Search Unity

Scifi Level Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Hedgehog-Team, Oct 15, 2013.

1. unitychristy2

unitychristy2

Hi you mention Unity Pro often, will all these prefabs work in Unity basic?

2. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi,

You don"t need Unity Pro to use Sci-Fi, it's a pack of 3d models ...

3. Jlpeebles

Jlpeebles

Really liking the pack so far!
    Stasis tubes + transparent pipe group
    $stasis.png

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  4. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hey :)

Glad if you like it :) Nice picture, but if i can ? here's a Hedgehog (beautifull!) tip to improve the rendering , sorry for double image post.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  5. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Any news on an update? Maybe a Christmas gift for us all?

6. LaneFox

LaneFox

There is some great stuff in here. It's a little low poly for my taste but in general is a well thought out, clean and easy to use kit.

Why did you choose not to put colliders on any of the prefabs? I'm accustomed to putting the colliders on the prefabs and not needing to build them separately in the scene.

Having the lights in the prefabs is nice, I think. Despite the fact that a lot of people would want to do this themselves I think it saves me time creating the lights and adjusting the settings manually. It's nice that they're setup for Baked Only (I think), since I could go in and put live lights in if I wanted to anyway.

There's some language translation stuff worth revising.
    • The "Fence" is called Handrail, and is generally 1 1/2" - 2" thick. The "yellow fences" look really thin. Their purpose is to give the person something to hold and also to be strong enough to prevent a person from falling into them, breaking, and falling past them. Sometimes they have a small 'kicker' plate across the bottom to keep feet from sliding out the bottom. These things look like toothpicks and wouldn't save anyone from falling.
    • "Air Grid" is called a Vent.

The textures are well compacted and efficiently used. I think they're a little to crispy clean for my tastes but it will be pretty easy for me to go in and modify them a bit without much trouble. A nice alternative download might be spec maps since these textures are quite grey/flat and could use some shine. Shaders are helping but it just feels like something is missing.

Requests:
    • More consistent floor tile textures. The provided is good, but something that is simply "tiles" and doesn't have any abnormal, oblong shapes in it.
    • Spec Maps
    • Grittier details in the textures, not filth and dirt, just detail to shape up the actual texture of the surface, like brushed metal for instance. It all looks kind of like shiny cardboard right now.
    • Pivot points on anything that should or could move set properly (pivot on the box lid is in the middle, i needed to use a wrapper object on it)
    • The rounded shapes are really jagged, clearly for mobile, but for PC's this it would be expected to see some higher poly detail, at least in the rounded edges.

It almost looks cartoony in some places, and I think its because of the opaque textures that are so plain. Improvements in that area would really improve the quality I think.

7. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hey everybody :)

dreamlarp : Sure, we have just finished the Toon Level Kit update, just let a break :) and the next update will be for the Scifi level kit et next the medieval.

zerobounds : Thanks for the reviews we take note about your remarks, you are right about floors, new ones will be changed/added for the next release. About rounded shape you are right the pack has been made for tablet (from the start) . Maybe in the future we will add new pieces with more polygons :)

8. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

All great news thank you. We have started making a bunch of levels with your kit and look forward to the new stuff.

9. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

You wanted to see some of our WIP's with your kit...

Attached Files:

10. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

This reminds me of the System Shock 2 HRP so much. That's a good thing, BTW. ;)

11. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Thank you. This kit will be a big part of our game. With the new update we will use it even more. We have several levels being made now with just these assets. Not too long from now we will post a WIP thread. But anyone looking to buy this kit should.

12. LaneFox

LaneFox

13. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Excellent mix between our kit and the very good asset from mickael O :) (Well done the elevator !)

14. LaneFox

LaneFox

Yeah the Elevator was kind of a surprise to me, it came together pretty well, I think.

