Search Unity

Screen Space Reflections (SSR) for Unity by Plawius

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Plawius, Mar 3, 2014.

1. jura_wd

jura_wd

Sorry to hear that...
    Well, we're trying to support our customers and answer all the questions even if the answer is "nope, sorry - this is a bad case for SSR".
    ETA is really based on Unity's fix for post effects + VR combination. I'd say a month after that we will release a new version.

NeatWolf likes this.
  2. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks for your honest answer, I appreciate that :)
    I'm looking forward to that day then, I subscribed to the thread :)

3. FerryvD

FerryvD

Hi, i'm wondering how well this works on mirrors. We're are creating software to design bathrooms and with the Unity Reflectionprobes we get quite some deformation on our mirror reflections.

4. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

Hey Plawius is it possible to test you asset.... i own candela ssr and i don't get this thing working with the HE - Bunker, Hospital, Ghost Town or Haunted House.
    The Demos from Candela works fine and now i don't know if it is candela or the textures from this assets.

I also tested the ssr from unity, but it's the same result.... so i think it is maybe the material or is it because of the modular models? .. hmm no idea :(

5. jura_wd

jura_wd

>Hi, i'm wondering how well this works on mirrors. We're are creating software to design bathrooms and with the Unity Reflectionprobes we get quite some deformation on our mirror reflections.
    Hey! No, sorry. You cannot do mirrors with SSR, because you need to reflect a lot of stuff that's not one the screen.

6. jura_wd

jura_wd

Make sure you have roughness on your material.

7. AbyssWanderer

AbyssWanderer

Hi.

Just wanted to thank you for a great plugin. I had doubts about purchasing something that was updated like 2 years ago, but still bought it (thanks to someone's recent review) - and I'm very happy about this purchase.

Haven't tried in exterior, but in interior looks great:
    http://prnt.sc/e9ux7h

8. jura_wd

jura_wd

Thank you for your feedback :)

9. jura_wd

jura_wd

Hi all!
    So, we've just sent a new version of the asset with VR fix. If you want to get it earlier - please PM :)

10. local306

local306

Hi @jura_wd I was excited to see the VR fix for this asset but unfortunately haven't had any success with it. I am using SteamVR and I tried dropping the required script into the appropriate camera and couldn't get it working. With the script enabled, my screen just renders the last frame indefinitely as if I am always starring at the same location with no reflections. I made sure deferred was active as well as single pass stereo. Anything else I may be doing wrong?

11. jura_wd

jura_wd

Hi all!
    We understand that a lot of people bought this for VR. Unfortunately, VR is hard. We are still working on that, need more time. If you have any questions or want a refund - send your message to our e-mail, or DM to me, please.
    We trying to fix it, and we will fix it anyway

12. Skyfly

Skyfly

Any news about VR? Is there a working configuration (e.g. forward rendering etc)?

13. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

@Plawius

Hi, you mentioned being able to exclude materials I desire from the reflection, can you please be more specific?

14. jura_wd

jura_wd

>Any news about VR? Is there a working configuration (e.g. forward rendering etc)?
    Multi-pass VR works well. The problem that we have is connected to single-pass VR :(
    Forward rendering is not supported by any SSR, since we're using screen normalmap texture, that doesn't exist in a forward pass. Deferred and legacy deferred are supported.
    >Hi, you mentioned being able to exclude materials I desire from the reflection, can you please be more specific?
    Transparent objects are excluded from reflections, so just use transparent ones with alpha == 1, to just put them in the right rendering queue.

15. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

Changing the render queue of a material make it look all weird, like the back face of the geometry becomes visible.

16. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

17. jura_wd

jura_wd

>Changing the render queue of a material make it look all weird, like the back face of the geometry becomes visible.
    Yes, this is a drawback of not writing into the Z buffer. There is another, more tricky way: you can render in layers. But not sure it's really possible without scriptable render loop right now..

>if you could help me figuring out a way of making both work then it would be greatly appreciated
    I see you fixed this:
    >Nevermind, found what makes it work, If I set STS to "Preserve Depth Texture" then it works.
    If not - please tell me more, I will be happy to help

18. redemprez

redemprez

I wonder about quality - I need some nice SSR reflections, don't really care about performacne - it's not for game but for cinematic. Unity's Post-Processing SSR is ok, but I would like to see less this grain on object reflections without blurring them and I wonder is this asset able to do better than that?

Unity Post Processing Stack:

19. jura_wd

jura_wd

If you want quality, you need to take a look at Frostbite SSR or actually some other way of doing reflections (SSR is kinda one big fake). Our SSR is more about speed..

20. ronald-meijers

ronald-meijers

I'm trying to get this to work on various VR headsets, since it says it works in multipass.
    On my Windows Mixed Reality headset it works excellent, however on my HTC Vive the reflections seem to suffer from a lense correction pass, where each eye reflection bends to the opposite side towards the center of the screen.
    Any workaround or fix for this?

