Search Unity

Screen Tearing and Jittering issue in Game Mode view (Unity 2018.1)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DanarKayfi, May 16, 2018.

1. DanarKayfi

DanarKayfi

Hi,

Am i the only one who experiencing a Screen Tearing and Jittering issue in Game Mode view.
    Note: im using Unity 2018.1.0f2 on macOS 10.13.4
    its very noticeable when you zoom in & out ... or run the game and move in the scene

Help please...

better_walk_away likes this.
  2. ssfootball

ssfootball

Same issue here. It was fine in 2017.4.3, but as soon as I upgraded to 2018.1, I started to get screen tearing. I have tried all of the vsync options, and have also tried limiting framerate via Application.targetFrameRate, but nothing has helped. I'm also on Mac 10.13.4.

I noticed this in the release notes, but not sure if it's related at all:
    Editor: Fixed Metal Editor always having vsync enabled in OSX 10.13. (1009685)

Lu4e, Deeeds and DanarKayfi like this.
  3. DanarKayfi

DanarKayfi

This is really sad, any idea if it fixed in Unity 2018.1.1 ?

4. proto_monkey

proto_monkey

I have 2018.1.1f1 and I am still experiencing constant framerate drops and it happens even with an empty project. The profiler shows the drops and gfx.waitForPresent and EditorOverhead are the top two items on the list for time.

I'm on macOS 10.13.4

I can't see ever moving to a Unity plus/pro if this is the kind of thing that happens on the regular. Framerate is fine in 2017.3.1f1, so moving to the newer version makes no sense. This is a severe issue.

I checked the tracker, but only things that possibly could be the issue is 964953 , but it says that is fixed in 2018.2.0a2

So it seems like I'm going to have to wait to even think about moving to a 2018 build. Seems like it's gotta be mac specific or more people would be upset about it.

DanarKayfi likes this.
  5. DanarKayfi

DanarKayfi

Yea, btw i updated to 2018.1.2 and the screen tearing in the editor still exists :(

6. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

My game feels laggy and jittery in the editor. Not so much in the build. Profiler reports that it's performing quite well; I'm certainly not going past my frame budget. And it still feels laggy and jittery. Not sure what the deal is.

7. xue2han

xue2han

I have sent the bug report to Unity.Here is their reply(hope it helps):
    "
    (Case 1033583) [Mac] Screen tearing when moving around the scene in play mode

The developers have seen your bug report and replied that it is by design. Hardware VSync is not supported in the Unity Editor anymore for performance reasons. It was done to achieve a stable 60fps across the app. Look into this bug report for more information: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/950318/
    We are greatly sorry for the inconvenience. Luckily, this bug will not appear in your build application, so it may only bother while playing the game in the editor. If the screen tearing in the editor bothers too much, the quickest workaround at the moment would be to use another OS. It seems that the VSync problem has only bothered the computers with Mac OS.

"

Deeeds and DanarKayfi like this.
  8. ssfootball

ssfootball

Are you sure that's the same issue? It appears that that issue affected 2017.x, while this affects 2018.x. Back when I had the 2018.x version installed, I think that I had the same screen tearing issues in both the editor and the standalone build.

9. xue2han

xue2han

Yes,I think it is the same issue.The bug only happens in Unity2018.x Editor on my mac.The reply says that one bug was found in 2017.x and was fixed in 2018.x which causes the Screen tearing bug in 2018.x Editor

Deeeds and DanarKayfi like this.
  10. DanarKayfi

DanarKayfi

Thanks for clearing this up, i still wish they find an easier workaround for macOS users :(

11. proto_monkey

proto_monkey

What I am seeing is not tearing, but constant choppiness. If you look in the profiler, you can see the framerate drop drastically every few seconds. Locking vsync doesn't change anything.

I'm not sure I am experiencing the same issue as that bug.

I am downloading 2018.1.5 right now. I think I've lost any hope that it's going to be fixed. Sticking with 2017.3 for now I guess. :/

Sure glad I didn't subscribe yet. Would be pissed if I was paying for this headache.

12. Deeeds

Deeeds

Deselect all objects before playing in Play Mode, and/or play fullscreen. It's the updates to the Editor GUI that are causing the issues you see.

13. Deeeds

Deeeds

This is astonishing. Astonishingly bad.

jc_lounge likes this.
  14. Deeeds

Deeeds

Dear Unity Developers

Can we please get another workaround - that works on a Mac?

eg, a switch we can turn on that forces a rendering mode without tearing, regardless of its performance implications?

Needed for working on anything that moves fast. Like particle systems, animations, camera moves, cutscene jumps and transitions, to name a few.

I'm fine with compromises, like it only working in fullscreen via "maximise on play" or by hiding all editor windows other than the playing game. Whatever it takes.

It's very difficult to design fast moving things with tearing.

15. jlcebrian

jlcebrian

Any news about this? Right now, it's very hard to do fine animation or particle work in Unity with all that tearing. The suggested workaround (switch to Windows) is not really acceptable.

jc_lounge and andersemil like this.
  16. andersemil

andersemil

I'm absolutely appalled by this. This should be a checkbox in the editor preferences pane, not a static change in the base code.

jc_lounge likes this.
  17. Milanis

Milanis

I am not sure but i think the same happens on our scene view, using 2018.3.0f1 on Windows 10. Moving the camera is having a small, how could i call it.. "stop" every second which makes the whole effort in testing and calibrating "smooth" character movement unusable.

