Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SCM Compatibility

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by mjjw, Jun 27, 2006.

1. mjjw

mjjw

Hi,

I have read the various things lying around the forum on SCM (and specifically SVN). I am currently working on Unity in a very small team, however I am considering using it for many future projects and I am currently finding that working with just two people collaborating is difficult without SCM!!!

However, I would be willing to write an SVN interface specifically for Unity once my current project has been finished (unless otee are already writing version control compatibility?). What I guess I really need to know is

a) has anyone attempted this already?
    b) the problem seems to lie with metadata. Does untiy store this metadata internally or is it stored by Finder? or is it a mix of both?

Currently we (sort of) have SCM by versioning a master copy of our project which is held on a disk image (the entire image file is versioned). Our local copies are used to export assets and import them into the master disk image which is then updated into the version control. This is obviously using lots of space and is *far* from ideal, so I'm keen to get some good version control integrated with Unity (even if it means writing it myself).

Martin