Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Screen Space Reflections for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA, Nov 1, 2013.

1. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

New Candela SSRR in-game screenshots plus a first sneak peak at our SSPT CandelaGI : Real-time Screen Space Path Tracing, utilizing a novel approach to super efficient Global illumination solution, more details coming soon.

The game level in the screenshots is using a great asset found here and is called ' Scifi Level Kit ' PS. This level asset is not included in Candela SSRR

What you are looking at is the raw level with no modification and no lightmaps. There is only a few standard Unity point lights and a directional light. You will notice all surfaces are reflective this is done deliberately to show the reflections at work. There is also a Bloom post effect applied to the scene.

Camera 1

$Candela_SSRR_SSPT_GI1.jpg

Camera 2

$Candela_SSRR_SSPT_GI2.jpg

Camera 3

$Candela_SSRR_SSPT_GI3.jpg

Bigger Screenshots can be found on our website www.livenda.com

Cheers!
    Livenda

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. 3

Looks awesome, can't wait to try it out for myself.

3. kaz2057

kaz2057

very interesting.

But it will be possible controll reflection just per singular object / per layer to optimize performance?

Thanks

4. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi LIVENDA

It's Hedgehog Team :) Thanks to illustrate your amazing lightning pack with our asset kit :)

PS : Amazing rendering !

Regards

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Do you have any data on performance impacts?

6. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Yes the reflection amount and 'gloss' factor i.e blurriness can be controlled on per material basis as well as globally.

You're welcome! It's a great asset.

We are collating this data at the moment, the performance of Candela SSRR is similar to the default unity SSAO shader however can be faster in most situations. It's also much less prone to performance spikes due to changing scene complexity.

7. 3

I'm starting to check this almost daily for news. I can't wait to see the next snippet of news. Still no word on a webplayer being available?

8. andreibranescu

andreibranescu

Ok, we get it, it's awesome. Realease it already!
    It was supposed to come out last week.

9. jura_wd

jura_wd

Ok, guys. I was waiting for this, but realized that it's better to implement by myself (btw, 1 week of work in spare time).
    It's not perfect, but it's better to improve that with community, then make you wait.

...here were links..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  10. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

SSR and GI looks great.

Looks like a bit of competition is out now :D

11. Z43D

Z43D

While I'm glad to see another competitor/alternative, it's a bit disrespectful to place an ad for the competition in the same thread, isn't it? Could have made a new asset thread instead...Just sayin'

OH. and the GI and SSR solution look awesome, can't wait to check them out, Livenda :)

12. BigB

BigB

I'm pretty sure they will release it on February 30th !! :D

@jura_wd : Cool, seems to work good !!! Got to love competition :)

13. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Competition is bound to happen however we find it extremely unprofessional for this asset to be advertised in our thread!

SSR can be made in 1 week (As stated by jura_wd) but it takes time to perfect and optimize not just for short local reflections but for long distance whole scene reflections. Firstly I would urge all to refrain from purchasing this asset as the advantages of Candela SSRR are too numerous to mention and it will be available very soon at a similar price range. Just a reminder, Candela SSRR supports per-pixel control of glossy reflections which can be adjusted on per material basis and that it works both in Forward and Deferred render modes.

The wait is almost over, we thank you for your patience.

Cheers.

14. Z43D

Z43D

Thanks for the update Livenda. Looking forward to some SSRR goodness :)

15. zelmund

zelmund

16. jura_wd

jura_wd

@ZedalisDesign, @All, yeah, you're right, sorry, I've just removed links.

Just to explain my point. I'm from this community, I was waiting for this asset, planning budget/time for my projects. And this is unprofessional to delay if you're saying that it will be available 'next week'. So, you know..

'Candela SSRR supports per-pixel control of glossy reflections which can be adjusted on per material basis'.
    Well, as well as mine.

Anyway, I hope this will force Livenda to release something really soon.

17. DamienSturdy

DamienSturdy

I'm holding out for Candela. Whilst I've implemented my own solution, Candela looks to do a better job of it. @Jura, I would consider purchasing your asset right now if it were priced a little lower.

@Livenda, Please, Please, Please, release *something* soon.

18. Z43D

Z43D

@Jura The majority of us are from this community ;) And we can continue to make it one of the best communities out there, just need to make sure we continue to try to hold a certain level of professionalism and willingness to help eachother.

While I also don't much appreciate the delays or the false deadlines, it's sadly become sort of a standard in this industry (not like that should be an excuse), but still, the ends don't justify the means to advertise. Anyway, I'm glad to see you retracted your links (as not everyone would do that) Keep it professional! :) Your product does look quite nice too btw.

Looking forward to release!

19. save

save

You Livenda people are so ridiculously talented, amazing work!

20. GXMark

GXMark

Easy to falsly advertise. Now we have alternative which will get community support fast. Real product has my support

21. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

I'm definitely buying Candela version!! it's taking long for a good reason :)

22. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Still waiting to see if any of these will work on a tegra 3 mobile device.. liek an asus transformer prime or something.

23. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Totally Wicked,

Does this work on Mobile?

Edit: I went to your website and it says "yes this does mean it runs on Mac OS and all high end mobile devices"

Can you give more specific details as to which High End mobile devices. On IOS, which models of Iphone, Ipod and Ipad ?
    Similarly what type of hardware requirements for Android or Win8.

Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  24. order66

order66

Looks great. Is there an eta?

25. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

We will have more concrete details on this when released, thanks.

Great news! We are submitting Candela SSRR to the Asset store in a couple of days, just working on manuals / tutorials and few other last bits at the moment.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  26. 3

So Close! With this and the Motion Controller coming out, it's going to be a great week for the asset store.

27. Ghoxt

Ghoxt

I'm checking daily for this, at this point.

28. 3

Same here, Can't wait for it to come out. So many awesome assets this week,

29. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I think we all are. I still dont understand how were always told it will be in the store by so and so time... and it never is. This time its a couple of days... lol 5 days later.... I just hope its awesome.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  30. BigB

BigB

I told you guys, it will be online on February 30th !!!!
    You will see

31. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi Everyone,

We will be submitting Candela SSRR to the Asset Store Today. Just wrapped up the initial manual and re-checked all target platforms.

Cheers!

32. staticthefox

staticthefox

It begins!

33. Kajisan

Kajisan

Don't know if this is my first post in this forum - if yes its worth writing.

Congratulations on your work - we´re really looking forward to this plugin for a long time! =)

34. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

awesome!

35. Ghoxt

Ghoxt

It has begun...

36. 3

how long does a review generally take?

37. hopeful

hopeful

It's always different, but I've heard a good general estimation is 4 days.

38. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

hi,

When you release this pkg? hurry up guys.

39. lazygunn

lazygunn

I had a sudden urge to buy this all of a sudden even after reading about the technique and it's shortcomings (Some of which were amusingly clear in your 'competitors' work). I would appreciate being given a decent breakdown of issues you are aware of, methods you've employed to mitigate shortfalls and what users should be aware of in terms of relevance and scene composition to get best use of the asset, rather than being given a black box of a product and a readme to fill me in after money has moved.

Also i'm not sure if the constant delays were deliberate hype building exercises but would updates and support follow a similar pattern

40. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

It's been about 3-5 business days for me for new assets to appear.. 4 on average. Middle of next week then.

41. LaneFox

LaneFox

Just bumping this. Some performance information would be pertinent.

42. bluemoon

bluemoon

I'm a bit new to how screen space effects work so I have a few questions.

Is this compatible with differed rendering?

I'm using a lot of custom shaders will there be detailed information on what they need to be made compatible?

Thanks
    Have to say I'm really looking forward to the GI as well.

43. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi lazygunn in relation to your last comment the delay is definitely not a hype building exercise but a reality in finalizing a productions ready product and is certainly not a reflection of updates and support. In general, Candela SSRR employs a multitude of methods in order to minimize the short comings of screen space based reflections. I'm sure this will become more clear in the next coming days when we provide more detailed and relevant information regarding the Candela SSRR methodology.

Candela SSRR is designed to scale to your performance/quality trade off requirements. As mentioned previously in our posts in most cases it is comparable to the standard Unity SSAO shader, however with many more options to tweak relating to your project.

Candela SSRR is compatible with DX11, DX9, OpenGL in both Deferred and Forward Rendering Paths.

Cheers!

44. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

What about mobile info? Does it function differently on mobile. Have you tested it all on mobile. Tegra 3 process specifically i would want to understand. Its easy to say its comparable to SSAO for performance.. but ehres the thing.. unity doesnt have SSAO on mobile... so its confusing.

45. unity_sg

unity_sg

Hi, the project looks very interesting and offer a lot of new possibilities, great job ...

I saw many questions about the performance, so why don't you just release a webplayer demo with the ability to turn off / on or customize the performance of your system.
    So each one could check it on her own configuration.

If the performances are so good that you are saying (and I have no doubt about it), so just let us check it in real time !
    Really curious to see it in action.

46. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

How about some stats? Like 1-2ms on brand x graphics card.
    I would love to add this to our toolbelt but not until we can either test it out or see some rough statistics.

47. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

That's quite easy to answer: I woundn't expect to see it on mobile platforms at all. Seriously, screen-space effects like those are out of reach for mobile hardware at the moment, which is precisely why SSAO and most of the other screen-space effects are not available there. For the time you'll have to make do with traditional cubemap-based reflections.

48. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

That's not true. Ive seen depth of field rendered on a tegra 2.. with a depth pass ... like ssao would need.

49. lazygunn

lazygunn

The most recent top range mobiles aren't exactly in the hands of the masses but those who chose to spoil themselves do have phones absolutely capable of incredibly strong graphics performance - as i own such a phone and i'm always looking forwards, when i get back to an ogles 3 remake of a game I made with ogles 1.1 as a base, i'd be hoping for these kind of effects to be available. The idea of mobiles being so weak graphically is quickly becoming irrelevant. Certainly in situations like this where raytracing/marching is being done, and there being a plethora of glsl scripts available on shadertoy to see how fast phones might handle heavy situations, it might even be worth seeing if they run okay on your phone and how quickly. If there were enough hours in a day i'd get to this myself.

50. Cynicat

Cynicat

I havnt read all of the thread so i dont know if this was posted and i just missed it. but when i look at the examples i dont see any evidence of gloss scaling (aka: blurred reflections). my art style is similar to the final fantasy cutscenes so i really do need blurred reflections if i'm going to drop alot of cash on this. anyway if you could link me an image of what your blurred reflections look like(on a flat surface maybe). other than that it looks awesome keep up the great work!