Search Unity

Scion - Filmic Post Processing

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aieth, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Aieth

Aieth

Can I get you to post two screens hots, one w chromatic and one with scion? And PM me the LUT so I can fix whatever the issue is :)

2. stalker_23b

stalker_23b

Sure!
    Chromatica :

Scion converted :

Chromatica's LUT attached.

Also, version 1.1 is unbuildable, because some scripts are using UnityEditor and they are not in "Editor" folder. I had to hack them to make builds.

P.S. Thanks for support!

Attached Files:

3. BigB

BigB

Where is everyone getting 1.1 from ?
    My asset store version is still the same.

4. Aieth

Aieth

Ah crap I completely forgot that. I need to make myself a checklist of stuff to do before uploading. My apologies, I'll fix the build issues asap.
    Im gonna see what's wrong with the Chromatica conversion, all my tests were fine but something is obviously wrong. I will get back to you on it

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Are you doing a special conversion for the chromatica LUT? I believe the author of chromatica is changing the LUT to a more standard one, so it might not make too much sense to spend a lot of time on the current one?

6. BigB

BigB

Hey Aieth,

DOF is crashing now, whenever I change the type of DOF, or when I try to choose an exclusion mask, Unity crashes.

7. Aieth

Aieth

It's not that much time, so whatever the issue is I'm gonna try and fix it now. It's strange because it worked fine in my tests earlier. Going to see if I can figure out what's going on.
    Confirmed bug. Seems like on DX9 only manual distance and point average work. Exclusion mask and manual range causes Unity to crash. Doesn't happen on OpenGL or DX11 though, I'm going to look into it now.

8. Aieth

Aieth

Patch 1.1.1 has been submitted to the asset store. It contains
    • Fix to the build issues
    • Fix for some of the Depth of Field settings failing under DX9
    • Chromatica LUT conversion (wrong color space + wrong import size, Unity downsampled it by default)
    As per usual, if anyone needs access to the patch ASAP just PM me your invoice and I will hand you a download link. My apologies for those issues making their way in there in the first place.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    stalker_23b and DefinitionUK like this.
  9. Aieth

Aieth

I finally got the Blacksmith scene to import. Going to be taking a bunch of screenshots comparing Scion to Standard Assets. Here's a teaser. First image is Scion and second is Standard Assets. See the FPS counter in the top left corner.

Blacksmith_Scion.png Blacksmith_Unity.png

John-G, SAOTA, stalker_23b and 9 others like this.
  10. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

Hi! Tonemapping - does it has eye adaptation? Or this feature is not something which goes by default?

11. Aieth

Aieth

Yeah it has automatic exposure. It's a bit potato potatoe, eye adaption and automatic exposure is the same thing.

RyuMaster likes this.
  12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

A few questions:

1) Since shutter speed does nothing (or at least I'm assuming, since there is no motionblur in Scion, right?) what is the point Aperture Priority and Auto Priority? Does auto increase and decrease DOF as well to try and keep somewhat *sane* ISO and shutter speed values?

1a) (if you ever implement motion blur, which I assume will be controlled by shutter speed, will we have to add ND filters to have shallow depth of field? :p )

2) What kind of sensor size do all the values assume? S35? Full Frame 35?

3) Can you post a shot with too much DOF? I can't really tell if there's bokeh (or how good the bokeh is) in the shots you've posted so far.

13. stalker_23b

stalker_23b

I got 1.1.1, can confirm that issues are fixed now!

One thing : if you convert Chromatica's LUT as is, you will get wrong result, because chromatica sets some texture parameters to LUT texture, which will give incorrect conversion.

There is texture parameters set by chromatica :

So, you have to remove this parameters to get correct conversion by Scion. Just set type to "Texture" instead of "Advanced". I dont know which exact setting gives that, maybe it is "Bypass sRGB Sampling".

Also, one more problem : Scion is color grading the UI, while Chromatica does not.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Here, scion is not color grading the UI. What is your setup?

15. stalker_23b

stalker_23b

I am using single camera setup and uGUI (unity new UI system). UI is being color corrected by Scion. But, if there is another camera in scene (i.e. Proflares camera), ui is left intact. Chromatica is not color correcting ui in any setup.

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well here I am using deferred and linear in DX11. I am using Unity's UI system and a color grade from chromatica studio that turns everything black. The UI remains fully visible and unaffected with both. I do not have any other cameras. Seems strange!

17. stalker_23b

stalker_23b

Yes, it is strange indeed. I am using linear and DX9.

Chromatica : UI is left intact

Scion : UI colors are broken

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Aha so DX9. Can you test this quickly with DX11 and if it's the case then the author has a valid repro to try! :)

19. stalker_23b

stalker_23b

Tested in DX11 - same results, UI is color shifted.

