Search Unity

Scifi Level Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Hedgehog-Team, Oct 15, 2013.

1. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Great news because we too did some work on the textures to optimize it a bunch. We have one guy who only does optimizing but it would be a lot of work if you changed those on the two asteroid bases already made. We do have big plans on the new stuff but we would hate to have to overhaul two well made scenes.

BTW Lane your project looks awesome. Your doing very good work.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

"BTW Lane your project looks awesome. Your doing very good work. "

I agree, you are not bad too, DreamLarp your project seem good :) Don't panic about textures , Wall_And_Stuff_01 and others do not change. I repeat don't hesitate to post on this topic screen of your projects (that help us to understand how you are using the kit, and help us to do usefull pieces)

3. ZJP

ZJP

Oh p..tain!!!

4. ZJP

ZJP

Very professionnal. As usual.

5. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

We make a lot of video's I will have my guy save one walkthrough to show the insides for you guys.

6. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

cool! inspired by System Shock 2 - great visuals!

7. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Thank you. Those are just two of the asteroid bases but with the new update we will make much more. The scope of our game is very large and this kit is a good part of it. We look forward to all the content this team makes.

8. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Waouhou! Excellent! We are really amazed to see what you made ​​with the kit ... if you knew how we like it ...

Question : Do you plan lightmapping ? Or realtime lightning and shadows ?

9. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

10. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I have been doing the happy dance since I saw the new update.:D

11. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hey Dreamlarp :)

Asking the question because i don't see any lightning on the screenshot ? Any help to lightning ?

12. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Yes we have a lighting guy just for that. We have been getting the layouts and concepts done. We want to see what the area should be like first. The lighting guy also optamizes the levels. We still have a ways to go on all of them but we do have the pipeline set up.

Oh to answer the question. You do not see them because he is trying both to see witch works better for us. When he gives me his report I can let you know.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  13. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Realtime lighting is nice for overall environmental stuff. For models baked lighting is not bad but is case to case.

14. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

"Yes we have a lighting guy just for that."

Oh! Cool :) Can't wait to see the guy work results !

15. quantumsheep

quantumsheep

The new stuff looks very exciting. Had a walk around your level, very impressive :)

A couple of questions/requests if you don't mind?

1. Will the hangar's have doors at all? Will they be interactive?

2. The upcoming furniture/machinery pack.
    a) Can you make some interactive elements please? For example, the lockers are either open or closed. Is there a way to make the door a seperate element so you can animate it opening/closing? (sorry if you can already do this, I've only taken a quick look at the kit!).
    b) A script to power on/off machinery/computers/displays would be awesome (again, if not already available).

The reason I ask is that I'm still just playing with Unity at the moment, and I'm a complete noob at this stuff, so simple helpful things are always useful!

No rush, just asking!

QS =D

16. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hey fleecy friends

"1. Will the hangar's have doors at all? Will they be interactive?"

- Good question :) Oops.. Lol, no we don't create doors for the big exterior arch, but the prefab/script provided for the interior door should work (if you really need big doors, we made a quick update when the pack will be released! promise!)

"Can you make some interactive elements please? For example, the lockers are either open or closed."

- Good idea!

"No rush, just asking!"

- No problem :)

Remember, there is alway a missing object :)

17. quantumsheep

quantumsheep

Yes, yes there is! :)

Thank you my spiky friend, your assets are just awesome. I got the toon level recently and the quality is top notch as usual!

Thank you for providing stuff like this for less able animals!

QS =D

18. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi fleecy friend! Me, i like your "Zx Spectrum Delirum" of the moment (ref to your facebook page :) )

$923473_10153842425770597_1237774822_n.png

PS : I alway forget to click this damn 'i like' but i spy, every customers facebook page... Hedgehog's are watching you..

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  19. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Has it be accepted yet?

20. GregMeach

GregMeach

V1.1.0 has been released... yeah - thank you!!!

PS How do I make the doors actually open/move? I imported into new, existing project and they don't work.
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  21. loveqinqin

loveqinqin

Hi,your Scifi Level Kit is totally cool! I want to use it in my game,but when I build the scene "Map_01_SpaceShip.unity" ,and run it on my ipad mini,the Xcode 5.1 just say something like this:Failed to run ,because of memory pressure.When I delete all the items,and leave just one floor,it can run,no memory pressure.
    May you help me ,what should I do to use it in my game?I am a newer.
    Thanks very much!

22. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Maybe a memory problem on ipad mini (we have not this device) ? Try to reduce lightmap/textures sizes (directly with unity set the lightmap bitmap to 512 and textures to 1024) it should work. We have try the map on ipad 2 without problem with this method.

Just few words to say that the kit had been released. Update it !

