Search Unity

Screen Orientation and strange rendering behavior

Discussion in 'Windows' started by marshmatter, Oct 2, 2013.

1. marshmatter

marshmatter

$wp_ss_20131001_0002[1].png

The scene above is fairly simple example. There is a directional blue light, and in the scene there is a point light (yellow) which illuminates the background objects and a vehicle - both of which are using bumped specular shaders at the moment (performance is not an issue right nowt, it's more about getting the right "look"). The camera is orthographic.

As you can see, there is a big ugly cutoff of the yellow point light through the middle of the scene.

What I think I have determined is that it is somehow related to the screen orientation. If I set it to Portrait, the nasty cutoff disappears. Only in landscape it shows up.

To make matters more interesting is that cut off line seems to coincide with where the camera bounds would be if the device was in Portrait.

I'm not an expert on shaders or the rendering pathways, but it definitely looks like something (when using the built-in bumped specular shader) is not acknowledging the proper screen orientation when rendering.

Any thoughts on fixing this? (or if I am completely off the mark here)

I know there is a mobile/bumpedspec shader, but it gets a little crazy with the vertex lighting.

I know I could bake the lighting, but we are planning to use a light like this as a dynamic light.

Thanks in advance!

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Nice find. Could you file a bug report?

3. marshmatter

marshmatter

Will do once I get in to work. I want to set up a simpler project that demonstrates the problem.

4. marshmatter

marshmatter

Report submitted! Very anxious to hear back, as this is kind of urgent for our project :D

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Thanks, we'll get back to you :).

6. Tirus

Tirus

I have the exact same problem with Spot lights for Windowsphone. What's the current situation of this bug?

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi,

that particular bug was fixed in 4.5 (which is getting released really soon), however, you may never know what may be broken. If possible, please submit a bug illustrating an issue, and in case it's fixed, it will be resolved as not reproducible by our QA, while in the case it's still broken, we'll fix it.