Search Unity

Screen resolution not changing?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by DaveyJJ, Jun 13, 2007.

1. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Code (csharp):
    2. var ScreenResolution : int = Screen.width/Screen.height;
    4. function Start ()
    5. {
    6.     // set screen resolution width/height = 1.6 widescreen 16:10 or 1.33 normal 16:9
    7.     if (Screen.width < 1024) {
    8.         Application.Quit ();
    9.         }
    10.     else if (ScreenResolution == 1.6) {
    11.         Screen.SetResolution (1280, 800, true);
    12.         }
    13.     else {
    14.         Screen.SetResolution (1024, 768, true);
    15.         }
    16. }
    Any clue why this doesn't work? At least it doesn't give me an error -- which is what my coding normally produces -- but test screen shots (when I simply set one or the other resolution manually) show only 1024 resolution.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The main problem is that you're defining ScreenResolution as an integer, so it's always going to be 1 (unless you have a really wide screen, like 2:1). The other problem is that Screen.width and .height always return integers, so even if you define screenResolution as a float, it will still only be 1. At least one of the values has to be a float in the first place in order to get a float as a result.

Code (csharp):
    2. var screenWidth : float = Screen.width;
    3. var screenResolution : float = screenWidth / Screen.height;
    Is there any way to force Screen.width height to calculate as floats in Javascript? In C# you could do "float screenResolution = (float)Screen.width / (float)Screen.height", thus saving a line of code...OK, so C# isn't all bad after all.... ;)

Another problem is that you don't wanna do stuff like "else if (ScreenResolution == 1.6)" because getting precise numbers out of floats is iffy. You might end up with 1.6000000001 or something because of floating point errors. You want to compare a range instead. (Like greater than 1.5 and less than 1.7.)

--Eric

3. freyr

freyr

Code (csharp):
    1. (0.0+Screen.width) / Screen.height
    Clunky, but should work...

Btw. the result of the division is stored in a variable called "screenResolution". Shouldn't that be "screenRatio" instead?

4. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Thanks to both. I will tackle tonight (full time works get in the way of so much, doesn't it?)