Search Unity

Scifi Level Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Hedgehog-Team, Oct 15, 2013.

1. dbryson

dbryson

@Hedgehog: Thanks for the explanation. This is a fantastic package and some very nice work. You are right that having to scale things up and fix prefabs isn't the end of the world. I also understand that you can't just upscale the package and issue an update as that would mess up all the people that use the package at its original size.

Have you any plans to create an add on package with more parts? I would be very interested in that.

Thanks.

2. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi DBryson :)

Of course the update is planed , but not for now, because we have many work to do on others products. But we always do what we say :) It take a long time sometime :) But we finish always by doing it (Ex: Toon level kit) :) Do not forget that we are just two persons :) Not a team with 45 gfx artists and 30 coders, but for the moment, like sad Madonna, holiday! :)

Have a nice day dear customers

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  3. Jazzsquatch

Jazzsquatch

Love the look of this kit. It's perfect for my current project.

I am having trouble figuring out the correct snap settings to to be able to easily link together parts such as floor pieces. What's the best way to get easy part placement working?

4. Fritsl

Fritsl

5. dbryson

dbryson

I use .1 with ProGrids, but that should work well with Unity's snapping as well. The key seems to be always start out the object on coordinates that are a multiple of the snap, such as 1.2,3.4,5.8 or 0,0,0 (my favorite, just drag into the hierarchy rather than the scene) and move from there. If you rotate any pieces make sure to fix any inaccuracies (e.g. correct 179.998... to 180.0).

Jazzsquatch likes this.
  6. Griffo

Griffo

Can anyone tell me why the nave navmesh won't go up the stairs correctly please, Thanks.

Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 11.39.15.png Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 11.39.22.png

7. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi,

Sci-Fi Level kit is 50% off $20 (regular price $40) for 2 weeks.

8. bmcv123

bmcv123

Is it possible to combine or atlas the various diffuse textures in this package? I've attempted this with several different atlasing/baking utilities without success.

The issue seems to be that several of the models use multiple materials and that they have "out of bounds UV's" (at least that's what some of the utilities tell me.)

Ideally, I'd like to be able to fuse together the walls, floor, ceiling, and beams into one model that draws from a single material. I've used this method successfully with several other assets, but this one isn't working.

As it stands now, I'm getting spikes of 600 draw calls and an FPS of 12-14 on the iPad 2. So it's not going to work unless I can come up with some way of optimizing it further. I'm only using the prefab corridors that came with the kit at this point.

eridani likes this.
  9. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi bmcv123

"Is it possible to combine or atlas the various diffuse textures in this package?"

We don't try to make this, maybe are you talking about the free tool to compile multi texture under one ? Each time we try to use this tool, we gona get an error :)

"As it stands now, I'm getting spikes of 600 draw calls and an FPS of 12-14 on the iPad 2"

What is the level complexity ? Did you use a culling method ? even if you take the "most optimized kit of the world", you should use a good culling method to display the level and save the FPS to display complex scenes :)

Create a kit requires graphic choices, in fact, More polygons => Less textures, Less polygons => More textures, for this reason that if we want to save the number of texture by objects, we need to have more materials by object. No choice.

12/14 fps on iPad 2 to get this graphic quality is not bad i guess ?

Have a nice day

10. Rufolangus

Rufolangus

Did u manage to fix it? i am having the same problem..?

11. gilley033

gilley033

I agree with bmcv123, it would be nice if the models did not use multiple materials. This is pretty standard practice and the only reason I can see for not having it is bad planning (in some instances, such as the computer station, it makes sense since you need two different shaders, but in most other cases there doesn't appear to be a good reason).

Worse still, there are instances where two different models will use the same two materials but in reverse order. Again, I can see no reason for this besides poor planning (please correct me if there is a good reason).

Personally, this is a factor for me as I am trying to use a mesh combine utility and the multiple materials per mesh, while not a deal breaker, does keep me from achieving max mesh combine power.

My only other complaint is with the random pivot points of models. It would be nice if a consistent strategy were used.

I can live with the pivot points, but it would be great if the material issues were addressed (if possible). Otherwise, the textures/models look fantastic. Well done!

