Search Unity

Scion - Filmic Post Processing

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aieth, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision

Hi Aithe,

Today we are testing your asset and the final result is very impressive.
    The appoach to merge all Screen Space FX into one "pass" is the best one!

I have some question:
    1) I have an issue with BeholdR asset to preview postFX into "Scene View". Can you help me?
    2) The color correction missing about Volume Blending right? You would add the features in next release?
    3) Could be possible add camera lens real setup? Would be very usefull for art director to have a physical camera setup.

Thanks,

2. Aieth

Aieth

Glad you like it! I'll see if I can implement something like that. The issue is, and this is fairly technical, I need to use ZTesting against the current hardware depth buffer while rendering the exclusion mask. But as far as I know it is impossible to grab the current depth buffer and assign it to a new camera. If I find a workaround I will. This is also the reason why the DoF exclusion mask does not use ZTesting, meaning it only works for overlaid objects.

1. What is the issue? I am unsure of how the scene camera would react to having a DoF applied to it, especially since all the uploaded variables depend on the current camera (game camera)
    2. Yeah there is no volume blending. If you require such a feature your best bet is to either write it yourself (should be fairly simple, just loop through a list of objects and then update the blending on the Scion component via the API).
    3. How do you mean? If you are asking for an actual real camera simulation, that's simply not possible in real time. Maybe in 10-20 years.

3. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision

Hi Aieth,

1) These are two screenshots with and without beholdr

shot_150911_164322_web.png shot_150911_164400_web.png

2) It is not in your roadmap? Would be very usefull ... together with a Volume Fog :)
    3) Nono, I'm talking for something easier like this one:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15641

Thanks,

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I think the solution would be to not show DOF through BeholdR. But for that you should probably bug the author of BeholdR?

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I think he means FoV in mm instead of degrees to follow the standards set by ARRI and Panavision in feature films.
    It'd take the form of a pulldown menu with the primo lenses in pana/arri lens package with 35mm camera back.
    You'd get primo 14.5mm, 17mm, 21mm, 27mm etc...

Super useful if you come from a movie background or do previs on set.

derkoi likes this.
  6. Aieth

Aieth

1. It is hard to tell what exactly is going on. I don't know exactly how the scene camera behaves, it's not quite the same as a normal game camera. It's very possible my (low level) handling of sRGB is breaking on the scene camera. I would have to do some testing myself to find out what's going on.

2. No it is not :) And neither is volumetric scattering. While I love implementing systems and technology I have to draw a line somewhere or I'm going to end up for 12 hours a day for a year.

3. That's only barely easier :p Is there anything in particular you're thinking of? As far as I can tell what you're linking to is months of work.

An option to select the focal length and then derive FoV from that instead is completely possible. I can add that the next patch.

7. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Hi, sorry if this has been asked already but I haven't gone through the full thread. I'm considering getting this for my current project. Just a couple of questions:

Can Scion be easily instantiated / attached to an existing main camera like Unity post effects? Can I just write a couple of lines of code to add the Scion component to the main camera in all my scenes and then just modify the parameters via code? I'd like a solution that is easy to add to an existing project and not something I have to attach to every scene manually or set up a different camera or something complex like that.

Secondly, do you think Scion's effects would be useful on a mobile game that is primarily played from a top-down view? Are the effects efficient enough for mobile? Currently I use Unity's optimized bloom and have an option in my game's options menu to toggle it on or off. Can Scion be toggled on or off easily via code?

8. Aieth

Aieth

Yes it works just like a standard Unity post effect. Except it has sliiightly more variables since it contains a bunch of effects.

It is not made for mobile. Someone on the last page managed to get it running on iPhone 6 but at only 30fps. Scion is, from the ground up, intended and optimized for modern hardware like the new consoles and desktop PCs.
    Scion can indeed be toggled via code, just turn the script off and its off.

hippocoder likes this.
  9. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Cool ... thanks for letting me know and being honest about it's usefulness on Mobile. I'll probably still pick it up when I start porting my game to Windows 10, Mac and Standalone.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Having said that, mobiles will be eating scion with ease within a couple of years.

Ony likes this.
  11. Aieth

Aieth

Scion 1.2 is now live on the Asset store!

Ony likes this.
  12. Karearea

Karearea

Beautiful- the lens flare effect is absolutely stunning. I have an ocean with strong highlights on the wave peaks, and the fx picks up the little points of light and gives the whole screen an ephemeral pattern.

13. Aieth

Aieth

Stop teasing and post a screenshot, I want to see it too :)

chiapet1021 likes this.
  14. Karearea

Karearea

Unity didn't let me upload animated gifs unfortunately- much better in motion! Ocean is Suimono, shaders are otherwise all Alloy.

