Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Screen Space Reflections for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA, Nov 1, 2013.

1. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

this is this is just silly

2. Gokcan

Gokcan

MS80 and yezzer like this.
  3. cl9-2

cl9-2

Has anyone tried using Candela SSRR with the WebGL preview in Unity 5?

This is what I see in Unity

But it doesn't work with WebGL (neither under Chrome or Firefox) and the console gives reports about a Render Texture format not being supported.

Also, has anyone used Candela SSRR successfully in any mobile projects? If so, what were some of the settings that you used?

Thanks.

4. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

I don't know about you guys, but a few month ago, Candela SSRR didn't worked at all for me with the Unity5 betas. But it seem to somehow work just fine now with the official release, so I'm kinda happy for now. Still, area lights are what can bring Unity a step closer to perfection - fortunately, there are already some assets about that in the workings.

@cl.9 : I really don't think that Candela SSRR is made for mobile, it seems too heavy as an solution for that. As for WebGL, it's still far from being finished, so this might only work in a future update.

5. cl9-2

cl9-2

Hopefully when WebGL is no longer in preview, we'll be able to use SSR in the browser, either with Candela's solution or with Unity's own SSR which is reportedly in the works.

FreakForFreedom likes this.
  6. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update, everyone who purchased Candela SSRR during our group-buy event, please go ahead and re-download it from the link received after purchase to get the latest update to V1.03. Asset store purchasers can get the update as soon as it is approved by Unity.

Now that Unity 5 is officially released and available to everyone, stay tuned for some great announcements! We have been working very hard and diligently on our new product lineup and had to wait for the official UT5 release, not just Beta where core components change.

ALSO
    Candela SSRR 24 HOUR DEAL 65% OFF On The Unity Asset Store, Grab it now at ONLY $44 (Normally $125) LINK CANDELA SSRR

7. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi Livenda I just tried to redownload it from the link given in me in the email with the group buy. It goes to a page but says it is not available. Are you sure you created the links correctly ?

8. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Just checked and it looks fine to us.. just give it a little more time for the FastSpring (the payment gateway service we use) system to update I guess. We will contact them now to make sure and confirm we followed the right procedures they have outlined for providing updates to our customers.

Cheers

9. jcarpay

jcarpay

Same here, not available...

10. cl9-2

cl9-2

If we send you an email with the invoice number, can we receive a link for 1.03?

11. giraffe1

giraffe1

here we go again...

12. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Please try the download link again now, and also perhaps clear your browser cache to make sure of downloading the latest version, it looks fine from our end, thanks.

Just as above, it should be fine, thanks.

Cheers
    Livenda

13. f4lke

f4lke

The store still says Version: 1.02 (Jan 09, 2015).

14. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Did you download it yet? it will be V1.03 as V1.02 is deleted and replaced with the new version. The previous version is actually not even on their servers now.

Cheers

15. gurayg

gurayg

Livenda talks about customers who bought directly and I guess you are talking about Unity Asset Store.
    I've downloaded 1.03 from my direct download link and playing with it right now on Unity 5f4.
    Early to talk but it seems to work. Maybe Livenda can give further info about what to expect in 1.03?

16. f4lke

f4lke

Open an incognito/inprivate tab in your browser and open https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15851. It still shows 1.02.

@gurayg:
    Yes, I'm talking about the asset store and not the direct link. But as Livenda said: "The previous version is actually not even on their servers now." which leads to my unintelligibly situation regarding the asset page.

17. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Please note this version is not meant to be fully compatible with Unity 5 (Yes it works to a degree however it is not working as it will, since the new Unity 5 requires many changes), the next version update and our new next-gen reflections product Candela Unreal Reflections (Project name only at this sage and it could change) will Rock in Unity 5! more on these very soon.

18. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Sorry, should have made it more clear, we were referring to customers who bought directly. The Asset Store version should be approved by Unity any day now.

Again, this is very important, this version is not meant to be fully compatible with Unity 5 (Yes it works to a degree however it is not working as it will, since the new Unity 5 requires many changes), the next version update and our new next-gen reflections product Candela Unreal Reflections (Project name only at this sage and it could change) will Rock in Unity 5! more on these very soon.

