Search Unity

Sci Fi 3rd Person Shooter: Twilight At Telos

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by spurge0n, Mar 13, 2012.

1. spurge0n

spurge0n

Got some work to do, but I have a start.

One thing I am noticing is that it runs pretty smooth in the Unity Editor, but I see that the FPS drops significantly in the Web Player... OR DOES IT? I'm using a laptop. I was wondering what FPS rates others might notice with better hardware.

Anyway, feel free to take a look and let me know what you think.

WebPlayer

2. Patriick

Patriick

Upon my first visit to this web player the loading bar wouldn't budge but I refreshed the page a couple of times and it started to load however it's taking it's sweet ass time. lol

After finally loading I gave this a go and I think that you have a nice start here, it needs work for sure. The character takes forever to rotate using the A D controls and the shooting needs some work but there is some nice level design in there but that large room needs something to make it seem a little less empty.

My fps was Averaging around 40.

Great start, I will like to see this progress more so keep it up and I hope you do well. :p

3. Zed134

Zed134

Yeah it takes its time to load... but it does run between 35 and sometimes 55 fps in my browser. It is a quite good start but I agree with Patriick - it surely needs work.

Animations are looking good and smooth (better than my own animations Oo ) and models have a quite good look too. Awesome texture work by the way. Also the fact that there is a intro with a shaking camera is a great approach. But the level itself lacks in atmosphere... In my opinion its just too bright. Maybe you could turn down the ambient light in Render Settings to make it a little bit more sinister? Also as Patriick said: the big rooms are too empty. Well I think a big, epic room can be empty but then floor, ceiling and walls should have a big texture to look unique instead of using small seamless textures on all parts of the room. The small rooms look great though and I also love the mass of details there! :)

The biggest problem are the controls. Turning is much too slow - and well I have a German keyboard layout so Y and Z button are exchanged :D Firing is a bit unhandy :D And this guy is doing sidesteps when you press A,D or turn with the mouse but you can't strafe :( Also a crosshair would be cool and are you planning to let this guy aim up and down? Or are all enemies expected to act on the same heigh level?

But it is definately a great start, I like the scenario! Keep up the good work! I also have a SciFi Third-Person-Shooter in the making, if you are interested take a look at the videos in my signature. I will definately keep an eye on your project. Good Luck :)

4. Meltdown

Meltdown

Its looking pretty cool so far, although I think your game is let down by the look of your character and its animations.
    Also the movement feels awkward. I suggest playing one or two other 3rd person games and matching the movement to those.
    Shooting is not very satisfactory. Perhaps make some particles fire towards the target instead of just showing an explosion at the end,

I have some FPS drops in the web player too.

5. spurge0n

spurge0n

Thanks a lot for the feedback, folks. I'll take your suggestions very seriously.