Attached Files:

blueivy, Aieth and chingwa like this.
  15. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision

Ehi Aieth,
    1-
    I confirm that with new 1.1, BeholdR darken into game view seems fixed :)
    Just DOF is out of control into Scene View (very strong and different from Gane View) but probably I don't know if would be possible fixed :)
    2-
    I have just another "bug" with BeholdR. If i click "C" to disable, beholdR give me error (
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object ).
    If I disable Scion using checkbox into inspector, no issue.
    Probably I need to contact BeholdR dev...
    3-
    In previous apps we used ProFlares (it is very cool). You think that now it is totally useless with new release?

Thanks,

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  16. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

OK So today is a HUGE day for Scion.
    It's on the 24 hour sale, and we all need to do our part to help promote it.
    I posted it on FB and Twitter, please do the same....

SAOTA and hippocoder like this.
  17. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

Hello!

I just purchased Scion literally minutes ago, so I haven't yet had a chance to dive too deeply into the features.

There are two (presumably easy?) features that I would love to see implemented, though, which would greatly expand two of your affects:
    1. Grain size. This would both allow the simulation of different types of film, as well as be able to more accurately represent the slight distortion effect that occurs due to blood vessels in the human eye.
    2. Vignette blend modes. As a photographer, I've done a lot of experimentation of with vignette application, and I find that applying it with a "Soft Light" blend method looks stellar compared to a straightforward blend. "Screen" and "Overlay" would probably be great as well, but honestly, I'd just be happy with "Soft Light".
    3. Grain blend modes. Just like the above, but for Grain, would also be excellent!

That aside, I see a lot of potential for your asset. The performance is excellent, and I love the lens flairs (a feature I had asked for prior to purchasing!). I just wanted to drop this comment before I stepped away from the computer until the evening.

Thank you so much in advance, and be well!
    - S.

18. Aieth

Aieth

1. I have no idea either, the scene camera does not work exactly like a game camera.
    2. That's strange, I assume you're using the demo script I have for toggling on and off? All it does is call SetActive(false), so it *should* be identical to toggling in the inspector AFAIK.
    3. Not necessarily, I think they can complement each other. The procedural lens flares I've implemented are very soft, more glare like rather than the extremely sharp hexagons you see.

I deeply appreciate it :)

So, in related news, Scion is on a 24h sale at 50%!

SAOTA likes this.
  19. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hi also a quick question since I am not a Shader Effects expert and perhaps this questions are pretty self explaining...
    I want to use UBER for my projects and now that this awesome is on sale I am pretty interesseted in buying it.
    Will UBER work fine with Scion?
    Can Scion also be used as normale gameplay prostprocessing effects without creating cinematics? I mean Scion will eat some fps and performance but the effects would be so great in normal gameplay situations like VR games etc.

Thanks a lot!

20. eskovas

eskovas

Bought it during my lunch break :D It was a huge surprise seeing Scion on sale

I'll try to give some feedback sometime soon :)
    Btw @Aieth can you give a look at your pm's?

21. blackbird

blackbird

bought it right now and testing it using the latset unity version first what i got errors !!!!!!!!!! did you ever test your stuff before you upload and just wondering the asset team what are they doing all the time ... everytime i buy something i regret it

Attached Files:

• sgsn.png
      sgsn.png
      File size:
      65.6 KB
      Views:
  22. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@blackbird, sounds like you already have Unity's Standard Assets imported into your project. If you clear the messages, I don't suspect they'll reoccur.

I imported Scion into a new project with no default packages. No errors. Using Unity v5.2.0f3 on PC.

blackbird likes this.
  23. blackbird

blackbird

i removed the error by deleting creasingshading but what i found out for the moment that i can't turn off the tonemapping and it's seems there is a bug with the deffered rendering option

check the screens and compare guys i dont know if it's issue with the asset or a unity bug

Attached Files:

24. Aieth

Aieth

1. I have no idea either, the scene camera does not work exactly like a game camera.
    2. That's weird, all the included demo script does is call SetActive(false). AFAIK that should be the same thing as toggling the inspector
    3. Actually they should complement each other. I use a very different technique for generating my flares producing a completely different look, the best result would probably be from combining them.

Scion will work fine with UBER. In fact, I believe some of the recent screenshots of UBER are taken using Scion (@tomaszek know's this better than me though).

That's the standard assets Image Effects included for the demo scene (which is the Corridor Lighting demo). You can safely delete the Standard Assets folder included. All it will do is remove the fog + anti aliasing post effects from the demo

RonnyDance likes this.
  25. Aieth

Aieth

There are two scripts, called "ScionPostProcess" and "ScionPostProcessNoTonemap". A post process that does tonemapping is required to have an [Attribute] on the OnRenderImage method, so there are two versions that set it up separately (as well as managing sRGB settings differently due to different requirements). If you don't want tonemapping done by Scion then add "ScionPostProcessNoTonemap" instead. It is described in the README file.