Ps: for the doors set the doors static flag to off ;) remember to paste it on if you calculate lghtmap

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  23. GregMeach

GregMeach

Thank you :cool:

PS iPad 2 mini have same memory 512MB, however the 2nd gen mini has 1GB

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  24. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Oh! Ty for the information ;)

25. skwiggs1983

skwiggs1983

I sent an email before I found the forum. The doors were a pain for a few days. now that it is complete, I can continue the level that i was making. these assets are awesome and I cant wait to see what you add to this next.

26. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

You must disable Static flag on doors. This flaf is used for the lightmap, but you need to remove it for moving object.

27. bjornrun

bjornrun

Great asset!
    But two things:
    First time I import this asset, Unity crashes and sends a bug report. Happens every time - but relaunching Unity everything is perfect.
    When I remove the static flag on the doors, a couple of them moves in the wrong direction. Need info how to turn the movement direction without turning the door around.

28. BES

BES

AWESOME asset ...worth every penny!

Figured I would mention that..before I say anything else..

Now to my question..

HOW did you make that planet skybox? ...I have tried before but my results are horrible.. I end up in an inverted sphere or something along those lines...

I attached your planet skybox to the camera itself and it appears like a very realistic planet... I would like to be able to produce the same results with other planets..

29. LaneFox

LaneFox

30. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Would this work for top down game? Is it possible to remove the roofs, for example?

31. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

This looks like a really cool package. I went ahead and bought it but after I download it and then tried to import it into a current project and also a blank project. It crashed Unity3D in both projects. I'm on a brand new Mac and I am running the most current version of OS X and Unity3D. After I restart Unity3D it does import the package on it's own. Seems to run ok. Glad I got it. Looks awesome. :)

This is the Fatal Error I get.

Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!
    Trying to allocate: 8388612B with 32 alignment. MemoryLabel: Texture
    Allocation happend at: Line:391 in /Applications/buildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/Runtime/Graphics/Texture2D.cpp
    Memory overview

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 48694514B | peak: 0B | reserved: 74798420B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 471053246B | peak: 0B | reserved: 478500260B

[ ALLOC_CACHEOBJECTS ] used: 165492B | peak: 0B | reserved: 8388608B

[ ALLOC_TYPETREE ] used: 528370B | peak: 0B | reserved: 16777216B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 132189B | peak: 0B | reserved: 8388608B

32. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

We are starting to texture the whole kit to make buildings ect.. on our planets. I will post some pics here soon as we have some planet sets done.

Hedgehog-Team likes this.
  33. Uncasid

Uncasid

I am curious, are the monitor panels render surfaces so we can change what is on them?

34. skwiggs1983

skwiggs1983

Updated for the FPS game i am working on

$candela 2.PNG

the level is using the kit and candela. using the prefabs and creating new rooms of my own.

$floor 2.PNG

I'll Add more later

35. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Some retexturing and wip levels.

36. GregMeach

GregMeach

37. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Changed. Sorry.

38. GregMeach

GregMeach

n/p and video looks awesome!

39. Fritsl

Fritsl

Hi guys, Hedgehog Team: Your work is amazing!

Since I am doing Android I always sort of stayed out of lightning; I found out how much I can do with 'MatCap' shaders, real time shadows are a pain on slow devices, and I am keeping a toony style anyway - so I was happy till I saw this work!

I've just GOT to include it in my game, and I placed my toony looking character in there and it looks AWESOME! :D

But now I'm facing a problem: Baking. It seams there's SO many places that one can change something that affects the final result.

This package has a trillion lights in it, so each bake takes for ever, and now I have spend days and am still not getting the hang of it.

I can read all the manuals, but I'd really appreciate a 'friendly human answer': How is it done?

How do you know where you are going with Individual camera settings, Render settings, Player settings, Quality Settings, Bake settings..

You what? You set up your game to A), then you render B) and before uploading the game change settings to C)..?

If I wanted to 'just' use the default and amazing Hedgehog settings, and then only experiment with lower qualities till I had the 60 FPS back on..

What would my work flow be then? Render what, change what?

Any tips are much appreciated. Thank you very, very much :)

40. LaneFox

LaneFox

Create a smaller test scene to do quick experiments, get things setup and outputting consistently and then move those settings to the big scenes.

http://brevisgame.blogspot.com/2014/01/moar-lightmapping.html

Just tweak settings, bake, and its attached to that scene.

Hedgehog-Team and Fritsl like this.
  41. Fritsl

Fritsl

Awesome, LaneFox, Thank you. A lot to read there, I'm digging in.

One question remains as the simple newbee Q - I hope I'll get past this level soon, but to help me speed up and for the next newbee landing here:

The conclusion is that 'Baking' is seperate from the rest: The bake is the bake is the bake. Nothing else done afterwards or before changes a bake (no player settings, no change of quality etc)

Everything else is how this bake is shown, right?

Thanks again, some very valuable links there, thanks.

