Search Unity

Screen Space Reflections Noise

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by rakij23922, Nov 15, 2019.

1. rakij23922

rakij23922

Is anyone know why HDRP SSR is so ugly, produse noise and has literaly no controls in volume settings.Is this has any solution to make tham lite and blur smooth like in old good post processing stack v2 ?

same material settings:
    upload_2019-11-15_16-25-42.png
    (a disgusting one)

upload_2019-11-15_16-39-10.png
    (a pretty one)

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Which version are you using? Last time I checked it had a bunch of controls for SSR. (although even with all the settings I couldn't really get satisfying results from it, but you should be able to somewhat improve the first image).

3. rakij23922

rakij23922

Unity 2019.2
    HDRP 6.9.2

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Maybe they added the extra settings in 2019.3 and 7.1.2, since that is what I've been using.

5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You probably have sky reflection enabled. It simply doesn't work properly (it's always crazy artifacts around the object edges), if you disable it, it'll give quite nice results.

For me PPv2 SSR was totally opposite to your experience, I never got anything usable out of it.

6. konsic

konsic

How do you disable it?

Is there a way to improve SSR level of quality and keep preformance ?

7. Olmi

Olmi

@rakij23922 have you added the Screen Space Reflection override in your volume profile?

@AcidArrow both 2019.2 and 2019.3 have the same settings in the override, although the order seems to be quite different in Inspector UI.

2019.2:

2018_SSR_override.PNG
    2019.3:
    2019_SSR_override.PNG

To get some of that "disgusting" look away, just dial in more Max Number of Ray Steps. It will improve the quality.
    Looks to my eye more like a pilot error than fault in the software. It's clear that the settings have changed and the look is not the same but it's still quite usable to my eye.

32 steps:
    SSR_32_steps.PNG
    64 steps:
    SSR_64_steps.PNG

konsic and AcidArrow like this.
  8. rakij23922

rakij23922

ofc hdrp ssr (gosh why they make so complicated names) more accurate, but the old one blurry ssr was better for my design choice

9. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Do profile your project if you go to 64 rays tho, this will have notable effect in the performance, especially on weaker hardware.

10. Olmi

Olmi

@rizu for sure it will have effect (I'd imagine, as it's potentially double amount of steps), the point was just to underline that the image artifacts are something that can be removed.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    MP-ul likes this.
  11. MP-ul

MP-ul

You have to wait one more year for more dissapointments :) I dought that they will fix it without making you switch to unity 2021.3 or something

12. OLGV

OLGV

this is still a problem....

13. Gasimo

Gasimo

I wonder how did the last-gen games made this work with seemingly better results and smaller performance loss. Heck, even the Killzone Mercenary running on mobile hardware (PSVita) managed to have better results at least for me. I am sure there is some technical thing in it with HDRP or just that the team doesnt want to put effort into this until the HDRP is just fully stable, which is understandable. I was wondering if someone knows how could someone port FidelityFX SSR into HDRP and if it would present some performance gain over the current implementation by Unity.

14. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

All SSR filters that Unity has produced over the years have been terrible. That tradition is continued with HDRP as well. Not sure why.
    Wasn't FidelitFX just Stochastic SSR? There are a bunch of Stochastic SSR implementations floating around, although not sure if they play well with HDRP.

15. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

>All SSR filters that Unity has produced over the years have been terrible.

All SSR in the world are terrible. Hope it answer your question :). SSR is by design full of artifacts. If you think Stochastic SSR is great, look at Mirror Edge 2 or Kill zone 5 result ;).

Still agree that the first version we provide with HDRP is below others implementation. We are now providing a better one (call "PBR"), but have also its set of cons and the main one being ghosting.

olavrv, FernandoMK and AcidArrow like this.
  16. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I actually 100% agree that all SSR is horrible, and SSR is actually the only reason / use case where I hope raytracing catches on, so I can raytrace reflections in all games and won't have to experience SSR like reflections any more.

With that said, I do believe there is a sweet spot where (at least for mainly static scenes) : you set up your parallax corrected cubemaps as best as you can and then you put a short distance SSR on top (which can be blurry but it has to be otherwise clean), that quickly falls back to the cubemap, but adds enough to make items look more "grounded" and add some hints of reflection from dynamic objects.

All Unity implementations so far (going back to Unity 5 even) were too artifact ridden (even considering we're talking about SSR), to be able to fulfil that role.

MP-ul likes this.
  17. chingwa

chingwa

Am I the only one here who remembers just a few years ago when Unity did not have any SSR solutions, and people were about ready to lynch the graphics team? I thank the pixel gods everyday for SSR in Unity. (now I'm praying for non-hardware raytracing :D )

Gokcan likes this.
  18. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You are mistaken, they did have an SSR solution, ever since 2016, (or is 5 years "few"? I guess any amount of years is "few" when it's "Unity years") it was just horrible, which I guess your brain registered as them not having one.

Or are you just making S*** up?

19. chingwa

chingwa

@AcidArrow Huh? Anyone with a memory longer than a few years knows I'm not making it up. Calm down guy.

20. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

21. MP-ul

MP-ul

Hope they fix it in 2022.1

Gasimo likes this.
  22. rz_0lento

rz_0lento