Search Unity

Screen Space GI not working properly / bugged

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Flow-Fire-Games, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Hey, so after we finally found the 2 settings that need to be ticked to enable it (why does everything need to be so complicated? Why is SSR and SSGI disabled from default? Which HDRP user would not want to use it? People optimizing can disable it later..)

We made some tests with the Screen space GI and it appears to be buggy and show no changes. Even with a extremely emissive objects or fully colored ground on a white cube, almost nothing changed. On a white cube it made some strange AO once in the shadows but no bounce light. I'm not talking about a very minimal effect but no effect, but it is clearly enabled and does do something sometimes a little bit.

Edit: we tried further on a very populated and colorful scene while playing more with light settings and it mostly seemed to very slightly darken some areas a little bit, but with raytracing it was lighting up the floor a tiny little bit but extremely weak, even in a direct comparison its very minor and unnoticeable. The colored objects did not appear to create any bounce light but the isolated ground areas lit up a little more akin to having very slightly increased exposure in a post process setting that would be far easier and cost way less performance doing it through a very slight grading. Putting a bright orange object near a bright yellow object also does nothing etc.

Either some threshold is set extremely low without giving a value to control it, or it is bugged right now, but there is no way to see anything substantial and our environments are full of color. Is it related to some other setting like exposure or how does it work? Does it require DX12?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  2. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Maybe this is not the best example but we tried in many areas and it was never more visible than this
    With SSGI enabled, the bottom appeared a bit darker, making it actually look less like bounce light than without

I could post more screenshots but its almost impossible to see changes

Attached Files:

3. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, see the current SSGI as a colored SSAO: it provides some indirect occlusion and can offer some very slight bounce. It's only meant to support your existing lighting, it's not expected to replace your lightmaps or probes for instance, in the same way as SSR cannot fully replace reflection probes.

You could almost see it as a pretext volume override to give access to the ray-traced version of the effect, which works really well (of course it might depend on your hardware capabilities).

Also, you might wish to have more bounce in a situation and push the effect really high, but as soon as the camera will look away from the source of light, you will lose the bounce you're after once the source of light leaves the frame, which will result in the pulsing of the lighting as you pan or tilt the camera. SSGI look sometimes great on screenshots (and on papers discussing it) when pushed very high, but often looks terrible in action because of its screen-space limitation. Careful what you wish for. ;)

There have also been some very recent improvements that slightly improve the visibility of the effect. But again, it's very minor and won't replace proper indirect light data (lightmaps, light probes, manually placed bounce lights, etc.).

Off/On:
    upload_2021-1-26_13-11-44.png upload_2021-1-26_13-11-40.png

Btw, it's clearly indicated in the doc that you need to enable the effect in your frame settings or on the camera itself:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...ion@10.2/manual/Override-Screen-Space-GI.html

Plenty of people do not like screen-space effects due to their very nature. Personally, I don't really like SSR, I wouldn't want to use it for high-end projects as it's too visually distracting. But you might have other requirements, and that's fine. Enabling SSR and SSGI is just a few clicks away. ;)

chap-unity likes this.
  4. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Hey, thanks for the quick reply

We have the effect properly enabled and it visibly does something / works, but it is just far too weak without giving any control. We do not get the results like on your image

Could you maybe just add a intensity and threshold slider so it can be adjusted for the scenes and light conditions?
    We are aware of screen space limitations but it just does not add any visible bounce lighting in our cases

I just tried in even another scene (this is darker lit however) and it does seem to partially do a nice AO effect but no brightening or bounce light that is visible

Attached Files:

• GIs.gif
      GIs.gif
      File size:
      4.4 MB
      Views:
  5. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Here another comparison: (theres a lot more on the screen in bright daylight but only this part changes with a visible AO effect - the darker one is with SSGI (non raytraced)

Regarding the "enabled by default" - I wouldn't ask for it to be in the default profile enabled, but having it in the settings disabled on 2 different positions is very unnecessary if you just want to turn it on

Attached Files:

6. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

After testing some more it does create a AO effect that the AO shader does not achieve, it can create more broad and realistic occlusion especially from a distance, which the normal one does not achieve but it does not illuminate at all just darken

Maybe it would be worthwhile to split this into a different AO effect and a brightening GI effect or I am having some bug

Here an image with GI and then one with AO only

You notice that the GI does a better job at AO than the AO, but no brightening.

I don't know about the performance but the Ambient Occlusion shader could greatly benefit from this GI behavior so please do not remove this effect

Attached Files:

Wolfos and Ruchir like this.
  7. Passeridae

Passeridae

8. Ruchir

Ruchir

9. Wolfos

Wolfos

I'm not getting the same results. It just seems to darken the edges a bit like SSAO, rather than lighting anything, and colour bleeding seems rather minimal. Admittely I'm not using baking because that's not an option in my game.

I do have to congratulate Unity on the performance though. Hardly any performance hit until I enable full res, on the Apple M1.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Ruchir likes this.