Search Unity

Screen Space Reflections for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

@contempt
    The skin shader is still in beta, so not all the kinks have been worked out, particularly when it comes to third party middleware integration. It probably doesn't help that it is a forward-only shader, even though most of Alloy works both ways. I will have to investigate this one.

Any chance you can get us bigger images of your character in both modes? Thanks.

2. contempt

contempt

I just wanted to report back that after investigating with n00body he determined that the seams issue was in fact a texture map problem. The deferred lighting issue is still present. Maybe using a forward-only shader in combination with a deferred lighting rendering path for the scene's camera is not supported currently with Candela SSRR?

3. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

The layer mask feature needs to allow the user to select multiple layers (it doesn't).

Edit: Also, please use SerializedProperty

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  4. Cryunreal

Cryunreal

Hi!!! I want to help you!
    $ssrr_good.jpg $ssrr_bad.jpg

Shininess affect Global Blur Radius, it is BAD!
    Shininess must affect Distance Blur Radius!
    It is very important affect.

5. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

Livenda ! i cant live without candela reflections!, any ETA for surprising us with GI solution ?

Many thanks

6. Pheck

Pheck

Hi Livenda,
    Didnt see a msg from you regarding perf and a non-obfuscated shader file. I am guessing your are just busy with updates or the system lots the message, it wouldnt be the first time. :)

Here are two articles I highly recommend you read and apply to your work to help the performance be more in line with studio shipping quality.
    The biggest step would be to work on those if() statements in the shaders and conditional branch to specific shaders on the cpu.

I recommend anyone check out these articles, they are a good read if a bit technical.
    Older version (good for shader optimizations):
    http://humus.name/index.php?page=Articles&ID=6
    Newer version (good for a deep dive on modern hardware):
    http://humus.name/index.php?page=Articles&ID=9

Hope that helps, good luck,
    - Pheck

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  7. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Not much longer:)

We will look in to adding this option in the next coming updates, thanks.

Thanks, we will add this option in the next updates.

Thanks for your help and input! We will get in touch very soon, can you please send the msg again to our support e-mail, all the best.

Cheers!

8. seanNovak

seanNovak

This looks insane! Any update on the GI release date?

9. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thanks, we have even more insane new features (completely automated Advanced BPCEMS i.e. Box projection corrected cubemaps, GPU convolution and more) coming to Candela SSRR very soon so stay tuned. We will be posting more information on the SpectraGI thread this coming week.

Cheers!

10. bcoyle

bcoyle

Has anyone gotten Candela to work with the OVRCameraController? I thought this worked with the Oculus Rift cameras, but instead the reflections turn out quite strange. With Candela attached to a normal camera it works properly. Before I purchased I had been told it worked with the Rift, so maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Attached Files:

11. ScoobyDoofus

ScoobyDoofus

As the following image shows, I'm having some issues with CandellaSSR and the Marmoset skin shader.
    I'm currently using both, plus some other post effects (AA, SSAO, Color correction, lens dirtiness, vignetting, etc).
    Please notice the artifacts/heavy blurring on the character on the right side in both deferred and forward renderers.
    I'm in DX11, Linear space on PC using the latest released version of all effects and shaders.

12. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

I haven't seen a webplayer example even though it has been asked on multiple occasions.

Could someone who has purchased the asset perhaps deliver.

Thanks.

13. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi, are you on deferred or forward mode, also, the rendering path DX11/9 or OGL, thanks.

The Marmoset implementation of the skin shader is a special case and has not much to do with Candela SSRR. Candela SSRR looks at the diffuse alpha (for reflection amount modulation) and/or the Specular Gloss/Alpha for reflection Blur factor. It would be better to post this question on the Marmoset Skyshop thread. With the skin shader, are you able to cut down or reduce the relflections on the character by modulating the diffuse alpha value?

There is a great downloadable demo in this thread posted by one of our users, we will find the link and post it for you, thanks again.

Cheers.

