Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Science learning gaming

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Revek, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Revek

Revek

You put coop with browsing in game and train to do science which achieves your findings and adds it to your gaming avatar or rpg skill, Would like to add this to gaming aspirations in rpgs ...

Teila likes this.
  2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Fire up google. There are plenty of games that already do this as a way of teaching science. There are others that use science and progression as a mechanic. There are even citizen scientist games that allow players to do actual research.

Whatever you are after, its out there.

3. Teila

Teila

You know what is good about this? The coop part. I am a scientist and almost all science is done with others, either through cooperation in a lab or in the field, comparing and contrasting research, writing publications, or even just bouncing ideas off of each other.

I homeschool my kids and the science is the most difficult part. When they have labs, they are doing them in isolation from other kids. A game where it actually teaches people, not just kids, how to work together to advance science is a great idea!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    TonyLi and JoeStrout like this.
  4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

There are so many classic science experiments that could be done through simulation. Even when I was a kid (back when computers were made of stone and required inconveniently large armies of slaves to provide motive power), I remember thinking that studying Mendel's pea pods would be so much more fun if we could virtually cross-breed the peas and work out the inheritance laws ourselves.

And yeah, much of that has been done by now... but I'm sure there's more. And I only have enough time myself to cover space colonization. :) Please go for it!

AndrewGrayGames, TonyLi and Teila like this.