Search Unity

Screen space ambient obscurance image effect has artifacts with OpenGL 4.1

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by veracious, Dec 21, 2015.

1. veracious

veracious

This post processing effect is giving artifacts with OpenGL 4.1. I'm guessing the blur part of the shader is not working for some reason.

With OpenGL 2.1 this does not manifest.

I filed a bug report on this with #756028.

screen space ambient obscurance - opengl 2.1.png screen space ambient obscurance - opengl 4.1.png

2. veracious

veracious

Any news on this? I'm still having the same issue with the latest Unity 5.3.2f1.

3. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi, looking at the internal bug status it says this:

Code (csharp):
    2. Fixed in latest 5.4 trunk (after gl/ubo merged), please verify. Might have also been fixed in latest 5.3 patch release.
    so it looks like a fix is on the way through the tubes.

veracious likes this.
  4. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Sorry to hijack the thread but speaking about AO artifact is someone really not notice there's a horizontal cutoff in the ao effect, what is that actually that artifact is been a while. But it seems nobody notice it.

5. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

We are going to start working on a new one that matches 'the new best' very soon :)

GoGoGadget likes this.
  6. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Awesome news, can i request for the new AO to have a selector like tonemapping to use different technique that we want, like ssdo,ssao,hbao and sphere/capsule ao/shadow :p

7. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

For those that need a working screen-space ambient obscurance effect, I've recently added one to my all-in-one PostFX pack, PRISM (link in bio). The default Unity one has a lot of dirty hard coded numbers in it, it honestly looks like it was set up to work in one specific scene and just shipped.
    PRISM.AO:

Unity AO: