Search Unity

Sci-Fi Effects 2.02 BETA! New Modular Features and FREE Update

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by s7, Dec 6, 2014.

1. s7

s7

Make sure you are using updated scripts from Sci-Fi Effects 1.1

All the compatibility issues with Unity 5.0 has been fixed since then.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Thanks for the quick reply! Was still at 1.0 but thought I had updated- 1.1 fixed it thanks!

3. Szeiner

Szeiner

Hi Forge3D thank you for your work :) is here chance create some "Wormhole" effect please?

4. s7

s7

Hey there and thank you! :)

Absolutely. This is the thing I'm working at the moment and I will make it available with the next content update for the Sci-Fi Effects!

Szeiner likes this.
  5. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Would you ever consider doing a separate pack for magical effects? I think you could do an amazing pack.

6. Szeiner

Szeiner

OOOOOOh thank you maestro you are effect god! :)

7. s7

s7

Well I can't imagine myself getting sick and tired of space ships but who knows ;)

8. s7

s7

Thanks, I appreciate that! :) I'll post a video update soon!

Szeiner likes this.
  9. s7

s7

10. ZJP

ZJP

Any news about the update? ;)

11. s7

s7

I know many of you guys been eagerly awaiting for the release of the 1.2 update I have planned to release by the end of March, and it is taking more time to create than originally anticipated.

I am very sorry for the delay, and I'm working hard to bring it to you as soon as possible. Please know that I am focused as always on making the best possible content for you and I am thankful to all of you for your patience and understanding.

rushbier likes this.
  12. ZJP

ZJP

No problem. Fine for me. :)

13. Jazon-Burnell

Jazon-Burnell

Version 1.1 mentions some added effects like the holographic effect and there appears to be some screenshots of that but are there any demos or at least videos of the new effects?

14. s7

s7

Check the second page of this thread: Click

15. Jazon-Burnell

Jazon-Burnell

16. BubbleGumGamesInc

BubbleGumGamesInc

HI, is the glowing turret in one of the previews using any camera/image effects? or the it's just a shader?
    Did it use any light that could slowdown it down on mobile?

17. s7

s7

It's a dissolve shader with its own set of texture masks to render the effect. You can apply the material to any mesh and with given shader parameters set the dissolve phase with help of script. There is a demo scene included demonstrating the setup and application.

It's just a shader and it does not require any sort of camera image effects to work. Though I recommend enabling HDR and applying some sort of a bloom image effect to the camera. Doing so will help with the glow so it blends better with the scene and looks more naturally.

Yes it is using a light source and the shader itself is a bit heavy for mobiles. May I ask you have you tried it already?

18. BubbleGumGamesInc

BubbleGumGamesInc

Thanks for quick reply. Haven't tried it yet, since we are looking for a glow that's mobile friendly without bloom effect on camera as it brings down fps to below 15

19. WarpBubble

WarpBubble

Hey, great fx pack! I plugged one of your explosion prefabs into my enemy ships and killing the little guys has never been so satisfying!

I'm attempting to setup the warp tunnel effect in much the same way as in your demo. I'm working with an old iPhone 4S so I've disabled the distortion effects and the warp tunnel itself still looks very good with a high frame rate. Where I've run into a problem is with the nebulas. In the editor they look great but when I build to my device I'm seeing a lot of pink! I tried making sure the shader was included under edit -> project settings -> Graphics -> Always Include shaders and I even tried adding the Billboard Nebula shader to a resources folder (going from some advice from an old thread I found where someone else was seeing pink) but neither seemed to help. I also disabled fog as that has caused me some pink issues in the past, but none of my attempts have helped.

Any ideas?

20. s7

s7

Hey, thanks a lot I appreciate that!

Try editing the shader as shown in the sample I uploaded for you. This should help!

http://i.imgur.com/yhC1qq1.png

You can also try commenting out the empty Pass{} which stands for bypassing Dynamic Batching and see if it makes any difference.

Hope this helps!
    Cheers!

21. WarpBubble

WarpBubble

Thanks for the fast response!

That did indeed fix the problem, unfortunately the prefab is a little to intensive for my poor old 4S so I think I'll have to simplify it a little, but at least I'm not seeing pink anymore!

Cheers!

22. ahmetc

ahmetc

Wow the effects are amazing. I am thinking of buying but i really only need mobile(android) effects. How soon will there be a mobile friendly release ? i think a small PDF with the needed tweaks and a few notes about the restrictions would do it as well. Great work anyway, looks really good.

23. Ariastoteles

Ariastoteles

The explosions look pink on mobile devices, is there any fix for those?

I love the pack by the way

Edit:

It was the Heat and Burnout effects that look pink. Changed whatever had those effects to Additive and it solved the issue for now. All except Blue Spark..for that one Debris does the trick.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    s7 likes this.
  24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Wow..a must buy!! I am working on a number of android games...it runs fast..

You just need to optimize!!

Thanks for the great Pack!!