21. ghiboz

ghiboz

hi @Plawius @jura_wd ! great plugin!
    I have a question: i've got a issue in this situation: I'm making a racing simulator and the road, also full dry has some reflection (the spec/smooth is a bit bigger of 0)..
    and with your ssr, also at low reflection ratio the spec appear..
    should be possible make it more blur at a low ratio or something 'exponential'?
    thanks

22. skyecrack

skyecrack

I really want to buy this asset, but there are a few things that seem a bit fishy to me (since I've tried all demos and youtube videos);
    1. Why do the reflections gradually bend themselves when looked at at sharp angles? This is the only SSR solution I've ever seen anywhere do this. Because I highly doubt it was a part of optimizations, and even if it is, some people would at least want a toggle between that fast mode and the geometrically correct mode.
    2. It's 2018 and I think it's fair to say that everybody and their mother have moved on to temporal AA, thus why waste all the raymarch iterations when you can set a bigger step size and add jittering? Again, as an option at least.
    3. Much in the same way, I haven't seen how material roughness affects your reflections. Not the normal map, just roughness. Because if it doesn't, that'd be a shame. And I'd like to be proven wrong, since I don't see how is adding several downsampled blur passes for that (or even better, a random vector to normals of the surface from the roughness pass in the G-buffer before raytracing) any kind of a stretch to someone who already knows how to make a good basic SSR.

If I were to go by the community feedback, I'll buy that it's fast, but the speed alone can't justify the price now that you have Unity's own PPS SSR and Charkes' implementation of F***ing Frostbite SSR, both of which are completely free and open source. (the latter having a very nice configurable balance of speed and visuals, in my experience)
    Maybe just for VR, but that's still a way smaller market since VR devs work much more in Forward, which, well, doesn't support SSR at all.

23. jura_wd

jura_wd

@skyecrack
    thanks for good points!
    1. If you want geometrically correct mode - you shouldn't use SSR in the first place
    2. That's not a really correct assumption, but we will try to use some tricks if temporal AA is enabled.
    3. It's just blurred with amount of roughness, yes. Using classical cone tracing will be super slow compared to what we have now.
    We support Forward rendering, by the way.

And I mean, just use Unity's SSR if you want good looking SSR and don't care about your performance. Especially with new HD render pipeline

24. skyecrack

skyecrack

I appreciate the response.

1. I don't think so. Here, to clarify what I meant. Left is Plawius, right is Frostbite (look at the wheels)

Unity SSR doesn't suffer from that either.

2. Great, thank you.

Nope, Unity SSR falls short of both speed and aestethics for my current project. That's why I came here in the first place - to find the best middle ground.

25. radiantboy

radiantboy

wish i hadnt bought this cause im not using the right rendering to use it !!!

26. jura_wd

jura_wd

Sorry, what do you mean? What rendering do you use?

27. radiantboy

radiantboy

it needs forward rendering.

28. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Is this asset still supported at all? Does it work with Unity 2019.2?

NeatWolf likes this.
  29. Plawius

Plawius

It surely works with the latest Unity, and it is supported. Some images for you from 2019.2:

No SSR: no_ssr.jpg

Plawius SSR:
    plawius_ssr.jpg

Unity SSR:
    unity_ssr.jpg

See how dark Unity's SSR is?

NeatWolf likes this.
  30. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

31. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Is there an online manual for this asset so I can take a look through the options before I make a decision to purchase?

32. Plawius

Plawius

This is StochasticSSR:

You cannot see it, but there is a lot of jitter in motion, something is wrong with temporal part, probably. It looks darker than it should be. But generally - more advanced than my SSR.

sssr.png

Plawius SSR:
    ssr.png

Also, my SSR is faster for sure.

33. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Thanks, yours looks nicer to my eyes.

34. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just purchased your asset and it indeed works much better than any other SSR system I have tried so thanks for that. Is there a manual or webpage that explains the settings, there seems to be no docs or help at all that I could find. I know there are not too many options but it would be nice to have an explanation of what each does and its impact on performance etc.

Plawius likes this.
  35. Plawius

Plawius

Thank you for your kind words. I see that you're also selling assets on the asset store, so you know how important it is to have such feedback on the asset store page itself, I would appreciate if you could write some feedback there as well.

I have a description in the first post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/screen-space-reflections-ssr-for-unity-by-plawius.231967/

I also can answer any questions you have. It is really lightweight implementation. I didn't go with cone-tracing, just one ray, using material's smoothness. Then optional blur/downscale on the result and composition.

36. Migueljb

Migueljb

Does this work in unity 2019.2 or 2019.3 using deferred renderer?

37. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Couple of quick questions, is there a more up to date explantion of the settings and what they do available, things like the 'Fade Factors'?
    Second is it possible to say only show reflections if the material smoothness was above a certain value, or is there a simple intensity value to fade the effect in and out from script, if not what would be the suggested way of reducing or increasing the effect via script?

38. r8zbeh

r8zbeh

39. Skyfly

Skyfly

Does it work on standalone VR? Quest, Pico etc?

40. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

yo, put a link to the store in your first post... XD

Do you know if it works on PS4? my xbox SSR doesnt and I'm looking for a performant replacement.

Ok, self answered : "Deferred lighting only. PC/Mac/Linux only" :D

41. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi @Plawius

I would like to get your SSR solution for my android game. Since I already read that it's pc/mac/Linux only, I was asking myself what makes it not run android if I use deferred lightning and open gl 3.2 as graphics API?

Thanks

NeatWolf likes this.
  42. marcell123455

marcell123455

Ok, I took the risk of wasting money but I can confirm. It works on android! At least in my case using open GL 3.2
    Screenshot taken on my phone:
    https://imgur.com/ddDguvt