Search Unity

Sci Fi Top Down Game Template - PolygonR

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mefisto1982, Apr 19, 2018.

1. mefisto1982

mefisto1982

Hi guys! sorry for the delay... Finally the thread is open.
    I´m happy to announce that i´m still working on new fixes and updates for the Template.
    Right now, I´m working on adding IK to the left arm to help weapon grip and after that I´m going to start recording some video tutorials to help you to understand how I use this template.

If you need anything, please let me know! (here or sending emails to info.polygonr@gmail.com)
    here´s the link to the video tutorials playlist:

Thanks to all the people who bought it, you are helping me a lot to keep pushing it forward!

PolygonR

2. Rich_A

Rich_A

Thanks for adding the thread. Might be a good idea to update the description of the asset in the store with a link to this thread as well.

I'm making a lot more progress with this asset compared to Invector, since a lot more works out of the box, whereas Invector requires a *lot* more setup. That asset was also originally designed for third person hack and slash, not topdown shooters. The performance and build size with PolygonR is also better.

I am getting the following critical bugs with PolygonR though:

1. Weapon_R is not being properly assigned to some of the custom meshes/models that I'm using. For example, none of these zombies are working: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/zombies-pack-v2-79328 . I can work around the problem by manually adding Weapon_R to the model after going through the character creator, but that seems to create other bugs.

2. Blood splats are poking up out of the objects that they should be applied to, and are rotating to face the player character. It seems like they are rotating when they shouldn't be.

I'm using 2017.3.1, Windows 10 and PolygonR 1.4.

It would be nice if we could have a weapon creator wizard in future as well. Definitely we need tutorial videos for all major features.

Deniz-B, jmattnix and twitchfactor like this.
  3. closetgeekshow

closetgeekshow

How well does this template handle non-humanoid player characters? I'm looking for a top down shooter kit to use with a set of mech models I have.

Tmlohbeck likes this.
  4. NicoFlows

NicoFlows

Pardon the newb game dev questions, just started with Unity and this asset. A couple questions to get me started:

1: Character seems to run slow by default I can change the values in the character controller at run time and he goes faster. Also if I change them in PrTopDownCharController class game starts with "normal" speed but seem to revert after I fire shot? Anything anywhere else needs to be changed? Is therew some script on the weapon that changined something?

public float PlayerRunSpeed = 10f;
    public float PlayerAimSpeed = 5f;
    public float PlayerSprintSpeed = 18f;
    public float PlayerCrouchSpeed = 0.75f;

public float RunRotationSpeed = 100f;
    public float AimingRotationSpeed = 25f;

public float AnimatorRunDampValue = 0.25f;
    public float AnimatorSprintDampValue = 0.2f;
    public float AnimatorAimingDampValue = 0.1f;

2: Could you point me to the script that spawns the player object at the spawn point? Trying to get my head around how everything get initialized.

3:Tips for changing to FPS sort of camera? I mostly like the top down shooter, but can think of some scenarios where switching to a simple FPS mode might be fun. I think I saw that there is a default FPS controller, could that be used?

5. Rich_A

Rich_A

Weapon Tutorial added.

6. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

Do this have ranged enemies that attack the player? All demos and videos I see are melee enemies.

7. ChillyMcChill

ChillyMcChill

How can I prevent components from being removed from the main camera on runtime? I need to attach some components to the main player cameras for image effects

8. ChillyMcChill

ChillyMcChill

Seems like the components are only removed with the split screen scene

9. ChillyMcChill

ChillyMcChill

Figured it out, have to place effect/PostProcess scripts on the SoldierLODLocalMultiplayer prefab's camera

mefisto1982 likes this.
  10. ChillyMcChill

ChillyMcChill

Can you only have 4 different weapons? The pickup system only allows selecting between melee/rifle/pistol/shotgun but not an individual prefab?

Also for jumping , is there a way to modify it so players can move while they jump instead of going straight up?

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  11. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

Just followed this video and got my own player working no problem! Now to add my own weapons

12. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

Just got my own weapons in and working! This asset is great, gonna post review on asset store now.

Deniz-B and mefisto1982 like this.
  13. mefisto1982

mefisto1982

Sorry for the delay... It should work ok but only if you already have animations. It´s going to be a little bit of extra work making the animation controllers to work with the player. but it should work.