14. ScoobyDoofus

ScoobyDoofus

LIVENDA,

No, and thats my issue. I've given the diffuse an alpha and set it to black (even though the marmoset shader does not use diffuse alpha) and still see reflection. The diffuse alpha appears to have zero effect on reflection modulation. I've set it to patterns, to white, grey, black, etc with no effect.

I have also spent the better part of the last 2 days troubleshooting this over skype with Andreas, the man at Marmoset who made Skyshop and the shaders.
    This only occurs with Candella activated. I can say with some conviction its a Candella issue.

I'll post some updated example screenshots showing a number of test cases later today.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  15. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

So the asset doesn't work with the web player if I understood you correctly. That's a shame, I was interested in web player functionality specifically.

16. Mauri

Mauri

17. bcoyle

bcoyle

I'm using deferred with DX9 - switching to DX11 doesn't change anything, switching to forward mode makes it look worse.
    The reflections look like they're working with a regular unity camera when using deferred & dx, but when applied to the oculus rift camera they aren't working correctly..

18. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Please be more specific with your issue as it seems like you are trying to mention 'two' issues' first the character being blurry? and the second is modulating the reflections with the 'new' marmoset shaders, is that right? You said ' This only occurs with Candella activated ' What do you mean... what happens? The reflections look fine everywhere else on the scene, This is not a bug, it is an issue of getting two packages working together (This actually is a major fundamental problem with Unity, every time a developer releases a product they have to make sure it works with other products, however this is an insane method with no standards when anyone can do anything they like, who complies with who? is it the the case that everyone has to comply with the most popular asset at the time of release, this is even worse when a package overrides a core Unity system/s) As we mentioned many times previously, Candela SSRR does not require anything magical for it to work and it strictly complies with Unity standards, as long as the custom shader being used such as the shader you are using writes in to the Alpha and/or the Specular Alpha, it will work.

Please e-mail our support so we can look in to your issue further, also have you tried changing the AlphaBias Option values, thanks.

Candela SSRR will certainly work with the web player:)

Which Occulus SDK are you using, is it the latest version, thanks.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  19. bcoyle

bcoyle

the older version, Oculus SDK v0.2.5c

I had other issues with the initial 0.3 preview and had rolled back for the time being

20. niosop2

niosop2

Think you could release (for free) a simple post processing effect that just replaces the view with a grayscale image of the alpha that Candela SSRR would use for reflectance? Then people could use that to see if the shaders they're using are compatible and also give them a way to see what Candela is getting as input so people can see where problems are occurring and shader authors can test shaders for compatibility. Maybe a splitscreen option so one half is the normal image, the other is the alpha.

21. ScoobyDoofus

ScoobyDoofus

Can YOU be more specific as to how your effect requires or reads "diffuse alpha" because I created a custom shader in Shader Forge to test and got the exact same phenomena as the Marmoset shaders.

I'm attempting to entirely remove reflections FROM the characters, yet still have the environment reflect them.
    I've tried a diffuse map with a completely black alpha channel, I've tried a diffuse value with a black alpha. No effect.
    Still get reflections on the characters.
    Just let me know what code or parameter or variable or whatever it is your thing looks for so either I or my friends at Marmoset can make adjustments...

22. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

OK, thanks, we always test against the latest SDK available, we will take a look at this for the next coming update.

This is an interesting idea, we may look into providing this tool, however, as we have mentioned, if you already have Candela SSRR you can get this information by looking at the CandelaCompose shader in the Resources folder. Candela SSRR looks in to the ' Standard ' Unity Render buffers and in the compose shader the 'original.w' component will show the incoming Diffuse Alpha (Controls modulation) and the 'reflections.w' component will show the Specular Alpha component which modulates the Gloss/Blur factor for individual materials. The tool you mention can be useful for all others who do not have access to Candela SSRR, Thanks again.