12. unsubstantiation

unsubstantiation

Nice asset, looks good, very price friendly. As others suggested the scale wasn't an issue, I just selected all the prefabs and changed the 3 scales from 1 to 3, it took a min to fix completely. But the skybox confuses me. How is it setup? I tried deleting all the components in the scene and I can still see the skybox in the scene, it is still there... How do i edit it? Or how do I setup my own hidden skybox like that? (I assume it was one of the scripts, but I didn't find it).

13. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi all,

Rufolangus
    Can you give us your Unity version, because we have already issued a bug report to Unity for 4.6.0f3 users

Unsubstantation
    The skybox can be removed with the unity menu :> Edit => Render Setting => Inspector (right) => Skybox Material
    Thanks to talk about the scales :) Because resizing an object seem really hard for the majority :)

Gilley033
    I will try to explain, so ok you want just a material by object ? The problem is : If you want one material per object, you're going to double or triple in terms of texture number, There is no secret. 1 material by object = 1 texture by object.

80 objects = 80 textures... What is the better ? :) The kit have only 15 textures to map more than 110 Meshes. What you gain in terms of shader and drawcall, you will lose in memory and disk space. About the pivot, are you talking about mesh or prefabs ?

Regards and happy new year :)

14. gilley033

gilley033

You could combine four of the textures into one. The resolution would double But you'd be left with a single texture instead of 4 and the ability to use a single material. Of course, the UVs would need to be remapped, but it is an option.

As for the pivot points, I have been using the prefabs, but I also get rid of the parent prefab in most cases (is there a reason for them?), so really I've been dealing with the meshes pivot in most cases.

By the way, is there a way to determine the dimensions of the different models? For precise placement where there are no seems between objects, they would be good to know. For example if I place object 1 and i know it is 5 meters wide, I can place object 2 at 5 meters to have the two objects line up. Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

15. OnePxl

OnePxl

Hold V and grab the one prefab at an edge or corner, and snap it to the existing prefab. Alternatively shift-V puts you into this mode untile you press shift-V again to exit it.

16. gilley033

gilley033

Wow! I guess I haven't done too much level building (too much scripting!). Thanks. That trick definitely makes the pivot points a non issue (at least for me).

ZJP likes this.
  17. ZJP

ZJP

18. thefinn

thefinn

Is it easy to use this kit for a top-down game ?

19. TonyLi

TonyLi

I used this kit for a 3/4-view game prototype. You can't use the demo level as-is, since it has multiple floors and overhead arches that will obstruct the player's view, but you can certainly use all the great models in this kit to build a good top-down environment. Since my prototype was 3/4-view, I had to use a special shader to show where the players were when they were behind high walls. If it's fully top down, you won't have to do this. In any case, I was pleased with the results of using this kit.

20. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

The Scales fix that was suggested does not work for me. Now the demo scenes are all overlapping and I can't test them out with my regular sized character (size 2 tall - unity). I personally would really like to use this asset to test out some Multiplayer stuff I'm testing right now, but I can't use your provided scenes. Please provide some sort of fix that works.

MrDude likes this.
  21. Griffo

Griffo

99thmonkey

I had the same problem, I just added an empty GameObject to the scene, dragged all my Scifi level into it so it was child of the empty GameObject, then resized the empty GameObject to what I needed, problem solved.

22. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Thank you Griffo....

23. ZJP

ZJP

Hi Guys.

You have a new (beautiful) pack

So, i have some questions :
    a) What about the 'hangar extension' for the actual pack?
    b) Do you have to plan an 'exterior extension' (and hangar of course) for the new one?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  24. Griffo

Griffo

:) Love it ..

25. ZJP

ZJP

Yes, me too. :p

26. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Hi TonyLi, long time. Yes you are correct.
    thefinn you would not have any problem making a scene with the pre-made sections either. They fit very well and snap quite easy together.
    We have Kit bashed it some though but only textures but we use it extensively. We will send our new textures to the Hedgehog team so others can use them too. We are getting a lot of press and the scenes we show with this kit are the big hits. Just take the time to play with snapping them together and using the models and you can't go wrong. Good luck.