14. mefisto1982

mefisto1982

Yes, for multiplayer you should use the multiplayer Camera. For single player, right now the camera is included in player´s prefab. To apply those effects you can throw the prefab into your scene, set up everything , apply changes and delete the prefab from scene...

15. mefisto1982

mefisto1982

For weapons, you can see the new video tutorial here in the forum (thanks to Rich_A!!! ) there´s the info to add more weapons to your game.
    About jumping, when I tested jumping the player moved. You can´t move after you jump, but it should let you jump moving. if that´s not the case, it´s not working properly. I´ll check it later.

16. mefisto1982

mefisto1982

1 - I tested it a lot and changed it in 1.41, but... I found a bug where unity keeps using OLD DATA from other scene, and couldn´t fix that... IF WEAPON_R or WEAPON_L aren´t assigned properly, then you should restart unity and try again in a clean scene. that worked for me...
    2 - I´lll check blood Issues in 2017.3.1 this week... I don´t understand why particles are always changing their behavior----:(

thanks for everything Rich_A!

17. MrADN

MrADN

Hello the asset is great I already have some IA and the Player functioning properly and I even change the models of the Player and the Enemies but I can't change the animation (Im noob) maybe I'm forgetting something the animation works but the damage is not done, I filmed a video it explains everything better any help is welcome thanks in advance guys if you need more info I will gladly let you know

Dmg Ok normal Animation controller

Dmg Off custom Animation Controller ( using as base the original in the asset)

Rich_A likes this.
  18. Rich_A

Rich_A

Can you detail the changes to 1.41 here please? Any fixes to the blood rotation bug?

19. play_unity729

play_unity729

I try it on a Mac, it's really sad there's no way to custom the controls because it can't be played using a magic mouse, for that cases maybe awesome be able to change the actions from mouse to keyboard

20. mefisto1982

mefisto1982

Hi! MrADN, sorry for the delay, you need to setup ANIMATION EVENTS in the melee animations to make them HIT
    See the first EVENT is called "MeleeEvent" and defines WHEN the hit is done. The second event defines WHEN the melee ENDS and is called "MeleeEnd"
    upload_2018-5-12_19-59-56.png

Rich_A likes this.
  21. mefisto1982

mefisto1982

Finally fixing blood rotation! I´ll be uploading this fix tonight... it will be available during the week.

22. Rich_A

Rich_A

Great news. Could you explain the fix here please, or maybe upload a single file or lines of code that we need to replace? Rather than downloading a whole new install of the asset, which is problematic for builds already in progress.

23. play_unity729

play_unity729

It's posible change the aim click? because I use a Mac and I'm more an artist than developer so I really don't know if you have some way to change that, because I only try the demo, and I wasn't able to play it because I use a Magic Mouse and is not possible use both buttons on the same time, I want to buy this but I want to know first if its possible, because I want to release first on Mac since I don't own a Windows PC and also I don't have developer account there

24. ChillyMcChill

ChillyMcChill

Can I get AI prefabs working in the deathmatch? When I drop some in the scene only one player can kill the AI the others cannot damage it.

Also how can I adjust the player slope/step height?

Thanks!

25. mefisto1982

mefisto1982

Hi AyyliensRule, here´s how you make AI be damageable by all. team for each player in deathmatch is 0,1,2,3 if the AI is in 5 everyone can kill them.
    About slope, there isn´t a good way right now, I´m using Rigidbody method, NOT character Controller. so the best way is to create ramps to be able to move to higher grounds. I´ve never thought about adding stairs and height variation to the levels because aiming and bullet behavior is really difficult to understand when that happens in a game.
    upload_2018-5-20_18-31-17.png

ChillyMcChill likes this.
  26. mefisto1982

mefisto1982

Hi, yes it´s possible to do that. in the input manager you should change or ADD a positive Button to the AIM input. Now it´s only mouse 1 but you could add another one (both will work ok) using a key
    upload_2018-5-20_18-41-20.png

27. mefisto1982

mefisto1982

yes. but it´s a little bit tricky. I changed the mesh (the plane) used by the particle emitter. now it has a different rotation.
    upload_2018-5-20_18-44-46.png
    Also I changed the particles behavior in the RENDERER tab to WORLD. (that´s a new feature in 2017.3 i think)
    upload_2018-5-20_18-45-52.png
    And also I changed the script that creates the particles This is the NEW "void Splat()" in PrBloodSplatter script
    you should replace it in your script.
    public void Splat()
    {
    for (int i = 0; i < splatNumber; i++)
    {
    RandomRotation();

