Search Unity

Scion - Filmic Post Processing

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aieth, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

If you need to reproduce a similar scene, here are my scion settings, and two others for the candle pointlight and an extra point light for minimal lighting.
    scion pp settings.jpg light.gif pointlight.gif

2. Martin_H

Martin_H

Some people had complained about the bloom blurring the image in the older version of Scion, as if something was smeared on the lense of a camera. Did you all try again with v1.4? Is that gone now?

3. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I guess you are referring to the older version from few month ago that didn't have a decent threshold setting and it has been corrected: now the bloom isn't blooming all the screen but only an area defined by the threshold. This is a different issue that might be from that correction.

I don't know if I have v1.4. What I know is that I brought scion in November and this install is from this week. Though, the asset store give me the paid upgrade option so i might not have the most improved version.

4. Martin_H

Martin_H

Threshold came as a new feature with 1.4, so you're up to date I think.

5. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

While I'm here there is a little feature request I'd like to make about the tonemapping.

The exposure setting has an adaptation speed variable but in real life, the eye has two: one fast for adapting to bright light like the sun and a slower one when getting accustomed to a dark place. It would be great to have two speed, one for each direction, and even better if they can be curves so these speeds depends on where you are on your exposure range.

This way it would naturally simulate phenomenon like getting accustomed to a dark room and losing your light exposure because someone turned on the light. It would also work well with flash grenades.

I think it would be very easy to add since it's just an upgrade on the existing variable and would add a lot of realism.

Aieth if you need any more info about it, I'm available.

Thanks.

NeatWolf and Arkade like this.
  6. stalker_23b

stalker_23b

Hello,
    i have just updated Scion to latest version, and now i have bug related to Focal Range feature.
    When i use Focal Range, it works kinda like blocky grid mask. I can clearly see huge blocks switching from "dof" to "non-dof" state. It is hard to see on static picture, i have marked this borders.

Can you please help? We are releasing the game soon, and i need to fix this ASAP.
    Thank you for help, and thank you for the beautiful asset!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Shodan0101 likes this.
  7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys... will Scion be updated for Unity 5.4?

8. Martin_H

Martin_H

What kind of issues does it have in 5.4?

9. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Mainly, it doesn't work in the new 5.4 viewport where you can see all of the effects in the scene... I have to use SceneView... And, it would be cool in the update to have Scion ignore the sky...

10. blackbird

blackbird

for me it works without a problem

11. Baraff

Baraff

Hi,

I just updated to 5.4 and get this error during the update:

Assets/ScionPostProcess/Scripts/InspectorAttributes/Editor/InspectorAttributesEditor.cs(341,30): error CS0121: The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: `UnityEditor.EditorGUI.Vector4Field(UnityEngine.Rect, UnityEngine.GUIContent, UnityEngine.Vector4)' and `UnityEditor.EditorGUI.Vector4Field(UnityEngine.Rect, string, UnityEngine.Vector4)'

Any ideas on what to do here?

12. Arkade

Arkade

Quick 'without the source' answer from the peanut gallery until a proper answer arrives:

2'nd argument's type needs clarifying. Try sticking a cast in front of it at the call site (I.e. (string)) or am explicit call to ToString() on whatever the argument is.

HTH

Tethys and Baraff like this.
  13. Baraff

Baraff

Thanks for that. Yes a (string) cast did the trick.

Tethys and Arkade like this.
  14. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

I just wish DOF performance cost less expensive. That's the main reason I bought Scion, very natural DOF.

15. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I wish I could change the aberration colours... can that be added?

16. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

Scion doesn't work anymore in 5.4 indeed. Is there any fix for this? This is quite sad..

17. Martin_H

Martin_H

mine works in 5.4. you could try to delete the scion directory and do a fresh reimport from the latest assetstore version.

hopeful likes this.
  18. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

Thank you! I just didn't think about it because of the other comments over here, but indeed: that worked! :)

julianr, Martin_H and hopeful like this.
  19. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Hey @Aieth, @Martin_H , can you remind me about the LUT requirements for Scion? I vaguely remember that Scion LUT were a bit different in format from other tonemapping solutions, so I'd appreciate info on the subject or at least a completely neutral LUT texture. Scion only packs a contrast-enhancing LUT as a sample, which isn't exactly useful as a base for new LUTs.

20. Martin_H

Martin_H

Click on "window -> Scion" to open the LUT converter that comes with Scion. You can convert from the formats "unity, chromatica, and amplify". According to this link amplify uses the same format already:

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-color-grading-100-lut-pack.332947/#post-2302283

That's also how I remember it from using LUTs from that pack.

21. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Ooh, thanks, totally forgot to check the menu! :)

Still, it would be nice to have a neutral LUT included into the package, to quickly test the dual LUT mode of the tonemapper and to serve as a base you can quickly paste into screenshots in PS to create your own textures through screenshot correction workflow.

22. nickpettit

nickpettit

@Aieth Any plans to support single-pass stereo rendering? This post processing looks incredible in VR, but I'm seeing huge gains in performance by using other image effects that support single-pass versus Scion.

