Search Unity

Screen Space Reflections issue

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by SpookyCat, Nov 29, 2019.

1. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I am trying to use SSR in my simple project and its working but when a material has a high metallic value and mid smoothness I start to get these bands of color on my scene. The image attached shows the problem. The road has a high metallic setting the area around it a low value.
    ssrissue.jpg
    What is causing that? It is even worse when there are other objects on the scene as I get this halo of these colors around those objects as well. Also I have noticed Ambient Occlusion causes a dark band at the top with SSR as well, is that expected? I have disabled all other post effects to see if there is some clash but it seems not. How do others get SSR to work without this issue? This is using PPS 2.1.7.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  2. Olmi

Olmi

Yes it happens, if you are talking about that fading zone near edges of the screen? I guess it's due to the nature how screen space effects are made toi avoid artifacts. On post-processing stack it's called Vignette and that value controls the fall-off near the edges of the screen.

3. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I have Vignette turned off, that shot has only SSR on.

4. Olmi

Olmi

No I meant the fading in SSR. It's causing that color change, similar to typical lens vignette. I think it was also called that earlier in SSR? Can't check now as I don't have any Unity installs with PPS v2.

I'm talking about this vignette (see in the table on the page, one of the options): https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/wiki/Screen-space-Reflections

Those edges are faded as SSR can't render off-screen items (afaik).

5. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Arr I see :) Seems its doing something wrong then it it decides to fade to black instead of what is on the screen.