RaycastHit hit;

int layerMask = 1 << 15;
    layerMask = ~layerMask;

if (Physics.Raycast(rayDir.position, finalOrientation, out hit, 10.0f , layerMask, QueryTriggerInteraction.Ignore))
    {
    if (hit.collider.tag != "Player" && hit.collider.tag != "Enemy")
    {
    //Debug.Log("Collider =" + hit.collider + " " + hit.normal);
    particles.transform.rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(hit.normal);
    Vector3 rot = particles.transform.rotation.eulerAngles;

particles.transform.position = hit.point + (particles.transform.forward * 0.025f);

var emitParams = new ParticleSystem.EmitParams();
    emitParams.rotation3D = rot;
    emitParams.position = hit.point + (particles.transform.forward * 0.025f) + (Vector3.up * Random.Range(0.03f, 0.01f));

particles.Emit(emitParams, 1);
    }
    }
    }
    }

28. mefisto1982

mefisto1982

Also, I´m planning the new updates. I´m adding these two new features next week:
    • Be able to carry more than 2 weapons (the idea is to Limit the weapons but you can choose the limit from 1 to whatever you need.)
    • Grenades behavior small fixes and HUD representation.
    Now, what do you think about these other features? vote please so I can decide wich ones I add first.
    1. RocketLauncher Animations and Weapon
    2. Flamethrower & IceThrower (Character temperature. So you can Freeze and Slow down characters and Objects)
    3. Change Weapon Animation
    4. holster weapons and NOT hide THEM.The character will carry them in SLOTS defined by you.
    5. Slide evasion (roll replace option)
    6. AI attacking from level design setup positions (make AI combat from specific positions if they are close to them ) and maybe crouch when waiting for reload. (difficult feature, will take a time to figure it out...;) )

alexl47 likes this.
  29. play_unity729

play_unity729

It would be awesome to have some animations like: Prone and fixed crouch ( so we don't need to keep pressing the key ), also vault and able to climb objects

d1favero and mefisto1982 like this.
  30. alexl47

alexl47

mefisto1982, good news! I like this features:

2. Flamethrower & IceThrower (Character temperature. So you can Freeze and Slow down characters and Objects)
    3. Change Weapon Animation

And I have some problems with DemoScene_TowerDefenceTest:

when the enemies come to the turret then I get a lot of errors:
    StackOverflowException
    UnityEngine.Random.Range (Int32 min, Int32 max) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/RandomBindings.gen.cs:63)
    PrEnemyAI.RandomHitAnim () (at Assets/SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete/Scripts/PrEnemyAI.cs:449)
    PrEnemyAI.RandomHitAnim () (at Assets/SciFi_Space<message truncated>

Also during these errors the game begins to lag strongly. And neither the turret nor the player does damage to the enemies ...

And new problem found:
    If there is a turret next to me and I kill the enemy with a laser or a rocket launcher, then I get the errors:
    1) NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    PrCharacterRagdoll.SetExplosiveForce (Vector3 position) (at Assets/SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete/Scripts/PrCharacterRagdoll.cs:119)

2) MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'GameObject' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    UnityEngine.GameObject.GetComponent[PrTopDownCharInventory] () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/GameObjectBindings.gen.cs:38)
    PrTurret.Update () (at Assets/SciFi_Space_Soldier_Complete/Scripts/PrTurret.cs:196)

