Search Unity

Sci Fi Top Down Game Template - PolygonR

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mefisto1982, Apr 19, 2018.

1. cutsdbz

cutsdbz

I love your template and I am working on a big project. I do have a question. Is it possible to apple a third person camera to the player? This is an early built I did and wanted to add a third person view as an option.

BetaMark and Mucossa like this.
  2. play_unity729

play_unity729

I want to buy the assets but looks like the Dev it's un responsive to the forum

anycolourulike and d1favero like this.
  3. TechSinsN

TechSinsN

He is very responsive on email

Deniz-B likes this.
  4. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

The asset is great, I haven't left an official review yet, but the developer is very responsive very email. I emailed him before I purchased with some concerns and he answered them all and even took a few screenshots. The asset has had a few updates since I purchased it so I know he's still fixing bugs and adding features.

5. bholland

bholland

Hey Everyone, just got the asset and this is probably a stupid question but when I look at the demo scenes I open the main menu and click single player, it takes me to character selection, but then I can't move on from there. All of the scenes are entered in the game settings, but I can't get past character selection. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but I can't figure it out.

6. TechSinsN

TechSinsN

Press "e" and it will work

7. Xefan

Xefan

Hi, I can't seem to load this asset properly anymore using the latest version of it (1.9). I've tried in Unity 2019.1.1, 2019.1.12, and 2018.4.5. I get the following error for each and every material, it appears as if all the materials are broken:

Failed to load 'C:/Dev/Asset Test/PolygonR - Sci Fi Top Down Game Template/Assets/SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete/ResourcesFolder/VFX/Bullets/T_VFX_Generic_Bullet_GREEN_D.mat' because it was serialized with a newer version of Unity. (Has a higher SerializedFile version)

I also get the same error on other files:

Failed to load 'Temp/Export Package/30a2838a47c0aab44ad303dae6d16909/00000000000000004000000000000000/asset' because it was serialized with a newer version of Unity. (Has a higher SerializedFile version)

anycolourulike likes this.
  8. p_hergott

p_hergott

hows the ai in this? supports generic? can be customized? dynamic? can easily be added on to?

9. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

hi i'm interested in the asset too.. is this asset any sort of save game system in it??
    and a classi inventory system with slots ect?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  10. coolyy

coolyy

I was download v1.9 and then
    upload_2019-9-12_17-38-35.png

upload_2019-9-12_17-38-45.png

upload_2019-9-12_17-38-55.png

upload_2019-9-12_17-39-33.png

who can help me

Attached Files:

11. Supersilvers

Supersilvers

moosesnWoop likes this.
  12. Morphius68

Morphius68

Hi Great asset but have a query when playing with a joystick - how do you aim?!? I'm probably missing something obvious, but any help appreciated ....

13. YX_Iain

YX_Iain

Looks like this asset is being sold under false pretences.

It clearly says on the Asset Store page this supports Unity 5.3.4, however when I open it on Unity 5.6.2 I am finding that hardly any of the sample scenes are included.

Case in point:
    upload_2019-12-1_16-56-55.png

Care to explain why these are missing and why it is claimed that the latest version (1.9) supports Unity 5.3.4 when it clearly does not?

Edit: In fact it looks like if you open this on 5.6 you are actually opening V1.2 of this asset!

That's some shocking misadvertising right there since you have not bothered to update the Unity 5 payloads when each new version of your asset has been released.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  14. Rich_A

Rich_A

I agree, I don't understand why you would use a fundamental framework asset like this on such an ancient version of Unity.

15. YX_Iain

YX_Iain

Because I have a full license key for the full version of Unity 5, and I do not have the money to upgrade to a full version of Unity 2019.

Although I am finding it weird that randoms are questioning why I am using Unity 5.6 instead of asking why the asset was being advertised as supporting 5.3.4 upwards. That is (at the time of writing) false advertisement, no matter how you spin it. I'm happy to change my review if the Unity 5 payload is updated, however right now the functionality does not reflect what is advertised, period.

