Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Screen Space Reflections for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Pulov

Pulov

Hmmm. Hope the update comes with nice goodies as I want to recover my faith on this dev.

Regarding the area lights.

If you managed to have a serious number of area lights with a limited impact, I would be interested in that package for sure. Something that can handle textured area lights in high numbers like Times Square, a main Tokyo street or so.

2. MS80

MS80

Good thing to see the dev back here!

What happend to the "off-screen-render-mode" feature you mentioned in 04 / 14?
    You told us you would like to add this feature as soon as it is ready?! Is it ready? Or do you plan to make it part of your next asset??

And one more thing, please stop fooling your respectable customers!
    Maybe it would be better to optimize and improve Candela before selling other assets...
    Candela is a great asset for sure, but first let your promises come true!

You wrote this May 17th 2014:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  3. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi,

Certainly, can you please contact us directly so we can perhaps kickstart the integration with the latest version of Alloy with the latest version of Candela SSRR and especially Spectra GI. The latest version of Spectra GI now also provides complete global reflections for everything updated in real-time for the entire scene. No pre-processing or convolution required, you have access to multiple gloss levels which are completely dynamic, all the time, PBS heaven!

Specra GI now provides Direct & Indirect Glossy Specular & full scene reflection information (not just screen-space!) which takes into account the complete GI solution, which is VERY important, as reflections MUST have the GI info before they can be used, this is unlike any other engine to date. UE4 for example pre-bakes the GI before reflection probes can be used, which are also Not dynamic, they must be re-rendered for any change in the scene, this is also the same for the latest CryENGINE environment probes and Unity 5. Last but not least, NO shader modification is required if using default Unity standard shaders.

This will be included in the next update as a feature which can be enabled. The reason for not adding this is so far is, simply performance issues. Don't forget, when you enable off-screen reflections the entire scene will need to be rendered multiple times (Depth, Unlit, Normals, etc) at higher FOV and any other buffers Unity provides cannot be used. We have this working now at workable performance levels and should be included in the next coming updates, thanks.

Cheers,
    Livenda

blueivy likes this.
  4. nooklp

nooklp

Hello, Livenda.

I'm trying to simulate a reflection on a moving car. I've made a custom shader for car decoration etc in shader forge. Because of a poor performance i cant using realtime reflection. I've decided to use a repeating texture for my reflection for side and top of my car to move it using offset in future. But сurrently texture looks like a common diffuse texture, and i need to make it look like a normal reflection. So i have a several questions:
    1. Can i integrate you tool in my shader forge shaders?
    2. Can i use a texture to look like a reflection to operate its offset values in future?
    3. What about performance of your tool?
    4. Where can i find something like tutorials?

thx

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

@LIVENDA
    Okay, I sent you an email.

6. zelmund

zelmund

hi there. can you tell me please, when ssr will come to unity 5? i need it very much, but atm i have some artifacts in forward rendering. cant get them off ((

7. giraffe1

giraffe1

This is his claimed timeline but I would take this with a grain of salt;

Based on the above timeline the unity update v1.04 should be submitted next week... But the so called v1.03 update has not appeared yet so who knows...

Until proven otherwise this guy is a pathological liar in my book. I really doubt that this guy has even submitted the v.1.03 update as he has claimed. Usually, Unity only takes 2-3 days. I guess only time will tell... I would recommend looking for other solutions as I do not believe this dev. is being honest with us. I hope I am wrong though...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  8. zelmund

zelmund

submit time can take a week. in my case it was 5-6 days. but time will show ofc.

in my memory there is 1 failed asset. DGi it was. autor stoped it on 0.7 version and told that he will not continue this.
    at least livenda show that he continue work on asset and i hope he will not tell us 1 day that asset never continue.
    for now existing features is enough for me (only for now =) ), but i realy need compatibility with Uy5. i almost finished product but i cant release it because of artifacts in forward rendering.

livenda, i will try to dublicate on email that request.

9. elbows

elbows

There have been plenty of abandoned assets over the years. UniSky and whatever the first voxel package on the store was called for a start. The author of Nuaj lost interest quite early on in updating their package. DX11-only packages in general seem to be struggling too, possibly due to less sales than the authors were expecting. e.g. Fluidity and TC Particles not exactly receiving a lot of updates or forum responses from the asset authors.

Anyway, the situation with Livenda's reputation is clearly reaching a milestone - likely this week we find out whether their reputation starts to recover, or is completely destroyed.

10. elbows

elbows

Not looking promising at all is it?

11. zelmund

zelmund

i do not want to frustrate myself... but i have no answers on conversation in unity forum and dont have answer from email i wrote them directly...

12. f4lke

f4lke

fyi, i got a reply from Livenda 1 week ago. The topic was my problem mention here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/on...ections-for-unity.208316/page-13#post-1916854

There was some talk before but nothing important. I'm using Deferred Lighting and Linear Color Space.

Livenda answered on 05.02.2014 with the following mail:

EDIT: I have sent the guys at Marmoset a mail regarding this. Will post the answer here.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  13. Pulov

Pulov

No update in the store, no surprise to be honest.. I've deleted the files from my pc, and if there is a way to delete them from the packages list in teh asset store please someone tell me.

14. zelmund

zelmund

ask asset store support. as i understand there is online refreshing when you open your assets.
    why do you need to delete files from package list?

15. Pulov

Pulov

because I dont whant to see this **** never again and forget this ******* asset

KRGraphics likes this.
  16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Maybe they are waiting for Unity 5 to officially launch. The betas have been coming faster and faster, especially with RC1 being the most recent. I didn't even have beta 22 very long before Unity launched RC1. I'm betting they are finishing up Candela in time for launching Unity 5

17. blueivy

blueivy

I think it's more of the lack of communication that's getting to people.