Cheers

19. gurayg

gurayg

I understand that completely. Just curious what we would get.
    Hope it won't take much time as it did with 1.03 to come.

I was able to use the new "Sky Reflections" feature. Had to play with "Step count" settings to see.

Good Luck with new product and updates.

20. blueivy

blueivy

When is that expected to be released.

21. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

Candela is about the only plugin I use that is not compatible with Unity 5 at the moment and I had to disable it in order to continue my work as well as for my testers to go. However, I don't really want to post something even half public without it, because without Candela visual quality is halved.

I understand it is hard to continue and update, and upgrade according to new workflow of Unity 5 (I myself had to change many things for new API and buffer, and I was quite out of date in terms of documentation and Unity improvements) but I really would like to see Unity 5 compatibility as soon as possible :)

22. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am waiting with bated breath... I have to use reflection probes which are pretty decent but for every situation they are not useful with complex shapes.

23. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thanks for your great comments! Now that Unity 5 is officially released, all will be revealed:)

PBS requires complete & accurate reflections everywhere without hassle at great performance and incredible ease of use (no material or mesh dependency so even purchased assets do not require mesh modification or need to be broken up to sections) and no confusing mess when trying to setup reflections for indoor and/or out-door scenes. With our new upcoming Unreal Reflections, it just works... intuitively.

All current Candela SSRR license holders will receive a great discount to purchase Unreal reflections when available.

Cheers,
    Livenda

24. ZJP

ZJP

Here we go again.
    Whenever we talk about your ability to insure the 'hot line' of your products, you answer with 'teasing' another one. Funny. Ostrich and Carrot .... :confused:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  25. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

why not just update candella its the same thing

clobo likes this.
  26. zelmund

zelmund

same idea, yes.
    same code, type realisation and functionality... probably no.
    will see.

27. Cynicat

Cynicat

*rubs fingers together* dat money doh.

SteveB likes this.
  28. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi,

The current/first Candela SSRR will certainly have initial Unity 5 (new Deferred path) compatibility very soon and it will continue to be developed and updated as usual.

The new Unreal Reflections package is a brand new product engineered for Unity 5 and above and it is a complete replacement for the Unity Probe reflection system as well as incorporating our next-gen SSRR solution, which works with all Unity 5 rendering paths.

All current Candela SSRR license holders will receive a great discount option to purchase Unreal reflections when available.

Cheers,
    Livenda

29. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

ok then sounds good

30. Cynicat

Cynicat

why replace an already good system? most other asset providers will be supporting Unity's reflection probes. unity is going to be adding stuff like SSR blending in 5.1 along with full deffered pass reflection probes, which means the probes are per pixel rather than per object(not sure if 5.1 but i think so). i've also seen the Card reflection probe type in the docs(i imagine its billboard reflections). so my question becomes. why? what does your solution offer over unity's system? with unity's not only is it free, its going to be supported by all other asset providers. with command buffers you can do blending on them already. they are already supported very well and are a permanent feature, odds are unity will support their system long after you abandon yours. i don't say this to be discouraging. just asking why i would be interested.

31. zelmund

zelmund

think need to see this new unreal reflections and then judge.
    unity probes are good, but they still have some limitations.

and it is good when answers from developers start go more often like in last week =)

LIVENDA likes this.
  32. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Dynamic (very fast convolution, very minimal temporal spreading of calculation required so much much better visual continuity in the scene), Performance, Quality, Availability, No asset or shader modification required, works with standard PBS and all legacy shaders, all render paths, incredibly intuitive workflow, Next-gen SSRR with significant performance boost and made to work seamlessly with Unreal Reflections, it just works... These are only a few at the top of my hand:) There is a good reason why Unity current Probe reflection system is the way it is at the moment... Performance & complexity it's not trivial to just adding 'Deferred reflection' probes.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  33. jashan

jashan

They're working on it, and I'm sure that once it's done, it will be awesome and I'll most definitely use it. But having this in 5.1 already is very unlikely, so you might have to be a little more patient when you wait for that. Maybe 5.2, maybe 5.3 - we'll see. Until then, I'll be very happy to use another solution ;-)

Unreal Reflections sounds very interesting to me, especially if it really works with standard PBS. No asset or shader modification sounds really awesome. When can we give you our money? ;-)

LIVENDA likes this.
  34. blueivy

blueivy

Isn't unreal reflections supposed to deliver scene wide reflections. Like things that are off screen? I thought that was what made it different than everything else.