16. ionbrainz

ionbrainz

I happy with the work completed on this project
    I was wondering if there was a way to have the aiming target support high and low terrains
    when I start the player at a high point, the target is angle down.
    when I start the player at a low point, the target is angle up

Is there any way to alternate / deviate the bullet's trajectory? Currently, they only travel in X-axis, but I want them to go with the angle of elevation that the player´s cursor is currently at; these could allow me to figure out a way to critical hit...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  17. lolclol

lolclol

no mobile support ?

18. Diogof

Diogof

Can we know when version 2.0 comes out?

moosesnWoop likes this.
  19. CrazyLabs

CrazyLabs

Hi, when is the new update?

20. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

Hi there any chance for mobile rig system support??
    (Joysticks,touch solution)

21. Yunori

Yunori

Hi, thank you for your awesome project. I noticed 2 bugs about the vehicles. The first one is that we can't exit a vehicle that is turned off, and the second one is that the enemies will not attack the tank if you enter the tank before the enemy's creation (because the "player" obj disappears, so they got no targets). I saw that you tried to find a hack by setting the tag of the tank to "Player", but it's not working :'(.

22. collins777c

collins777c

Just going off of the 1.8v demo, but does this work out of the box with dual stick controller (Xbox360)? As is, the player needs the mouse to change the aim direction and the right stick just engages the aim button. I need to be able to manipulate the aim direction with the right stick.

23. ozodic

ozodic

Anyone know how to switch between top down and 3rd person mode?

24. ozodic

ozodic

I got it to work, and its awesome!! (needed to edit the code a bit, but the comments really helped)

25. lyndontroy

lyndontroy

What is the new "Procedural walking" feature?

26. micheal332001

micheal332001

hi there

This is a great asset and works great.

I have one problem at the moment when i have a turret shooting enemy's and i through a grenade i get this error

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. PrBullet.DestroyGrenade (UnityEngine.Vector3 HitNormal, UnityEngine.Vector3 HitPos, UnityEngine.Transform HitTransform) (at Assets/SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete/Scripts/PrBullet.cs:182)
    3. PrBullet.Update () (at Assets/SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete/Scripts/PrBullet.cs:155)
    is there a fix i can do.

Any help would be great.

27. micheal332001

micheal332001

reported a problem in last post almost 2 weeks ago and no reply.

28. micheal332001

micheal332001

looks like the author does not check this forum

29. TechSinsN

TechSinsN

30. micheal332001

micheal332001

thank you mate

31. Kreshi

Kreshi

I wanted to test your asset by downloading the demo, but somehow the downloadable demo doesnt have an executable to start the demo.

32. BetaMark

BetaMark

Hey Kreshi -- I just checked and it does look like the demo is missing the Exe. I've purchased it and I'm actively working on a prototype with the asset though -- so I'm happy to answer any questions you've got. Just hop on the discord as I'm in there pretty regularly :)

33. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Hey all, I have a couple of questions if you don't mind: I set up my player no problem in the latest build, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to set up the camera, I can't find any info on it in his vids or the pdf. The character selection screen also says to press start once I have selected a player - where or what is the start button? There isn't one in the menu.... The camera is the big one though - I have no idea where the setup info for that is. Using 2019.4. Thanks.

34. BetaMark

BetaMark

Hey Wheelbarrow -- welcome to the club.

I'll answer the "easy" one first -- start is E (the "use" key) for player 1 / keyboard + mouse. You can find where the keys for keyboard and mouse are setup in Unity's Edit -> Project Settings -> Input Manager -- and then expand the "Axes" list. Check the attached "Axes - use.png" for how that looks on my machine.

Once you get into the game, if you are using the top down camera, you can press F1 and get some onscreen help text to give you the basics on how the developer expects you to control the character as well.

Now, onto your harder to answer question :)

Depending on which demo scene you are looking at -- the PrGameSetup should be a script attached to a gameObject named something like "MultiplayerLocalGame" or "TowerDefenseGame". Just look for the GameObject with that PrGameSetup.cs script attached.

Inside of PrGameSetup, look for the "Player Settings" which should point to a ScriptableObject named something like "Default Player Player Settings".

