Search Unity

Screen Resolution help..

Discussion in 'Android' started by getbiks, Jul 3, 2012.

1. getbiks

getbiks

hi.. I am trying to make a puzzle game and i am really confused about the screen resolution..
    Its a simple game with a simple enviornment. And i feel its capable of running even in low end phones.
    Now when i switch platform to android in unity, I am given multiple of device option and screen ratio to choose. I am confsed as to which one to choose and what aspect ratio to set. I can modify the game enviornment according to the ratio..
    Please some help needed over here.. Thanks.. :)

2. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

The screen res you see in the editor just helps you in setting the Editor's game window.
    You can use "Free" as the resolution and set your game window to whatever resolution you need to test your App.

Android OS is built on many different devices varying their video resolution starting from 320x480 to 1280x800.

Also consider newer devices have a built-in system bar which steals 20, 40, or even 80 pixels to one side of the screen.
    Your game GUI / layout should be resize/adjust accordingly for each of these resolutions.

3. getbiks

getbiks

okk i see.. i have been struggling witht he GUI and have managed to adjust all the GUI components like buttons and text to position themselves according to the screen width and height. Also i am keeping the Screen Ration to 2:3 for testing purpose. Lets see what happens.. All the newer sony phones has the Aspect Ratio to 1.6 so i am assuming android will somehow fit them on its own.. Though i cant seem to understand anything unless i test it on real device.. so will update this thread after i check it out..