23. blackbird

blackbird

seems like he gave up the project

24. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

I vote for extra payment for the upgrade, to keep the Scion development. He is one of the very good one in the asset store. Scion still my best choice thus far. I'm using 5.4, no problems found yet.

sjm-tech likes this.
  25. Gametyme

Gametyme

Tethys and Shodan0101 like this.
  26. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

I already purchased it. No offense to the PRISM author. Scion still better in my case :)

ksam2 and julianr like this.
  27. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

me too...Scion is always present in my projects. I would be happy to pay to keep development alive.:)

julianr likes this.
  28. Gametyme

Gametyme

If you start that then you open the door for all asset developers to do it.

julianr and Shodan0101 like this.
  29. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

Nothing wrong with subscription payment if the asset is totally worth it. It's hard to ask developer to keep developing an asset for over a year, unless a payment is received. And, if other asset developers do it, they should make sure that update is worth the money. Otherwise, nobody pays for it. What I suggest is an extra payment for an asset that has updated over a year at least, to keep the development alive :) Only the very good one can do this stuff, like Inventory Pro for instance.

sjm-tech and Martin_H like this.
  30. MS_3D

MS_3D

Hi - Does the Scion DOF Effect work correctly with transparent Materials?

31. Martin_H

Martin_H

No depth buffer based DOF effect works correctly with transparent materials I think.

32. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

For anyone that gets the comment: Shader not supported,in my case I imported the Image effects with Tonemapping and colorgrading and after that Scion. Scion stopped working and I got the warning. I deleted both the Image effects and Scion and imported then first Scion and after that the Image effects. Then it was all fine surprisingly enough. Strange? Of course there is a reason for this but I don't know which.

33. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Any known reason why it doesn't appear in build even tho it works great in editor?

34. Martin_H

Martin_H

For some assets you need to manually drag the required shaders into the list of always included shaders, or they don't work if they aren't directly used by a material. I'm not sure though if Scion needs this as well.

35. lukas-chrapek

lukas-chrapek

Hi

It is some word form developers if they planing fix bloom in their plugin? In this state it not usable.
    Bloom is broken and it look like sh*t, excuse my language, but everything is blurred especially in dark areas. No of the setting I tried and tried them a lot, every single one have some artifacts in it. and all of them are caused by bloom.
    Only one setting what work somehow is:
    threshold - 0.01
    Very low intensity and other stuff on max value. Other values make dark areas blurry as hell.
    Thanks for answer.

36. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Will Scion ever get support for VR single pass?

Arkade likes this.
  37. BigB

BigB

I Scion working with Unity 5.5 ?
    Last time I tried, wasn't.

38. Arkade

Arkade

I'm not the developer, just another user, but what's up? I haven't tried it myself but maybe post the error and we can try to fix? (There was one further up on this thread with a nice simple change -- we can hope for repeat luck :) )

39. BigB

BigB

I will have to check, some error at compilation

40. Migueljb

Migueljb

Is Scion still being supported or getting updated with new features?

41. chingwa

chingwa

@Aieth hasn't logged in since Aug 12, 2016... o_O

42. Migueljb

Migueljb

Hmm so Scion is a ticking time bomb then ready to not be compatible at any version then were all screwed when that happens. I might have to look at something like Prism. Seems to be constantly being updated with new stuff anyone have experience with that plugin.

43. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I should just keep myself as well from buying assets I'm not going to use immediately, as this, and other assets (like a few ones from Sonic Ether) are probably going to get discontinued or abandoned even before I'm going to be actually able to use them.
    Lesson learned.
    Too bad tho, the asset looked gorgeous.
    In my opinion the Unity Asset Store publisher terms of use should have a clause about forcing the publishers to provide support for at least a couple of months after each new update/submission, or provide full automatic refunds.
    And a reminder email should be sent to publishers to remember them that a certain asset hasn't been updated for a while, and is pending archiviation.
    Non-archived assets should always appear in front of archived assets in the search results, and the weight of ratings (positive or negative) should slowly fade over time when calculating the final rating of the assets.

44. Martin_H

Martin_H

I think the real problem is that the assetstore is financially unviable for all but a few devs. I perfectly understand someone not wanting to keep updating or supporting an asset. I just think there should be a better way to (automatically?) mark assets as deprecated while still providing access and ability to buy them. Someone might want to buy Scion just to look at the code and learn from it, or use it in a project that is locked to an older Unity version.
    For actually using in 5.5+ projects I really don't see the point in most all-in-one post processing assets on the assetstore, since the new official (and free) post fx stack is really great. E.g. the bloom effect is much easier to control and doesn't have the blurryness issue I complained about in this thread.
    I very much agree with your first sentence. Over time I've removed more and more bought assets from my project. Ironically the one still most used by me is the one I originally complained about the most: shaderforge.
    Will be interesting to see if/when Unity will make that obsolete as well by providing their own visual shader editor.

TeagansDad likes this.
  45. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

I wonder if some asset store sellers are getting tired of trying to keep up with changes to Unity every release.
    Also, with Unity now pushing their own camera effects, there's less and less incentive for users to use aftermarket camera effects.
    This is disappointing to me because the other camera effects asset I use also stopped offering support since December.

It doesn't surprise me, I sort of figured this was going to happen once Unity decided to focus heavily on their own post-effects.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Tethys likes this.
  46. blackbird

blackbird

the dev should update this asset or remove it completely it's really annoying it's been months no update not a single word from his side

Gametyme likes this.
  47. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

It's sad since I super-like Scion. And, I want it to grow more :(

48. blackbird

blackbird

sadly the asset store team is useless they don t give refund and they refuse to get in touch with the devs , i don t see anymore to buy assets from here

49. Migueljb

Migueljb

Scion used to be my go to post processing stack. Just had an original great look. If the dev is not gonna support it doesn't make any sense to get stuck on a broken version which will eventually happen. People act like unity is making there own image effects and its like there's room for different looks and effects. Just look at all the Bloom's in the asset store for instance. Good job taking everyone's money and not looking back.

50. blackbird

blackbird

i would recommend to report him to the asset store team because if they get many complaints they will be obliged to get in touch with him or give us refunds .

Shodan0101 likes this.