And the (works with my Mobile :rolleyes:) Bump Specular - cubemap reflection...with Spot Glow!! (Surface). I really needed that effect..and the only ones I found were post...I needed it bad for my characters/ships... ..this works great!!

just started working with it..today..(running on my android..profiled at those fps numbers, unity pro 4.6.1)

and it brought this project back from the dead..because now I have a bump/spec/glow!!!

so yes.....thank you..

Patrick

s7 likes this.
  25. s7

s7

Thank you! I would say this package is compatible with the mobiles as most effects are built with textures and particle systems. However there are several effects which are a bit heavy or incompatible because of the hardware limitations (for example heat/distortion - uses grab pass).

Just like Patrick said, you have to optimize depending on your game and platform requirements.

Also you get my first class support. So if you purchased this package feel free to message me at support@forge3d.com and I will gladly sort all your problems.

Cheers!

ahmetc likes this.
  26. s7

s7

Thank you very much for your reply! It's a pleasure for me to know this helped you that much with your project :)

27. Ber92

Ber92

Hi,

I already have a game in the Android Play Store, you can decrease the size of the Plugin? If yes, to what one might reduce?

28. s7

s7

If the size is the primary concern for you, then you might just leave the effects you use and remove everything else which is not required. Unity does not include the whole package in your builds anyway, so please count the texture sizes for the included effects/meshes and also please note you can always shrink down the textures to save extra space.

29. Ber92

Ber92

I am very tempted in the purchase of this package, but I read above that some effects are not compatible on mobile devices, you can do something about it?
    Holographic effect is among them?

30. s7

s7

No its not. There is nothing that might stop it from running on mobiles.

31. Ber92

Ber92

Can you implement in the effect holographic a checkbox that active a effect noise every X seconds? as a loss of signal, then part of the image is distorted. I hope I explained myself.

32. s7

s7

There are various shader parameters which will allow you to customize the look and feel as well as use the scripts to control the effect in runtime.

However there is no option for the distortion of the effect.

Ber92 likes this.
  33. Ber92

Ber92

You've convinced me! I'll take it!

Last question before taking it.

I create games and sell them on the Market as Google Play, can i include elements of this plugin without problems of copyright or other, right?

Though if i use mesh included in the package?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  34. s7

s7

All files included come with the right to use them for personal of commercial projects.

There are absolutely no hidden fees.

The content of Sci-Fi Effects may be used for nearly any project, commercial or otherwise, including feature films, broadcast, commercial, industrial, media, games and so on...

You are not allowed to resell or redistribute as standalone files, however you may use the original files to create work for a client or sell a game created with this package on the Market such as Google Play.

You may also refer to the original Asset Store Terms of Service and EULA: https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

Hope this answers your question!

Ber92 likes this.
  35. Ber92

Ber92

Thanks for the quick response, this plugin seems fantastic! Thanks for the work you have done for us mortals ^^

36. s7

s7

Thank you very much I hope you enjoy! :)

Ber92 likes this.
  37. Ber92

Ber92

In the mobile devices the nebula effect appear pink.
    This error will be fixed up?

38. s7

s7

Try editing the nebula shader as shown in the sample. This should help!

http://i.imgur.com/yhC1qq1.png

Rajmahal and Ber92 like this.
  39. Ber92

Ber92

Thank works perfectly !!

40. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello,

First a big congratulations for the great success on the selling of the Tomorrow Sale, as it seems that it has been the most popular and most sold asset of all, and you absolutely deserve it for making such great effects so well done and awesome, and I am happy for you. :cool:

Now you have much more persons waiting for the 1.2 update with missiles :)(and the others things you want to add) and hope that it can be soon available

PLEASE, HOW TO USE THE F3D PARTICLE SCALE?

The instructions are very clear (as shown here below) and seems easy to understand, BUT the problem is that I attach the F3D particle Scaler to the vulcan_muzzle_example prefab and modify the slider BUT NOTHING happens, it keeps with the same scale, and it does not work. I have tried with others and is the same.

I am sorry that this may be a very basic thing, but I still have a lot to learn about Unity. Please can you be so kind to explain exactly WHERE should I put the F3D Particle scale script?

Scaling particle effects

Particle scaling is made possible with use of F3DParticleScale script located at Assets/FORGE3D/SciFi Effects/Code path.

To scale a particle system attach this script to a parent object and use the slider to scale the parent and all included child objects at the same time

Ber92 likes this.
  41. s7

s7

Hey SpaceRay,

I am so thankful for you kind words!

F3DParticleScale script is included to help you easily scale the particle systems and all the meshes, one or several parented to a gameobject placeholder.

To scale an effect you have to apply F3DParticleScale script to the root gameobject located in your scene.

Please see the sample image I have uploaded for you explaining the scaling process:

Scale Gameobject option should be used whether you have any meshes located inside the effect along with the particle systems. So basically it scales the transform to make sure all the mesh parts inside the effect match the particle systems scale.