Inside of the ScriptableObject, It defines what the camera types are and it allows you to toggle between the top down and third person camera. NOTE: Scriptable objects don't work like gameObjects where they forget things between play sessions -- once you set something in a scriptable object, it stays.

Getting to (and changing) the camera is probably best explained in a vid. See the dropbox link below:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6qll24w8fdmqis/finding the camera.mov?dl=0

With all that said, you should join the polygonR discord. For the next few weeks while I'm finishing up my prototype, I'll be in there trying to help others with the template and trying to answer questions as often as I can.

Attached Files:

raul3d likes this.
  35. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Many thanks for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time :) I will give your suggestions a shot, and see how I go.

Had to edit this, sorry. When I refer to the camera, I mean where is it? In older versions, the camera was part of the player setup, now it isn't. Where do I find how to set up my camera of choice in a new scene of my own, or even his empty start scene. When I setup my player, there is no camera options at all, how do I tie the player to a new camera? I have tried dragging and dropping his top down prefab into my scene and setting my player toon as the follow target, but then the whole system goes to sh*t and I can't aim properly etc. There must be some way to hook one of his cameras into the player? Please note I only do single player, and then I like to build my own scene, normally I start from his default empty start scene, and delete what I don't want. Thanks again for your time.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  36. BetaMark

BetaMark

I'm glad I could help. I'll respond to your two main questions and provide a video below to show how I got to those answers. TL; DR: Check the video link at the bottom.

I strongly recommend you start by just opening the 2a demo scene located in `Assets/SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete/Scenes/2a_DemoScene_SinglePlayer_Scripts.unity` and using that scene to dig in and understand how the developer intended for this template to work.

When I refer to the camera, I mean where is it?
    The three prefabs for the camera choices are in `Assets/SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete/Resources/Cameras` and they are selected in the `Assets/SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete/GameSettings/DefaultPlayerSettings.asset` scriptable object (assuming you are looking at the same demo scene I am).

Where do I find how to set up my camera of choice in a new scene of my own, or even his empty start scene?
    That one is harder to answer.

In that scene, you should see a GameObject in the Hierarchy called `MultiplayerLocalGame` -- that is where all the magic starts.

The `MultiplayerLocalGame` GameObject should have a `Assets\SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete\Scripts\LocalMultiplayer\PrGameSetup.cs` script component on it. That script is responsible for spawning the player. If you are going to drop those two into the scene yourself, you should read through the entire `SpawnPlayer` method to see all the things the code is expecting to do to the character so that you can recreate that yourself in your own code. I do not recommend spawning him in and just a properly setup PrGameSetup to save yourself a lot of headache though.

Now, in the single player case, the camera is spawned in via the script `Assets\SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete\Scripts\Character\PrCharacterController.cs` which is attached to the Character that is spawned from the prefab of `Assets/SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete/Resources/Player/Soldier_LOD0_2.0_White.prefab`.

I did a screen and voice recording talking through all of that here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qubtunavk53enez/how camera and character get spawned sci fi top down.mkv?dl=0

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  37. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

You're a good man, thanks so much for all your efforts, I really do appreciate it. The video you linked to has me wondering if my download is corrupted. All of his scenes and characters have the pink instead of the correct material for me, weapons as well, which it seems is not a problem for you. Secondly, when I tried to run that same scene that you used in your vid, no player spawns at all for me. I also set up my own toon following his video instructions re using the soldier white duplicate as a base, and that is where I am now, because no camera setup is included with him, though his video would suggest otherwise, for me at least, because he starts that same level as you used with his new character.
    Maybe I've used the wrong version of his soldier white, I dunno.

I've been using this asset for years (I bought it in 2017), doing a lot of bug finding for him, and I suggested a couple of years ago he set it up so that the player toon didn't have to be on the same 'y' level all the time, ie it could shoot up and/or down. He said he was looking into it, and 2 years later this new version comes out, that, even after all my time using this asset, has me completely flabbergasted. Can the player be on different height levels now, without his gun either pointing up or down all the time, depending on player height?
    Anyway, I'm yammering on, so I will go away now, and maybe re-import the asset. Thank you again for all your assistance and effort. I wish the author would be as helpful, I emailed 3 weeks ago and still waiting for a reply.
    Cheers.