Just brainstorming some ideas for extra content - You might think about adding (later) some thinner, smaller, partition/interior type walls to segregate rooms without the huge thickness of the current prefabs. It's hard right now to make a condensed interior area with perhaps personal quarters, bunks, or something of that sort because the walls available are all several feet thick. It would be trivial for someone to make their own or rescale the current prefabs (I worry about texture stretching and batching with this though) but would also be cool if there were a basic set of thin walls in the kit.

On future additions with corners, I think the pivot should be on the intersection of the outer edge of the wall corner. That way you can use the object position to align it with another prefab on both X and Y rather than the pivot being on only one wall. Make sense?

15. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

Is the planet included in the demo scene(s)?

16. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

The tower of part of our landing station area.
    $Alisia2WIP.jpg

17. LaneFox

LaneFox

Yes, its a skybox.

18. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

I can walk through several of the interior walls. Is that expected and/or can I fix it?

19. LaneFox

LaneFox

You have to add colliders.

20. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

On my system (Latest Unity Pro) OSX the doors are not moving. Any body else having this problem?!

21. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@Devision4 - I think it was mentioned that these components were accidentally marked as static.

@Hedgehog Team - The performance of the demo level is pretty poor on my older iMac (around 10-15fps), is there any quick tips for improving it without my having to drill through and find what the slowdown is :)

22. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Thank you Johnny I try that!

23. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Wouhaou ;) few questions! i'll try to reply to all :

Lostlogic : It's normal, to get a more fluid balad we don't put colliders everywhere...

dreamlarp : Try to add the piece named : Column_02 to the four corners of the base :)

LaneFox : Thanks for the review, you're absolutely right, it lacks the thin walls. It will be added in the update. :)

Devision4 : Yes, remove the static flag on the doors (remember to activate it when calculing lightmaps)

JohnnyA : Damn! It's strange to get better FPS on the ipad ? Tips to improve fps ? humm ? it's not very easy, but you can try to reduce the textures size, via unity. Then, check if you have more than one pixel light (use just one, on the camera, to get specular/normalmap), reduce lightmap sizes (try 256 or 512) else i can't really help you :/

(just by cusiosity, what mac model ? because i'm working on imac too (i5))

Just few informations about hedgehog team plan :)

- First, we celebrate Christmas with our families :)

- In late december / early January we will release a new product (almost finished)

- And then we will work on the release of scifi level kit ! As we have asked many things (more furniture, more machinery, hangars, new flooring and new ceilings and walls thin now...) and as it should please everyone :) we will make a release that might contain a little of everything, to keep consistency in the release. but promised there will have the hangars :)

- And after the release of scifi level kit we will release the medieval level of kit. Here's a little bit our program :)
    So, it's pretty funny to see that the kit that was not really planned to do outside, finally ...it gives us ideas for a future release :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  24. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Thanks, now its working!

YES HANGARS!!!!!! Cant wait.

25. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Haaa your kung fu is much better than mine. Thank you.

26. LaneFox

LaneFox

Been butchering up the base textures and playing with lightmapping. These changes are pulling away from the super-clean star-trek look but it suits Brevis better. I've been able to do some very cool things with this kit!

[video=youtube_share;bO24_eXKe0M]http://youtu.be/bO24_eXKe0M

27. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

I'd LOVE to have a huge ship hangar attachment... Also, can you guys make custom add-ons (for a fee?) I have a few needed items for my project in particular is why I ask. They would also benefit the community as part of the pack but I can't wait for them to randomly show up. ;)

28. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Wow great work Lane. I like the new texturing. Here is just a bit of our WIP.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/bionic-marine-command-online/videos/alisia-space-station-wip

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  29. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

cool man

30. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Very impressive! May I ask what kind of windows desktop UI you are using? its awesome

31. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

LaneFox : Impressive ! When I see what you made ​​with a kit that was not as originally planned for it. This gives us ideas for future achievements and updates!

Lostlogic : Its planed for the next update :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  32. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

33. ZJP

ZJP

Have a look here... :cool:

34. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi ZJP :)

Thanks for informations :) This lightning stuff seem really good !