42. LaneFox

LaneFox

Baking is a snapshot or imprint of what the lighting and scene is looking like at the time that you bake it, stamped onto the scene objects.

If you change things in the scene then you need to rebake those parts or the whole thing.

Hedgehog-Team likes this.
  43. Fritsl

Fritsl

Thanks again LaneFox. I understand that part, what confuses me / what I was uncertain about is more like this:

Some parts (in a total top-down perspective) one can do/undo and change as much as one wants on a computer in general.

Like moving an icon to the left or right on the desktop. One can do this till one likes how the desktop looks. (Non-destructive editing)

Other parts means that if changed, things are really like 'changed' and need to be redone or retrieved from backup (Destructive editing) - that would be like opening a text file, changing the content and saving it.

So, what I understand is that the BAKING part is the 'Destructive editing': The part that is not just something you redo, it has to be baked again.

But, more importantly: Everything else (Like mentioned: Individual camera settings, Render settings, Player settings, Quality Settings.. ) is something one can do / undo / change back and forth, and this does not mean that one need to redo the bake. It stays till it's changed.

So when I experiment, I can do a bake, and THEN see what I can get out of that with all the other settings - the bake stays the same.

Not sure if I'm making sense here, but that was that - for the record :D

Thanks again for your time!!

44. Fritsl

Fritsl

Hedgehog Team: I wonder about the scale of everything you did?!

I know there's no such thing as 'a meter' in Unity, but to my knowledge it's 'standard' to think of the standard Cube being 1X1X1 meters.

If that is the case, then the people living in your space station are very small people!

Why is this, what am I missing?

45. Fritsl

Fritsl

AAHAAA!!!!

Now I know why I have so many problems with this kit!!

As far as I can tell, it's scaled down to about 1/3 size of 'normal' for some reason.

So, I happily scale it up.

Now I realize that scaling prefabs / GameObjects does not scale lights.

So it is impossible to use 'out of the box' with the included lights - unless the game has very small people in it :)

Or maybe I'm missing something here?!?

46. LaneFox

LaneFox

Yeah, so you want to crank up the settings for the bake, then reduce any settings that could be used for runtime so that you get better performance. Sure.

The Bake settings (like in Lightmapping Extended) are separate from any runtime settings though. I don't recall which settings might carry through from the player/quality settings.

And yes, I scaled many things up by a factor of 3 as well.

47. Griffo

Griffo

Hi, just downloaded Scifi level kit, but when I go to bake NavMesh only one mesh bakes, any one tell me why please?

Thanks.

EDIT .. OK done it now ..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  48. Fritsl

Fritsl

@Hedgehog Team: Can you tell me why everything is made so small? It's like 1/3 of 'standard scale' - is there a reason then I'd like to know so I am not making conflicts.

Thanks!

49. dbryson

dbryson

I agree, why is everything so small? If there is a good reason, please let us kow. Also, I find a lot of errors where models don't line up with small position and rotation errors that I can't fix. I notice you seem to hide those in the demo scenes with pillars and pylons. Why not fix the alignment problems?

Edit: I noticed today I much less problems aligning things if I used the prefab's pivot rather than the object's center. Also, it is very easy to click on a prefab in the scene and actually get the mesh inside the prefab and end up moving/rotating that and messing up the prefab such that when you duplicate it you will have problems lining things up. This is a Unity problem and not a problem with the asset. I ended up scaling up the models, which messed up all the prefabs and example scenes; but makes it easier since I don't have to scale everything up everytime I add it to the scene. Overall, a very good package with a few problems.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  50. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

DBryson / Fritsl : The kit has been made a long time ago now ! And we are not perfect :) We can make errors...
    But honestly, resizing a prefab is not a disaster, in comparison to the work provided in the kit...

And now, unity ask to the publishers to respect the unity size 1:1 (this was not asked by the past), and the problem now is :

"How to explain to the customers, that they need to rebuild all the levels design of they games, due to new size ? :)"

The only solution that we can give to you is (and we use it all the time) : place a empty gameobjet at the center of the scene (0/0/0) and parent all prefabs (you should not work with the fbx meshes, but with the prefabs only to get correct pivots) on it.

(See attached file)

So after your level has been builded, you have just to resize this primary gameobject to resize the entire map. The only thing to change is the lights ranges... But with a (prefab modification => apply) you can do the thing quickly.

If your resize by two the primary gameobject (parent of the scene) you need to multiply the light range by the same. Because unity do not change the light range in a prefab when you resize it. It's not the death :)

DBryson, for the pivot's placement is very important because it will define how easy will be to place your piece in the level. A general rule, is to place it in one of the "object" extremities.

Some people prefer to place it on the center of the mesh, but I don't think that's the best approach, because it makes scaling and rotating a little harder.

Exemple for a wall it's more easy to place a second wall by the extremitie than the center :

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014