Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Screen Space GI is illuminating an entire sphere, not just the light side

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by BenjaminApprill, Nov 25, 2022.

1. BenjaminApprill

BenjaminApprill

Hey what's up! I am kind of a noob with HDRP and rendering, so I am asking for some help on this problem.

I am trying to use GI for lighting my game scene. I have a sphere emitting light, and it is lighting up another sphere in the scene. However, it is lighting the target sphere uniformly across its entire surface. I attached an example photo of how its working.

I double-checked the emission settings on the white planet, and it has an intensity of 0. So it shouldn't be emitting its own color. If I use a point light as the light source, the white sphere "planet" casts a shadow on the other side properly. I am very likely missing a setting somewhere, so I appreciate it in advance for any help with this.

Attached Files:

2. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

I was able to achieve what I think is the expected result, but I had to greatly raise the max ray steps. I don't see why it doesn't work in your case, maybe check that you don't have an other light source (sky ?).
    upload_2022-11-25_15-18-57.png

Still, I would no recommend to use GI, just use a point light as source light of the "white planet".