Search Unity

Screen Shake

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Vallar, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Vallar

Vallar

Hi,

I am trying to create a screen shake effect when I destroy an enemy or when an enemy is hit. Previously in Cinemachine this was dead simple, it was just getting a component and applying the values. Now it seems I can't access the noise module in the virtual camera for some reason.

Then I came across this Impulse module thing and it just looks rather overwhelming and complicated for just a simple screen shake. Not even sure how to use that properly, given it is new... not a whole lot about it out there.

Any ideas of what one can do?

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You can still access the noise module, nothing has changed in that regard. What version of CM are you comparing to?

Don't be scared off by impulse. Have a look at the Impulse example in the example scenes. When the enemy is hit, emit a signal. Add a signal listener to your vcam, and it will shake. It really isn't all that complicated.

3. Vallar

Vallar

Hmm... that example was really helpful. Thanks a lot. I got it up and running in a matter of minutes.

Nonetheless, could you tell me how to access the noise module now, just in case? I am using Cinemachine 2.3.4. Basically just want to set it from "None" to "Berlin noise" and modify the settings of said noise.

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

var noise = vcam.AddCinemachineComponent<CinemachineBasicMultiChannelPerlin>();
    noise.m_NoiseProfile = bla
    noise.m_AmplitudeGain = bla
    etc

See the Scripting example scene in the CinemachineExamples for more.

5. Vallar

Vallar

That is precisely what I needed. Thanks a lot.

Gregoryl likes this.