20. Aieth

Aieth

I think I know what's causing it. I was being clever and optimizing things. I might've been too clever though. Will fix it next patch.

stalker_23b and hopeful like this.
  21. Aieth

Aieth

1. Auto priority tries to set a F Number of ~4 while aperture priority allows to choose the F Number yourself. Auto is basically the simple mode, that tries to set sane values and hopes for the best. Shutter speed will become more relevant once motion blur is implemented.
    1a. If that is a serious question, you are severely overestimating how accurate a real time camera simulation is :p

2. Same as 1a, a sensor size would move it over into raytracing and none real time territory :)

3. Most DoF algorithm separate the bokeh rendering and the blur into different passes. Since blur is expensive you only blur a little and then you render bokeh sprites on top of it (or before it). In a real camera the bokeh is caused by small bright pixels overpowering their surroundings. Blur naturally causes this, but only if the blur is "large" enough.
    The algorithm I'm using does not separate the two, since doing that would cause a discrepancy. They're caused by the same thing so separating them would move away from the natural look.
    Bokeh becomes more obvious if a non circular distribution is chosen (e.g hexagon). It's on my todo list.

22. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi @Aieth,

I was dabbling a bit with the postFX of a project, and came up with another idea for Scion.

What about implementing retina persistence in the middle of the pipeline? That would be quite a unique feature to have, and (I think) not too complex to implement. That would mimick a realistic feature and would allow special "memory trails" effects, lasers, explosions, or flashbangs, or simply a temporarily burned area of the eye because you stared too much a very bright object.

It could be just a rendertexture which gets "impressed" by pixels over a certain threshold, that fades out to transparent with time. 2 tweakable settings.

Just an idea, I know you're uber busy :p

23. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Thanks for the replies. No 1a and 2 weren't really serious questions :p

24. PiAnkh

PiAnkh

Maybe I am missing something obvious but how do you do color grading with the new version? I don't see anywhere you can plug in a LUT in the interface.

25. ZJP

ZJP

Yes.. :p

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The drop down enum at the bottom of the component....

27. Aieth

Aieth

You need to have Unity 5.1.2 as well, or the asset store only gives you the 1.0 version.

28. PiAnkh

PiAnkh

Thanks. That was the problem. All is working now. It's a super asset!
    If you ever add AA then I will propose you for a nobel prize. ;-)

chiapet1021 likes this.
  29. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Just bought Scion,
    When I put it on my Camera, I get:
    Bloom Shader not supported on this platform.
    I'm using Unity 5.0.0 on OSX

I had a ton of import errors as well stating that it could not compile shaders...

Help?

30. Cosmius-me

Cosmius-me

@JohnRossitter
    update Unity to latest version and download Scion 1.1.1

31. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Ill use my latest copy to download it, and try to import that in to 5.0.0, hope it works

32. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Well, thats a big fat fail.

33. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

1.1 is specifically written for Unity 5.1.

34. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Is there a solution for 1.0 and Unity 5.0.0 on OSX ?

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Is there a reason you cannot go to 5.1x or 5.2? as these will solve a large amount of bugs.

36. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Yes :)
    I have some other things that require 5.0.0

37. Aieth

Aieth

I will look into 5.0 support as soon as I get a proper internet connection so I can download Unity 5.0... :p It should be possible

JohnRossitter likes this.
  38. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Word!

39. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

40. PiAnkh

PiAnkh

I am getting very weird colours too with these. They're standard Unity LUTs so they should work.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  41. BigB

BigB

Yup, tried them before too, and they never worked, so I just assumed they were not compatible

42. Aieth

Aieth

No matter what LUT you are using you are going to have to run it through the converter to work in Scion. It's all in the docs ;)

43. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Has anyone else seen strange sync behavior with Scion and BeholdR ?

44. BigB

BigB

Yes I know, but the results are still weird :)

45. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Scion is color grading my UI as well.

46. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

Silly question - I like the idea of color grading my GUI, you will remove it with later builds, but I wonder how did you do that? If I want to color grade my GUI seperately from main game, is there some cheap way to do so, relying on current Scion implementation to save performance?

47. Uli_Okm

Uli_Okm

Hi @Aieth , i'm currently having problems using Scion in forward mode with unity antialiasing effect (the one set in quality settings). When it is turned on, image flips upside down. I know this is a known problem with image effects + AA but its necessary to edit the scion effect. Any idea where to do this?

48. Aieth

Aieth

Unity in general isn't designed with anything but very modular component oriented design. It wouldn't surprise me if the scene camera runs into issues with the depth of field.
    Oh alright, I'll look into it and see what the issue is. It should work.
    It isn't actually color grading the GUI, but rather it's messing a bit with the sRGB settings and therefore making the GUI darker. It will be fixed the next patch, until then just use your regular color grading if you are having issues.
    See above, it's not actually color grading :) It's an optimization gone a bit haywire.
    Thanks for reporting this, I will look into it and see if I can fix it in the next version.

49. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Ah, okay I see. This darkening was an issue in the 5.0 beta as well. Awesome asset btw! I love the look of the tonemapping. All the default unity tonemapping choices make me loose all details in the brights. It was the min max exposure parameter that sold me on this plugin. Now my dark caves can be dark!

50. Aieth

Aieth

Which version of Scion is this on? I can't replicate the issue under 1.1. On a semi related note, Unity doesn't support HDR in conjunction with MSAA. Are you running in LDR? Scion does still work but the bloom/exposure part is kind of useless unless you're in HDR.
    Glad you like it :) Looking into some more options for the tonemapping as well.