18. zelmund

zelmund

no need to be so rude. it will gone from assets list, but it will never gone from your mind. ofc in your case its a waste of maney and time, but try to think wider. many people can waste money too in future. there is 2 options: ask unity support to close asset in store, or just wait because candela very busy with doing their assets and they dont need blames from forums =)

KRGraphics likes this.
  19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That also. It's not a good feeling.

20. Kronnect

Kronnect

wow Livenda. What a lack of communication.

21. elbows

elbows

Its not just a lack of communication, it is misleading communication. Claims that a new version has been submitted for a start. Perhaps it has, but there is no evidence that it has.

blueivy and Cynicat like this.
  22. Kronnect

Kronnect

You're right. This is madness.

Cynicat and KRGraphics like this.
  23. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

"Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!"

But seriously, the lack of this prevents me from really pushing the detail in unity and feels like spectra gi all over again.

shkar-noori and Zomby138 like this.
  24. Gokcan

Gokcan

I think we should open a thread in unity 5 beta forum and want unity team to have built in ssrr. I know they already have been working on it but at least they can speed up progress to be launched in 5.1

25. Kronnect

Kronnect

Good idea. Do it.

26. Gokcan

Gokcan

I will do it. Do not leave me alone guys:)

27. Kronnect

Kronnect

Please, post a link here to the other thread so we can join it.

28. Gokcan

Gokcan

shkar-noori likes this.
  29. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi Everyone,

We apologize for the delay, Candela SSRR new update (V1.03)) was submitted about 9 days ago, we have contacted Unity to look in to the issue. We will re-submit if we have to (which we hopefully don't have to!), just waiting to hear from them. We are as anxious as everyone else for this update to reach our users (and making sure no issues arise with the other upcoming update submissions).

Cheers,
    Livenda

KRGraphics and hopeful like this.
  30. Licarell

Licarell

@LIVENDA I bought from your website, I have not seen a email with update information to download the new update, could you please provide this please.

Thanks,

31. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

any news on the 1.03 update?

32. ZJP

ZJP

Me too... :(

33. blueivy

blueivy

They stop by the forums almost everyday but never reply to their thread...

34. Licarell

Licarell

hummm... they submitted to asset store but not to the clients who bought from their website... I smell fish....

ZJP and shkar-noori like this.
  35. giraffe1

giraffe1

this dev. is a pathological liar.

fake excuses all day, check mark
    fake update claims, check mark
    fake time lines, check mark

he does it all...

if you are going to lie out of your teeth at least make sure your stories add up.

36. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

:( This would be a great time to need SSRR... especially since the reflection probes don't really look good on walls

37. lazygunn

lazygunn

This is painful to watch - there's an SSR asset in the store for 1/4 the cost which i'm tempted to grab just to to compare. Then again the SSR code for Killzone: Shadowfall (or something very similar) is freely available

38. f4lke

f4lke

Could you please provide a link to that?

39. lazygunn

lazygunn

here's one link to a method http://jcgt.org/published/0003/04/04/

drobots kz method is in gpu pro 5

i lost the link but theres also a very good thread for the killzone technique on gamedev.net

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  40. elbows

elbows

I tried that other asset. I was underwhelmed.

41. lazygunn

lazygunn

All eyes you-know-where then

42. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is getting ridiculous now... We are already on RC3 and we have had NO WORD on whether this is working for Unity 5 and if you are releasing it. It would be in your best interest if you could be straight with us. The reflection probes are blowing me right now and it is really bothersome that nothing has been heard about this asset. Come on now...

yezzer and blueivy like this.
  43. giraffe1

giraffe1

Be careful what you ask for!

If he does respond at this point...it would be pretty hard to believe anything this guy says.

44. elbows

elbows

Perhaps they should drop the v from their name and release the following effect:

45. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Honestly, I am planning an arch viz project and reflection probes are not doing the job...

46. Cynicat

Cynicat

unity are planning SSR pretty soon(prolly 5.1 considering their tone). i imagine livinda are jumping to another project. not really happy with livinda up to this point. the whole fiasco with their vapor-ware GI, the other reflection system they never released but said they where building up too. the ocean system they haven't shown anything more on. they talk big and seem to think because they have a shiny intro with the inception sound effect that people will believe them to be professional. so far i've seen them getting in arguments with people on the forums(Jove 2.0 creator among them) when people criticize them, make promises they obviously couldn't keep after huge claims. not exactly my image of professional personally. i don't say this to insult livinda. just to state some trepidation about how they have handled things.

MS80, ZJP and sloopidoopi like this.
  47. ZJP

ZJP

NEVER EVER buy a 3dr party GI, Lighting, Rendering stuff (framework). This is my rules actually. I'm fine with a 10-20$ shader (with COMPETITORS) but NOTHING ELSE. That enough!!!. Livenda is the last. Even if they upgrade their tool, nobody can guarantee the future with them. I stop here.

olix4242, Cynicat and KRGraphics like this.
  48. elbows

elbows

Its easier to relax that rule when buying an asset that already does exactly what you need, and is being used for a specific project that is tied to a particular version of Unity. The risk is far more manageable under these conditions.

Certainly the number of high-quality assets that have stood the test of time and continue to evolve is somewhat limited. I've had mixed luck, but would certainly be fuming right now if I'd bought Candela in the last sale on the basis of imminent updates, but my previous experience and the way this thread evolved helped me dodge that scenario.

I'm still posting in this thread because it takes me a long time to extinguish the very last bit of hope, but its exceptionally hard to place any faith in updates arriving at this point, and the reputation damage is largely complete.

49. yezzer

yezzer

@LIVENDA please give us an update. Even if it's "still waiting for unity to approve"

50. ZJP

ZJP

In the hypothesis you have an update now, what will you do in six months ?. Beg again?. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015