Search Unity

Screen size in shader?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by CorruptScanline, May 2, 2010.

1. CorruptScanline

CorruptScanline

I remember seeing builtin screen size variables in some shader code at some point. They are equivalent to Screen.height and Screen.width but i cant find anything about them now. Are there really any builtin variables for these values? if not there should be. I really dont want to have to assign these as global shader values because i need it to work without any code besides the shader itself.

2. andeeeee

andeeeee

As far as I know, the only built-in values available from shaders are documented here.

3. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Why do you need it to work without anything but the shader itself? Setting global properties is really easy, and it's not like you can use Unity to render anything without also being able to run a script.

4. CorruptScanline

CorruptScanline

Thanks, this is for my visual shader editor. I want to make a ScreenSize node. I guess I will have to let the end user make their own node for this if they need it.

5. Jeff-Kesselman

Jeff-Kesselman

For anyone looking, the answer to this question as of Unity3.5 is _ScreenParams.x and _ScreenParams.y

6. wildermind69

wildermind69

Thank you Jeff! Was helpful.

7. CyberFox01

CyberFox01

8. bgolus

bgolus

Rowlan, Tomyn and wolilio like this.
  9. zch1234qq

zch1234qq

10. DomeCreator

DomeCreator

As documentation said :
    "x is the width of the camera’s target texture in pixels, y is the height of the camera’s target texture in pixels, z is 1.0 + 1.0/width and w is 1.0 + 1.0/height."

So if I understand the _ScreenParams refer more to a target texture than the screen size.

In my case I create a RenderTexture on which the camera will render, so I set the target texture size of that camera and it's not the same as the screen size.
    I may missed something but as I undertand I don't have a way to get the screen size ?