Since you are using the _example prefabs, there could be several scripts already attached that could reset your scale just after you click play in the editor.

For example, F3DRandomize script sets the scale to a random value between 1 and 2 units each time you spawn the effect.

Please note the effect prefabs ending with _example are used by the example scenes such as turret example. It is recommended to use effect prefabs located under the Assets\FORGE3D\Sci-Fi Effects\Effects path.

Also it would be much faster to use the default editor scale tool to scale the effects which are created with meshes only. The F3DParticleScale script comes handy when you have one or several particle systems, or particle systems with mesh combo under one effect.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Alex

Ber92 likes this.
  42. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

OH! Thanks very much, very good explained and I now know the reason WHY it did not work for me, as it was because I was using the example prefabs, and not the raw and pure effects, good to know and learn. And also for the very fast answer

I now see the problem and is true that I did NOT notice and see that the examples prefabs HAVE already a prefixed size as for example in the F3DRandomize, so it will override any other script, and I have seen that changing the size in this script it will also resize and make it bigger without using the F3DParticleScale. Cool. Sorry for not knowing about scripts and how they work.

1.2 UPDATE?

Now the important thing for me, do you have any possible estimated date that you could have ready the 1.2 update with the missiles?

I of course understand that you need your time, and that you need to do it right, and also maybe do some testing. I do not want in any way to rush and hurry you, and want that it works in the best possible way and as you want it, just only to now if there could be some possible expected date, for example next week? before end of month? for next month?

BETTER INSTRUCTIONS AND SOME MORE TUTORIAL ABOUT GETTING THE MOST OF THESE?

After releasing the 1.2 update, I would like to suggest if it would be possible to explain more HOW these awesome and amazing effects you have done can really be used, as for noob and beginners is not easy and I would like really to know more on how to get the most of them and the possible and alternative uses could be.

I feel like having a powerful racing car and then use it only to drive inside a small town slowly

Of course is my own fault that I do not have the knowledge and experience needed to be able to use all these (and really ANY other particle effect asset available) awesome effects and must learn

Thanks very much for your help

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  43. s7

s7

Hey, I'm glad you sorted this out! If you ever need help feel free to leave your question in this forum thread or send me an email at support@forge3d.com

44. s7

s7

I know that many of you waiting for the missiles to be added to the Sci-Fi Effect pack and because of that I have decided to publish the update containing the missiles only in a matter of several days.

Please allow the Asset Store team to approve the update which might take up to one week.

This does not mean that I'm discontinuing production of the new effects or anything like that. I have already mentioned in my previous post regarding the new pack and several new effects I have in production. I cant wait to share what I have created already, however it will require some time to polish it to the appropriate state before making the announce.

45. faduci

faduci

Nice rockets, although I'm not sure if rocket physics would agree with the follow method for guided and predictive, as it allows the rocket to basically do an instant U-turn in mid flight if it was launched while the target was on approach and already close. But then again, this is rocket science, and I'm definitely not a rocket scientist.

46. s7

s7

Thank you! Please note there are bunch of settings you can tweak which stand for align speed and velocity of the missile. I would say this shouldn't be treated as a real rocket science example tho :D

47. s7

s7

Whats new in version 1.15:
    - Missile models with total of 8 missiles and additional LOD levels
    - F3DMissile controller and F3DPredictTrajectory
    - Missile explosion, trail and exhaust effects
    - Missile example scene

hopeful likes this.
  48. Nachtwind

Nachtwind

Hi, is there any tutorial on your pooling code? I tried to recreate the turrets code but for some reason this just fails.. and as far as i can trace it down it somehow relates to the pooling..

49. s7

s7

Hey there,

No theres no tutorials on pooling part. Please note this sample code is meant to be used with turret example scene and its not recommended to reuse it with your project. With all said, its a pretty simple thing and I have made it completely compatible with the well know pooling solution sold on the Asset Store.

To get started with VFX Pool sample just add it to some game object in your scene. Set the Pool Items and Pool Length arrays to be the same size:

Fill Pool Items with your prefabs you want to be pre instantiated and set the number of copies using corresponding Pool Length elements. For example, as seen on the screenshot, the pool will instantiate 50 copies of vulcan_projectile_example for you.

Now from your script you can spawn the effect prefab using F3DPool.instance.Spawn() method:

The Spawn method has several important parameters you need to provide such as the transform component of your effect, position, rotation and parent (can be set to null);

The return value is the transform of the spawned prefab.

The very similar way you can use the Despawn() method:

As soon as your prefab gets spawned the pool manager will broadcast a notification to the corresponding method called OnSpawned(), which you have to implement on your own inside of the script, if theres any, located on the prefab.

Heres an example:

I wont be going trough the audio part of the pooling script, as it is self explanatory and acts the same way I have just described.

Hope this makes things clear for you, and let me know if you need further help with it.

All the best,
    Alex

50. Nachtwind

Nachtwind

Excellent, thanks!
    Its more than just a start to go through :)
    This will help me a lot!