be optionally dockable allowing for it (the preview section) to float out as a separate window completely. I have added this to the development roadmap here: https://trello.com/c/pfBGJf0A -- please add your vote ;)

The overlay tries to be 1:1 unfortunately within the preview, you are correct, it's misleading. I consider this a bug (personally) and this will be escalated and you will have a fix with the next update (https://trello.com/c/cfYkleZa). If you would like, send me an email at screenshot-creator@darkarts.co.za and I'll ensure you have that fix by Friday at the latest.

I'm sorry your first experience was several issues. I will aim to rectify them all for you ASAP.

33. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

Sounds great! This is hardcore customer support :)
    To the flickering issue: I made a couple of test but it is really strange. I had two different projects . In the one I had no problems, in the other where the flickering appears I deleted one Asset after the other. At the end the two projects contains the same stuff but the problem was still there. Perhaps there is some editor GUI bug. in my own Asset I also had once some rendering problems with the editor. As far as i remember it was an issue with editorguilayout.begin/close.

34. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Only an hour & a half of 50% off sale time left for Screenshot Creator as well as my other asset GUI Generator.

35. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

Hi there

The screenshot creator looks nice, but I'm hesitant to buy it, because on all screenshots that one can see in your video, it shows your watermark on the bottom right corner of each screenshot. Is this always like that? Will I have your watermark on all of the screenshots that I will take?

36. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Thank you for the feedback @Parallaxe I will improve the screenshots.

Those were just examples, you can add (or not) as many or as little (defaulting to no watermarks at all) to your screenshots.

Many people asked for this feature so I showed it off a lot. Of course I used my own logo as an example ;)

My logo isn't even included in the asset I would never force something like that on customers.

I hope this clears it up, and again thank you for mentioning this, I will improve my supplied examples.

37. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

Hi there

Thanks a lot for your reply. Just bought SC (-:

38. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Great to hear :) Feel more than free to share some screenshots I'd love to see what you guys are all doing with this asset :)

39. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@Parallaxe I just noticed the time ... you only just just made it in time ;)

40. kenlem

kenlem

Hi,

I just bought this last night and love it. It's useful and pretty polished. I'm working on getting some artwork ready for print and this is perfect.

I did find a couple of issues.

1. I had my target platform set to Android and when I got to take a picture, it throws and error about not being able to load an OGG file. I changed the target platform to desktop and pictures work fine.

2. I'm using PostFX on my main camera and they don't show up on the screen shots. I tried another project that users some of the default Unity Image Effects and those show properly. Any suggestions?

3. I tried to render a huge image 10,000 x 10,000 and aborted when I couldn't tell if it was working or not. That should work, right? It will just take a long time?

Thanks.

41. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi @kenlem ,

I'm glad you've found it useful, and thank you.

I'll answer your questions below.

1. That's a bug, I know what's happening and have recorded it ( https://trello.com/c/p6CTEvwK ) you will have a fix within 24 hours.

2. Can you please give me the name of a specific post effect that does not work for you and I will look into this immediately. If these are definitely on the same camera I would like to figure out why this isn't working. Some post-effects do indeed use a different camera (which is why I recently added multi-camera support) however even the current multi-camera support is experimental and personally I'm unhappy about how it's interface works. I definitely (at minimum) want it to auto-detect scene settings and setup cameras automatically (added to development roadmap here: https://trello.com/c/1b4OLpfh )

3. This should work (as long as your graphic card has the memory to handle it). I have added two new additions, again to the development roadmap, in order to deal with this:
    - https://trello.com/c/nT96uvFc : Improve screenshot performance
    - https://trello.com/c/Bl4eTpX9 : Look into improving progress indication (especially for super large screenshots)

Thank you for this great feedback! Lots of work for me ;) however I think everyone will benefit greatly. Especially thank you for reporting the bug (android target) as I'm sure others would have experienced this down the road as well.

42. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

After some tests I can reproduce the problem with the flickering: When you use the linear colorspace in the player settings the problem comes up. :confused:

43. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Fantastic @sloopidoopi ! Thank you SO much for putting in the time to isolate this problem. I'll look into it immediately and report back. I'll have a solution shortly. I have, in the meantime, added it to the development roadmap here: https://trello.com/c/7WOOi5YT

You will be able to track it's progress.

44. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi Everyone,

Because a few of you had issues I decided not to complete the new features for v1.3 before I fixed these, so I've submitted a hotfix to the Asset Store and you should be able to download the new version which fixes a few issues some of you experienced.

Screenshot Creator v1.2.1
    • Fixed camera sound issue when target build environment did not support Ogg Vorbis ( @kenlem )
    • Correct size of overlay images in preview window to correctly represent final screenshot ( @sloopidoopi )
    • Fix an issue with Screenshot Creator window flickering in the linear colourspace ( @sloopidoopi )

... now back to work on the next Feature release which will contain the ability to add text overlays.

45. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

Wow, this was super fast.
    I'm just curious what the problem with the linear colorspace was. (I realize that now the little icons in the editor getting darker in linear mode :D )
    Many thanks!!!

46. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

The issue seems to be Unity itself (or perhaps it's "by design") that said I used to render the preview window from selected cameras inside OnGUI (which kinda made sense) but it appears that Linear Colorspace doesn't like this. What I did is moved my call to render the camera views out of the GUI code and into Update with OnGUI then merely displaying the preview texture and not doing the actual rendering. So fixing the problem was trivial - It took a lot longer to find the actual problem after I managed to replicate it (thanks to you) on my own computer.

As a by product however, I noticed that my rendering code wasn't optimal. You may notice that the preview render is significantly faster and smoother now too ;) I have some more tweaks in mind to optimize this however I'm a great believer in: 1) Make sure it all works perfectly 2) speed it up -- so I'm going to defer further optimization until I have a few more features in.

Edit:
    Short version: Don't call Camera.Render() inside an editor/inspector window's OnGUI or those using Linear Colorspace will have their window(s) flicker.

47. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

Thanks for the info! Always good to know! (Five star review is finished ;) )

48. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

:D Thank you!

49. kenlem

kenlem

Hi,

I just grabbed the latest update. Thanks for fixing the platform bug with ogg.

I just grabbed a sweet screen cap at 8835 x 6165 for print. This is really a super tool.

The image effects I'm having an issue with are PostFX Studio by echoLogin.

http://u3d.as/content/echo-login/post-fx-studio/68s

I can always fake it using Photoshop but would love to have the promo art match the game exactly. I want users to receive exactly what they expect once they download the game.

50. kenlem

kenlem

Does this support anti-aliasing? It isn't for me.