SecretStudio likes this.
  27. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

ZJP :
    a) What about the 'hangar extension' for the actual pack?
    It was online since a long time :) Check the demo Crematoria :)

b)Do you have to plan an 'exterior extension' (and hangar of course) for the new one?
    Maybe (80% sure) but for the moment we are finishing a big medieval projet

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  28. ZJP

ZJP

Oh, of course. My bad about the hangar. :oops:

I can wait about exterior for the new pack. Good luck for the 'big-mediaval-thing' :p

29. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Just a small screen, but just for you .. shuuuut.. :)

Socrates likes this.
  30. ZJP

ZJP

Wow, you're gifted. :eek:

31. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

ZJP : On espère que tu nous check aussi sur facebook ? Car c'est la que nous communiquons le plus. (Trad ;:We hope that you get news from us via facebook?)

32. ZJP

ZJP

No Facebook account. So, it is not a 'reflex'.:p

Hedgehog-Team likes this.
  33. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

in Unity5 your doors in the crematorium are all marked as Static so they don't move.

34. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Also, the lighting does not look as good as it did in Unity4 now that I've imported to Unity5 (crematorium).

35. Socrates

Socrates

Just so you know, this is probably due to how things have changed in Unity 5, not the asset itself. I just went through the Survival Shooter tutorial on Unity 5 to see how things had changed from Unity 4. There were problems with "Legacy" shaders causing visual artifacts and with the base lighting looking horrible. (For one, the game was noticeably darker under Unity 5 than Unity 4.)

As much as I love having access to all the new features in Unity 5, I feel sympathy for asset developers who are going to be scrambling to get their assets configured properly for all that has changed.

36. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Update on the store now! Thanks. Doors work again and the crematorium looks really nice! Thanks!

Looks like the Doors on the Prefab Visit scene are not set up correctly. Also the doors on all the Prefabs don't work.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  37. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi,

Unity 5 version of SciFi level is available on assetStore, update your project if you need

38. hopeful

hopeful

The update notes say "initial version" though it is 1.1.

I don't mean to nag, but it is better to at least put in a line that says how the new version is different from the previous one.

(Ah, as I was typing this a post came in and I see the new version is U5 compatible. Yippee!)

39. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Unity introduced their new assetstore system, that hosts 2 version one for Unity 4.x and one for 5.x but it shares the same fact sheet. This is transparent to users, if you connect with Unity 5, you download the 5 version, otherwise version 4

We are in the transitional period between the two versions, and we try to do our best to satisfy everyone.

40. hopeful

hopeful

In that case you could say it is "Now compatible with Unity 5 as well as Unity 4." ;)

41. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

you right, I'm going to modify the description.

42. hopeful

hopeful

Sorry to be a pain, Mr. Hedgehog. Probably about 10-20% of my assets never update their release notes, and some never include a readme with the version number. It can get confusing.

Socrates likes this.
  43. Taorcb

Taorcb

Hey Hedgehog,
    This is probably a stupid question, but the doors won't work for me, even using your premade rooms. I code in C#, so I really have no idea how the scripts work or if something's wrong on my end. Can somebody please explain to me how to use them?

And one other thing. It would be nice to have mesh colliders included, especially since I'm building an fps. Bullet holes in the air don't look that great.

44. Taorcb

Taorcb

That was a stupid question. The doors were navigation static. Nothing to see here

45. Quadgnim

Quadgnim

I have a problem with the scifi level kit testing the "Map_02_Crematoria" example level. If I add the level to a parent object and the parent object is rotated, the doors don't open/close correctly. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a flaw in the logic? It looks like to doors open/close relative to world space not local space. Is this something you can provide a fix for? I think it's in Door.cs

46. nproject

nproject

Hi Hedgehog Team,
    I'm purchase your asset Sci-fi level kit (HD),
    1. How to change color in asset?
    2. I don't see exterior asset/prefab in Sci-fi level kit (HD), If I want that, do I also have to purchase non-HD asset ?

Thanks

47. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi,

1- Colors are relative to texture and shader. So you have to change or modiy them
    2- Exterior aren't in this pack, but in classical Sci Fi level Kit

48. nproject

nproject

Can you add exterior in HD pack ? Please :(

Thanks

49. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

@Hedgehog-Team so when is the "Furniture and Machinery" update going to happen as you state in your Crematoria scene Help_B panel? You make it sound like you will be adding drivable vehicles and such....

50. ewr

ewr

hello :D what a beautiful design. is there any sales coming up ? i'm interested but i'm poor :'(

unityunity