26. Aieth

Aieth

I've been very busy lately and you asked quite a question :) I will respond as soon as I get time to think properly about it.

eskovas likes this.
  27. Aieth

Aieth

I have had reports that the demo scene is behaving strangely under Unity 5.2 and deferred rendering. It has nothing to do with Scion though, the strange behavior is still there if you disable Scion, so it would seem something is up with the GI and/or the reflection probes. I will be making a custom demo scene for the next version of Scion.

28. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

29. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Some shameless self promotion, but anyone interested in seeing Scion used in LowPoly environments can see how I use it.
    Wild_West - Demo - Main Camera - 2015-09-16 08-54-35 - 1024x768x1.png Wild_West - Demo - Main Camera - 2015-09-16 08-54-10 - 1024x768x1.png

And this is from one of my kits too:

I also have a web player demo here

Aieth likes this.
  30. eskovas

eskovas

No problem, thanks for considering and thinking about it :)

31. blackbird

blackbird

i moved the camera checking the scene and got this is that a glitch ?

Attached Files:

• dot.png
      dot.png
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
  32. Aieth

Aieth

I see now that I accidentally replied to UnrealVisions questions twice :p I thought that was your post.
    I will look into it :) Just got to figure out a way to do it without causing permutation explosion. I don't want to use a keyword per setting just for such a minor alteration.

That is the one bug I am currently aware of that has not yet been fixed. You can work around it by setting LensFlare downsamples to 1.

blackbird and S_Darkwell like this.
  33. blackbird

blackbird

yeah i figure out that

34. Aieth

Aieth

I looked into it again now and by a small stroke of luck I found the cause of the issue. I will PM you with a link to a fixed version. Anyone else that wants a fix right away can PM me their invoice number (there is also the work around of having a low downsample amount).

blackbird likes this.
  35. blackbird

blackbird

thank you very much

36. Aieth

Aieth

Adding another reply, completely forgot that JeyDia posted some screenshots on the previous page in which he uses UBER + Scion

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

My findings so far:

- scion works with every other shader package I've tried including ocean and sky systems
    - it's the missing link to UE4 / AAA graphics
    - incredibly active developer with proven track record

What scion is not for:

- mobile
    - people who enjoy ugly graphics

John-G, derkoi, S_Darkwell and 5 others like this.
  38. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision

Ahahahahahhaha

--

@Aieth
    I sent you an email :)

39. tomaszek

tomaszek

+1. JeyDia gave me his output with UBER+Scion used which I could include into my UBER showcase video.

Tom

P.S. Scion is good. You like it :)

Aieth and hippocoder like this.
  40. Cascho01

Cascho01

Just got Scion, Depth of field max Radius has no noticable effect to me - bug?

Edit: Actually it does work, but don´t understand yet when it does get noticable

blackbird likes this.
  41. SAOTA

SAOTA

If I may.

Scion is glorious.

Scion is at the bottom of any and all of my cameras' image effects stacks.

I almost don't want to tell people about this asset ;)

Pool.jpg Kitchen.jpg Lounge.jpg

42. Aieth

Aieth

Yeah it does work but in only pops up under extreme scenarios. It is often pretty hard to tell the difference between a 10 radius pixel blur and a 20 radius pixel one. The algorithm supports up to 20 blur radius but I added the option to reduce it in order to stop artifacts from appearing under extreme conditions (e.g worst case scenarios). The indoor blacksmith demo is one such case, it has small gaps between the planks with a very bright background (sky), where undersampling becomes very noticeable. Without the max blur reduction that scene can look pretty bad. The general idea is you only touch that slider when you see issues, otherwise it is safe to ignore it.

Glad you like it :) I appreciate the endorsement. Looks terrific combined with all the fancy stuff UBER does.

43. antonov_3d

antonov_3d

hello this is the result im getting in demo scene http://prntscr.com/8h3kb3
    i use deferred rendering and linear colorspace.
    ok nvm restart fixed it

44. Licarell

Licarell

And I would love to see a UBER + JOVE combo as well... sorry Aieth, couldn't help myself:rolleyes:

45. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Jove replaces the Unity rendering engine, so Tom would have to rewrite UBER as Jove shaders for that to happen. Not that it wouldn't look amazing, if he did so. :)

46. zenGarden

zenGarden

Why there is no purchase button on the asset store ?

47. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Probably haven't logged in.

48. zenGarden

zenGarden

If my frirewall is on and block the Asset Store, Unity just crashes.
    I see the item, but the button to buy is not present ? while i see the button for other items.
    I'm downloading 5.1.2 , perhaps this is required ?

Ony likes this.
  49. Ony

Ony

I had that problem, too, then realized it's because I hadn't updated to the latest Unity version (5.1.2) yet. Is that a new thing that the store won't let you even buy something unless you're using the version it requires? Anyway, I updated Unity and just purchased Scion.

50. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Cool! I guess this "protection" should explain that on the asset store rather than just not show a button.

zenGarden and Ony like this.