38. BetaMark

BetaMark

The video you linked to has me wondering if my download is corrupted.
    Nope, you are just using a newer version of Unity that requires you to convert all of your materials over to the universal render pipeline. I had done that previous to recording the video. You can search the forums for how to do that, as there are multiple videos. This one is actually Unity's fault, as they should have *NEVER* forced a conversion from PBR over to URP (or HDRP) without including some kind of backwards compatibility.

To avoid that step, you can use older versions of unity editor (perhaps 2018.4's LTS release) and I think the textures will just work for you.

Secondly, when I tried to run that same scene that you used in your vid, no player spawns at all for me.
    I mentioned at the beginning of my video that you must have already selected your character and had that selection saved. To do that, fire up the
    Assets/SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete/Scenes/0_DemoScene_MainMenu.unity 
    first, click on single player, and then in the scene selection, press E to start the game with the character instantiated. I believe after you've gone through that flow once, you can continue to start from
    Assets/SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete/Scenes/2a_DemoScene_SinglePlayer_Scripts.unity
    directly.

I suggested a couple of years ago he set it up so that the player toon didn't have to be on the same 'y' level all the time, ie it could shoot up and/or down
    This is a great suggestion, but I don't see it implemented in the engine as far as I can tell.

Can the player be on different height levels now, without his gun either pointing up or down all the time, depending on player height
    Yes and no. The player can jump and crouch. When you are crouched, you fire lower and are more accurate. I don't think the engine allows you to the fire the weapon when in air, but you could certainly add that.

Also, you can try the ThirdPerson camera -- which is probably what the developer built to allow you to aim up and down the Y axis. It would allow you to shoot things above your head or something on a lower platform.

If you want to continue to use the top down camera, I don't know how you could aim "higher" without a "selector" based targeting and aiming system of an enemy (like what Zelda Breath of the Wild does) but that would be an entirely different combat mechanic than what this template does. It would be a lot of fun to build though, just entirely different.

If you have an existing game that implements top down full 3d aiming like you are proposing, send me some youtubes of that game mechanic, and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction on how to do it with the template.

I wish the author would be as helpful,
    Who knows what is going on in the authors life right now -- they could be sick, or tending to someone who is right now. I'm trying to help where I can while they can't answer questions when I'm pretty sure I know the answer. A lot of stuff is brand new to me though, so I can't speak on everything.

39. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

I'm using 2019.4, he says it's good for 2019.3, so it should work re the pink mats, and yes, I know how to fix it, the point is I shouldn't have to.
    Sad to see he didn't implement the height fix, which is the only reason I updated the asset. When I say shoot up or down, I mean the player can climb to a floor above 0 on the 'y', and still shoot in a straight line, which was impossible in earlier versions, as was going below 0 on the same axis - in each case the player would literally aim up or down all the time, depending on which height variance they were on, making it impossible to shoot straight ahead, due to the way he set the aiming up based on 0.5 a unit above 0.

I think I'll give this new version a miss, and go back to my project using an earlier version, it works fine, as long as I keep the level set at 0 on the Y axis :) I did manage to put a working lift in it, but I have to disarm the player before he goes up, and re-arm him when he comes down again, do avoid the weird angle the player assumes if he's armed. Height is irrelevant if the player isn't carrying a weapon, as the height issue does not affect the unarmed animations because the aiming is disabled. I have a video of it somewhere, I may put it up here if I can find it. Cheers.

40. BetaMark

BetaMark

I dove into the aiming code a bit more and and I see the following things that might be of interest to you (in build 2.11):

In MouseTargetPos() there is an option to allowVerticalAiming which doesn't lock the FinalPos to y 0. You can check that box to true in the PrCharacterController.cs component under the aiming section.