We had this issue mentioned previously and I think we can help you faster if you contact us via our support e-mail. If you search the Shader forge thread, you would will find that the generated shader would have to be modified by adding a single instruction until Shader forge adds native Candela SSRR support. Thanks again.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  23. bcoyle

bcoyle

Right. So I just tried the latest SDK (0.3.2). With this version Candela completely breaks the Rift's stereo image (Candela is applied to the left & right cameras). The end result is a single stretched image across both eyes with weird reflections. Mind you I test the scene beforehand with a regular Unity camera and the effect is working correctly.

It looks like the cameras break when using the 'Use Camera Texture' - with that unchecked you get the two views again, but the reflections are still wrong.

So... did Candela ever work with the Rift?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    yezzer likes this.
  24. yezzer

yezzer

This has been dead for a while - any update on bcoyle's question?

Oculus compatibility was listed earlier in this thread, which is why I bought it! I'm also having very similar problems, and am using deferred lighting using DX11.

25. yezzer

yezzer

Not sure if this is a problem with Skyshop or Candela SSRR, but when SSRR is added to a camera, Skyshop will create black cubemaps when using box projection. Is this a problem with Skyshop or SSRR? (also posted on Skyshop thread)

Note: I'm using DX11 and deferred rendering.

26. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Yes of course Candela SSRR was working with the Oculus just look at the previous posts on this thread. The new Oculus 'Preview' SDK must have broken something, we are looking at this now ourselves, however there is no guarantee if and when we can get this to work as it is out of our hands. We have sent Candela SSRR to the appropriate people at Oculus to see if they can get this sorted out.

You mean the actual generated cubemap by Skyshop is Black? this has no relevance to Candela SSRR as Candela does not change anything, it is a Post effect.

27. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Great news!

Just noticed why it was not working before, dohh! Candela SSRR works just fine with the latest Oculus 3.2 SDK, here is what you need to do,

Attach Candela SSRR on both Oculus Cameras, then select Deferred for both Cams (Not forward) , IMPORTANT - Then un-check the ' High precision Depth ' option for both Candela instances and it will work. For easy tweaking, just get you settings right for one of the cams until you are happy, then copy over the values to the other Candela SSRR instance. here is a very quick test screenshot

Cheers.

Candela_SSRR_with_Oculus_Rift_works.jpg

28. bcoyle

bcoyle

Thanks for the help. You told me you worked with the latest SDK so I updated, but then you said it wouldn't work with the latest. I've finally spent some time, again, with this asset. With both the Oculus 2.5c & 3.2 SDKs.

The culprit appears to be the High Precision Depth checkbox. You'll want this turned OFF. The reflections are not garbled within the OVRPlayerController with this setting adjusted. Adjust the other settings as you like. This works in both SDKs.

Then of course there are other issues with the latest SDK (3.2). You'll want to avoid using the latest 'Use Camera Texture' feature, which adjusts the view in a new way that doesn't seem to be stable with Image Effects. Oculus should be sorting this out.

Other people let me know if this solves your issues as well.

29. bcoyle

bcoyle

ha! I see we both figured it out just now :)

30. yezzer

yezzer

Lovely stuff - thanks, that's working on Oculus now!

Re: Skyshop, it does generate black cubemaps. Must be something to do with what's attached to the main camera when rendering them, as I've just noticed odd things when Amplify Color is attached.

31. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Great job.

32. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thanks! Also, the next update is almost ready and should be available very soon with many great new features.

Cheers.

33. yezzer

yezzer

Looking forward to it! I have an Oculus project being released in about a month, and SSRR makes it look amazing.

Could really done with Spectra GI too, but never mind ;)

34. FuriousEX

FuriousEX

Hi, we are getting some log spam from one of our scenes that uses Candela SSRR:

Shader wants tangents, but the mesh doesn't have them
    UnityEngine.Camera:RenderWithShader(Shader, String)
    CandelaSSRR:OnPreRender() (at Assets/External/CandelaSSRR/CandelaSSRR.cs:178)

The scene has a camera over a character's shoulder as she looks through a window out at some Unity Terran; we use SSRR to show her reflection in the window.