18. GXMark

GXMark

2018.3.4 is chopping every second on a small scene using a movement camera. How can game development proceed with an engine that can't do the basics correct.

COME ON UNITY LESS OF THE UNITY TIMELINE S*** AND MORE OF THE BASICS DONE WELL

id0 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  19. fben

fben

Having the exact same issue than GXMark with 2018.3.8.

I thought I was missing something obvious but I'm starting to think I'm not

20. DarekRusin

DarekRusin

I've upgraded from 2017.4 (which was working fine) to 2018.4 and I'm horrified. It's tearing so much it's almost unusable for high speed moving scenes. I can't believe this is officially how things are on Mac? Or is there a workaround?

21. electro12

electro12

It is Nov 2019, 1.5 years since this issue appeared. Any solution on the horizon (or a workaround) yet? What is the purpose of VSync toggle switch in Editor then if does't work on Macs?

DarekRusin likes this.
  22. DarekRusin

DarekRusin

Does anyone know if this got any better in the 2019.x branch? Or are we just wishing and keeping fingers crossed for 2020.x? ;)

23. electro12

electro12

Still an issue in 2019.2 :( At least for me anyways (MacOS 10.14.6, Radeon Pro 560X).

DarekRusin likes this.
  24. cemozturk

cemozturk

I did a video for that.

better_walk_away and DarekRusin like this.
  25. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I have a mac with a radeon vii and I don't want to have screen tearing like its 1995 again

26. lharoon

lharoon

I am experiencing this exact issue on a 2018 MacBook Pro with integrated graphics, in the latest 2019 release of Unity (Unity 2019.3.1).

27. jc_lounge

jc_lounge

Wow, just noticed it and came here, now I see this is pretty bad indeed that there's no solution.

28. kloogens

kloogens

I've been chasing my tail with this problem for hours now. So just to make sure, updated my drivers and downloaded Unity 2019.3.15f1 and, no matter what I do I get screen tearing. Windowed, full screen, using build vs editor, tried all the vsync settings, turned off shadows, tried lower resolutions tried forward vs deferred rendering and nothing works. I have a beast for a machine and the scene I'm working with is displaying no more the 10k triangles, one realtime light point light with no global illumination of any kind. This is about as simple as it gets.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  29. funkprobosci

funkprobosci

Recently fell down this rabbit hole myself. Might've lost my marbles without the above conversations. Thanks for the info.

I installed Windows 10 on an iMac (2017 5k Catalina) thru Boot Camp.

Running Unity (2018 & 2019 LTS) in Windows on Mac hardware seems to fix the screen tearing & VSync glitches.

No reply from Unity on my recent Bug Report for MacOS VSync glitch. So far talks with Apple reps haven't given any insight on their end... of course there's always next week's 'announcement'.

30. helloMarknessMyOldFriend

helloMarknessMyOldFriend

Recently switched from LibGDX to Unity to work on a simple 2D platformer. Got as far as implementing parallax for background layers and then I experienced horrid screen tearing like what's being described here. If that's just how Unity works with macOS, then can't see myself working in Unity. Back to LibGDX I guess.

Attached Files:

jc_lounge likes this.
  31. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

I have just stumbled across this issue after purchasing a new Mac for myself. Here is the spec of my Mac:
    MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
    Processor: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
    Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
    Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
    Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 GB

I almost got the highest spec available right now, but I still got this awful jittering effect on Game View.

32. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

33. funkprobosci

funkprobosci

jc_lounge likes this.
  34. Patrick_Machado_

Patrick_Machado_

Im experienceing the same issue on unity 2021.3.3f1

tmgvamphacker likes this.
  35. TimeMirror

TimeMirror

Unity 2021.3.16 LTS
    Yes. Screen Tearing on Mac. In Standalone macOS build. No VSync settings have any effect. Basically unusable. Sad

36. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

Same problem here. Enabling VSync doesn't fix it, it just makes it less obvious. Unity 2021.3.18, MBP M1 Max.

It's sad to see that the issue was tagged as "Won't fix":

"The player VSync Count setting is only used within the Unity Player and it is ignored in the editor context. The best workaround is indeed to use the Game View VSync toggle (which doesn't provide a strong vsync guarantee either, but can help)."

37. Tom163

Tom163

Fun fact: Still an issue 5 years after the initial report.

And this answer:
    > the quickest workaround at the moment would be to use another OS.
    is a joke, right?

"Hey, sorry that your car engine is stalling occasionally. Try using another car." - dude, fix the engine.

matheus_inmotionvr likes this.
  38. simonbrtrnd

simonbrtrnd

I'm relieved to find out that I'm not alone in facing this issue...

I've been struggling with screen tearing in Unity as well. I've tried various troubleshooting steps such as changing the image texture filter mode, toggling VSync on and off, adjusting antialiasing settings, and even disabling post-processing effects.

Despite my 2D game running at 120fps, I'm still experiencing screen tearing. It's quite frustrating...

Next time I make a game with no camera movement

Unifikation likes this.
  39. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I have screen tearing in scene view on mac m1, in playmode with vsync there it no tearing. wish there was smooth scene view vsync too.