LIVENDA likes this.
  35. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thanks!

This is correct, the next-gen SSR solution incorporated in our Unreal Reflection Probe system does exactly that, and both systems work together to provide the best reflections at optimum performance vs quality scales. The idea is to utilize SSRR as much as possible in a scene before resorting to the reflection probe fallback solution. This is only viable when both methods work (we mean great results compared to mediocre) well together.

Cheers

36. blueivy

blueivy

Are the fallback relflection probes static? Like do they update when geometry or lighting changes?

37. Cynicat

Cynicat

i've seen the progress on the SSR. its already done for the most part. just optimization. my guess at 5.1 was an educated one. deffered reflection probes i have not seen and therefore am not counting on.

hopeful likes this.
  38. MS80

MS80

Where is v1.03 you promised us month ago?! Where are all those features you are promising?? Candela 1.02 does not work correctly with Skyshop or Unity5, and you want to tell us you have the master of reflections coming up?!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  39. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Control yourself

40. Pulov

Pulov

There are little reasons for self control.

41. Golesy

Golesy

Candela works great for me since the update! Awesome plugin! I'm excited for unreal reflections, Will this work for dynamically created objects as well or is it a baking process?

42. turi

turi

Hi, I'm testing Candela and I get reflections literally everywhere! Even on simple diffuse shaders. I got a closer look to the Music Studio demo included and I see a little bit of reflections on the carpet too which is using a diffuse shader. I notice it if I move the camera just on top of it. Is that normal? Anybody having the same problem?

43. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Yes, Candela SSRR is completely dynamic if that is what you are asking

Hi,

This is not a problem, reflections should be thought of as Specular reflections and a Specular Shader should be used to adjust the gloss amount (i.e. the blur strength ) and the Diffuse Alpha to control the reflection strength in Candela. The carpet should really have a specular shader on it as well.

Don't forget above applies to older Unity versions without Unity 5 standard PBS shader. When the official Unity 5 version is released (in a few days), The reflection gloss and strength will be controlled by the ' smoothness ' value only. Unity 5 no longer writes in to the the Diffuse Alpha g-buffer. Another awesome features with Unity5 is the fact that Candela SSRR will have colored reflections (for metallic materials) as the specular color buffer is now provided.

Cheers!

44. turi

turi

Thanks for your reply ! I was actually able to control the unwanted reflection trough the alpha of a specular shader. Now it looks exactly as I wanted. Cheers

45. ostrichit

ostrichit

hi there. Just bought candella, all looks good, but just some one can tell me how to exclude reflections from terrain and unwanted objects? please? thank you

46. giraffe1

giraffe1

Originally posted on Jan 28, 2015...

It is now March 18, 2015...

Pulov and clobo like this.
  47. lightassassin

lightassassin

I am now using another SSRR solution this as Candela is just so bad at communicating, I don't know if they intentionally bend the truth or are just ignorant on how to effectively communicate their plans. I was about to write my own as at this point as they have been so unreliable with updates. Multiple other packages have had 1-3 updates done since the U5 release and if they had issues with the store they posted with details.

If you're curious what I am using just send me a PM.

Edit: Removed link, this is their thread after all.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    MS80 and hopeful like this.
  48. hopeful

hopeful

While I can appreciate the frustration - which seems justifiable - it probably isn't appropriate to post this in Candela's own thread. You might make a new thread with this information.

49. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

If some are not aware Unity Changed their submission System, we submitted with the old tool and had to do it again.

Here is a screenshot from our publisher admin page, everyone who purchased in the groupbuy ALREADY received V103. If you wish contact us with your purchase details and we can send you a direct download link if you don't want to wait.

Cheers. CandelaSSRR_V103_Pending_Review.jpg

50. Pulov

Pulov

I'll change my post when I see it. Meanwhile its the same thing again. text. Dude, I deal with devs that have their submisions passed trough in 1 - 2 days with packages with tons of code.