Based on some preliminary investigation I assume this is related to Unity terrain not creating tangent data....it seems to render alright, but the spam is tanking our framerate in that scene. Any tips on taking care of the error?

Thanks!

35. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi, Thanks for your purchase, Candela SSRR does not require any Tangents as it is a Post effect, adding a terrain object will not cause errors or warnings. You must have an object in the scene without imported or Unity Calculated Tangents. Please contact our support directly so we can help you with your issue.

Cheers!

36. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

37. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Anyone who is interested in purchasing Candela SSRR

Tomorrow is the LAST DAY for the Sale at 40% OFF! Last chance to purchase at only $75 before price increases to $175

KRGraphics likes this.
  38. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Looks like I am going to miss this sale... again... Looking forward to using this and Spectra GI

39. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

It's the last day but I guess will still be active until the 16th depending on your timeframe/ where you are.

Cheers

KRGraphics likes this.
  40. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

LOL, it's not that... just purchased Marvelous Designer

41. lazygunn

lazygunn

hehe enjoy that, i'm aiming to turn my very clothes conscious partner into a £££ factory when she finally sits down in front of it

livenda, are you adding features or updates to candela soon, making the price jump directly explicable?

42. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

We have multiple new additions coming for the next version such as automated BPCEMS (Box corrected blended cubemaps so no other Unity package is required) and off-screen reflections! This will enable Candela SSRR to reflect out-side of view frustum objects, a very important addition as it will enable local reflections being cast from objects not visible from the active camera. These are only a couple of the new features coming to Candela SSRR.

Cheers

43. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I've been using it for my characters and I love how quick and easy it is to make the clothing and touch it up in Zbrush... And I definitely want to get my hand on Candela once I learn how it will affect performance in my game. I am using Alloy and character models that are nearly 100,000 tris

44. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Just a reminder to all interested, we probably will not have any more sales for a while after this and there are 5 days remaining.

EXTENDED UNTIL 31st JULY DUE TO MANY REQUESTS, ONLY $75

IMPORTANT: Please note price will be increasing to $175 after this date. Don't miss out on this great offer for Candela SSRR

Cheers

45. tyrot

tyrot

just purchased it! playing with it.. and BEST purchase so far!

a new bee question though - even though i have a simple texture for diffuse material - i still have reflection until i turn of Alpha (at color) is it OK? When i turn Alpha off in color button - i see just diffuse material ..

46. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi,

Thanks for your purchase and great comments. Yes it is fine to use the Alpha component of the Diffuse color to modulate reflection strength. Alternatively you can use a Diffuse texture with an Alpha channel to get pixel accurate reflection strength modulation. One important thing to note, if you only use a diffuse material, you cannot change the gloss / blurriness of the reflections. If you like to control this as well please either use the Unity default Specular material or the provided Candela Helper shader/s. With a specular shader the specular power value will now also control the reflection blurriness for that material. You can again, also provide a gray-scale texturemap in the Alpha component of the Specular map for pixel accurate glossiness control.

Cheers!

CANDELA SSRR EXTENDED UNTIL 31st JULY DUE TO MANY REQUESTS, ONLY $75

IMPORTANT: Please note price will be increasing to $175 after this date. Don't miss out on this great offer for Candela SSRR

47. tyrot

tyrot

thank you Livenda... i will post our archviz walkthrough after adding Candela. It has changed everything for us. Thank you once again.

48. JoshuaK

JoshuaK

I'm having this issue showing up in the reflections of my simple scene. It seems to be from my cube like the shadow showing up in the reflection, but I have the lights off and the cube not to cast shadows.

Note: I do have deferred lighting on.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  49. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thanks again! cannot wait to see it.

We can better help you if you contact our support and perhaps provide us with the scene, it seems like something trivial going on here which should be an easy fix, thanks again.

Cheers.

LAST DAY TODAY 31st JULY, CANDELA SSRR SALE , ONLY $75

50. Snownebula

Snownebula

Are there any tutorials on how to use this? How exactly do you use SSR?