:)

35. lsgheero

lsgheero

Awesome asset! Cannot wait for the next update. I haven't gone through every post so I apologize if this has already been mentioned...

Would it be possible to get an elevator lift?

36. quantumsheep

quantumsheep

*friendly poke at the hedgehog with a very long stick*

:D

37. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi everyboy :)

Just few words to talk about the update :) It's not yet finished, and the screenshot are wip. (the map can be changed)

We are finishing the docking bay :) ! We hope that the users asked us , will be happy :) We need create some pieces of exterior element before releasing the pack.

lsgheero : not this time! :) but the future update should be based on "machinery and furniture", we need to take one direction to make updates,by theme if you prefer... But when we see the levels made by users, we think that the urgency was to make exterior elements first :)

We got alway problem with attached images, if you don't see them. Check our facebook page.

Please don't ask, "when it should be ready?", we say soon :) We take our time, but just to be better :)

Right button => Show image to see bigger version

$01.jpg

$02.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  38. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

VERY nice!

In Chrome that doesn't exist, but "Open image in new tab" works.

39. hopeful

hopeful

I really like the use of wide open space in this particular screen shot. :)

I prefer that game settings (doorways, ceilings, rooms, etc.) be a bit larger than what we commonly find in real life, so it's easier to move things like player cameras, large groups of characters, and giant robots around.

40. ZJP

ZJP

Woo!!!!! :eek:MG!!!

41. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hey :) thanks for comments !!! glad to ear this !

Here some fresh screenshot from filax (actually, is mastur... with the 'lightning', when it's done, the pack should be released soon), the current screenshot are WIP , and change hours by hours with him :)

As you can see on one of shot, the exterior elements can be used for interior too... To avoid the 'cubished' style for rooms :) We hope you like it!

Filax note : Beast radiosity lightmapper, is a pure piece of code... I want to see my map with Candela lightning :)

$Capture d’écran 2014-03-08 à 00.12.09.png

$Capture d’écran 2014-03-08 à 00.12.36.png

$Capture d’écran 2014-03-08 à 00.13.08.png

$Capture d’écran 2014-03-08 à 00.16.42.png

$Capture d’écran 2014-03-08 à 00.17.00.png

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  42. Archania

Archania

Looks awesome.

43. LaneFox

LaneFox

Looks solid, nice work!

44. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

A exterior screenshot , specialy for Zjp, DreamLarp and LaneFox :) In reference to your screenshot and your respective projects :)

$Capture d’écran 2014-03-11 à 11.53.57.png

45. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

You guys are awesome. This is better than I imagined.

46. LaneFox

LaneFox

Looking great! I see lots of new shape ideas coming out there and you've really extended the asset as a whole with them =)

47. Archania

Archania

Absolutely beautiful. So glad I picked this up. Can't wait for the update. Keep it up.

48. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Thanks guys :)

We hope to release the pack since 1 or 2 week (we have terminated the texturing, we have just to fill the two big empty space under the base :) And add one or two objects :) else thoose objects will be added for the next release (machinery and technical stuff).

See ya :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  49. LaneFox

LaneFox

did you make changes to the existing textures or are all of the new assets using either the same old ones or entirely new files?

I ask because I've overhauled a lot of the textures and it may be hard to merge the update.

50. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi LaneFox

Excellent question! No we have not change the textures, because we suspected that some users have made ​​changes :)

A new "Wall And Stuff texture" as been included, and the new pieces of the kit has been textured with a mix between olders and new texture. In the pack we add a new directory called : "Flat Textures (to make your hown style)"

In this folder you will find all kit textures without photoshoped bevel ,dust or scratch, to help you to make your hown version by selection/effect/coloring etc...

In you case, you have just to overwrite the kit texture by your hown :)

PS : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK9ZHpyBx_4#t=100
    ok i see your changes )

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014