Now, I don't know the layermask part well enough to make it raycast properly, but I've turned on the allowVerticalAiming, and it appears that I can aim up and down depending on where my cursor is, but it isn't raycast hitting all the things I think it should, so you'd probably have to update the Physics.Raycast layermask to get that to behave as expected.

from PrCharacterController:

private void MouseTargetPos()
    {
    if (m_Cam && !useThirdPersonCamera)
    {
    Ray ray = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(Input.mousePosition);
    RaycastHit hit;
    if (Physics.Raycast(ray, out hit, 2000f, 9))
    {

Vector3 FinalPos = new Vector3(hit.point.x, 0, hit.point.z);

if (allowVerticalAiming)
    FinalPos.y = hit.point.y;
    AimTargetVisual.transform.position = FinalPos;
    AimTargetVisual.transform.LookAt(controlledCharacter.transform.position);

}
    } ..... <SNIPPED>
    }

41. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

@mccorkle Well, I finally decided to get back to this and figure out what I missed when I bothered you with all those queries, and I figured it out.
    The reason for all the pink is because even though he says he is using the urp pipeline, by default he does not set a scriptable render pipeline (in project settings), which means any urp-compatible material shows up pink, which in turn means he is not REALLY using the urp pipeline. So just importing regular mats works, it does not have to be urp specific if you choose to leave it at his rubbish default setting.
    I'm not sure about the height thing, he has some options re "target height", so I will have to check that out.

Thanks again for your patience, I appreciate you taking the time to try to help. In the end, taking a break from this asset while using the earlier version, then coming back to this to sort it out worked, I had simply missed an important minor step in his video that he blew over while waffling on about something irrelevant.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  42. BetaMark

BetaMark

43. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

@mccorkle Thanks mate, I'll have a look. Now that I have it working, more broken bits show up. If I try and increase the weapon limit for the player, the player starts on fire(!!), with no movement control, and 2 red errors. Same thing if I change the initial starting weapons. I've sent him a couple of emails, be interesting to see if he replies with fixes.

I have to assume that a lot of the buyers of this asset just use it as is, without setting up their own player toons and weapons. I've attached some screenies of what I am doing with the earlier version in Unity 2017.4. I still have some work getting the IK positions for the hands, especially on the rocket launcher, but overall it's going quite nicely.
    It was all a lot easier to do with that version of the asset.
    Edit:
    Just for the fun of it, I uploaded 1 image of my player on fire when I start the scene in this new version after changing the weapon limit - WTF!! :)

Good luck with your next effort, I hope it works out for you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  44. Relihschneider

Relihschneider

HI @mccorkle, im working on Argentine Game since 2019.
    since the pandemic started 8 months ago I have not been able to progress
    it was more easy to me talk with the programar 'cause he is Argentine too
    If any Argentine are interested on make something like this, can contact privately.
    I am more of a designer than a programmer

ADDED: the character has its own light, force fields, volumetric lights, rain effects, and various objects such as garbage cans can be moved and detructables, they are not static,
    added water (not in the screenshots)
    Added Decals On Terrain
    All low poly graphics are made by me, except the assets of this template

i upload some Screenshots by the way of a Isometric Police Game (Multiplayer maybe) based on Argentina Capital Federal

Attached Files:

• 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    zeb33, Daylonne and muddmaster like this.
  45. alexxx9799

alexxx9799

I have tried a lot of times but I can't make the new Character Wizard work. I used several humanoid models... Does anyone have the instructions or a tutorial? thanks

46. squeakyrat

squeakyrat

Hi there, recently bought the asset, having a similar issue as previously described with the rendering pipeline causing assets to turn pink - have tried suggestions + video instructions.

2018 LTS won't work either due to a missing dependency on uGUI.

Suggestions? Is there an updated version to work with 2019 LTS or later?

47. BetaMark

BetaMark

Hey @oomta, if you are still looking for help to get this resolved, ping me (@betamark) over on the discord channel and I'll help walk you through getting your textures updated for the right render pipeline.

48. virtualGuo

virtualGuo

How is the input manager set up

49. BetaMark

BetaMark

This template uses the old input system by default.
    In Unity 2020, the keys associated to each player's input is defined in Project Settings -> Input Manager.
    Then, you match up what is defined in Input manager to the Default Player Settings in your Pr Game Setup component (seen in the attached screenshot under MultiplayerLocalGame).

Attached Files:

50. Atomic_Monkey

Atomic_Monkey

How make multi playe scee to get work?