I'm using Unity 2017 .3.1.f1

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  31. MrADN

MrADN

Hello Mefisto Thanks !! for your Answer I have the animation working now making damage with the "events" , Im trying to use the controllers integrated in the project just modifying the animations with the animation of the models I have, I have a similar problem with the running animation I attach a new video with the walking-running-sprinting problem like you can see the animation work but the model didn't actually move, the attacking animation and damages are working great, your picture really help me to solution the last problem haha and the blue circles in the image show me super fast what to change,
    I notice too that when I change the actual animation to my animation this values change (Picture attached) don't know if this is related to my problem I search in the documentation but I understand I can't change this values in the unity but should change in the modeling program (but i didn't make this models :/ ) anyway I hope this is not the problem, once again thanks for your help and about the next releases All the ideas looks great but if I should said what's better to have first I should say, in this order
    1. Be able to carry more than 2 weapons (the idea is to Limit the weapons but you can choose the limit from 1 to whatever you need.)
    2. Grenades behavior small fixes and HUD representation.
    3. Flamethrower & IceThrower (Character temperature. So you can Freeze and Slow down characters and Objects)
    4. holster weapons and NOT hide THEM.The character will carry them in SLOTS defined by you.
    5. RocketLauncher Animations and Weapon
    Sorry for the delay to answer you, anyway i will be working in this project from now so I will answer fast now Thanks!!

Attached Files:

• ss.png
      ss.png
      File size:
      377 KB
      Views:
    d1favero likes this.
  32. Rich_A

Rich_A

I think you should slow down the pace of release and focus on documentation, support and bugfixing. Really you should get rid of the JPGs and provide a big PDF, and prepare video guides for all major features.

I am still getting the Weapon_R bug, where the enemy creation doesn't work properly in the middle of a project. The only solution is to do it in a new project. (2017.4.)

vertigostudios and ChillyMcChill like this.
  33. hottabych

hottabych

Hi. Are there any examples of UNet multiplayer (not local)?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  34. ChillyMcChill

ChillyMcChill

I am having problems with getting 360 controller triggers working in this project

35. amirna2

amirna2

Hi,

I just purchased this asset to get me started on a Sci-Fi top-down shooter prototype, are there any tutorials, docs to get me started or some kind of step-by-step starting from scratch? I am not (yet) proficient with Unity.
    Thanks,
    Amir.

36. lolclol

lolclol

no there is not enought tutorial atm. I am waiting for when publisher will add full support to this kit.

37. lolclol

lolclol

i also urge the author to post some videos about whats new in his kit, not enough info can cause low sales.

38. lolclol

lolclol

hi author, can you add menu system, save system, game objective, different type of AI, game over screen, upgrade skill, upgrade weapon system ?Like this:

MatrixNew likes this.
  39. kotor

kotor

Is it possible to add touch support for mobile devices ? How about melee attack ?

40. lolclol

lolclol

when is the top of the notch update coming ?

41. mefisto1982

mefisto1982

Hi, I have received some reports of enemy weapons spawning in wrong positions. It´s a 2018 bug that I´m fixing (doing some turnaraound with the weapon´s ragdoll setup) and it will be online next week

42. MrADN

MrADN

Hey guys Hope someone can help me I bought this project 6 months ago, and still cant change my animations I already change the attack animation and make it work with the advices mefisto gave me, but the walking and running animations are not working as should I mean the animation play correctly but the character is rooted in the same spot "running in the same spot" turning in the same spot but never moving forward anyone can give me any advice I'm a noob in unity and after days and days of trying to solve it I'm just clueless any advice is welcome thanks

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    anycolourulike likes this.
  43. PeppersGamer

PeppersGamer

Would love to know more on how to setup a Pod character. Wanting to use this for drone enemies from polygonR.

44. Dereos_DEV

Dereos_DEV

My AI soldiers do not go up my ramps, they go through them. Is there a way to fix it?

45. khidash8

khidash8

Can I use it for mobile game devolepment??

46. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

Frequently my AI are totaly invisible, it's totaly random ...

EDIT : I downgrade all my project to unity 2017.3 and reupgrade it to unity 2018.2 and the problem was fixed.

( Thanks to the publisher for helping me by mail )

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  47. scorpionfeast

scorpionfeast

Can we use it for mobbile development? As i am trying it on my mac, bubt its not taking fire input... I wannt single player game but i dont know how i can manage inputs?? Secondly, the solution is not loading i Visual code.. Ssee

Attached Files:

48. Supersilvers

Supersilvers

Hi guys, can anyone tell me how to get my player to respawn when killed please

49. cletothar

cletothar

Hello, is there any way to alterate / deviate the bullets trajectory? Currently they only travel in X axis, but i want them to go with the angle of elevation that player´s cursor is currently at; these could allow me to figure out a way to critical hit...

50. Warsoul

Warsoul

Did you plan to update it to unity 2018.3 ?

Which are the lastest version of unity it work with ?

Deniz-B likes this.